Author Topic: Keith Olbermann offers a surprisingly easy and constitutional way to fire Donald Trump  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Stick to sports, you flaming jackass.

The Week
November 28, 2016

Green Party nominee Jill Stein is trying to reverse the presidential election result through recounts in three Rust Belt states, and there's a push to have the Electoral College just pick Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump, despite Trump winning more electoral votes, but Keith Olbermann says there's an easier way to strip Trump of power: "The 25th Amendment, Section Four."
More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnnj_YjdJgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnnj_YjdJgs

Oceander

What a f@cking idiot.

Offline Talisker

Stick to sports, you flaming jackass.

The Week
November 28, 2016
More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnnj_YjdJgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnnj_YjdJgs

Olbermann is nothing but a CIA agitprop operator assigned to manipulate the lowest level of Democrats who are still able to handle silverware.
Those who command, must obey.

Wingnut

HonestJohn

Olbermann is nothing but a CIA agitprop operator assigned to manipulate the lowest level of Democrats who are still able to handle silverware.

Conspiracy much?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm sure if Hillary won, we would be taking the 25 clause seriously.

Offline r9etb

Just for reference:

Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

So... it's not "simple." 

HonestJohn

If Trump goes on the attack against the GOP in Congress...

...this could happen.

Offline Frank Cannon

Wow. Kieth is now relegated to some POS webcast for GQ to spread his special brand of stupidity.

Offline r9etb

If Trump goes on the attack against the GOP in Congress...

...this could happen.

No.  Congress has its own recourse, which is impeachment.

Section 4 of the 25th Amendment would cover situations such as when Woodrow Wilson had had his stroke, and couldn't fulfill the duties of the office.  A similar situation might occur if Trump does something like .... went actually nuts, or stopped showing up for work.

HonestJohn

No.  Congress has its own recourse, which is impeachment.

Section 4 of the 25th Amendment would cover situations such as when Woodrow Wilson had had his stroke, and couldn't fulfill the duties of the office.  A similar situation might occur if Trump does something like .... went actually nuts, or stopped showing up for work.

Or for any reason at all, really.  'Inability to work with Congress' or 'Inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy' both work.  Nothing in the section requires a physical or mental illness, just that a majority of head of the executive departments... or any other body determined by Congress, think he is incapable of performing his duties. 

I'd wager Congress has included itself as one of their 'other bodies'.

----

Text of the 25th Amendment, Section 4:

Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:40:50 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline GrouchoTex

If he keeps talking, and is serious, about running both the Executive Branch and the Trump Businesses, I could see this happening, from both parties.

Offline mountaineer

He knows very little about sports,  too. His ignorance isn't limited to politics and current events.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This is kind of worthless.

All Donald Trump has to do to thwart it is send a letter saying he's fit, at which point the criteria for removing him from office become even higher than they would be with a standard impeachment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline r9etb

Or for any reason at all, really.  'Inability to work with Congress' or 'Inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy' both work.  Nothing in the section requires a physical or mental illness, just that a majority of head of the executive departments... or any other body determined by Congress, think he is incapable of performing his duties. 

I'd wager Congress has included itself as one of their 'other bodies'.

No reason for that.  Congress already has a method -- impeachment -- which actually sets a slightly lower bar for removal from office.  I think the reasoning for the impeachment of Andrew Johnson would probably apply if a large rift forms between Trump and Congress.

Offline r9etb

... at which point the criteria for removing him from office become even higher than they would be with a standard impeachment.

Precisely. 

Offline Victoria33

If he keeps talking, and is serious, about running both the Executive Branch and the Trump Businesses, I could see this happening, from both parties.
@GrouchoTex

He never sleeps anywhere except in his bed at Trump Tower or one he owns in his hotels.  That is why he kept flying back to Trump Tower after he was in "x" state or states at the end of the day.  This is strange behavior, and he does not want to sleep at the White House, he wants to go back to his bed in Trump Tower.  I think he is afraid to sleep anywhere but in his own "beds".

I think he just wanted to win and then go home.  We will see if he sleeps in the White House.

Offline r9etb

Yes.  Conflicts of interest would be sure to arise, and something within the scope of "high crimes and misdemeanors" would be found to justify his removal from office.

If he's already burned his bridges with Congress, the necessary 2/3s of each House will be easy to obtain.

Wingnut

Don't be too hard on Keith.  He suffered severe brain damage years ago when he hit his head entering a NY subway car.  He hasn't been right since.

Offline Frank Cannon

Don't be too hard on Keith.  He suffered severe brain damage years ago when he hit his head entering a NY subway car.  He hasn't been right since.

That may explain this...

http://www.socialitelife.com/keith_olbermann_apparently_sucks_in_bed-10-2006

Offline skeeter

I'm sure if Hillary won, we would be taking the 25 clause seriously.

The only thing I'd be taking seriously if she had won would be legal action regarding her mishandling of confidential information or influence peddling via the Clinton foundation.

I would no sooner take Olbermann's idiocy seriously as I did those who claimed Obama's election could be invalidated because of a bogus birth certificate.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I don't think this goes anywhere, certainly not early on.  No one wants to set a precedent where the other side will always try to oust their guy.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Oceander

That wouldn't make him unfit for office in the sense of not being able to discharge his duties as president.