Author Topic: Trump reportedly insists healthcare replacement will have 'insurance for everybody'  (Read 5906 times)

Offline Just_Victor

Source: FoxNews
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/16/trump-reportedly-insists-healthcare-replacement-will-have-insurance-for-everybody.html

January 16, 2017
President-elect Donald Trump revealed in an interview with The Washington Post that he’s almost finished with a plan to replace ObamaCare and vowed to have “insurance for everybody.”

Trump declined to reveal the pertinent details of the new healthcare plan, but told The Post in the interview published Sunday night that drug companies will be forced to negotiate on Medicare and Medicaid prices. He also plans to fight pharmaceutical companies over drug prices.

The president-elect insisted that his plan for replacing the Affordable Healthcare Act is all but finished, and added that care would have “lower numbers, much lower deductibles.” He went as far to say that he’s ready to reveal it alongside Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan.

“It’s very much formulated down to the final strokes. We haven’t put it in quite yet but we’re going to be doing it soon,” Trump said during the interview with the paper.

He added that he’s still waiting for Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga., to be confirmed as his secretary for health and human services. A hearing for his confirmation has yet to be scheduled.

more
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:42:53 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Mod1

Moved to Politics

Offline montanajoe

"We’re going to have insurance for everybody. There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.”

Hmmm...can't wait to see how the Trump supporters are going to spin this :silly:

Something along the lines of you can't believe anything he says.. :shrug:

Oceander

Frankenstein is still Frankenstein, whether it's Obamacare or Trumpcare. 

Offline libertybele

Trump plans on going up against the pharmaceutical companies to lower drug prices.  This I've got to see. 

The hospitals and insurance companies are just as irresponsible as the pharmaceutical companies.  Years ago I went into the hospital and had surgery.  I received a detailed bill of services rendered and I noticed that the hospital charged the insurance company for the same surgery at the same cost on two different days! When I reported it to my insurance company they told me not to worry about it as the employer was self-insured!  With our current provider, we NEVER ever see a detailed bill.  All we see is the combined charges of the hospital and doctors and what they will pay.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:57:38 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Silver Pines

What, no Trump supporters have shown up to explain and defend this?  Where are they?

Are we supposed to lap up universal healthcare because it's Donald's version?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"We’re going to have insurance for everybody. There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.”
And just how does he plan to do that?

The Democrats' philosophy is "if you don't need or want it, we'll still make you pay for it."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

Trump plans on going up against the pharmaceutical companies to lower drug prices.  This I've got to see. 

The hospitals and insurance companies are just as irresponsible as the pharmaceutical companies.  Years ago I went into the hospital and had surgery.  I received a detailed bill of services rendered and I noticed that the hospital charged the insurance company for the same surgery at the same cost on two different days! When I reported it to my insurance company they told me not to worry about it as the employer was self-insured!  With our current provider, we NEVER ever see a detailed bill.  All we see is the combined charges of the hospital and doctors and what they will pay.

My understanding is the single most effective way of lowering drugs prices is for the government to speed up it's approval process. Often investors in new technologies have to wait for years for a return on their investment because of hangups at the FDA, and when the drug is finally released they want the return immediately. So the cost curve ends up being quite steep.

Its the same with just about every other major cost in our lives - its government interference in some way shape or form that has inflated prices.

Silver Pines

Just saying...there's a pretty amusing thread elsewhere on this issue.  There's all kinds of convoluted fantasizing as to what Trump really meant.  And some of the reactions are pretty straightforward:  "Get the drug companies!"  "What's wrong with healthcare for everybody?"

Offline endicom

One thing to consider is that what we had is gone. As with Islamic State, leftists make certain there is no return to what was.

If there is to be anything like a free market in health care then that will have to develop over time. And to be real, what we had before Obamacare was hardly free market.

Offline libertybele

My understanding is the single most effective way of lowering drugs prices is for the government to speed up it's approval process. Often investors in new technologies have to wait for years for a return on their investment because of hangups at the FDA, and when the drug is finally released they want the return immediately. So the cost curve ends up being quite steep.

Its the same with just about every other major cost in our lives - its government interference in some way shape or form that has inflated prices.

Like I said its going to be interesting to see how Trump negotiates with the pharmaceutical giants. As for the FDA, I think they're a joke.  Too many drugs are on the market with terrible side affects that eventually require taking another drug to combat the side affects. Several drugs have been released to the public only to be recalled within a couple of years and as a result class action lawsuits are filed against the pharmaceutical companies.  For the most part, I still think it's  the insurance companies that drive up the cost.  As a simple example; my doctor lowered the dosage on my prescription from every day to every other day.  However, I pay the same amount for 15 pills as I do for 30 pills.  Why?  In the same aspect my insurance will reduce the cost if I have a prescription written for a 90 day supply, yet that rule doesn't apply to all medications. Why?  Then we have the other aspect of "tiering" drugs - 1st tier drugs have a normal co-pay, 2nd tier has a higher co-pay and 3rd tier isn't covered.  Why? 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

Like I said its going to be interesting to see how Trump negotiates with the pharmaceutical giants. As for the FDA, I think they're a joke.  Too many drugs are on the market with terrible side affects that eventually require taking another drug to combat the side affects. Several drugs have been released to the public only to be recalled within a couple of years and as a result class action lawsuits are filed against the pharmaceutical companies.  For the most part, I still think it's  the insurance companies that drive up the cost.  As a simple example; my doctor lowered the dosage on my prescription from every day to every other day.  However, I pay the same amount for 15 pills as I do for 30 pills.  Why?  In the same aspect my insurance will reduce the cost if I have a prescription written for a 90 day supply, yet that rule doesn't apply to all medications. Why?  Then we have the other aspect of "tiering" drugs - 1st tier drugs have a normal co-pay, 2nd tier has a higher co-pay and 3rd tier isn't covered.  Why?

Its a mess, no doubt.

But I have faith that the market, if allowed to work with a minimum o regulatory oversight by the government, would sort all of this out pretty quickly.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"What's wrong with healthcare for everybody?"

Nothing at all and that is what we had prior to Obamacare!  People are apparently easily confused as to the difference between healthcare and health insurance!  They are NOT the same thing!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Last year my wife went to our doctor of over 25 years and was told they no longer accepted our insurance. So we found a new doctor and my wife went in as she was feeling puny. He had her take some blood tests. One of which was a Gene Variant test. My wife told him that she saw no need for that test, but he pressed her and  she finally agreed. When we got the bill, we saw that for that one test they billed our insurance for $22,000. Our insurance decided that $600.00 of that would be paid, but by us. My wife went back to that doctor and told them we wouldn't pay anything for a test that she didn't even want. I then found out that our old doc was still in our plan.

@libertybele

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Hmmm...can't wait to see how the Trump supporters are going to spin this :silly:

"Spin"?   Gimme a break.

The so-called 20 million that have insurance only because of the ACA is most likely 10 million.

They can be added to Medicaid.   Problem solved...in a sense that the rest of the country won't be bankrupted by a government mandated "tax" and outrageous monthly premiums and deductibles.

Let the free-market determine the costs...letting insurers cross State lines for customers.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Nothing at all and that is what we had prior to Obamacare!  People are apparently easily confused as to the difference between healthcare and health insurance!  They are NOT the same thing!

Yep!    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

HonestJohn

From the article:

President-elect Donald Trump revealed in an interview with The Washington Post that he’s almost finished with a plan to replace ObamaCare and vowed to have “insurance for everybody".

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
From the article:

President-elect Donald Trump revealed in an interview with The Washington Post that he’s almost finished with a plan to replace ObamaCare and vowed to have “insurance for everybody".

Health insurance is no guarantee of healthcare!  If you don't believe that just ask those who currently have policies but can't afford the deductibles!

The ONLY solution to this mess is for the government to get the hell out of the way and let the marketplace work its magic!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Can I just say that I can't pay for it to get it?

Silver Pines

@Bigun

Great point.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
QFT!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

From the article:

"Trump warned Republicans that if the party splinters or slows his agenda, he is ready to use the power of the presidency — and Twitter — to usher his legislation to passage."

Somebody else did this and I just...can't...quite...remember...who it was...

HonestJohn

Health insurance is no guarantee of healthcare!  If you don't believe that just ask those who currently have policies but can't afford the deductibles!

The ONLY solution to this mess is for the government to get the hell out of the way and let the marketplace work its magic!

You'll need to tell your Congressmen that, loudly and frequently.  Because Trump's going to make them follow *HIS* tune if we don't.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
What do you think would happen if the government got the hell out of the way and allowed everyone to buy a health insurance policy from wherever they liked tailored to their individual current circumstances and allowed them to change that coverage on an annual basis as their circumstances changed?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

Last year my wife went to our doctor of over 25 years and was told they no longer accepted our insurance. So we found a new doctor and my wife went in as she was feeling puny. He had her take some blood tests. One of which was a Gene Variant test. My wife told him that she saw no need for that test, but he pressed her and  she finally agreed. When we got the bill, we saw that for that one test they billed our insurance for $22,000. Our insurance decided that $600.00 of that would be paid, but by us. My wife went back to that doctor and told them we wouldn't pay anything for a test that she didn't even want. I then found out that our old doc was still in our plan.

@libertybele

A few years back I got an invoice for ~$40,000 for rotator cuff repair surgery. My doctor advised I disregard it and explained that it was just the starting point for negotiations with the insurance company. They settled at around $15k.

Somethings really wrong when numbers are presumably so far out of synch with what the market would bear, even as an opening bid.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:25:52 pm by skeeter »