Author Topic: Convention of States; Trench Warfare is Coming  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Convention of States; Trench Warfare is Coming
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2016, 05:02:11 pm »
Now, see, that's the kind of answer that I'm talking about in: "do something vague and nebulous that involves speaking out and educating people".

@Cripplecreek @Bigun, you each have exactly one vote. I'm assuming that you already vote for those whom you consider honest and take responsibility for doing so.  Ok.....now what?

Voting is the last act of the play.  I spend a lot of my time - the bulk of it in fact -  attempting to educate others as to what is happening to them in the hope that they will help me restore this once great nation.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:38:22 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2016, 05:02:43 pm »
What?  Not for passing a single amendment?  Since when?

Sorry, but what do you mean by this? @Sanguine

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:03:14 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2016, 05:04:36 pm »
Sorry, but what do you mean by this? @Sanguine

I was quoting you, @Right_in_Virginia:  "Passing a single amendment is not a Convention of States." 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2016, 05:23:20 pm »
I was quoting you, @Right_in_Virginia:  "Passing a single amendment is not a Convention of States."

Well, in my limited understanding, a Convention of States is a meeting to renegotiate any and all parts of the Constitution. 

Passing a Constitutional amendment addresses a single issue and follows existing Constitutional rules ... leaving the rest of the Constitution unchanged.

Do I have this wrong? @Sanguine

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2016, 05:26:06 pm »
Voting is the last act of the play.  I spend a lot of my time - the bulk of it in fact -  attempting to educate others as to what is happening to them in the ho0e that they will help me restore this once great nation.

That's a hell of a hill to climb.

Over a year ago a Trump supporter at TOS told me that the constitution was a waste of time and its time to install Trump as dictator to "do what needs to be done" whether anyone likes it or not.

Just the other day a Trump supporter here at TBR tried to convince me that Calvin Coolidge was a klansman as a means of supporting the alt right. Just yesterday another informed me the Edmund Burke was an idiot.

I'll continue to help you trying to educate the masses but I fear we may be too late to overcome the depths of crushing stupidity we're in now. At least 60% of the whole population of America has been sold on both the left and "right progressivism of Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt. Both WW and TR were big fans of amendments and some of TR's favorites were social security, universal health insurance, direct election of senators, and direct election of presidents.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2016, 05:27:49 pm »
Well, in my limited understanding, a Convention of States is a meeting to renegotiate any and all parts of the Constitution. 

Passing a Constitutional amendment addresses a single issue and follows existing Constitutional rules ... leaving the rest of the Constitution unchanged.

@Right_in_Virginia, back a little ways on this thread is a link to the COS site that has all the facts.  It's a good thing to be well versed in right now.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2016, 05:30:12 pm »
You labor under a common misapprehension.  What's being called for isn't a "Constitutional Convention," to rewrite the entire Constitution, but a convention of states to propose amendments to the current Constitution, which would then have to be ratified by 38 states just like any other proposed amendments.  At the moment, only Congress has ever proposed amendments; this is the alternative method provided for doing so by the Constitution.  Of course Congress will never propose any limitations on the federal government's authority and overreach.  This is the only possible way to force the government back into its constitutional limitations.  Might it not work?  Of course it might not--nothing is ever absolutely guaranteed.  Is it our only chance?  That's pretty much definite.

@Right_in_Virginia, here is one response a couple of pages back.

Oceander

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2016, 05:32:45 pm »
Nice to see the stupid is still strong on this topic.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2016, 07:44:15 pm »
That's a hell of a hill to climb.

Over a year ago a Trump supporter at TOS told me that the constitution was a waste of time and its time to install Trump as dictator to "do what needs to be done" whether anyone likes it or not.

Just the other day a Trump supporter here at TBR tried to convince me that Calvin Coolidge was a klansman as a means of supporting the alt right. Just yesterday another informed me the Edmund Burke was an idiot.

I'll continue to help you trying to educate the masses but I fear we may be too late to overcome the depths of crushing stupidity we're in now. At least 60% of the whole population of America has been sold on both the left and "right progressivism of Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt. Both WW and TR were big fans of amendments and some of TR's favorites were social security, universal health insurance, direct election of senators, and direct election of presidents.

@Cripplecreek

Yes it is and thank you for the assistance!  As you suggest, we may well be too late but we have to try.

“No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders. “

Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, November 4, 1775

“Nothing is more certain than that a general profligacy and corruption of manners make a people ripe for destruction. A good form of government may hold the rotten materials together for some time, but beyond a certain pitch, even the best constitution will be ineffectual, and slavery must ensue.”

John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men, 1776
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:45:37 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2016, 08:22:22 pm »

You're wrong I believe. The cos is to pass an amendment to the constitution. It may address a single issue or may be all-encompassing.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2016, 09:48:36 pm »
So why would a federal government that ignores the constraints placed on it by the current Constitution suddenly abide by a newly amended Constitution?

Again, the Convention of States website addresses this common complaint directly.  Please go there to see the response.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2016, 09:51:06 pm »
Opening the Constitution for additions and deletions is not the way to rein in the federal government.  An educated public exercising its right to vote is the way to control government, local and federal.

How well has that been working for you?  The convention of states was intended for exactly this situation, when nothing else is working.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2016, 09:58:57 pm »

You're wrong I believe. The cos is to pass an amendment to the constitution. It may address a single issue or may be all-encompassing.

That's pretty much right.  The feds have refused to call such a convention in the past when the various state resolutions list different reasons for calling for the convention.  According to the feds, for the resolutions to force them to call a convention they must all have the same reason for calling for such a convention or they can't be considered together.  For that reason, such a convention would be limited to addressing the specific issue or issues of the calling resolutions.  That's also why the Convention of States is working to get specific, nearly identical wording in each of the calling resolutions, so the feds can't deny the convention on the grounds that the resolutions don't match.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!