Author Topic: Soft Drinks No. 1 Purchase by Food Stamp Recipients; $357,000,000 From 1 Grocery Chain  (Read 5052 times)

rangerrebew

Soft Drinks No. 1 Purchase by Food Stamp Recipients; $357,000,000 From 1 Grocery Chain

(CNSNews.com) - Soft drinks were the top commodity bought by food stamp recipients shopping at outlets run by a single U.S. grocery retailer.

That is according to a new study released by the Food and Nutrition Service [1], the federal agency responsible for running the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as the food stamp program.

By contrast, milk was the top commodity bought from the same retailer by customers not on food stamps.

In calendar year 2011, according to the study, food stamp recipients spent approximately $357,700,000 buying soft drinks from an enterprise the study reveals only as “a leading U.S. grocery retailer.”

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/357700000-1-grocery-chain-soft-drinks-no-1-purchase-food-stamp

rangerrebew

Moochelle had better stop this travesty before her hubby leaves office and she can't save Americans from their bad diets. :silly:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I have never had a liberal satisfactorily tell me why a nation with an obesity problem needs food stamps. Healthy food is cheaper than junk food if you know what to buy and how to shop.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
I have never had a liberal satisfactorily tell me why a nation with an obesity problem needs food stamps. Healthy food is cheaper than junk food if you know what to buy and how to shop.
I see nothing wrong with them buying soft drinks in fact were it me I would take all means tested benefit programs and roll them in cash.  You come an apply, state your profile and you get a cash check every 2 weeks.

Single mother, 3 children under the age of 18, supports mother who is ill with diabetes:  Cha Ching, Cha Ching, Cha Ching.  Ms. you bi weekly check will be $2150 tax free, enjoy and remember to not spend it all in one place as this covers 100% of all your living expenses.  Ohh and EZ Groceries is having a 2 for 1 sale on Soft drinks and candy, here is your coupon.

This will solve our poverty problem in the US...
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline chae

Some people are just plain stupid when it comes to food.  Our local food pantry got a request for help, it was a family of 6 or so.  They weren't on food stamps, they were hard working people who had a run of exceptionally bad luck recently.  They had requested basic staples, things that you could use to make stew and things that would feed 6 people.  So a local minister's wife, who volunteered at the pantry, went to the store and bought 12 Stauffers Pot Pies, because that would be enough for 3 meals for the family.  She figured that the parents could eat one a piece and that the kids could share, because one pot pie was more than enough for her. 

Offline rodamala

I once saw a woman at a convenience store buy 8 submarine sandwiches from the convenience store deli and pay for it with a SNAP card.

No.  Go to the F***ING grocery store, and do what I (have to) do and buy chicken roll or bologna on sale, cheese ends, and a loaf of day-old bread off the discount rack to feed your spawn you F****ING breeder sow.

I really have had it...  3 times out of every 5 trips to Wal*Mart the person in front of me is using some sort of entitlement card.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Somebody better explain it to me. I'm tired of hearing advertisements about how some ungodly number (they claim upwards of 20% if I remember right) of kids in America go to bed hungry, followed by news reports about the obesity epidemic. I need a neck brace just to watch TV to protect me from the whiplash.

We never needed food stamps when I was a kid and I had my fair share of Soda, but I also had a bicycle so I stayed in pretty good shape. Now that I'm older, a soda is a splurge and due to the sugar content unless it serves as a meal (usually with a candy bar) it counts as the cheat day for my diet.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

I once saw a woman at a convenience store buy 8 submarine sandwiches from the convenience store deli and pay for it with a SNAP card.

No.  Go to the F***ING grocery store, and do what I (have to) do and buy chicken roll or bologna on sale, cheese ends, and a loaf of day-old bread off the discount rack to feed your spawn you F****ING breeder sow.

I really have had it...  3 times out of every 5 trips to Wal*Mart the person in front of me is using some sort of entitlement card.
I know the WIC check method can be a snafu, but if you talk to any one who has worked to a cashier at Walmart it is ridiculous what they spend their money on with their EBT card. I've heard stores of folks buying Lobster and prime rib on their EBT card and then use cash to buy a pack of cigarettes. Cart loads of soda and snack foods are common. Rice, beans, and potatoes are all cheap and help your money go a long way in feeding a family.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:25:12 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

a head of iceberg lettuce was 97 cents... for salad.... all filler, no nutritional value but it goes right through you. If you feed a mass of it to a turtle, it will starve to death

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
a head of iceberg lettuce was 97 cents... for salad.... all filler, no nutritional value but it goes right through you. If you feed a mass of it to a turtle, it will starve to death

Plenty of cheap produce out there that is nutritious.

geronl

Plenty of cheap produce out there that is nutritious.

add them to the salad

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

add them to the salad
Gardening is a great option as well in the summer. I haven't met a gardener yet who could figure out how to kill Zucchini plants unless they were trying.

rangerrebew

At one time Detwah was the highest consumer of Chivas in the country which is amazing for a city where probably more than half are on welfare.  I talked to a check out clerk one time who told me the welfare crowd buy scads of stuff they can sell on the street and then use the cash for their dope or booze.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
At one time Detwah was the highest consumer of Chivas in the country which is amazing for a city where probably more than half are on welfare.  I talked to a check out clerk one time who told me the welfare crowd buy scads of stuff they can sell on the street and then use the cash for their dope or booze.

And that is zactly the reason why we need to convert all their freebies into cash and pay them every 2 weeks until they check out of the net...which won't take long.
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I saw a woman at the Stop and Shop using a Snap card and she had a real Louis Vuitton handbag.

What the hell? It wasn't a fake. I may be blonde but I know the difference between a real Louis and a fake Louis.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

One morning a few years ago, I stopped at 7-Eleven for a cup of coffee. The young man ahead of me in line (early 20s) purchased nothing but a big pile of candy with his SNAP/food stamps, rendering me speechless. Many years earlier, I was at a grocery store where a man in his 50s or so used food stamps for a few bags of potato chips and a jar of pimentos.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I have personally witnessed this happening!  I watched a person pay for two shopping cart loads of things like shrimp, steak, and lobster with a Lone Star card (Texas EBT Card).  When he was checked out he proceeded out to the parking lot where the Chinese fellow who owns a restaurant down the street was waiting for him.  When the groceries were unloaded into the car the Chinese fellow hands the shopper two crisp $100 bills and takes off.  The shopper walks into the liquor store conveniently located right next to the big chain grocery store he had just left.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 02:58:02 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

I can't remember the last time I had a soda... Maybe a root beer at 4th of July...
Never have understood the national addiction to soft drinks. Almost all of them, less root beer and creme soda, are awful - Ok, I'll give you ginger ale, 7-up, Sprite, in there too - only because you can add fruit juices to them and water them down to shy of 'sparkling'... But most of it sucks.

Give me sweet tea and lemonade all day long over that stuff...

Offline roamer_1

Just made a new jug of sweet tea last night btw... a gallon cost me pennies... literally... maybe a nickel.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
I can't remember the last time I had a soda... Maybe a root beer at 4th of July...
Never have understood the national addiction to soft drinks. Almost all of them, less root beer and creme soda, are awful - Ok, I'll give you ginger ale, 7-up, Sprite, in there too - only because you can add fruit juices to them and water them down to shy of 'sparkling'... But most of it sucks.

Give me sweet tea and lemonade all day long over that stuff...
My grandmother drank a Dr Pepper every day, REAL Ginger Ale is good and I still like a REAL Coke from time but ONLY if its from Mexico or the Netherlands which have coke as close to the old recipe as you can find.

Want to GAG, try a Mountain Dew, not sure what its supposed to taste like as its so sweet that you will go into diabetic shock or coma before you finish.

In my dad most drinks were 8 oz.  Coke and Ginger ale actually brought something to the table besides sweet would settle you stomach, Dr Pepper was good HOT on a cold day.  Root Beer when made with natural rather than artificial junk is very tasty and tastes best when on draft.  Outside of that its just sugar, water and artificial flavors, not worth you time.

I rarely drink any as getting the orginial stuff is not easy, most of it is found outside the US, but you can get real Ginger Ale at some speciality stores.

Offline Bunny Watson

Gardening is a great option as well in the summer. I haven't met a gardener yet who could figure out how to kill Zucchini plants unless they were trying.

You must not have squash vine borers where you live. Those bastards get my zucchini every year, no matter how hard I try to keep therm away. I get three or four great zucchini, then the plant just rots away.

I take your point, however. Growing and preserving food is a great way to supplement your food stores. A bit harder to do in the big city, but not insurmountable.

Offline roamer_1

My grandmother drank a Dr Pepper every day, REAL Ginger Ale is good and I still like a REAL Coke from time but ONLY if its from Mexico or the Netherlands which have coke as close to the old recipe as you can find.

Hollander (I am)?

I used to drink a lot of Pepsi, and tons of Mountain Dew - But I just hit the gak-line sometime back in my early 30's, wondering why the hell I was chugging these things that taste so dang bad. It was the road... When I was home, or at my kin (any of them), there was always sweet-tea to be found, which was always my preference (from a Mason jar, mind you). I just walked off of it, and never went back.

Now, all the waitresses at the diners I frequent know me.... And they come on by with a steel milkshake jug, a pitcher of tea, and a table-jar of sugar (saves them money and me time, if I ain't gotta rip into all those silly little packets)... And most anywhere I might go, diners are happy to fill that Mason jar for me if I am on the run.

Want to GAG, try a Mountain Dew, not sure what its supposed to taste like as its so sweet that you will go into diabetic shock or coma before you finish.

I dunno if they changed it or what... I had one a long while back, and it tasted nothing like what I remembered.

In my dad most drinks were 8 oz.  Coke and Ginger ale actually brought something to the table besides sweet would settle you stomach, Dr Pepper was good HOT on a cold day.  Root Beer when made with natural rather than artificial junk is very tasty and tastes best when on draft.  Outside of that its just sugar, water and artificial flavors, not worth you time.

I rarely drink any as getting the orginial stuff is not easy, most of it is found outside the US, but you can get real Ginger Ale at some speciality stores.

I ain't had REAL ginger ale in a coon's age - Last was down with my kin down in Wamego, KS.
But I DO know a hillbilly family up here that make their own root beer - A good reason to wander on in if I am up that way...and you can still get genuine creme soda at Norm's, a real soda fountain up on main street here in town.

But for the most part I am a simple man. Sweet tea, coffee, lemonade, or just plain water suffices. any of the other is rare enough to be a real treat.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:42:32 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
IIRC the coke in Holland is the original recipe  when coke made it into a soft drink, so it does not have the cocaine in it, but it what I drank as a kid and Mexican coke is about as close as we can get to the old taste.  I was paying about $40 per case for the stuff out of Holland, I only drank about a case a year, most of that after a hard hot summer day with a chainsaw in my hand and that real Coke, so cold that when you pop the cap it turns to slush really felt good....

Coffee it's not just for breakfast anymore.
I have drank coffee since I was about 12. I drink it black and I like it robust (flavorful).

Over the years I have drank it for a lot of reasons. In my Army Infantry days I often drank it in the US, Europe and Korea to warm an ole soldiers frozen hands and body as I stood in knee deep snow in Germany or in the bitter howling wind and rain on the DMZ of Korea in January. Or the hard dry cold on the mesas of Ft Hood, Tex. In those times a Mess Sgt would take several lbs of coffee, dump it in a (hopefully) well cleaned garbage can add water, some salt and egg shells, bring to a boil and yell coffee is ready. We would dip our canteen cups into the boiling cauldron and the first cup would be used to clean and kill whatever lives in that canteen cup we wore on our hips. The coffee was bitter, acid, thick and most of all hot and that was good.

Its been a long road since then and today I have developed a more refined taste and approach. To that end here is how I make my 'cup o' joe' and many thanks to those days when it was anti freeze for an ole soldier...

Good coffee is a result and the steps along the way are each important to arrive...the means justify the end.

Beans: I experiment with a lot of beans, but I keep coming back to Starbucks beans. They are of excellent quality and remain the same over time.

The Roast: The darker (longer) the roast the more flavor you extract from the bean, the lighter the roast the more the flavors or the beans orgin (country, area, soil etc) arrives at your taste buds. I go for the darkest of all roasts, Italian, the next darkest if French, trust me there is a taste difference. NOTE: Darker and longer roast = LESS caffeine, which is why I can drink 2x 18 oz cups each morn and not get the shakes or ringing in my ears...

The Grind: If you want more flavor then the grind comes into play and for that the finest (granularity) is Turkish grind, almost like dust.

The Steep: I steep about 10 min, steep to long and it will get oily, to short and it lacks flavor and becomes almost dry and tasteless .

The Water: Pure, flavorLESS, if you are getting it from you kitchen faucet then you are making anti freeze to warm you on a cold morning, nothing else.

The Mechanics: To bring out the high notes flavors then it is a French Press, nothing else will deliver like it does. But they are not all good, many if not most allow far to much of the grind to pass thru its filter system into the coffee...you want to drink it, not chew it. When it comes to the French Press a start up company has perfected it. Its stainless steel, vacuum insulated and has a patented double filter and that is the secret: http://espro.ca/espro-press

The Cup: Ceramic or stainless steel, period!

TIPs: Wash your stainless steel/ceramics in bleach-soap in order to insure you remove the residual coffee oils.

Experiment with steeping time to arrive at YOUR perfect cup.

Preparation Espro French Press: I have a 18 oz press and I use 2x level coffee spoons. I place it inside and tap the press on the side near the bottom to stack the coffee on one side. Then pour boiling water into the stack using a fast hard pour to mix the coffee into the water, slow as the rises and halt just below the fill line, then slowly bring it to the fill line, try not to go over. Let steep, the push down slowly on the press, I let it settle for about a min or so then pour into your cup of choice.

The Results: MY coffee notes. Rich: Notes of chocolate and molasses. Earthy: Caramel, toffee and tobacco. Fruity: Fig and Cola.

ENJOY!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:15:28 pm by 17 Oaks »

Offline roamer_1

The Cup: Ceramic or stainless steel, period!

Thanks for all that... Like I said, simple man. Any coffee will do, so long as it's strong  - tho I am partial to French Roast, and carry Folgers here for the drip machine.... But I will agree with the cup! Either my stainless travel mug, or most often, the same ol tin (ceramic coated) camp cup I have had in my hand since I was a pup.

Nevermind that I ain't so particular... I was weaned on cowboy coffee, and am used to straining the grounds with my teeth... so about anything is as good as that.

888high58888
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:31:29 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline goodwithagun

We gave up soda years ago, and it was a great financial and health decision. That it is the top foodstamp purchase doesn't surprise me. Every now and then I randomly end up at the grocery store on the first of the month. The chip, snack, soda, frozen food aisles are picked clean. The fresh produce and cleaning product sections are untouched. The baby food, formula, and diapers section always looks like a cloud of locusts has descended upon it. We're finally out of diapers, but it was quite frustrating to purchase generic dipes while welfare folks were buying name brand. Don't get me wrong, the generic works just as well as the name brand, it just always rubbed me the wrong way. We could afford name brand but chose not to, they can't even afford generic but use our money for name brand.
I stand with Roosgirl.