Author Topic: Donald Trump is a demagogue. Period. The right’s failure to see it is a disgrace.  (Read 4897 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.wsj.com/articles/2016s-big-reveal-1478564830

2016’s Big Reveal
Donald Trump is a demagogue. Period. The right’s failure to see it is a disgrace.

By BRET STEPHENS
Nov. 7, 2016 7:27 p.m. ET

Someday, maybe, when I’m old and a child asks me what I remember about the awful election of 2016, I’ll say: It was the Big Reveal.

Revealed: That the guiding spirit of the modern conservative movement is neither Burke nor Lincoln. It’s Marx. “These are my principles,” Groucho once cracked, “and if you don’t like them, well, I have others.” Everything Republicans once claimed to advocate—entitlement reform, free trade, standing up to dictators, encouraging the march of freedom around the world—turns out to be negotiable and reversible, depending on Donald Trump’s whims and the furies of his base.

Revealed: That moral clarity and moral equivalence have become interchangeable concepts in today’s GOP. The same Republicans who pontificated throughout the 1990s about restoring honor and dignity to the Oval Office are now eager to rent that office to a man who boasts of his own sexual predations. Why? Because Bill Clinton already did it.

more at link
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:45:14 am by mystery-ak »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

One last loogie hocked in Trump's direction.

May you become what you most hate:  a big fat loser.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
To me he always struck me as a liberal trying to pass themselves off as their distorted image of a conservative.

HonestJohn

What all this shows is that most conservative intellectuals have proved incapable of self-examination or even simple observation. Donald Trump is a demagogue. Period. The fervor of his crowds recalls Nasser’s Egypt. His convictions are illiberal. His manners are disgusting. His temper is frightening. It ought to have been the job of thoughtful conservatives in this season to point this out, time and again. If they can’t do that, what good are they?

George Orwell said that “to see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.” The Big Reveal of 2016 is that most conservatives failed the Orwell test. On Tuesday we’ll learn if American voters can do better.

This is the money quote.

Very well said, Bret.

Offline aligncare

A big fat loser...

Who has built hundreds of properties, including skyscrapers worldwide, owns 500 companies, and starred for 11 years on one of the most popular shows on television. And that only begins to touch on Mr. Trump's resume.

Why don't you show us your resume, sinky. I'm sure you're not a loser like Donald Trump.

Offline aligncare

Offline aligncare

Oh, did I mention that he has great successful children and extended family and a beautiful wife?

Offline aligncare

...I should be such a loser.

Offline sinkspur

A big fat loser...

Who has built hundreds of properties, including skyscrapers worldwide, owns 500 companies, and starred for 11 years on one of the most popular shows on television. And that only begins to touch on Mr. Trump's resume.

Why don't you show us your resume, sinky. I'm sure you're not a loser like Donald Trump.

Trump is a middling businessman.  He's had four bankruptcies, can no  longer build much because of his terrible credit rating, and makes his money now by leasing his name to what others have constructed.

I would never be so stupid as to run for President.  Trump thought America just couldn't live without him at it's helm.

He will find out tomorrow that, indeed, America can and will. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:38:11 am by sinkspur »

Offline sinkspur

Oh, did I mention that he has great successful children and extended family and a beautiful wife?

He has great children because he had little to do with raising them.  He has said, numerous times, that he left that to Ivana, his first of three wives.

HonestJohn

A big fat loser...

Offline aligncare

Yeah, memes are very persuasive. Took how many seconds to post that brilliant argument, Johnny boy?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

I have been around the world. (twice).

I have done things that no one does. I have seen things that no one sees.

I am voting for Donald Trump because your life, my life, depends on it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

HonestJohn

Yeah, memes are very persuasive. Took how many seconds to post that brilliant argument, Johnny boy?

You don't even know where this came from.

LOL.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
He divorced two of those wives once they got past their sell-by dates and probably slept with his daughter. And you're using that filth as an ASSET?!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

I was married for 37 years... before we separated and divorced.

Get a grip, Jimmy. People get divorced. Reagan was divorced.

And that disgusting lie you threw in there is beneath contempt and doesn't merit a response.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
And that disgusting lie you threw in there is beneath contempt and doesn't merit a response.
"If she weren't my daughter, I'd be dating her." -- Actual quote from Donald
"We don't discuss those things in public." -- Actual quote from Ivanka

You tell me that's a lie.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline r9etb

It ought to have been the job of thoughtful conservatives in this season to point this out, time and again. If they can’t do that, what good are they?

There's the problem right there.  "Thoughtful conservative" has become an oxymoron.  "Talk radio conservative" is the thing now -- and that's precisely the type of shallow, invective-spewing "conservative" that fueled the Trump fire.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline chae

@jmyrlefuller

Also on the Wendy Williams show, Trump said the only thing he and Ivanka had in common was sex.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bret Stephens is another minority who doesn't like the majority, so could be accused of prejudice as well. Prejudice is a two way street.

Offline TomSea

There's the problem right there.  "Thoughtful conservative" has become an oxymoron.  "Talk radio conservative" is the thing now -- and that's precisely the type of shallow, invective-spewing "conservative" that fueled the Trump fire.

Oh, yes, others are so thoughtful.

But no problem for others to accuse others of hate right off in an argument.

The view from the Ivory Tower must be nice.

Offline TomSea

Newt Gingrich on TV, he must be supporting a demagogue.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
All of this is meaningless. Trump is the single most horrible human being to ever exist. I get that.

But what then? Are we going to throw our vote to a unconvicted felon and crook? Possibly a murder? Are we going to 'write in' Mickey Mouse?

Trump is all we have. All of this, everything else, is just so much noise in the air.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:37:16 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.