Author Topic: Rubio's choice: Buck Trump or back down on Tillerson?  (Read 4348 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio's choice: Buck Trump or back down on Tillerson?
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:47:50 am »
 Rubio's choice: Buck Trump or back down on Tillerson?

The Florida senator goes out on a limb, and everyone's watching where he comes down.

By Burgess Everett

01/12/17 06:52 PM EST

Marco Rubio got tough with Rex Tillerson. Now he has to decide if he’s willing to take on Donald Trump, too.

The Florida senator produced quite a fireworks show this week with his grilling of a seemingly rattled Tillerson at his confirmation hearing for secretary of state. But opposing Tillerson on the Senate floor — and antagonizing Trump, whom Rubio was dismissing as a “con man” around this time a year ago, before eventually endorsing him — is another thing entirely.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/marco-rubio-rex-tillerson-confirmation-state-233562?lo=ap_a1
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Rubio's choice: Buck Trump or back down on Tillerson?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:55:23 am »
All show. Marco is trying to secure himself a spot as a key figure.

I'm not that wild about Tillerson but cmon... you can't ask an aspiring Secty of State to call a leader of another major power a 'war criminal' right out the gate. You have to at least put on a few miles as an actual statesman first.

HonestJohn

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:15:00 am »
Rubio's up for reelection in six years.

I don't think he really gives a d@#n about Trump at the moment.

That said, the recent election kind of showed him as having no backbone.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:02 am »
   Rubio has a long history of showboating and then the classic fold, Unlike Sen. Cruz, Rubio will do as his paymaster, McConnell tells him to do.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 02:20:42 am »
I think Rubio is going to continue to buck Trump to prove he has bigger hands! I think he's sending a clear message that he's going to continue to stick with the RINO's.  Rubio's nay vote could very well mean Trump has to nominate someone else as SOS.  If that happens, Rubio will have demonstrated what we can expect from the Senate in the future.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:22:20 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 02:27:39 am »
I think Rubio is going to continue to buck Trump to prove he has bigger hands! I think he's sending a clear message that he's going to continue to stick with the RINO's.  Rubio's nay vote could very well mean Trump has to nominate someone else as SOS.  If that happens, Rubio will have demonstrated what we can expect from the Senate in the future.

Rubio will have to bring his buddies McCain and Graham along with him to torpedo the Tillerson appointment and I think this is one time McConnell will be able to 'herd his cats', Paul may be a wildcard also like he was last night on the Repeal of ocare.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 02:29:19 am »
   Rubio will have to bring his buddies McCain and Graham along with him to torpedo the Tillerson appointment and I think this is one time McConnell will be able to 'herd his cats', Paul may be a wildcard also like he was last night on the Repeal of ocare.

I thought Tillerson was preferred by the Bush family, which I always equated with the GOPe.

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 02:33:49 am »
I thought Tillerson was preferred by the Bush family, which I always equated with the GOPe.

He is, Tillerson and the Bush dynasty go back a long way.  He's put a lot of time and money into Texas Politics, and has a lot of pull, even Cruz is gushing over him.

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 02:38:08 am »

I'm not so sure that McConnell is going to reign any of his herd in; they intend to take Trump down.  As for Rand, I'm no longer a fan; this isn't the first time he's disappointed me.  Interesting that he's providing his own healthcare plan which is interesting, because Cruz came up with a plan quite awhile ago.  Rand is now going to try to make healthcare his claim to fame.

I stand by my statement I made awhile; even though we hold the majority, don't expect a whole lot of change; other than the changing of the guard in the Oval office, we still have the same leadership and Congress is still packed with the same RINO's.   :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:39:16 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:20 am »
   Rubio has a long history of showboating and then the classic fold, Unlike Sen. Cruz, Rubio will do as his paymaster, McConnell tells him to do.

He is doing his Corey Booker imitation...just 2 years too early.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 02:52:35 am »
I still can't get the scene out of my mind where Marco Rubio was leading Melania and Donald out on the Capitol terrace overlooking the National Mall toward the Washington Monument....and he was pointing something out to her.

Only in my fantasy, Trump picked him up by the back of his pants and hurled him over the railing.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:01 am »
Rubio's a fairly hard-core Cuban-American from Cuban refugees, he's  a long time anti-Communist in the little Havana mode; anyone with slight knowledge of him knows this and Rubio has long distrusted Putin.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 02:56:37 am »
Anybody catch Lindsey Graham on Bill O'Reilly tonight?

He admitted that John McCain showed him the report and it was him that decided to turn it over the FBI.

He's a real war hawk.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:49 am »
Rubio with real roots in Cuba, really does reflect the plight of the Cuban refugees, no way is he going to kiss the bootheel of the USSR/Russia that has made the Cuban people live in Suffrage for so long, he was high-profile in being critical of the normalization of relations with Cuba.  It probably affects him and his constituency more than that of any Senator in the countries but haters are going to hate.

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:04 am »
I find it interesting that after  Rubio lost his home state of Florida he was going to drop out of politics altogether and was somehow "persuaded" to run for re-election to keep his Senate seat. Conservatives running against him miraculously went back to their House seats to pave the way for him. Rubio did very little campaigning and hardly a campaign ad was heard and he still won. Now I know why. Never underestimate the power of the DC cartel.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 03:06:18 am »
Rubio reflects the Cuban people in the US.

He's not half Cuban, half Canadian, he has real roots to his community.

He won his race 52% to 44%; not bad, not as good as it could be but when one knows Florida showed up to vote in that election, pretty good.

He was shown to have been able to win the presidency per the polls as well against virtually any Democratic nominee.

No way, is a product of Cuban refugees going to take kindly to the long time Soviet/Russian overlords like Putin.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 03:08:33 am »
I find it interesting that after  Rubio lost his home state of Florida he was going to drop out of politics altogether and was somehow "persuaded" to run for re-election to keep his Senate seat. Conservatives running against him miraculously went back to their House seats to pave the way for him. Rubio did very little campaigning and hardly a campaign ad was heard and he still won. Now I know why. Never underestimate the power of the DC cartel.

Yes, it must have been the Washington Cartel that won that election,

Let's see Rubio won his election by 52% to 44%; Trump won Florida, 49.06% to 47.79%, quite a bit closer.

I guess the cartel couldn't swing as many votes to Trump.

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 03:09:40 am »
  McConnell and the NRSC pulled a Cochran lite on Florida, I thought I read somewhere that the NRSC gave allot of money to Rubio to convince him to retain that seat.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 03:10:11 am »
Though calling Putin a war-criminal might be too strong of a term for a confirmation hearing,

There are plenty of people who do; maybe it's best to ask blunt direct questions.

It be Obama or Putin or Hollande of France, if you are bombing civilians, you may well be a war criminal. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 03:11:05 am »
Rubio reflects the Cuban people in the US.

He's not half Cuban, half Canadian, he has real roots to his community.

He won his race 52% to 44%; not bad, not as good as it could be but when one knows Florida showed up to vote in that election, pretty good.

He was shown to have been able to win the presidency per the polls as well against virtually any Democratic nominee.

No way, is a product of Cuban refugees going to take kindly to the long time Soviet/Russian overlords like Putin.

Rubio's a double talking putz.

I'll never forget the Gang of Eight.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 03:12:54 am »
Russia may well be making deals with the Taliban as we speak, this is widely reported in the news.
https://counterjihadreport.com/2017/01/09/russias-new-favorite-jihadis-the-taliban/

You don't think there's a potential for war crimes in that? Or for all that has gone on in Ukraine and Crimea?

What are we in a den of Putin lovers?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 03:19:43 am »
Rubio's a double talking putz.

I'll never forget the Gang of Eight.

Well, the topic isn't "the Gang of Eight", have you ever lived in a Communist Country? This is an off-topic attack on Rubio and should be seen as that.

Amnesty is also granting legal residency, something that Senator Ted Cruz pushed.

Trump back-pedaled on immigration too from years ago.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 03:22:16 am »
Well, the topic isn't "the Gang of Eight", have you ever lived in a Communist Country? This is an off-topic attack on Rubio and should be seen as that.

Amnesty is also granting legal residency, something that Senator Ted Cruz pushed.

Trump back-pedaled on immigration too from years ago.

Rubio is a double talking putz, and Cruz opposed his wretched amnesty bill.

I haven't lived in a communist country but am married to someone who has.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:23:54 am by skeeter »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 03:28:43 am »
Wow. Gang of Eight Rubio, a thoroughbred loser who was a disaster running for President, who said he wasn't going to run for reelection and then ran for reelection, is showing himself to be a petty little stooge. Didn't see that coming.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 03:30:27 am »
Rubio is a double talking putz, and Cruz opposed his wretched bill.

I haven't lived in a communist country but am married to someone who has.

Ted Cruz's campaign, full of dirty tricks, lied about what another Christian said about the Bible, the word of God, that Christian being Marco Rubio.   So, if what amounts to being close to blasphemous and lying about the Bible rings one bell, so be it but it doesn't me.

Ted Cruz offered amnesty, so I guess he is a double talking putz as well.
http://www.texasmonthly.com/burka-blog/ted-cruz-amnesty-enthusiast/