Author Topic: Donald Trump is a demagogue. Period. The right’s failure to see it is a disgrace.  (Read 4898 times)

Offline aligncare

"Donald Trump is the single most horrible human being to ever exist"

Does the name Hitler ring a bell? Jeffrey Dahmer? That guy on the radio trying to sell vitamins on the weekend?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

There's no more "we."  You can have Trump if you want him for your candidate.  If you want my vote, give me someone of good character, integrity and a history of conservative principles.  I will not throw my support to a vile man like Trump no matter who the left chooses.  They always choose a leftwing extremist.  That does not excuse Trump.  I would rather lose than "win" with someone like Trump.

Ok. Your choice is honorable and I respect you for it. But the consequences of what you are doing will be on your head, not mine.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
With respect to the title of the article, I see Trump as more of a blowhard -- an  ineffectual demagogue.

It's Hillary who will have the ability to turn her odious beliefs into actual policy.

Best example of that difference is their respective positions on the First Amendment.  Trump has made the ridiculous claim that libel law should be amended so that it is easier to sue newspapers.  On the other hand, Hillary wants to overturn Citizens United, which would be the first step towards silencing dissenting views coming from private citizens.

The difference is that Trump's proposed mangling of the First Amendment will not happen - no such case would even make it up to the courts, much less get enacted by Congress.  But Hillary's desire to reverse Citizens United?  That's pretty much a guarantee if she wins because of the Supreme Court.

Both hold offensive positions on the First Amendment, but only one is truly at risk of happening.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:13:43 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline r9etb

Oh, yes, others are so thoughtful.

But no problem for others to accuse others of hate right off in an argument.

The view from the Ivory Tower must be nice.

Annnnnd you prove my point.  Thank you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bill Clinton blamed Talk Radio in the 1990s; curious, that once again, Talk Radio in a general way, gets blame. 

I know George Will was blaming it.

Offline TomSea

There's no more "we."  You can have Trump if you want him for your candidate.  If you want my vote, give me someone of good character, integrity and a history of conservative principles.  I will not throw my support to a vile man like Trump no matter who the left chooses.  They always choose a leftwing extremist.  That does not excuse Trump.  I would rather lose than "win" with someone like Trump.

I find abortion much more vile; but again, if we have folks riding on high horses, don't let it bother one.

Offline TomSea

Yeah, I sure did, I sure got shown up. Thank you.

Offline TomSea

When folks put Trump down, it's fair to bring up others.

Dubya put Christians in the cross-fire, that's just historic fact, he also promoted open borders; so when one calls others vile,

I think they are being hypocrites.

Offline chae

Saying that you support Trump and are Pro-Life is the epitome of hypocrisy.
Please do tell me about all the "great things" that you and Trump both think Planned Parenthood does.

Offline TomSea

I'm glad you admit you would basically use the race card like any card carrying liberal; can't win a debate otherwise.

Offline Resp3

Ok. Your choice is honorable and I respect you for it. But the consequences of what you are doing will be on your head, not mine.

The word you wanted was "benefits". Not consequences. It's nice to know you admit to not voting for Trump was an honorable choice. One that you respect. So when you chose the word consequences - you chose poorly.

@240B

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Please do tell me about all the "great things" that you and Trump both think Planned Parenthood does.

You are insane. Hillary Clinton is the world's leading leader on abortion. Have you lost your mind?
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Resp3

What all this shows is that most conservative intellectuals have proved incapable of self-examination or even simple observation. Donald Trump is a demagogue. Period. The fervor of his crowds recalls Nasser’s Egypt. His convictions are illiberal. His manners are disgusting. His temper is frightening. It ought to have been the job of thoughtful conservatives in this season to point this out, time and again. If they can’t do that, what good are they?

George Orwell said that “to see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.” The Big Reveal of 2016 is that most conservatives failed the Orwell test. On Tuesday we’ll learn if American voters can do better.

This is the money quote.

Very well said, Bret.

I disagree. Bret is all about blaming conservatives here.

Bah. Conservatives had nothing to do with this Trump fiasco. Republicans are to blame. Conservatives tried and tried to push through Ted Cruz. Or anyone else but Trump. We warned you. We told you so.

@HonestJohn

Offline TomSea

Cruz, Paul, Lee, Rubio have done nothing  in comparison to Mike Pence on the pro-life issue, all of them together haven't.

That's my way of seeing it, you can disagree but I do think my point of view is reasonable.

The most pro-life Republican ever on the ticket gets my vote.

Again, research the issue if one cares too. We should not have to reinvent the wheel here,

lifenews.com

lifesitenews.com

Are good places to start.

Offline TomSea

What all this shows is that most conservative intellectuals have proved incapable of self-examination or even simple observation. Donald Trump is a demagogue. Period. The fervor of his crowds recalls Nasser’s Egypt. His convictions are illiberal. His manners are disgusting. His temper is frightening. It ought to have been the job of thoughtful conservatives in this season to point this out, time and again. If they can’t do that, what good are they?

George Orwell said that “to see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.” The Big Reveal of 2016 is that most conservatives failed the Orwell test. On Tuesday we’ll learn if American voters can do better.

This is the money quote.

Very well said, Bret.

I disagree. Bret is all about blaming conservatives here.

Bah. Conservatives had nothing to do with this Trump fiasco. Republicans are to blame. Conservatives tried and tried to push through Ted Cruz. Or anyone else but Trump. We warned you. We told you so.

@HonestJohn

If one doesn't like Democracy, there is always North Korea, it's not the primary season now.

Cruz couldn't even win one state in Dixie Proper. His wins really came in the rocky mountain west.

Offline r9etb

Yeah, I sure did, I sure got shown up. Thank you.

First law of holes, Tom.  You need to learn it.

Offline TomSea

Resp3 is right, put another Texan in the White House; not enough persecution of Christians in the Middle East happened under Dubya I suppose. What a success that was.

Offline TomSea

First law of holes, Tom.  You need to learn it.

Keep up the condescending arrogant attitude.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The word you wanted was "benefits". Not consequences. It's nice to know you admit to not voting for Trump was an honorable choice. One that you respect. So when you chose the word consequences - you chose poorly.

@240B

Not you, or me, Time will find one of us right.
I hope it is you.

Offline r9etb

Keep up the condescending arrogant attitude.

Honestly, Tom, I didn't have you in mind when I originally mentioned "invective-spewing 'conservatives,'" but you insist on behaving like one, scare quotes and all.  Do you simply refuse to think before you post?

Offline TomSea

Curious how Ted Cruz's position to support the nominee is now scoffed at.

Offline TomSea

Honestly, Tom, I didn't have you in mind when I originally mentioned "invective-spewing 'conservatives,'" but you insist on behaving like one, scare quotes and all.  Do you simply refuse to think before you post?

Keep up the insults;

I don't need them to make an argument. I guess that doesn't apply to everyone.

Offline jpsb

http://www.wsj.com/articles/2016s-big-reveal-1478564830

2016’s Big Reveal
Donald Trump is a demagogue. Period. The right’s failure to see it is a disgrace.

By BRET STEPHENS
Nov. 7, 2016 7:27 p.m. ET

Everything Republicans once claimed to advocate—entitlement reform, free trade, standing up to dictators, encouraging the march of freedom around the world—

Sans entitlement reform those are not traditional republican values those are neocon values.

Offline jpsb

Resp3 is right, put another Texan in the White House; not enough persecution of Christians in the Middle East happened under Dubya I suppose. What a success that was.
After Bush I don't think the country is ready for another Texan in the White House. Cruz would have lost on the Natural Born Citizen thing alone. Cruz had zero chance of winning the general, to many on the right take the constitution seriously and his flip flop on TPA/TPP was monumental. Rubio had the same problem but to a lesser extent since Rubio was born here, flipping on amnesty would have killed Rubio with middle/working class voters. For conservatives the choice was Trump, Cruz, Huckebee, Santorium maybe Carson. Everyone else was card carrying uniparty. And I have my doubts about Cruzs' bonifides as an anti-establishment candidate.

Offline aligncare

After Bush I don't think the country is ready for another Texan in the White House. Cruz would have lost on the Natural Born Citizen thing alone. Cruz had zero chance of winning the general, to many on the right take the constitution seriously and his flip flop on TPA/TPP was monumental. Rubio had the same problem but to a lesser extent since Rubio was born here, flipping on amnesty would have killed Rubio with middle/working class voters. For conservatives the choice was Trump, Cruz, Huckebee, Santorium maybe Carson. Everyone else was card carrying uniparty. And I have my doubts about Cruzs' bonifides as an anti-establishment candidate.

I agree with much of your analysis.

I believe Donald Trump may be our last best chance to restore the republic given us by our founders.

He must have a special stomach lining because he has not wavered one bit in the face of daily streams of brutal, over-the-top criticisms and attacks on him, his family, his business. He did not need to do this, yet has willingly sacrificed nearly 2 years of his life to get to this point. He has the resources to live a life of grand luxury, but chose instead service to his fellow Americans. He has undertaken this challenge, I believe, purely for love of country.

He truly is a great American.  :patriot: