Author Topic: Trump Threatens BMW With Border Tax on Cars Built in Mexico  (Read 4883 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Trump Threatens BMW With Border Tax on Cars Built in Mexico
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 04:10:48 pm »
People who purchase BMWs are brand conscious....not price conscious.

If one can afford $50K for the best driving machine on the planet...they can afford the price increase due to any tariff.

If there weren't already high import taxes on BMW's Mercedes-Benz Audi etc more people would be able to afford them.

If this idiotic tariff were to go through it would play into the lefts 1% meme because that's who would be left to buy them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »
If there weren't already high import taxes on BMW's Mercedes-Benz Audi etc more people would be able to afford them.

If this idiotic tariff were to go through it would play into the lefts 1% meme because that's who would be left to buy them.

So....are you implying there should be price controls....so that EVERYBODY can buy a Beemer?   LOL!

Furthermore, if the price of BMWs were too high where they couldn't be sold in the USA...they'd have to go the way of Bentley and Rolls Royce, or go out of business.   The market works that way.  At least it did when I was growing up. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 04:18:21 pm »
"A bully pulpit is a conspicuous position that provides an opportunity to speak out and be listened to.

This term was coined by President Theodore Roosevelt, who referred to the White House as a "bully pulpit", by which he meant a terrific platform from which to advocate an agenda. Roosevelt used the word bully as an adjective meaning "superb" or "wonderful", a more common usage in his time than it is today. Another expression which survives from this era is "bully for you", synonymous with "good for you"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_pulpit

""Jawboning" or "moral suasion" in economics and politics is an unofficial technique of public and private discussions and arm-twisting, which may work by the implicit threat of future government regulation. In America during the Democratic administrations of Presidents Kennedy and Johnson officials tried to deal with the mounting inflationary pressures by direct government influence or jawboning. Wage-price guideposts were established, and the power of the presidency was used to push businesses and labor into going along with these guideposts. The term attracted some derision and is often associated with the Biblical story, in Judges 15:15, of Samson slaying a thousand of his enemies using the jawbone of an ass. Alfred E. Kahn, an economic advisor to President Carter, was particularly known for his dislike of the method.[1]

The term jawboning has also been used to refer to Herbert Hoover's efforts to convince employers to keep wages high as prices fell during the Great Depression. While Hoover was successful in obtaining such agreements, they did little to alleviate unemployment. The term has been used more recently in other contexts. During the 2000 U.S. Presidential Election, George W. Bush criticized outgoing president Bill Clinton for not attempting to lower oil prices by "jawboning OPEC" to increase supply."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawboning
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 04:23:22 pm »
So....are you implying there should be price controls....so that EVERYBODY can buy a Beemer?   LOL!

Furthermore, if the price of BMWs were too high where they couldn't be sold in the USA...they'd have to go the way of Bentley and Rolls Royce, or go out of business.   The market works that way.  At least it did when I was growing up.

Never said anything about price controls. That's your words. I did say that I think the taxes on imported cars is too high and adds to the price in an unfair way.

Umm hate to break it to you but Bently and RR are still in business and are still sold in the U.S. 

Car companies like BMW are forced to sell their highest end cars here in order to be profitable due to the high tariffs. Imagine how much more they'd make if the taxes were less and they could bring different models here that average folks could afford.

THAT is how the free market should work.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 04:24:47 pm »
"A bully pulpit is a conspicuous position that provides an opportunity to speak out and be listened to.

This term was coined by President Theodore Roosevelt, who referred to the White House as a "bully pulpit", by which he meant a terrific platform from which to advocate an agenda. Roosevelt used the word bully as an adjective meaning "superb" or "wonderful", a more common usage in his time than it is today. Another expression which survives from this era is "bully for you", synonymous with "good for you"."

That's very nice.  However, Mr. Trump appears to be conforming the modern usage of "bully," as in -- "That's a nice car brand you got there.  It would be a pity if something bad happened to it."

This was precisely the kind of thing that everybody here would rightly be angry about when Obama did it.  I guess standards are malleable when it's "our SOB" instead of theirs, eh?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:25:27 pm by r9etb »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 04:28:24 pm »
That's very nice.  However, Mr. Trump appears to be conforming the modern usage of "bully," as in -- "That's a nice car brand you got there.  It would be a pity if something bad happened to it."

This was precisely the kind of thing that everybody here would rightly be angry about when Obama did it.  I guess standards are malleable when it's "our SOB" instead of theirs, eh?

Different president... different set of rules.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 04:31:07 pm »

Being an S Class owner, I do not want the riff raff being able to afford one. It's the whole point of the car.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 04:35:22 pm »
Different president... different set of rules.

"It's not fascism when we do it...."

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 04:36:50 pm »
Being an S Class owner, I do not want the riff raff being able to afford one. It's the whole point of the car.

I get that.

But what about someone that wants in on the ground floor with a C class but can't because all MB sends here is the top level ones? 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:24 pm »
Never said anything about price controls. That's your words. I did say that I think the taxes on imported cars is too high and adds to the price in an unfair way.

Umm hate to break it to you but Bently and RR are still in business and are still sold in the U.S. 

Car companies like BMW are forced to sell their highest end cars here in order to be profitable due to the high tariffs. Imagine how much more they'd make if the taxes were less and they could bring different models here that average folks could afford.

THAT is how the free market should work.

I was merely saying that Bentley and Rolls Royce have decided to appeal and cater to a much smaller target audience in order to remain in business.

Sort of like...build unparalleled quality, and they will come.

And lowering the price unilaterally is holding a 'sale'.   A clearance.   

I suppose you have never owned/driven one?   Especially the M series??

It will definitely give you a different perspective, @txradioguy
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:45 pm »
How can this be solved by increasing freedom and reducing government? (generic comment I have a feeling I'll be asking a lot on most issues).

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:57 pm »

:beer:     even though the S Class is Mercedes and not BMW, I understand your point, @Frank Cannon

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 04:53:37 pm »
I get that.

But what about someone that wants in on the ground floor with a C class but can't because all MB sends here is the top level ones?

That's exactly why the stupid C Class was produced.   So the peasants could buy one.

Stop digging....

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »
I was merely saying that Bentley and Rolls Royce have decided to appeal and cater to a much smaller target audience in order to remain in business.

Sort of like...build unparalleled quality, and they will come.

And lowering the price unilaterally is holding a 'sale'.   A clearance.   

I suppose you have never owned/driven one?   Especially the M series??

It will definitely give you a different perspective, @txradioguy

Hmmm I guess I'll have to ponder this the next time I'm driving my Z3 on the back roads of Kentucky.  :pondering:

BMW MB Audi bud the same fine quality vehicles for Europeans with decidedly lower month incomes than the middle class in the U.S. yet those folks are still driving the above named vehicles.

Now granted some of them do have manual transmissions...cloth interiors and you have to use your own arm strength to roll the windows down. But the quality of construction is still the same.

And at the same time there are still plenty of top end and M series AMG and R Series hotrods blasting g down the Autobahn.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:58:24 pm by txradioguy »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »

LOL.. I like to drive around in my Volvo wearing a monocle with my pinky out knowing there are only a handful in town (and if I get the new S90, I may be the only one). Even though it isn't Merc or BMW level, it makes me feel above all the lower classes in their Cadillacs. I am all for the government making them more expensive to keep the riff raff from making them popular. (said with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek).

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 05:07:22 pm »
:beer:     even though the S Class is Mercedes and not BMW, I understand your point, @Frank Cannon

@txradioguy specifically cited Benz along with the poorly built Audi.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 05:08:42 pm »
The Republic is lost.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 05:09:05 pm »
Hmmm I guess I'll have to ponder this the next time I'm driving my Z3 on the back roads of Kentucky.  :pondering:

BMW MB Audi bud the same fine quality vehicles for Europeans with decidedly lower month incomes than the middle class in the U.S. yet those folks are still driving the above named vehicles.

Now granted some of them do have manual transmissions...cloth interiors and you have to use your own arm strength to roll the windows down. But the quality of construction is still the same.

And at the same time there are still plenty of top end and M series AMG and R Series hotrods blasting g down the Autobahn.

I absolve you.   Go and sin no more.    :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 05:09:53 pm »
LOL.. I like to drive around in my Volvo wearing a monocle with my pinky out knowing there are only a handful in town (and if I get the new S90, I may be the only one). Even though it isn't Merc or BMW level, it makes me feel above all the lower classes in their Cadillacs. I am all for the government making them more expensive to keep the riff raff from making them popular. (said with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek).

:beer:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 05:58:16 pm »
People who purchase BMWs are brand conscious....not price conscious.

If one can afford $50K for the best driving machine on the planet...they can afford the price increase due to any tariff.

Spoken like a true Barrack Hussein Obama devotee.

See?

Not much difference between Fascists and Marxist Communists.  Both of them insist that they can pick winners and losers and declare that "rich people" can afford to pay for whatever taxation and punitive tariffs they put on their consumables.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »
Spoken like a true Barrack Hussein Obama devotee.

See?

Not much difference between Fascists and Marxist Communists.  Both of them insist that they can pick winners and losers and declare that "rich people" can afford to pay for whatever taxation and punitive tariffs they put on their consumables.

You missed my point entirely, because you blind hatred clouds your vision.

The free market determines whether or not their products are "worth it" to them.

I had an M5 and an M3 back in 2001.   Bought them as "Certified", used.  2000 M5 had 13K on the odometer and the 1999 M3...38K miles.

That's a lot more satisfying than 'crying' that new ones were unaffordable.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 06:23:29 pm »
... Now granted some of them do have manual transmissions...

Stop right there.

That's actually the prime reason BMW should pull out of the US market. Automatic transmissions.

What's next, training wheels on a Ducati?

Want to have a real car - learn to drive it.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 06:23:58 pm »
I absolve you.   Go and sin no more.    :laugh:

Danke!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 06:26:50 pm »
Stop right there.

That's actually the prime reason BMW should pull out of the US market. Automatic transmissions.

What's next, training wheels on a Ducati?

Want to have a real car - learn to drive it.  :tongue2:

Both my M5 (6 speed) and M3 (5 speed) were stick.   Anything else would be laughable.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 06:30:36 pm »

I should have known you were a Volvoist. You are lucky that we now have Subaru drivers. They have taken all the stigma of ownership away from you Volvo folks with their radical Leftist bumper stickers and exceedingly poor driving habits.