Author Topic: For some in middle class, Trump plan would mean tax increase  (Read 2493 times)

geronl

For some in middle class, Trump plan would mean tax increase
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:53:01 am »
WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump's proposals would modestly cut income taxes for most middle-class Americans. But for nearly 8 million families — including a majority of single-parent households — the opposite would occur: They'd pay more.

Most married couples with three or more children would also pay higher taxes, an analysis by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center found. And while middle-class families as a whole would receive tax cuts of about 2 percent, they'd be dwarfed by the windfalls averaging 13.5 percent for America's richest 1 percent.
Let's raise taxes on some in the middle class and make sure the Trumps never pay anything.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/middle-class-trump-plan-mean-tax-increase-153628510--finance.html

Online Hoodat

Re: For some in middle class, Trump plan would mean tax increase
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 04:47:24 am »
averaging 13.5 percent for America's richest 1 percent

Class envy BS.  There is no wealth tax.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:17:23 am »
Get rid of the AMT!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:09:37 pm »
Get rid of the AMT!

Stop tinkering around the edges and get rid of the Marxist income tax system entirely!

http://fairtax.org
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »
Has Trump outlined any spending reductions to accompany these massive tax cuts?  It's no wonder the Democrats think we have lost our minds.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 02:40:05 pm »
Has Trump outlined any spending reductions to accompany these massive tax cuts?  It's no wonder the Democrats think we have lost our minds.

Have you ever looked at the history of REAL tax cuts?   They have ALWAYS resulted in MORE revenue to the government not less!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 02:44:21 pm »
Have you ever looked at the history of REAL tax cuts?   They have ALWAYS resulted in MORE revenue to the government not less!

and always on the back of the middle class :shrug:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 02:47:53 pm »
and always on the back of the middle class :shrug:

That's where the real money is and yet another reason we need to throw the Marxist income tax onto the ash heap of history and be done with it once and for all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Leto

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 03:07:50 pm »
People get confused with cutting taxes as opposed to reducing marginal rates.

When Reagan reduced marginal rates he didn't cut taxes revenue more than doubled after the 'cut' taxes.

The trickle down effect is real.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 03:14:24 pm »
People get confused with cutting taxes as opposed to reducing marginal rates.

When Reagan reduced marginal rates he didn't cut taxes revenue more than doubled after the 'cut' taxes.

The trickle down effect is real.

I suspect there are very few, even here, who know who the last president was who actually cut the size and scope of government.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 03:57:25 pm »
Stop tinkering around the edges and get rid of the Marxist income tax system entirely!

http://fairtax.org
That proposal requires a basic income guarantee (they call it a "prebate") to work. It's not viable.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 06:59:56 pm »
That proposal requires a basic income guarantee (they call it a "prebate") to work. It's not viable.

Baloney!  Tell me why you think it's not viable!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 07:01:25 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 09:43:33 pm »

It depends on your position on the laffer curve at the time of the cuts.  Trump's marginal rate cuts are tremendous, and he wants to go on a spending spree as well.  It doesn't add up.  No doubt a massive deficit would boost the GDP, but the debt load is already becoming dangerous.  Trump thinks he can just default on the debt and move on to the next batch of suckers, like he did in his bankruptcies.  The liberals were right about this guy ... for the wrong reasons.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 10:36:30 pm »
That's because in Government math, if you announce something is going to be increased by 10% and you only increase it 5%, that is a 50% cut.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 11:28:51 pm »
That's because in Government math, if you announce something is going to be increased by 10% and you only increase it 5%, that is a 50% cut.

Yep!  And they wonder why we are pissed off at 'them!   :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:30:01 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 11:52:43 pm »

Class envy BS.  There is no wealth tax.

That's because people with the highest incomes pay the highest taxes.  I get so tired of hearing about middle class tax relief but the rich should pay "their fair share"  What that really means is more tax credits and reductions for those who pay almost no tax while my rates go up.  My marginal income tax rate is approximately 50%, and I get almost no deductions.  While that causes me a lot of indigestion, it hurts those who make less than me more than it hurts me.  I can still pay my mortgage and provide a living for my family, but the dollars I send to the feds could allow me to hire someone to clean my house, do yard work, etc.  Those people are out a job because I can't pay them and uncle sam at the same time.  I would really like to see some tax relief for those paying the bulk of the taxes.  And I would like to know exactly what my fair share is?  I pay 6 figures a year in income tax.  While I am blessed I definitely don't make as much as one would think. And I work 12-14 hour days, weekends, holidays, kids birthdays, and all the other days no one wants to work.  Oh well, I'll quit whining.  I'm just on my 3rd working day of the 4 day holiday weekend with 5 hours of sleep last night because I got home at 2:30 AM from work only to hear liberals tell me I'm not paying my fair share

/rant off
God is still in control

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 12:00:06 am »
That's because people with the highest incomes pay the highest taxes.  I get so tired of hearing about middle class tax relief but the rich should pay "their fair share"  What that really means is more tax credits and reductions for those who pay almost no tax while my rates go up.  My marginal income tax rate is approximately 50%, and I get almost no deductions.  While that causes me a lot of indigestion, it hurts those who make less than me more than it hurts me.  I can still pay my mortgage and provide a living for my family, but the dollars I send to the feds could allow me to hire someone to clean my house, do yard work, etc.  Those people are out a job because I can't pay them and uncle sam at the same time.  I would really like to see some tax relief for those paying the bulk of the taxes.  And I would like to know exactly what my fair share is?  I pay 6 figures a year in income tax.  While I am blessed I definitely don't make as much as one would think. And I work 12-14 hour days, weekends, holidays, kids birthdays, and all the other days no one wants to work.  Oh well, I'll quit whining.  I'm just on my 3rd working day of the 4 day holiday weekend with 5 hours of sleep last night because I got home at 2:30 AM from work only to hear liberals tell me I'm not paying my fair share

/rant off

I'm also in that boat, and then add property taxes, state income taxes, sales taxes etc...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 12:01:10 am »

/rant off
Same here, when we were drilling away. Six figures in taxes, no holidays or weekends, usually away from home, 12-14 hour days, although there were many which went to 20-36 hours straight.

Not paying my fair share? I want my money back.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 01:53:37 am »

/rant off

Yet one more among the multitude of reasons to throw the Marxist income tax system onto the ash heap of history and return to the system our founders universally endorsed. Excise taxes on articles of consumption only.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 02:27:08 am »
May I also ask one other thing?

Why is it that when tax reforms always get implemented, it's always single people that get hurt the most? This is one of the things I talk about when I say that single people get the shaft.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DB

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 02:44:38 am »

Why is it that when tax reforms always get implemented, it's always single people that get hurt the most? This is one of the things I talk about when I say that single people get the shaft.

Bureaucrats love to social engineer, picking winners and losers. There should be no income tax. It is none of governments business if you are single, married, have children or if you got paid to mow the neighbors lawn. If there's going to be a tax, it should be on consumption - period. It should also be on everything so it isn't corrupted. Everyone should have skin in the game and should see what it costs first hand. And if you live off government welfare, you should have no vote until you get off of it. You should not be able to demand from others what you yourself are not willing to put in.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 02:44:41 am »

Social engineering plain  and simple.  Not possible with a point of retail sale only sales tax.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 04:32:08 am »
Bureaucrats love to social engineer, picking winners and losers. There should be no income tax. It is none of governments business if you are single, married, have children or if you got paid to mow the neighbors lawn. If there's going to be a tax, it should be on consumption - period. It should also be on everything so it isn't corrupted. Everyone should have skin in the game and should see what it costs first hand. And if you live off government welfare, you should have no vote until you get off of it. You should not be able to demand from others what you yourself are not willing to put in.

:amen:  :amen: and   :amen:

F R E E D O M ! ! !

- J. R. R. Tolkien