Author Topic: Trump’s Top Prosecutor Sessions Considers Pushing Christian Fundamentalist Laws  (Read 5523 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump’s Top Prosecutor Sessions Considers Pushing Christian Fundamentalist Laws
ublished on January 10, 2017 by Sam Knight

Amid the confirmation hearing for Donald Trump’s choice to be the next Attorney General, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) bemoaned how critics on the left were characterizing the selection.

Hatch said that the nominee, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), was not too far on the right to merit consideration.

He then got Sessions to commit to the possibility of enforcing anti-obscenity laws with renewed vigor.

“It was part of the Department of Justice for a long time and I would consider that,” Sessions said, when asked by Hatch about reestablishing a specific anti-obscenity division within the Department of Justice.

Continued: https://www.districtsentinel.com/trumps-top-prosecutor-sessions-considers-pushing-christian-fundamentalist-laws/

Offline Applewood

Ok I'm bewildered.  Anti-obscenity laws are Christian Fundamentalist? 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It is, according to this heavily left-slanted article.  When I was reading it, the words sounded just like Ted Kennedy.  Weird.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

HonestJohn

I wondering how one can define obscenity?

I mean, that's the biggest reason those laws fell out of use.

Offline skeeter

Potter Stewart got it right.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Apparently Orrin Hatch thinks it's a good idea.  Makes you wonder whose side he's on.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Let's be clear on this.  Hatch was asking Sessions about enforcing existing federal laws.  The Attorney General and the DOJ don't get to make the law, and aren't supposed to decide to enforce or not to enforce various laws according to their whims.  So Sessions said yes, he'll enforce the laws as they're written.  And the left is complaining about this!  They make it clear, over and over, that they don't believe (and never did) in the rule of law, only in the rule of powerful men (when they are those men in power).
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Just_Victor

Let's be clear on this.  Hatch was asking Sessions about enforcing existing federal laws.  The Attorney General and the DOJ don't get to make the law, and aren't supposed to decide to enforce or not to enforce various laws according to their whims.  So Sessions said yes, he'll enforce the laws as they're written.  And the left is complaining about this!  They make it clear, over and over, that they don't believe (and never did) in the rule of law, only in the rule of powerful men (when they are those men in power).

Exactly!  If we don't like obscenity laws, then Congress needs to repeal them.  The whole notion that we don't enforce laws that we don't like places us at the whims of law enforcement.  Our laws are supposed to be sovereign, not the people who enforce them.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline goatprairie

It is, according to this heavily left-slanted article.  When I was reading it, the words sounded just like Ted Kennedy.  Weird.
Any kind of adherence to any standards of morality that have been practiced for several millennia is "Christian fundamentalism" to raging leftists. 
If it be known, leftists are for dismissing virtually all standards of traditional morality.  Their mottos are "if it feels good, do it" and "how does what I do bother/affect you?" are things they aspire to.
Except what you do bothers them tremendously to the point of them trying their hardest to stop you.

Offline musiclady

Good question.

Apparently everyone likes obscenity other than us right wing wackos who still believe the laws that the whole country used to believe in.

Weird.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

goopo

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Victoria33

@HonestJohn
@mystery-ak

You are exactly right.  I worked on a court case about our county judge and his office computer- he was charged with watching obscene material on that county computer.  Now, there were NO rules in that courthouse about use of computers.  This case was filed to get rid of this county judge not long after he won election.  A fierce Democrat district judge wanted him out of office and got this case filed.

A friend of mine set up a website for me to keep track of this case as it went along and lawyers from numerous cities, were reading that website, along with some state officials. 

At one point, I covered what "obscene" is or is not.  It varies with the individual.  As one example, I used what is obscene in dress.  If a woman shows her ankles, is that obscene?  If a woman shows her knees, is that obscene?  If a woman wears shorts, is that obscene?  If a woman shows her shoulders, is that obscene? 

In the end, the county judge was found not guilty.

I don't want the government deciding what is obscene because I have seen that used to destroy someone.

HonestJohn

Any kind of adherence to any standards of morality that have been practiced for several millennia is "Christian fundamentalism" to raging leftists. 
If it be known, leftists are for dismissing virtually all standards of traditional morality.  Their mottos are "if it feels good, do it" and "how does what I do bother/affect you?" are things they aspire to.
Except what you do bothers them tremendously to the point of them trying their hardest to stop you.

What morality?  The below are quite traditional, but I doubt it's the morality you're espousing.  And are far older than the recent prudery of the Victorian era to which you seem to be casting reference.

This one? (Hindu/Jain temples in Khajuraho, India)

Or this one? (the Shinto festival of Hōnen Matsuri in Komaki, Japan... the one in Kawasaki is even more explicit)

Mod1 message:  Let's leave the Dick Pics to Carlos Danger.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:00:11 pm by Mod1 »

HonestJohn

@HonestJohn
@mystery-ak

You are exactly right.  I worked on a court case about our county judge and his office computer- he was charged with watching obscene material on that county computer.  Now, there were NO rules in that courthouse about use of computers.  This case was filed to get rid of this county judge not long after he won election.  A fierce Democrat district judge wanted him out of office and got this case filed.

A friend of mine set up a website for me to keep track of this case as it went along and lawyers from numerous cities, were reading that website, along with some state officials. 

At one point, I covered what "obscene" is or is not.  It varies with the individual.  As one example, I used what is obscene in dress.  If a woman shows her ankles, is that obscene?  If a woman shows her knees, is that obscene?  If a woman wears shorts, is that obscene?  If a woman shows her shoulders, is that obscene? 

In the end, the county judge was found not guilty.

I don't want the government deciding what is obscene because I have seen that used to destroy someone.

I learned that long ago.  It was when I saw two ladies get into a verbal fight (in Korea, one Western and the other Korean).  They both viewed the other as a "slut".

The American was a "slut" because her blouse was low enough to show some cleavage.  And to Asians, in general, any woman showing cleavage is low-class and seeking a hook-up.

And the Korean was a "slut" because she wore *very* short shorts.  Because, to Westerners, the more leg that is shown... the looser the morals of the wearer.

But to Asians, there is no taboo on showing any amount of leg, but there is for cleavage.  And vice versa to Westerners (to an extent).  So what could be normal clothing to each culture can easily be seen as 'obscene' to the prudes of the other.

Below are two pictures that are "obscene" to the prudes of each culture.

Normal to Asians (shocking to Westerners):

Normal to Westerners (shocking to Asians):

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:29:48 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Applewood

Liberals want the courts and the Justice Department to make law.  They got their way under Obama with Obamacare and gay "marriage," among other things, and they also want a JustUs Department that will enforce the laws it likes and ignore the ones they don't.  They need to be made aware that their way of doing things which flourished under 8 years of Obama rule is not going to happen now.  The old days are gone.

Offline Just_Victor

What morality?  The below are quite traditional, but I doubt it's the morality you're espousing.  And are far older than the recent prudery of the Victorian era to which you seem to be casting reference.

Or this one? (the Shinto festival of Hōnen Matsuri in Komaki, Japan... the one in Kawasaki is even more explicit)

I had a sneaky suspicion that you were going to get a lesson in the subjective definition of obscene from one of the mods.
 8888forgot

Wingnut

I had a sneaky suspicion that you were going to get a lesson in the subjective definition of obscene from one of the mods.
 8888forgot

Knock it off Wingnut.

« Last Edit: Today at 1:00:11 PM by Mod1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Ruh roh.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Just_Victor

Knock it off Wingnut.

« Last Edit: Today at 1:00:11 PM by Mod1 »

I didn't even get to see what @Wingnut actually posted.

Now I'm sad  :hard crying:

Wingnut

I didn't even get to see what @Wingnut actually posted.

Now I'm sad  :hard crying:

I posted a picture of me (back in 1978) dropping trou and Mooned her!

Offline musiclady

I learned that long ago.  It was when I saw two ladies get into a verbal fight (in Korea, one Western and the other Korean).  They both viewed the other as a "slut".

The American was a "slut" because her blouse was low enough to show some cleavage.  And to Asians, in general, any woman showing cleavage is low-class and seeking a hook-up.

And the Korean was a "slut" because she wore *very* short shorts.  Because, to Westerners, the more leg that is shown... the looser the morals of the wearer.

But to Asians, there is no taboo on showing any amount of leg, but there is for cleavage.  And vice versa to Westerners (to an extent).  So what could be normal clothing to each culture can easily be seen as 'obscene' to the prudes of the other.

Below are two pictures that are "obscene" to the prudes of each culture.

There is a significant difference between "immodest" or "inappropriate" and "obscene."

The cultural difference in clothing isn't really germane to the discussion of obscenity, IMO.

Offline Victoria33

@HonestJohn

Your pictures of the two women, each being obscene in another country, are exactly what I was speaking of.  I don't want our government to decide what is obscene, as that can be used to destroy people's lives and I saw it happen.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@HonestJohn

Your pictures of the two women, each being obscene in another country, are exactly what I was speaking of.  I don't want our government to decide what is obscene, as that can be used to destroy people's lives and I saw it happen.

"I'll know it when I see it" still seems to be the only reasonable standard.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline goatprairie

How do you know what kind of morality I espouse? You don't. The images you posted of the Kama Sutra are one thing, but Indians don't do that kind of stuff in the open. They do it indoors...if they do it like that.
Leftists are aiming at a society where anything is alllowed anywhere. Including things like the images you posted. Would you like to see that happening in the open? I sure wouldn't.  Consenting adults can do what they want behind closed doors. Just not out in the open.

Offline skeeter

"I'll know it when I see it" still seems to be the only reasonable standard.   :shrug:

Its not really hard to define obscenity in such a manner that most people can agree.

The 'who's morality?' question is sophistry simply intended to make the attempt to define impossible. I always wonder to what purpose.