Author Topic: Trump’s 17 cabinet-level picks have more money than a third of American households combined  (Read 2589 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Trump’s 17 cabinet-level picks have more money than a third of American households combined

The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US.

Affluence of this magnitude in a US presidential cabinet is unprecedented....

...The household data on which we based our comparison is from the 2013 Survey of Consumer Finances. Collected by the Federal Reserve, this survey is the most recent comprehensive data source on American wealth. The estimates were adjusted for inflation and an increase in the number of American households. It is possible that the wealth of low-income Americans has changed since 2013, but trends over the last several decades suggest a large change is unlikely.
It is worth noting that almost 13% of American households have zero or negative wealth because of debt, so we are adding together these households with those that have at least some wealth....

http://qz.com/862412/trumps-16-cabinet-level-picks-have-more-money-than-a-third-of-american-households-combined/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline thackney

Trump’s 17 cabinet-level picks have more money than a third of American households combined

The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US.

Affluence of this magnitude in a US presidential cabinet is unprecedented....

...The household data on which we based our comparison is from the 2013 Survey of Consumer Finances. Collected by the Federal Reserve, this survey is the most recent comprehensive data source on American wealth. The estimates were adjusted for inflation and an increase in the number of American households. It is possible that the wealth of low-income Americans has changed since 2013, but trends over the last several decades suggest a large change is unlikely.
It is worth noting that almost 13% of American households have zero or negative wealth because of debt, so we are adding together these households with those that have at least some wealth....

http://qz.com/862412/trumps-16-cabinet-level-picks-have-more-money-than-a-third-of-american-households-combined/

Is selecting very successful people for the jobs supposed to be considered a bad thing?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

geronl

Trump thinks poor people (poorer than himself) are losers.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In all fairness, a person with $0 in his bank account and no debt has more money than a quarter of American households combined. This says more about how bad society has dug itself into personal debt to keep up with their neighbors than it does about these guys.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

Better than selecting professional pols sucking off the government teat.  Only a Lib would bitch about the money aspect of his picks.

You should look at his cabinet a bit closer if you think they aren't professional pols and professional teat suckers.

HonestJohn

Is selecting very successful people for the jobs supposed to be considered a bad thing?

I thought 'experts' were a bad thing in Trumplandia?

Wingnut

I don't have a problem with this.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Hmmm well have to think about that.  I don't know does it matter?  How did they make their wealth?  By cheating or stealing?  Were they charitable and humble with their wealth or is their identity in the money?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

Were they charitable and humble with their wealth or is their identity in the money?

People can do whatever they want with their wealth. It's their wealth.

Offline MajorClay

Wow, I have more money than the lowest 13% combined!!!! :whistle:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US."

So what,Comrades?

Maybe you think he should have picked homeless drifters or people working the counter at Mickey D's that are in their 40's or 50's?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline beandog

I don't either.  When did having a lot of money become a bad thing. :shrug:

Wingnut

I don't either.  When did having a lot of money become a bad thing. :shrug:

About the time Obama sanctioned the 1 percent/Occupy movement....

Offline Fantom

Trump thinks poor people (poorer than himself) are losers.

Really? Any evidence of that?

This Bricklayer is willing to give Trump a chance... certainly better than Hillary... and so far so good.

A Simple Bricklayer.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Silver Pines

@Wingnut

Neither do I.  The size of their bank accounts isn't relevant, IMO.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

What I have a problem with is him running against exactly this kind of governance only to turn around and do exactly what he accused all others of doing.

Wingnut

@Wingnut

Neither do I.  The size of their bank accounts isn't relevant, IMO.

:Cheers:

Offline bilo

I don't see any problem with having successful people in Cabinet positions. As far as I know they acquired their wealth honestly.

What is exciting is seeing so few career politicians, academics and lawyers in Cabinet positions. Only time will tell if Trump's approach will work, but trying something different is definitely something that should be applauded.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Right_in_Virginia

What I have a problem with is him running against exactly this kind of governance only to turn around and do exactly what he accused all others of doing.

You've misunderstood @Cripplecreek  Had you listened to Trump you would have heard him say two things over and over and over again:  He will be owned by no one when he enters the White House, and he will bring the best and the brightest into his administration to help implement his agenda. 

So far, so good.   ^-^

Offline LMAO

I suspect most people in this country do not care about the net worth of Trump's appointments. It's the left and the press that are making it a bigger issue than it is.

If there is one person who I hope has a major influence on the Trump administration is Mulvaney. More him and less Ivanka. Far, far less Ivanka. I compliment Trump on this pick. We wouldn't have gotten someone like him for Budget Director had Hillary won. The question is will Trump listen to him? I hope so.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cripplecreek

You think maybe he should have nominated homeless guys that dropped out of elementary schools,or fast food joint counter help instead?

Offline GrouchoTex

It's just the left being the left.
JFK had appointed some pretty wealthy people in his cabinet, and we never heard any nonsense about it.
I have no problem with Trump appointing wealthy people.
If they were good at what they were doing, why shouldn't they be paid well for it?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
It's just the left being the left.
JFK had appointed some pretty wealthy people in his cabinet, and we never heard any nonsense about it.
I have no problem with Trump appointing wealthy people.
If they were good at what they were doing, why shouldn't they be paid well for it?

I don't have a problem with him hiring wealthy people.

I have a problem with the way he lied and attacked everyone else before turning around and doubled down on exactly the things he ran against.

The moral cowardice is astounding.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What a childish dumbass thing to say.

GFY

@Cripplecreek

It was YOUR brain fart I was responding to,Bubba. Either defend it or admit your jerking knee posted it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't have a problem with him hiring wealthy people.

I have a problem with the way he lied and attacked everyone else before turning around and doubled down on exactly the things he ran against.

The moral cowardice is astounding.

@Cripplecreek

In other words you are having a hissy-fit because he won the nomination instead of JEB or some other piece of shit.