Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209290 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #525 on: April 20, 2017, 03:24:57 pm »

Then she was diagnosed with bipolar after number 5, takes meds, and is a much calmer, more pleasant person to be related to.

@truth_seeker

My ex doesn't have that excuse. I've see her IQ score. She just isn't very bright. I didn't care because she had such a nice personality nothing else mattered.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #526 on: April 20, 2017, 03:28:26 pm »
@sketer

You did. We all did. We just ignored it because we were young and foolish enough to think it didn't apply  to US. It was for other people who weren't as nice,as smart,and as sincere as we were. WE were "Special"and the laws of reality did not apply to US.

I wish I could claim the youthful innocence of most of you,but the truth is I grew up unloved and very cynical. I was raised by people who never bothered to adopt me,and their relatives even refused to allow their children to play with me when I was 4 and 5 years old. By the time I was 10,"cousins" were sidling up next to me and subtly whispering in my ear "You know you don't belong in this family,right?" By the time I was 13 I was noticing how much nicer and helpful my "mother and father" were to my older "brother" who was related. When he tured 16,my "father" co-signed for him to buy almost new Mercury. By the time I was 16,my "father" had sold 3 cars I had bought with my own money earned working in the summer as a deckhand on a shrimp boat,a mechanics helper in a garage,and working at a gas station doing minor repairs and oil/tire changes. When I asked where my cars were,he told he had sold them. When I asked how what right he had to sell MY cars that I had paid for myself out of money I had earned working,he said "My house,my yard,my cars,my money."

When I was a pre-teen and he would be fixing a car or something in the house,I would try to get him to teach me what he was doing and why it needed to be done,and the kindest thing he ever said to me was "Go away. You are too stupid to learn". Which was pretty ironic when you consider that I had taught myself to read and write before I started elementary school,I had a library card by the time I was 8,and I was the one they had to get to read letters and sales contracts for them.

I was also told by the time I was 8 that once I turned 18 I was out of the house and on my own because they had nothing for me. Which may have been a little brutal sounding,but it was the truth and a kindness in disguise. The fact is they HAD nothing. My older brother had diabetes and my mother had health problems,and my father worked and lived from week to week,just to make a living. When I was about 5 or 6 I watched him get on his knees in the bathtub one Sunday morning with a nutpick and a pair of pliers and pull 3 of his own teeth because he couldn't afford a dentist and he couldn't afford to miss a day's work even if he had been able to afford a dentist. He got up Monday morning and went to work,too. He worked until he was 62,and in all that time he only missed work 3 days. All 3 were when he was in his late 50's and fell off a roof while shingling it.

Anyhow,I grew up understanding reality from the time I was a small child,so I had and have no excuse for ignoring reality and falling for that crap. It caught me totally by surprise,and I have no excuses.

Some things are more powerful than reason.

Sadly,some people never seem to learn,and keep clinging to those illusions until the go into the ground.

Pete, that makes my heart hurt.  God bless you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #527 on: April 20, 2017, 05:47:51 pm »
@sketer

You did. We all did. We just ignored it because we were young and foolish enough to think it didn't apply  to US. It was for other people who weren't as nice,as smart,and as sincere as we were. WE were "Special"and the laws of reality did not apply to US.

I wish I could claim the youthful innocence of most of you,but the truth is I grew up unloved and very cynical. I was raised by people who never bothered to adopt me,and their relatives even refused to allow their children to play with me when I was 4 and 5 years old. By the time I was 10,"cousins" were sidling up next to me and subtly whispering in my ear "You know you don't belong in this family,right?" By the time I was 13 I was noticing how much nicer and helpful my "mother and father" were to my older "brother" who was related. When he tured 16,my "father" co-signed for him to buy almost new Mercury. By the time I was 16,my "father" had sold 3 cars I had bought with my own money earned working in the summer as a deckhand on a shrimp boat,a mechanics helper in a garage,and working at a gas station doing minor repairs and oil/tire changes. When I asked where my cars were,he told he had sold them. When I asked how what right he had to sell MY cars that I had paid for myself out of money I had earned working,he said "My house,my yard,my cars,my money."

When I was a pre-teen and he would be fixing a car or something in the house,I would try to get him to teach me what he was doing and why it needed to be done,and the kindest thing he ever said to me was "Go away. You are too stupid to learn". Which was pretty ironic when you consider that I had taught myself to read and write before I started elementary school,I had a library card by the time I was 8,and I was the one they had to get to read letters and sales contracts for them.

I was also told by the time I was 8 that once I turned 18 I was out of the house and on my own because they had nothing for me. Which may have been a little brutal sounding,but it was the truth and a kindness in disguise. The fact is they HAD nothing. My older brother had diabetes and my mother had health problems,and my father worked and lived from week to week,just to make a living. When I was about 5 or 6 I watched him get on his knees in the bathtub one Sunday morning with a nutpick and a pair of pliers and pull 3 of his own teeth because he couldn't afford a dentist and he couldn't afford to miss a day's work even if he had been able to afford a dentist. He got up Monday morning and went to work,too. He worked until he was 62,and in all that time he only missed work 3 days. All 3 were when he was in his late 50's and fell off a roof while shingling it.

Anyhow,I grew up understanding reality from the time I was a small child,so I had and have no excuse for ignoring reality and falling for that crap. It caught me totally by surprise,and I have no excuses.

Some things are more powerful than reason.

Sadly,some people never seem to learn,and keep clinging to those illusions until the go into the ground.

Making an assumption here, but I can only imagine what you must think when you hear the phrase 'white privilege'.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #528 on: April 20, 2017, 05:54:47 pm »
Pete, that makes my heart hurt.  God bless you.

Makes more than just my head hurt, @Sanguine.   **nononono*

@sneakypete, I would have never guessed it.  You're a good and tough fellow, I knew that, but that childhood sucks.  I'll remember this every time I think I got a short stick.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #529 on: April 20, 2017, 07:14:02 pm »
My college girlfriend recently married her high school sweetheart. I dated her for 2 years after he dumped her. Whether he knows he is her 4th husband is anyone's guess.

Have they posted an obit for Steve "Steven" Stephens, the Facebook killer?

Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #530 on: April 20, 2017, 07:23:33 pm »
My college girlfriend recently married her high school sweetheart. I dated her for 2 years after he dumped her. Whether he knows he is her 4th husband is anyone's guess.

Have they posted an obit for Steve "Steven" Stephens, the Facebook killer?

POS doesn't deserve one. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #531 on: April 20, 2017, 10:23:14 pm »
Makes more than just my head hurt, @Sanguine.   **nononono*

@sneakypete, I would have never guessed it.  You're a good and tough fellow, I knew that, but that childhood sucks.  I'll remember this every time I think I got a short stick.

@Cyber Liberty

I don't want anyone to think I am ungrateful for their concern,because I am not and I do appreciate it,but I don't need or deserve any sympathy. I was not abused or neglected,and one advantage I had over most kids was I knew I would be on my own when I turned 18,so I had plenty of time to prepare for it.

There are many,MANY neglected and abused children who had life a LOT tougher than I did who deserve a lot more consideration than I do.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #532 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »
POS doesn't deserve one.

@Cyber Liberty

Depends on how you see it,a celebration of his life,or a celebration of his death.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #533 on: April 20, 2017, 10:30:58 pm »
Making an assumption here, but I can only imagine what you must think when you hear the phrase 'white privilege'.

@skeeter

I literally laugh out loud,even though I have mixed blood. I am 1/4 Tuscarora Indian. Other than my black eyes,I easily pass for white,though. And  no,there is ABSOLUTELY NO danger of my ever putting in for professional vic-tum Indian status,either. So people did bad stuff to your ancestors 200 years ago. BGD! Get over it,losers!

And there are and were many,MANY other white children who had it a hell of a lot worse than me. Especially the ones born a generation or more earlier.

In FACT,my mother and father had it a HELL of a lot worse. My father had 5 brothers and sisters younger than him,and he had to quit school in the 3rd grade after HIS father died and go to work as an apprentice at a local shipyard to help support his family and send his younger brothers and sisters to school. He basically went though life with a 2nd grade education.

My mother arguably had it worse. Both her parents died in the flue epidemic of 1918,leaving her and her 5 year old sister alone in the world. The local "shadow government"   (The local KKK) stepped in and found a place for them to live with a crippled Civil War veteran. He only had one leg and was old and needed help,and those two little girls had no where to live and no money,so they needed help,too. The Klan figured they could help each other,so they sent the girls to live with him to cook,sew,clean house,and keep him company.

My mother told me it wasn't long before the old man started "being mean to them",so 1 Friday night they showed up out in the yard on horseback with torches,and called the old man out into the yard and read the law to him. She said the leader told him something like "We understand you have not been sending those girls to school,and that you haven't been buying groceries suitable for two small children,and that you have been spending your pension on whisky and gambling instead. That ends NOW! If we ever hear of this happening again we will come back and tie you to that tree in the yard and beat you half to death with horse whips.",and left.

My  mother said the only man treated them just fine after that,but he died when she was 13,so she married a WW-1 Vet in his 30's in order to have a place for her and her sister to live. He got gassed during WW-1 and it turned him into a mean drunk,so she divorced him when she was older and able to be independent and took his daughter from a previous marriage with her. Actually went to court and got legal custody. I actually met and knew this man when I was a child. We would sometimes visit him.

Anyhow,she and my father got married sometime in the late 30's and remained married until she died in 1980.

And what today's PC history books are NOT telling people is lives like that were as common for white children prior to the 1950's as they were black children or any other children. Nobody GAVE them a damn thing but a hard time. What they got,they got by going out and working for it.

Nobody "GAVE" the white man a single damn thing but a attitude. He/we got to where he is by working hard and fighting for it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:46:00 pm by sneakypete »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #534 on: April 20, 2017, 10:46:46 pm »
@skeeter

I literally laugh out loud,even though I have mixed blood. I am 1/4 Tuscarora Indian. Other than my black eyes,I easily pass for white,though. And  no,there is ABSOLUTELY NO danger of my ever putting in for professional vic-tum Indian status,either. So people did bad stuff to your ancestors 200 years ago. BGD! Get over it,losers!

And there are and were many,MANY other white children who had it a hell of a lot worse than me. Especially the ones born a generation or more earlier. Nobody "GAVE" the white man a single damn thing but a attitude. He/we got to where he is by working hard and fighting for it.
Talked on Saturday with a favorite cousin-in-law. He is 1/2 California Hispanic son of career Air Force father-his name is Fernandez, and 1/2 Filipino son of a military wife.

Conservative and Catholic, he and I hold good political discussions.

During my youth race was less of a topic.  I grew up around a lot of Hispanic kids. Sports, classroom, town etc. Sure there were differences. But when we talk these days we share and enjoy our commonly held experiences.

My father was out of the Marine Corps, with severe Okinawa wound after 45 days combat, before his 20th birthday--having served over two years, and the war ended.

He always told me to prepare to leave home asap. I did at 18, while struggling to do college and life.

As soon as he saw me as self-sufficient (father, husband), he became my great friend.

But to him, it was never too early to become an adult male. His father was on his own from age 14, leaving the Dakota Territory to head to Wyoming and Montana.

Far too much work to do feeding and sheltering for idleness. Study seriously, or work. The only two alternatives. Period.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #535 on: April 20, 2017, 11:00:14 pm »

But to him, it was never too early to become an adult male. His father was on his own from age 14, leaving the Dakota Territory to head to Wyoming and Montana.

Far too much work to do feeding and sheltering for idleness. Study seriously, or work. The only two alternatives. Period.

@truth_seeker

Amen! It was that way for me when I went to work as a deckhand on a shrimp boat the summer I was 13. I worked a man's job,got paid a man's share of the catch,and was treated like a man while ashore. If somebody gave you some lip,you knocked him on his ass to send a message,or you got used to living with having to take a lot of crap. Then again,some of the sons of the shrimpers and fishermen got afterschool jobs working in the packing house during the week,and 20 hours on Sat and Sun. You had to be careful grabbing a teen age boy that was used to spending all day tossing around 130 lb fishboxes. You might not like what you grab as much as you thought you were. Like I said,if you worked like a man you were paid and treated like a man,regardless of how old you were.

That's the kind of thing that makes you grow up self-confident and independent,and IMHO,something MUCH needed by most of today's "youts".

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #536 on: April 20, 2017, 11:09:16 pm »
@truth_seeker

Amen! It was that way for me when I went to work as a deckhand on a shrimp boat the summer I was 13. I worked a man's job,got paid a man's share of the catch,and was treated like a man while ashore. If somebody gave you some lip,you knocked him on his ass to send a message,or you got used to living with having to take a lot of crap. Then again,some of the sons of the shrimpers and fishermen got afterschool jobs working in the packing house during the week,and 20 hours on Sat and Sun. You had to be careful grabbing a teen age boy that was used to spending all day tossing around 130 lb fishboxes. You might not like what you grab as much as you thought you were. Like I said,if you worked like a man you were paid and treated like a man,regardless of how old you were.

That's the kind of thing that makes you grow up self-confident and independent,and IMHO,something MUCH needed by most of today's "youts".
I got married while still 19 and was working on a trucking dock, unloading local trucks. My father was consistent. My next brother went straight from high school to the northern Sierras working as an apprentice carpenter when he was still 17.

Part of being a good father then, was making the sons tough enough to withstand the work of supporting their families.

Too many sissies, weaklings and crybabies these days.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

« Reply #537 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:21 pm »
I got married while still 19 and was working on a trucking dock, unloading local trucks. My father was consistent. My next brother went straight from high school to the northern Sierras working as an apprentice carpenter when he was still 17.

Part of being a good father then, was making the sons tough enough to withstand the work of supporting their families.

Too many sissies, weaklings and crybabies these days.

Amen!!!  It is extremely important to instill a "work ethic" in our children; something that seems to be missing.  Lots of kids these days grow up feeling that they are owed a wage just for showing up to work and they seem to always have an excuse for being late!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:20:22 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #538 on: April 21, 2017, 12:06:38 am »
Amen!!!  It is extremely important to instill a "work ethic" in our children; something that seems to be missing.  Lots of kids these days grow up feeling that they are owed a wage just for showing up to work and they seem to always have an excuse for being late!
I don't think they understand the importance of being on time. One of my 'odd jobs' was while I was waiting for an oil company to pick up a rig, and it started out as a week of temporary work in an Oilfield supply warehouse. When I came in the door, (they saw me coming) I was handed the first of many stacks of inventory cards and basically told to 'have at'. Well, it was a grand opportunity to learn the stock, something new, what was where, etc., so I did. I do my best at whatever I do, or I'm not satisfied. I set my standards higher than most bosses.

One of my co-workers was a bit OCD, which was great, because that made stuff a lot easier to find, and I finished up inside of the week.

The rig was slow getting put together because of the weather, and they kept me on, thrilled that I was always 5-10 minutes early. In fact, the boss (the owner's son), told me he was thinking about getting rid of the OCDish guy because he was always five to ten minutes late (the boss was out the door at 5 and didn't notice the guy working later). I knew that would be a mistake, and informed him that the guy was a great hand except for the time thing, and he even worked late to make up for it, staving off the sacking, and said I'd talk to him about it.
So, I told the guy (who had been griping about not getting a raise) just be here on time, whatever it takes, change your clocks, set your alarm early, whatever but be here 5 minutes early every day and make it a habit. If that gripe isn't in the way, they'll see what a hand you are. He did. I was there three months before the oil company got the rig up and running, and he had the raise when I'd been there for 6 weeks, well before I left on very good terms.
Sometimes punctuality is all it takes, one way or the other.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #539 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:13 am »

@libertybele

The thing that gives ME instant brain-freeze these days are all the "under 25" employees at businesses where I go,stopping what they are doing to answer their cell phones or view a text.

Right up to the time I retired the second time you got a non-emergency phone call at work you would either be fired or be given a week off without pay,and young workers today go ballistic if told they can't receive and send texts or phone calls while on the clock. My local friend with the garage had a new mechanic walk off the job because he was told he was there to work,not receive and send texts all day.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #540 on: April 21, 2017, 12:23:26 am »

Sometimes punctuality is all it takes, one way or the other.

@Smokin Joe

If you ain't there on time,the parade doesn't get started.

I enlisted in the army for airborne unassigned on my 17th birthday,and IIRC,the very first thing pounded into my head was to "be where you are supposed to be on time,wearing the proper uniform,and equipped for the task assigned.",and they weren't playing. Either everybody is where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be and equipped as they are supposed to be,or lives WILL be lost. Maybe even yours.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #541 on: April 21, 2017, 12:43:02 am »
@Smokin Joe

If you ain't there on time,the parade doesn't get started.

I enlisted in the army for airborne unassigned on my 17th birthday,and IIRC,the very first thing pounded into my head was to "be where you are supposed to be on time,wearing the proper uniform,and equipped for the task assigned.",and they weren't playing. Either everybody is where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be and equipped as they are supposed to be,or lives WILL be lost. Maybe even yours.
When I calculated out the per minute cost of rig time, onshore, it was roughly $70-$100/minute, depending on what service companies were on location.  I'd have office geologists on one side debating and company hands on the other side champing at the bit. Be there or don't bother coming back. I remember being told when I was just a ginsel, "The only excuse for being late is a death in the family--your own."

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #543 on: April 21, 2017, 01:30:28 am »
Yes, RIP.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #544 on: April 22, 2017, 11:10:45 pm »
Cyclist Michele Scarponi dies after training accident

Cyclist Michele Scarponi has passed away after a training accident near his home. Tim de Waele/Corbis via Getty Images
    Associated Press

MILAN -- Michele Scarponi, who won the Giro d'Italia in 2011, died after a collision with a van while training on Saturday. He was 37.

Scarponi was training in Italy near his home of Filottrano, near Ancona, when he was hit by a van at a crossroad, Team Astana said.

According to Italian media reports, the Astana cyclist died on the spot and was unable to be revived by emergency services which arrived promptly.

Team Astana called it "a tragedy too big to be written" in a statement.

"We left a great champion and a special guy, always smiling in every situation, he was a real mile stone and a landmark for everyone in the Astana Pro Team," it added.

Continued: http://www.espn.com/cycling/story/_/id/19216253/cyclist-michele-scarponi-dies-training-accident

RIP,

RIP to Cuba Gooding Sr. also.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #545 on: April 22, 2017, 11:38:12 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Holdsworth

Allan Holdsworth (6 August 1946 – 15 April 2017)[1] was a British guitarist and composer. He released twelve studio albums as a solo artist and played a variety of musical styles spanning a period of more than four decades, but is best known for his work in jazz fusion.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/fans-pay-for-guitar-legend-allan-holdsworths-funeral-and-then-some/ar-BBA8yfV?OCID=ansmsnnews11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3IShAvZX4
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:39:46 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #546 on: April 23, 2017, 01:12:49 am »
Happy Days star Erin Moran dead at 56.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #547 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:29 am »
One of those child stars who seemed to have a hard time being an adult. Sad.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #548 on: April 23, 2017, 01:58:55 am »
http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/happy-days-star-erin-moran-dead-at-age-56/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ErinMoranDead

BREAKING NEWS
‘Happy Days’ Star Erin Moran Dead At Age 56
Inside the heartbreaking details.
By Radar Staff
Posted on Apr 22, 2017 @ 21:41PM

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #549 on: April 23, 2017, 02:01:06 am »
Erin Moran, TV's Joanie Cunningham, dies at 56

Moran first achieved fame as a child actress at the age of 6. In 1974, at the age of 14, she was cast in her signature role, that of Joanie Cunningham, in the hit TV show Happy Days. When she reached adulthood, her character was spun off to the ill-fated Joanie Loves Chachi.

Moran fell out of the entertainment industry after Happy Days ended its run, being relegated mostly to bit roles and, in the 2000s, reality TV guest appearances. She was part of a lawsuit against CBS over Happy Days royalties that netted her $65,000 as her share of the settlement.

She had fallen on hard times near the end of her life, living in a trailer park in Indiana, where she was found unresponsive.

Death notice from TMZ

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024