Author Topic: First big Trump-era question: Who’s up for the open SCOTUS seat? Is Ted Cruz Being Considered?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: http://hotair.com/archives/2016/11/09/first-big-trump-era-question-whos-up-for-the-open-scotus-seat/

by Ed Morrissey

Needless to say, the plans to push Barack Obama’s nominee, Merrick Garland, for the Supreme Court seat left vacant by Antonin Scalia’s passing have evaporated. Republicans who demanded a halt to his confirmation process have been vindicated by the resounding Electoral College victory of Donald Trump, who now controls the nomination process. Thanks to a big win yesterday, Senate Republicans will control the confirmation process too, albeit with a too-narrow majority to stop a filibuster (more on that in a moment).

This literally might be the first decision Trump has to make on January 20th, 2017 — who will he pick instead of Garland? CNN reminds us of the list of potential nominees that the Trump campaign released six months ago, in large part to woo movement conservatives into the fold after clinching the nomination:

It was in May that Trump unexpectedly released a list of 11 judges.

The list included: Steven Colloton of Iowa, Allison Eid of Colorado, Raymond Gruender of Missouri, Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, Joan Larsen of Michigan, Thomas Lee of Utah, William Pryor of Alabama, David Stras of Minnesota, Diane Sykes of Wisconsin and Don Willett of Texas.

Trump later hedged on the list just a little, saying that the names represented the kind of jurist he would seek for the position. In September he added more names to the list, including Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT), a Trump critic who promptly announced that he wasn’t interested in the job. Largely, though, the lists achieved their short-term goal; it focused conservatives on the danger of having Hillary Clinton name the next two or three Supreme Court nominees, and especially the choice to replace a stalwart conservative whose passing threatened to tip the balance of the court to the Left.

Now, however, Trump has to actually make a choice. The stakes are high, politically as well as judicially. A misstep here could lose Trump any goodwill he has been able to build with movement conservatives. However, I suspect that Trump’s inclined to give conservatives whatever they want on this choice. He’s not driven by ideology but he understands how deals get made — and Trump at least knows that this will be a big chit to call in when he wants to start talking about infrastructure spending and trade.

So who gets the call? William Pryor would give pro-lifers a reason to cheer; Pryor had to defend his statement in a 2003 Senate confirmation that Roe v Wade was “the worst abomination in the history of constitutional law.” He’s only 54 years old now and has been on the Eleventh Circuit for thirteen years. That might prompt a filibuster attempt by Democrats, but that’s a dangerous game for them to play, too.

Harry Reid all but eviscerated any precedent for protecting the filibuster, and provoking the nuclear option that Reid himself detonated in 2014 for appellate appointments risks allowing simple majorities to confirm even more “objectionable” nominations down the road. Republicans will never has as much moral authority as they do now to nuke the filibuster on SCOTUS confirmations, and after 2018’s midterms will probably have an even larger majority anyway.

Trump could kill more than one bird with one stone by choosing his first Supreme Court nominee from the Senate, but with Ted Cruz rather than Lee. Cruz looks likely to face a tough primary challenge for his seat in 2018, and he’s torched a number of bridges with his colleagues in the Senate over the last few years for very little gain. With Trump in the White House now, Cruz has to look to 2024 for a potential shot at the Oval Office, and could very well have been out of public office for six years by that time. His Senate colleagues might be delighted to confirm him and let Texas voters select Cruz’ replacement in 2018.  That would eliminate at least a theoretical opponent in the 2020 election for Trump and push Cruz into a position where he’d have to think carefully about criticizing the new administration. Plus — and this is no joke — the court would get a brilliant legal mind on constitutional issues to replace the one we lost early this year, potentially for the next 40 years, and a jurist unlikely to “grow in office” to the Left. Sounds like a win-win, right?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:48:25 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline SirLinksALot

RE: William Pryor

Somebody in this forum actually posted an unseemly skeleton in William Pryor's closet when he was a law student. I can't remember what it is ( it might have something to do with gay nude photographs ).

Offline SirLinksALot

For everyone's memory, For the most part, all of Trump's potential nominees have a history of supporting conservative issues.

Here are Donald Trump's potential Supreme Court nominees:

1. Keith Blackwell

2. Charles Canady

3. Steven Colloton

4. Allison Eid

5. Neil Gorsuch

6. Raymond Gruender

7. Thomas Hardiman

8. Raymond Kethledge

9. Joan Larsen

10. Mike Lee

11. Thomas Lee

12. Edward Mansfield

13. Federico Moreno

14. William Pryor

15. Margaret A. Ryan

16. Amul Thapar

17. Timothy Tymkovich

18. David Stras

19. Diane Sykes

20. Don Willett

21. Robert Young

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I hate to say it, but given the current Senate composition, Cruz would be Borked.

UNLESS—and this is a possibility—they go along with it to get him out of their chamber, kind of like they did with Kerry and SoS.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

While Cruz is beyond capable of the position, I feel he would be bored and secondly he would better serve the country right where he's at.  It is my understanding that Cruz will have his TX Senate seat as long as he wants it.  To dismiss that he's gong to run in 2020 because of Trump is silly.  Trump will be 74 years old when he's up for re-election. I know Reagan was the same age, but I just don't get the feeling that Trump is going to want to be a 2 term president.  Pence will be 61 next election.  Perhaps a Pence-Cruz  or Pence-Ryan ticket will be more likely.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mrclose

I hate to say it, but given the current Senate composition, Cruz would be Borked.

UNLESS—and this is a possibility—they go along with it to get him out of their chamber, kind of like they did with Kerry and SoS.

Senate Democrats will now play similar hardball, which will likely cause McConnell to get rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court justices just as Harry Reid did for lower-court nominees when Democrats controlled the Senate.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:37:00 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Don Willett has been laughing at Trump so you can write him off the list too.

Offline rodamala

Online corbe

Lots of great points here except this

Cruz looks likely to face a tough primary challenge for his seat in 2018

is not one of them.

Don't Underestimate Sen. Cruz's prospects for reelection in Texas Folks, you do so at your own Peril.

Nominating Sen. Cruz for Supreme Court Justice (if he want's it) would be the Smart thing to do, for Trump, but recent history has shown the nominator not to capable of that.

Cruz would be the perfect replacement for Scalia, very few people in America know Constitutional Law like this Jurist, or won as many cases before it's jurisdiction.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GrouchoTex

Lots of great points here except this

is not one of them.

Don't Underestimate Sen. Cruz's prospects for reelection in Texas Folks, you do so at your own Peril.

Nominating Sen. Cruz for Supreme Court Justice (if he want's it) would be the Smart thing to do, for Trump, but recent history has shown the nominator not to capable of that.

Cruz would be the perfect replacement for Scalia, very few people in America know Constitutional Law like this Jurist, or won as many cases before it's jurisdiction.

I'd like to see him remain in the Senate.
After Trump is gone, take another shot at the White House.
If that fails, I'd like to see him move the the Supreme Court, when the next slot would be available.
Just my opinion.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'd rather have Cruz on the Court than in the Senate.   But it may be more politic to elevate an experienced judge.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

No Borking will happen if DJT and Cruz want it.   Only takes 50 senate votes, (VP tiebreaker) and GOP controls senate in 2017
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:40:27 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ted Cruz, Glenn Beck and David Barton are the only one's who understand the Constitution. They are gods.

Offline Longmire

:silly:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'd like to see him remain in the Senate.
After Trump is gone, take another shot at the White House.
If that fails, I'd like to see him move the the Supreme Court, when the next slot would be available.
Just my opinion.

If we want someone with the same ideology as Scalia, Cruz would be our best bet for the next 30 - 40 years.

Senate will be 52-48 GOP, with VP as tie beaker.  I can't see 3 GOP senators voting against him.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
:silly:

As a Texan, I can assure you Cruz remains very popular, and will have no problem with re-election.

Standing up to NY liberals (Trump) makes you more popular.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:39:11 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Ted Cruz, Glenn Beck and David Barton are the only one's who understand the Constitution. They are gods.

You are still here, even with all the disgusting comments you have made lately?

Offline Frank Cannon

Cruz for Supreme Court. This guy can take his seat in TX....

Offline TomSea

Cruz did well to endorse Romney in 2012.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Hot Damn, I just remembered that 3rd government cabinet department I would eliminate.

Offline TomSea

Cruz for Supreme Court. This guy can take his seat in TX....

Or McCaul.

Of course, Frank also said Trump was the most unpopular Republican to run for President.

How is that looking now?

Offline Frank Cannon

Or McCaul.

Of course, Frank also said Trump was the most unpopular Republican to run for President.

How is that looking now?

Pretty e'fn good Tom. Who won the popular vote?

Offline TomSea

In the new senate come January, Cruz won't be able to grandstand so much as "I'm the only real conservative here".

Offline Frank Cannon

In the new senate come January, Cruz won't be able to grandstand so much as "I'm the only real conservative here".

Yes he can Tom, because Donny didn't run as Conservative. He ran as a Populist.

BTW, Donny is coming in with less vote total than Romney in '12. and McCain in '08. Don't fool yourself about what happened Tuesday.

geronl

For everyone's memory, For the most part, all of Trump's potential nominees have a history of supporting conservative issues.

Here are Donald Trump's potential Supreme Court nominees:

anyone paying attention knows Trump pretty much disavowed the list a day after it went out.