Author Topic: They Always Wanted Trump  (Read 1065 times)

Offline sinkspur

They Always Wanted Trump
« on: November 07, 2016, 02:53:44 pm »
They Always Wanted Trump

Inside Team Clinton’s year-long struggle to find a strategy against the opponent they were most eager to face.

By GABRIEL DEBENEDETTI November 07, 2016

A set of tables stood where the bed should have been in the 12th-floor Manchester hotel room Hillary Clinton’s aides were using as a New Hampshire war room. It was February 6 and their candidate was 44 miles east, desperately trying to excite New Englanders at a Portsmouth rally after limping out of Iowa essentially tied against her challenger.

But New Hampshire was a lost cause, and her team knew it. So instead of watching Clinton deliver a speech, members of her senior team huddled around a television in the room that served as a home base for campaign chairman John Podesta, manager Robby Mook, chief strategist Joel Benenson and communications director Jennifer Palmieri. They watched, in shock, as the man they had feared most as Republican nominee tanked under an assault designed to boot him from the GOP primary race.

By the end of the night, the narrative was set: Marco Rubio had just lost it all on the debate stage across town from that Radisson hotel room, stuck in a robotic delivery of canned lines under Chris Christie's brutal cross-examination.

In Brooklyn headquarters, staff in the 11th-floor nerve center called the Nevada room broke into giddy laughter every time the increasingly desperate Rubio repeated himself. But back in Manchester, the new reality hit Clinton’s inner circle like a ton of bricks—there might be no one left who could stop Donald Trump from clinching the Republican nomination.

“When Rubio got taken out in New Hampshire on the debate stage, that was a moment when I said, ‘OK, this looks like it,’” said former New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair Kathy Sullivan. “He was the golden child at that point, and then was just destroyed.”

“That’s when I realized that there was something bigger going on,” added one of Clinton’s longtime friends and advisers who remembers watching in disbelief, feeling in the moment that the ground was shifting underneath the campaign. Trump “is a master manipulator and a master of the counterintuitive. He knows exactly how to get things done. It’s disgusting to watch. But it’s effective.”

Even with that view emerging so early in the contest (it would be 16 more weeks before Trump clinched his party’s nomination), Clinton’s team would struggle in the ensuing months to land on a strategy that would stick. Within days of that February GOP debate, Clinton’s aides started considering how to redraw the battleground map it had been relying on for well over a year, assessing Colorado’s and Virginia’s swing-state status and re-running the numbers on suburban white women and young Latinos. They would direct the Democrat to try out, and ditch, one campaign slogan after another. And as she finally wriggled out of the primary to face Trump, the strategy was still evolving, producing dramatic tactical shifts — from embracing disaffected Republicans to firing up liberals, from previewing an uplifting closing stretch to savaging Trump with an unprecedented television ad barrage.

“I asked a Clinton staffer about this,” said Sullivan, who around that time briefly went online to research Irish double-citizenship out of her revulsion with the Republican nominee-to-be. “He said, ‘Well, you know, now we have to save the republic.’"

It was a great paradox after nearly a year of virtual certainty—and outright enthusiasm—about their ultimate opponent that her team would swing between overconfidence, denial and disbelief as it struggled to concoct an electoral formula for stopping Trump.

More at link

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-2016-donald-trump-214428#ixzz4PKmNmRwh
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:56:00 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: They Always Wanted Trump
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »
Interesting that they were looking at Rubio.  No mention of the 1st runner-up, they went straight to Rubio.

From the article:  "But Clinton, at least, got the opponent her aides wanted, and a strategy to stick to."

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:01:09 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:16:23 am »
That's why these kids shouldn't have access to magic markers. Besides the vandalism, sniffing them causes long term brain damage.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:37:15 am »
Interesting that they were looking at Rubio.  No mention of the 1st runner-up, they went straight to Rubio.

From the article:  "But Clinton, at least, got the opponent her aides wanted, and a strategy to stick to."
They don't even want to mention that fellow for fear he'll be back.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 04:45:34 pm »
Just for the record and I don't wish to violate any protocol; there sure is someone who sounds and looks a lot like Mr. S. (the OP here) at the lunaticoutpost forum. I don't post there myself but I was searching for a story and it took me there.  I hope it's okay to say that here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:45:51 pm by TomSea »

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »
That's why these kids shouldn't have access to magic markers. Besides the vandalism, sniffing them causes long term brain damage.

WTH are you doing son. @Frank Cannon.  Let/leave the dead alone.;)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 05:16:09 pm »
They Always Wanted Trump

Inside Team Clinton’s year-long struggle to find a strategy against the opponent they were most eager to face.

By GABRIEL DEBENEDETTI November 07, 2016

They would direct the Democrat to try out, and ditch, one campaign slogan after another. And as she finally wriggled out of the primary to face Trump, the strategy was still evolving, producing dramatic tactical shifts — from embracing disaffected Republicans to firing up liberals, from previewing an uplifting closing stretch to savaging Trump with an unprecedented television ad barrage.

Interesting that they thought Hillary could "Embrace disaffected Republicans".

I'm not sure why, but the attitude seems to be (always, and from both parties) that the lack of popularity of a candidate results from them not being liberal enough, when in reality (at least with all the disaffected Republicans I know), the problem is that those candidates are not Conservative enough.

The idea that Hillary could capture any of the disaffected Republican vote is, frankly, laughable. While there might be a scattering in the Northeast, the vast majority of the Republicans were for the most conservative candidates they could vote for, and when the Primary dust settled, what remained was just not Conservative enough for some, and others who felt that way were only induced to vote as they did out of fear of someone they knew would be more Liberal than the alternative, and there, in districts where that vote might make a difference.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mod2

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 05:19:27 pm »
Mod casts sleep on necrothread.

Don't scare me like that. I thought he was back.