Author Topic: Maybe John Roberts did us a favor by saving ObamaCare  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Blizzardnh

Maybe John Roberts did us a favor by saving ObamaCare
« on: December 15, 2016, 09:55:53 pm »
I’m not going to lie to you. I was as mad as anyone at Chief Justice Roberts when he - not once but twice - saved ObamaCare by engaging in legal gymnastics to avoid finding it unconstitutional - which it clearly was. First he pretended individual mandate fine was a tax, even after the Obama Administration had explicitly said it was not while trying to sell it to the public. Then he ignored clear language about who had to run the exchanges in order for them to be eligible for subsidies.

The other conservative Justices (even Anthony Kennedy) were ready to throw out the entire law on the grounds that it exceeded the authority of Congress. We thought Chief Justice Roberts saw the law the same way, and we suspected when he decided otherwise that he was worried about his “legacy” as Chief Justice and about how he would be pilloried by the media and by liberal historians.

As an ardent defender of George W. Bush and his presidency, I had long pointed to Chief Justice Roberts as one of the reasons Bush couldn’t be fairly tarred as “not a true conservative.” Go and rescue ObamaCare, Chief Justice Roberts, and you’re not making this easy for me!

But let’s consider what would have happened if the Supremes had indeed tossed out ObamaCare - either in the 2012 case or in the 2015 case - compared with where we are now. If ObamaCare is tossed during 2012, the Republican-controlled House certainly has leverage to bargain with Obama in coming up with an alternative. But it still has to deal with Harry Reid in the Senate and with Obama himself in the White House. Given the way these battles tended to go during the Obama presidency, how much better do you think the ultimate bill would have been?
more. http://canadafreepress.com/article/maybe-john-roberts-did-us-a-favor-by-saving-obamacare

Offline Applewood

Re: Maybe John Roberts did us a favor by saving ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:00:59 pm »
Interesting take.   Unfortunately, it appears that most voters threw away the opportunity to make better choices and opted for a former reality TV star instead.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 10:03:59 pm »
I’m not going to lie to you. I was as mad as anyone at Chief Justice Roberts when he - not once but twice - saved ObamaCare by engaging in legal gymnastics to avoid finding it unconstitutional - which it clearly was. First he pretended individual mandate fine was a tax, even after the Obama Administration had explicitly said it was not while trying to sell it to the public. Then he ignored clear language about who had to run the exchanges in order for them to be eligible for subsidies.

The other conservative Justices (even Anthony Kennedy) were ready to throw out the entire law on the grounds that it exceeded the authority of Congress. We thought Chief Justice Roberts saw the law the same way, and we suspected when he decided otherwise that he was worried about his “legacy” as Chief Justice and about how he would be pilloried by the media and by liberal historians.

As an ardent defender of George W. Bush and his presidency, I had long pointed to Chief Justice Roberts as one of the reasons Bush couldn’t be fairly tarred as “not a true conservative.” Go and rescue ObamaCare, Chief Justice Roberts, and you’re not making this easy for me!

But let’s consider what would have happened if the Supremes had indeed tossed out ObamaCare - either in the 2012 case or in the 2015 case - compared with where we are now. If ObamaCare is tossed during 2012, the Republican-controlled House certainly has leverage to bargain with Obama in coming up with an alternative. But it still has to deal with Harry Reid in the Senate and with Obama himself in the White House. Given the way these battles tended to go during the Obama presidency, how much better do you think the ultimate bill would have been?
more. http://canadafreepress.com/article/maybe-john-roberts-did-us-a-favor-by-saving-obamacare

Roberts may be THE most conservative of the justices - because he knows the proper role of the Court in the scheme of our Constitutional system.    The job of fixing or junking ObamaCare should be left to the people acting by means of their elected representatives,  not unelected judges.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:07 pm »
Interesting take.   Unfortunately, it appears that most voters threw away the opportunity to make better choices and opted for a former reality TV star instead.

Newt Gingrich says he's like a combination of Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt, and PT Barnum and he says it as if its a good thing.

To me it sounds like the opening of a bad joke.

A democrat, a progressive and a carnival barker walk into a bar.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:21:56 pm »

I'm not sure he is a "former".

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:39 pm »
Roberts may be THE most conservative of the justices - because he knows the proper role of the Court in the scheme of our Constitutional system.    The job of fixing or junking ObamaCare should be left to the people acting by means of their elected representatives,  not unelected judges.   
The problem is that he set a terrible precedent: that the government can coerce people into things the government cannot constitutionally mandate through the tax code. Any future despot in waiting is going to take advantage of that and use Roberts's ruling to justify it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 10:24:39 pm »
If ObamaCare is tossed during 2012, the Republican-controlled House certainly has leverage to bargain with Obama in coming up with an alternative. But it still has to deal with Harry Reid in the Senate and with Obama himself in the White House. Given the way these battles tended to go during the Obama presidency, how much better do you think the ultimate bill would have been?
Yet the default would have been no bill. We'd still be free of the bill, we'd have a precedent in which it could never happen again, and the Democrats would have been neutered with the only option they'd have being a directly taxpayer-funded scheme like single payer.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 10:30:33 pm »
Robert's is going to turn out to be as bad a pick for the right as Kennedy and IIRC Brenen. Not were picked by Republican Presidents and then went left after confirmed.

The two Conservatives left on the bench are Thomas and Alito.

Robert's decisions on immigration...gay marriage and especially Obamacare have been huge disappointments.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 10:39:15 pm »

Hogwash. If Roberts wanted to make a point about judicial activism he should've picked a case where the congress had actually acted within the bounds of the Constitution.

In this case he had the chance to exercise his one and only responsibility as a member of the Supreme Court - determine the Constitutionality of a sweeping and utterly intrusive new law - but instead he punted.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 10:45:20 pm »
Hogwash. If Roberts wanted to make a point about judicial activism he should've picked a case where the congress had actually acted within the bounds of the Constitution.

In this case he had the chance to exercise his one and only responsibility as a member of the Supreme Court - determine the Constitutionality of a sweeping and utterly intrusive new law - but instead he punted.

:amen:  :amen:  and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 10:46:19 pm »
 :beer:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 10:46:25 pm »
Robert's is going to turn out to be as bad a pick for the right as Kennedy and IIRC Brenen. Not were picked by Republican Presidents and then went left after confirmed.

The two Conservatives left on the bench are Thomas and Alito.

Robert's decisions on immigration...gay marriage and especially Obamacare have been huge disappointments.

I'm guessing they probably don't think of Alito as a conservative any more.

If you recall some years ago we conservatives cheered Justice Alito speaking up during the state of the union address when Obama lied about the citizens united decision. However since then Donald Trump has taught us to hate money in politics as much as your average Bernie Sanders fan but apparently only for Trump's opponents.

However ASlito may be a conservative again now that Trump has decided to fill his cabinet with the very same billionaires he said were destroying politics and America.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 11:46:52 pm »
It's about time the Supreme Court gets cleaned up, Trump will have his nominees and the Femi-Nazi, Home-Fascist regime of what we've had to put up will be a thing in the past as we know from Civil War days, evil can be conquered.

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 11:56:00 pm »
It's about time the Supreme Court gets cleaned up, Trump will have his nominees and the Femi-Nazi, Home-Fascist regime of what we've had to put up will be a thing in the past as we know from Civil War days, evil can be conquered.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 02:09:04 am »
The problem is that he set a terrible precedent: that the government can coerce people into things the government cannot constitutionally mandate through the tax code. Any future despot in waiting is going to take advantage of that and use Roberts's ruling to justify it.

That is not so.   The established precedent was that the Constitutionality of taxes cannot be challenged until AFTER they go into effect.  Roberts did not deviate from that precedent.

Unfortunately, no one saw fit to challenge the tax aspect of the law since it has gone into effect.  So Roberts has been denied the opportunity to now declare it 'unconstitutional'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:27 am »

Yes, I guess if Trump picks Cruz or whomever else qualified individual; we all can celebrate that we helped get them nominated with our vote! Right?

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 02:28:42 am »
@TomSea if your are truly coming around to Ted, maybe there is hope for my TDS after all.

Edited to add 'I just took you OFF Ignore......'
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:29:56 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 02:31:20 am »
@TomSea if your are truly coming around to Ted, maybe there is hope for my TDS after all.

No he's actually taking a swipe at Cruz supporters.  Hes claiming we'll jump on the Trump bandwagon if he puts Cruz on the SCOTUS bench. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 02:32:30 am »

Don't patronize me, I supported the nominee as I did in '08 and '12.  I never voted for Trump pre-election anywhere, not in online polls, not in the primary.

Now, all I said was all of us whom voted for the nominee if he makes conservative court appointments like Ted Cruz or others. That's a simple statement.

"Coming around to Ted", skip the basura (garbage in Spanish), I voted for him. Don't be self-righteous or evasive, I know nothing gets done without teamwork; and all of us who worked as a team can take credit for those nominations. That is a true statement.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 02:39:47 am »
So, really, if Cruz were nominated to the Supreme Court, in hindsight, we can say those who helped get Cruz there were Trump voters and in turn, sort of more supportive of Cruz than many of his supporters.

I don't expect this logic to fly with the Cruz-Cult; it's not the most difficult thing in the world to not pass bills, lose most of your Supreme Court cases, not win anywhere virtually in the Bible Belt in the primaries and repeat what Rush Limbaugh says; but I suppose Ted is adequate.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:40:26 am by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 02:45:10 am »
So, really, if Cruz were nominated to the Supreme Court, in hindsight, we can say those who helped get Cruz there were Trump voters and in turn, sort of more supportive of Cruz than many of his supporters.

I don't expect this logic to fly with the Cruz-Cult; it's not the most difficult thing in the world to not pass bills, lose most of your Supreme Court cases, not win anywhere virtually in the Bible Belt in the primaries and repeat what Rush Limbaugh says; but I suppose Ted is adequate.

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 02:46:54 am »
Don't patronize me, I supported the nominee as I did in '08 and '12.  I never voted for Trump pre-election anywhere, not in online polls, not in the primary.

Now, all I said was all of us whom voted for the nominee if he makes conservative court appointments like Ted Cruz or others. That's a simple statement.

"Coming around to Ted", skip the basura (garbage in Spanish), I voted for him. Don't be self-righteous or evasive, I know nothing gets done without teamwork; and all of us who worked as a team can take credit for those nominations. That is a true statement.

@TomSea I didn't mean to come off as patronizing, and I too held my nose in 2008 and voted for Palin, in 2012 I sprayed some Glad and Flushed. 
   I would have rather had Ted as the nominee knowing Rock Solid Conservatives were no doubt being appointed to the USSC.   
   If this experiment in populism fails I expect that everyone I know will be saying 'I was for Cruz all along'.
   Unlike Rush wanting obummer to fail, I want Trump to succeed, I'm just not as optimistic as you are that he can do that.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 02:50:29 am »
Anyway, this is definitely off-topic, but if Cruz were nominated for the SCOTUS; I was more supportive than the Beckites and others.

Offline corbe

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 02:55:03 am »
   Cruz did screwup letting Beck anywhere near his campaign, looking back, marrying that globalist goldman sachs girl was probably a mistake too.  :tongue2:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 09:56:43 am »
No he's actually taking a swipe at Cruz supporters.  Hes claiming we'll jump on the Trump bandwagon if he puts Cruz on the SCOTUS bench.

Progressives are always nasty self righteous scumbags. Its why I don'[t respect any of them in the least.