Author Topic: First big Trump-era question: Who’s up for the open SCOTUS seat? Is Ted Cruz Being Considered?  (Read 2866 times)

Offline jpsb

Lots of great points here except this

Don't Underestimate Sen. Cruz's prospects for reelection in Texas Folks, you do so at your own Peril.

Cruz burned a lot of bridges here in Texas, had he not joined team Trump last month he was toast here.  Now it all depends on who primaries him. If he is primaried by a popular well known Texan he is in trouble.

geronl

If we want someone with the same ideology as Scalia, Cruz would be our best bet for the next 30 - 40 years.

Senate will be 52-48 GOP, with VP as tie beaker.  I can't see 3 GOP senators voting against him.

I can only see 3 voting for him. The others would vote for him to get him out of the Senate, lol.

Offline Just_Victor

While Cruz is beyond capable of the position, I feel he would be bored and secondly he would better serve the country right where he's at.  It is my understanding that Cruz will have his TX Senate seat as long as he wants it.  To dismiss that he's gong to run in 2020 because of Trump is silly.  Trump will be 74 years old when he's up for re-election. I know Reagan was the same age, but I just don't get the feeling that Trump is going to want to be a 2 term president.  Pence will be 61 next election.  Perhaps a Pence-Cruz  or Pence-Ryan ticket will be more likely.

And given that the GOP margin in the Senate is down to 52/48, every conservative voice there is going to matter.  There are plenty of solid conservative jurists who are more than eligible for the SCOTUS.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

geronl

And given that the GOP margin in the Senate is down to 52/48, every conservative voice there is going to matter.  There are plenty of solid conservative jurists who are more than eligible for the SCOTUS.

Why would Trump ever nominate a solid conservative?

Offline Longmire

Pretty e'fn good Tom. Who won the popular vote?

Meaningless statistic Frank.

You can't change the rules after the game is played.

Offline jpsb

Pretty e'fn good Tom. Who won the popular vote?

They are still counting that. I wonder how many illegals voted? Fortunately we live in a republic not a democracy.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I hate to say it, but given the current Senate composition, Cruz would be Borked.

UNLESS—and this is a possibility—they go along with it to get him out of their chamber, kind of like they did with Kerry and SoS.

Trump would love to get Cruz out of the Senate... Trump don't need no Conscience of the Senate.

But Cruz would not take it.  He wants to be president and I hope he will be.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I can only see 3 voting for him. The others would vote for him to get him out of the Senate, lol.

3 GOP senators voting him if he is the SCOTUS nominee?

You really need to find the Sarcasm button on your key board.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

We have seen too many GOP SCOTUS justices veer left after they were put in.   Cruz on the other hand would be as dependable as Scalia as  a lifetime conservative stalwart

DJT....nominate him!!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Senate Democrats will now play similar hardball, which will likely cause McConnell to get rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court justices just as Harry Reid did for lower-court nominees when Democrats controlled the Senate.

If the Senate GOP collectively gets some testicular fortitude, the INSTANT that the DEMS show the use of filibuster against one nomination, the Reid tactic of suspending the filibuster for lower-court nominees should be reinstitution and then:

- split the 9th circuit into 2 or 3 court districts
- grow the number of US Attorney offices from 94 to 120
- remove the filibuster for appointment of US Attorneys
- fill every single open slot with a conservative judge in the entire federal system
- use the enumerated power for congress to appoint an ad-hoc tribunal, inferior to the supreme court, to act as a grand jury, to consider cases involving senior officers of the US government for corruption and other federal felonies.  Specifically allow the Sergent at Arms for the House to refer cases to the court and upon doing so, a special prosecutor shall be appointed by SCOTUS from those existing or former Federal prosecutors.  Further, Congress shall then convene said tribunal by appointing three current sitting federal court justices by majority vote from each chamber.  The proceedings of the tribunal shall be in secret during proceedings, and if enough evidence of misconduct is found, shall be referred to the US District court for prosecution. (essentially creating a prosecution / grand jury path outside of the control of the DOJ)

I doubt it will happen but one can dream

Offline rodamala

Cruz burned a lot of bridges here in Texas, had he not joined team Trump last month he was toast here.  Now it all depends on who primaries him. If he is primaried by a popular well known Texan he is in trouble.

***Comment edited by Party Official.***
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:45:41 pm by rodamala »

Offline mrclose

Or McCaul.

Of course, Frank also said Trump was the most unpopular Republican to run for President.

How is that looking now?

But, But ..You All Know the Hillary Clinton campaign hand-picked Donald Trump, Right?
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline skeeter

Ted Cruz, Glenn Beck and David Barton are the only one's who understand the Constitution. They are gods.
Seek help.

Honestly.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

:silly: :silly:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Seek help.

Honestly.

Contribute to the conversation please. It is against this website's rules to harass people. Honestly.

Do not personalize. That is a personal attack, one may think if they say it in a condescending way it's okay but it is against the rules.

You aren't the forum owner and it's not for you to spew this abuse.

This is just being a sore loser.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:37:52 pm by TomSea »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Contribute to the conversation please. It is against this website's rules to harass people. Honestly.

Do not personalize. That is a personal attack, one may think if they say it in a condescending way it's okay but it is against the rules.

This post is beyond irony.  Your record here speaks volumes about you.

Offline Axeslinger

You aren't the forum owner and it's not for you to spew this abuse.

This is just being a sore loser.

Why?  You generally don't.  In fact, your comment to which he was replying contributed nothing. Man up, son!  If you're gonna run around the site spouting the drivel you do, at least have the stones to take it when someone fires back at you.   The precious snowflake routine doesn't suit you. 
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline GrouchoTex

All of this fighting about the Supreme Court and the man hadn't been inaugurated yet.

That's why we can never have nice things!

All right, if you insist, I'll go on the Supreme Court, just don't make me pull this car over.
Don't make me come back there!

Offline rodamala

:hands:
The only "sore" around here is the putrid, oozing chancre of your desire to rub the faces in the dirt of those that you perceive to be "losers'.  There are no losers on this forum.  Hillary Clinton is not the President-Elect.  The posts I've read from you today have been shockingly and childishly abusive.  Frankly, I'm surprised one of the mods have yet to put you in timeout.  My guess is that none of us have pressed the abuse button as we aren't whiney-babies that enjoy doing such things, much less to the point that we post bait to attempt to attract flag-worthy replies as you have been doing.

Your behavior is shameful and beneath you, imo.  I do wish you would stop so this board can get past all the Trump-Anti-Trump garbage.  Please stop making me regret taking you off "ignore".

:amen: