Author Topic: Lindsey Graham warns Donald Trump not to mess with Obama’s executive order or he’ll stand in the way  (Read 5825 times)

HonestJohn

As long as their "dream" doesn't include chain migration, public assistance and demands that I subordinate my culture to their's I'm fine with it.

The whole point about the DREAMers was that, since they were raised in America from a very early age, they had no other culture but that of America.

HonestJohn

Because it rewards people who break the law. Follow our laws, or go home.

By that logic, everyone should be in prison.

After all, is there anyone that has not sped while driving?

That breaks the law.  And the logic displayed warrants *NO* grace or wiggle-room for breaking *ANY* law.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

That breaks the law.  And the logic displayed warrants *NO* grace or wiggle-room for breaking *ANY* law.

The punishment should fit the crime, but allowing lawbreaking in mass just encourages more people to break the law. Change the laws if you don't like them, but we should enforce this law.

Offline skeeter

The whole point about the DREAMers was that, since they were raised in America from a very early age, they had no other culture but that of America.

The ones I see every night on TV don't seem to have gotten that message.

Offline skeeter

@HonestJohn

By that logic, if one is caught speeding then they should be allowed to continue speeding while everyone else is compelled to follow speed limits.

That thinking is far less rational than the logic of punishing illegals by sending them home.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:35:03 pm by skeeter »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Is a kid who came here as a toddler with a parent a bad apple?   Should he/she be punished for the sins of the parent?   

Like it or not,  if we're serious about fixing immigration we need to address those already here.   I have no stomach for a "deportation force" to find and remove all 12 million who merely crossed the border illegally.  That's a COLOSSAL waste of resources and tax dollars.  Those who should be deported are those who committed real crimes - felonies, drug dealing,  etc.   And those who are here because their parents brought them here?   Why not cut them a break if they've kept their noses clean?   

Great post sir.

Offline Fantom

Lord forgive me, I hate this man.

You're forgiven...now go forth and hate some more..... My bad, I thought you said Lloyd forgive me.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

The ones I see every night on TV don't seem to have gotten that message.

Right, they are NOT Americans. Send them home..their country needs them.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I cannot comprehend why S Carolinians have not given limp-wristed Lindsey the boot.
Nor do I... and I still remember '14: they could have picked literally any of the seven contenders OTHER than Lindsey Graham and it would have forced a runoff if they all added up to more than 50%. Yet they still went for Graham hook, line and sinker.

That state should have known better.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
As long as their "dream" doesn't include chain migration, public assistance and demands that I subordinate my culture to their's I'm fine with it.

Agreed... if we give legal status to people who were brought here as children and didn't have a say in the matter, they should be forever barred from sponsoring anybody else.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Is a kid who came here as a toddler with a parent a bad apple?   Should he/she be punished for the sins of the parent?   

Like it or not,  if we're serious about fixing immigration we need to address those already here.   I have no stomach for a "deportation force" to find and remove all 12 million who merely crossed the border illegally.  That's a COLOSSAL waste of resources and tax dollars.  Those who should be deported are those who committed real crimes - felonies, drug dealing,  etc.   And those who are here because their parents brought them here?   Why not cut them a break if they've kept their noses clean?   

Here's your previous communication:
I agree that illegal immigrants that have committed crimes must be deported.   But what's the objection - especially in the context of a larger bargain that clears the way for bad apples to be deported - to normalizing the status of folks who came here as small children, and who've kept their noses clean?   

I have no issue with being tough on illegal immigration.  But I've never quite understood the conservative objection to relief for the "dreamer" kids who never so much as crossed a border illegally. 

A bad apple is one who breaks laws, whether it is by you or your parent dragging you across.  No one not permitted to be here should be here, period. 

As an example, does someone who breaks into your house, bringing their child with them, deserve to have their child remain in your house?  If you said 'Yes', then you are not really serious.

The punishment of the parent is of course different than some child.  A parent could be incarcerated or sent back.  A child, being sent back.

Going back to my example:  The guy who breaks into your house will likely go to jail as punishment.  The child will not go to jail, but certainly would not remain in your house to live.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Stupid analogy.  We are talking about breaking our immigration laws, not about driving.

His point was you better be Mr. Clean clean if you wish to be considered to remain in this country, as you are already engaged in criminal behavior even if your parents forced it upon you.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

I'll tell you why.

I'm not saying punish them. What I want is not a dime of public money spent on them—which most directly means public schools shouldn't be forced to accept them, and they most certainly should not be allowed to take honors and positions ahead of American citizens. The idea that an illegal alien can be a valedictorian of his/her high school class, all effectively stolen from his/her lawfully resident classmates, is an outrage.

If there is no honor and no benefit in crossing the border, there will be no incentive for others to do it, and even if they do, there will be as little harm to those already here as possible.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DB

First, life isn't fair. Second, it is like paying a ransom. Paying the ransom is an attempt to get a good outcome from a bad situation but the final result is an incentive for more of it. If you are serious about bring it to an end, you cannot reward it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Fair enough. Then do it LEGALLY by virtue of a law passed by both chambers of Congress, rather than accepting the illegal and unconstitutional act of a disgrace of a president as fact.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

HonestJohn

Stupid analogy.  We are talking about breaking our immigration laws, not about driving.

His point was you better be Mr. Clean clean if you wish to be considered to remain in this country, as you are already engaged in criminal behavior even if your parents forced it upon you.

The point was that the concept of "a law's a law and we shouldn't use our judgement on the level of punishment for breaking it" is stupid.

We do find that those who have committed crimes against their will or for survival... to be either not punished for it or to be punished far less severely than in other circumstances.

Someone who stole a loaf of bread to feed his family will not get the maximum sentence.  Someone kidnapped and brought into a restricted area is not punished for being there.

Yet both "broke the law".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:06:04 am by HonestJohn »

The point was that the concept of "a law's a law and we shouldn't use our judgement on the level of punishment for breaking it" is stupid.

We do find that those who have committed crimes against their will or for survival... to be either not punished for it or to be punished far less severely than in other circumstances.

Someone who stole a loaf of bread to feed his family will not get the maximum sentence.  Someone kidnapped and brought into a restricted area is not punished for being there.

Yet the only 'punishment' for the kid is to be sent home.

Does not seem like punishment.

Is it 'punishment' to a kid to remove him from your house if a guy breaks into your house and leaves the kid there?

Your twisted reasoning seems to allow the kid to live with you permanently?  I think not.  He is sent away.  That is not unfair, as he should not have been in your house at all.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The video/pics of Lindsey with Harry Reid's goat must be embarrassing.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

So then why even have immigration laws?

Or speed limits for that matter?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

HonestJohn

So then why even have immigration laws?

Or speed limits for that matter?

We didn't used to have either.

It really was until the late 1800s that the first immigration laws came into being designed to restrict Asian and eastern European immigration.

And it wasn't until Nixon that we had a national speed limit.

I say that any child that only knows of life in America should stay.  And their parents can stay until the children reach legal age.  After that, they go back.  The now adult child will have the same opportunity to bring them in like any American can with close family members who are foreigners.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

We didn't used to have either.

It really was until the late 1800s that the first immigration laws came into being designed to restrict Asian and eastern European immigration.

And it wasn't until Nixon that we had a national speed limit.

I say that any child that only knows of life in America should stay.  And their parents can stay until the children reach legal age.  After that, they go back.  The now adult child will have the same opportunity to bring them in like any American can with close family members who are foreigners.

Great post and I completely agree.  The great news is Trump ran and won on 3 issue.
"The Wall"
"Put Crooked Hillary in Prison"
"F*ck the Establishment"

Finally Trump is going to fix our broke borders and hunt down and evict the Visa scofflaws...and illegl immigration can no longer be used as a wedge issue against the GOP.  Happy days  :broc: Hopefully Trump can negotiate from his position of power as President, after the most divisive campaign in my lifetime, and get something nearly as good as the Gang of 8 bill...but I am doubtful.

Wingnut

The video/pics of Lindsey with Harry Reid's goat must be embarrassing.

The goat committed suicide.   PETA is pissed! SInce the victim has passed there will be no prosecution. Blackmail howevre, is still on the table.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@Jazzhead

I have no stomach for a "deportation force" to find and remove all 12 million who merely crossed the border illegally

Those who should be deported are those who committed real crimes...

Listen to yourself. That is 12 million criminals. The actual number is probably much higher. I am in favor of complete ruthlessness in this matter.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline MajorClay

I say that any child that only knows of life in America should stay.  And their parents can stay until the children reach legal age.  After that, they go back. 

Why don't you apply that logic to your own house and let the invaders stay with you?

No you won't, for the same reason I choose for them not to stay here.

The USA is my house, none of them were invited and cannot stay.