Author Topic: Put Christian values on hold until after the election – Jerry Falwell Jr.  (Read 11552 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Put Christian values on hold until after the election – Jerry Falwell Jr.
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2016, 11:35:05 am »
In this sparkling interview, he says we have to put our Christian principles on hold until after the election:

100% false.

Mr. Falwell may not be the most articulate spokesman, but those words were not uttered by him.

Classic case of the media putting words in someone else's mouth.

Reading the thread now...glad someone else noticed that. But, Falwell is out of his depth. Trump's original apology is what his surrogates need to refer to and then pivot to the media's ignoring the actual crimes of both Clinton's.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2016, 11:49:38 am »
What he said exactly or not, Trumpsters were sure eager to jump on this thread and say he's right. Showing that they really do àgree with the headline.....and I guess that's the real lesson here, isn't it?

The whole discussion has an element of absurdity, being based on a made up premise in the headline. But, maybe someone can define what principles and values are allegedly to be discarded.

Silver Pines

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2016, 12:43:51 pm »
Actually, if you want the parts that bad, maybe he'll sell them to you.

@Smokin Joe

:rolling:

Silver Pines

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2016, 12:46:57 pm »
Reading the thread now...glad someone else noticed that. But, Falwell is out of his depth. Trump's original apology is what his surrogates need to refer to and then pivot to the media's ignoring the actual crimes of both Clinton's.

@don-o

I watched the interview, as well.  From my post earlier in the thread:Baier:  "Mr. Falwell, what about what Dr. Ben Carson said there, that yes, we need to bring back Judeo-Christian values and we need to do that in our country, but frankly he essentially suggested put that on hold because the train's going over the cliff?"

Falwell: "Absolutely."

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2016, 01:02:42 pm »
At some point one must ask: Who are you following, Man or Yeshua?
Technically, Christians, by definition, follow Christ.

That is always a good question, but it is not the only question. Another one to ask is, "What is the most likely outcome of my of my decision and action?"

I  have taken a break from politics and even looking at this board, but have kept up generally with the highlights of events. I see nothing that changes my certainty that one of two people will be elected President. So I make my decision on my vote by answering two questions.

1. Which of the two is more likely to bring more damage and destruction upon the Republic?
2. Which of the two is less likely to be blocked by Constitutional restraints on executive power.

For a time, I was attached to the no "lesser evil" concept. But that is, at its base, an abandonment of my responsibility to the next generation.

As far as who I am "following", it is not a relevant question to pose. Politics is the realm of man.

I plan to vote for Trump.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »
@don-o

I watched the interview, as well.  From my post earlier in the thread:Baier:  "Mr. Falwell, what about what Dr. Ben Carson said there, that yes, we need to bring back Judeo-Christian values and we need to do that in our country, but frankly he essentially suggested put that on hold because the train's going over the cliff?"

Falwell fell into a trap there. He's not all that bright.

Silver Pines

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2016, 01:22:41 pm »
Falwell fell into a trap there. He's not all that bright.

@don-o

As a local, I've long thought he was a flake, for reasons I won't go into.    But I won't try to excuse away his clear response to a simple question.  It certainly wasn't a trap.

I've seen plenty of speeches given by famous people at LU with Jerry Jr. sitting in the background. He always had a pleasant expression, a smile, on his face.  Yesterday Gary Johnson spoke there, and I was struck by the miserable look on Falwell's face as he sat there.  He didn't bother to disguise it.  He actually did a little eyeroll at one point.  I guess it was just too painful to have anyone except his cult master speaking.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2016, 03:40:06 pm »
@don-o

Falwell: "Absolutely, the Supreme Court is at stake."

Falwell goes on to provide further context to his remarks, including a relevant quote from William Howard Taft.

Clearly Falwell and other Evangelical leaders around the country see the future of the Supreme Court as an overriding issue in deciding who to vote for in this election.  It is precisely because they fear the erosion of Christian values and loss of religious liberty that they are willing to forgive Donald Trump's human flaws and vote for him.

@CatherineofAragon To give the impression that all Falwell said was "absolutely" is 100% false.  :nono:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2016, 03:55:54 pm »
Falwell: "Absolutely, the Supreme Court is at stake."

Falwell goes on to provide further context to his remarks, including a relevant quote from William Howard Taft.

Clearly Falwell and other Evangelical leaders around the country see the future of the Supreme Court as an overriding issue in deciding who to vote for in this election.  It is precisely because they fear the erosion of Christian values and loss of religious liberty that they are willing to forgive Donald Trump's human flaws and vote for him.

@CatherineofAragon To give the impression that all Falwell said was "absolutely" is 100% false.  :nono:

But she spoke the truth. You just don't like the truth.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2016, 04:28:03 pm »

What that suggests is that Evangelical "leaders" consider the Supreme Court as the last bastion of Christian values and religious liberty in the U.S.

That seems to me a very odd sort of position for any Christian to take.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2016, 04:54:07 pm »
What that suggests is that Evangelical "leaders" consider the Supreme Court as the last bastion of Christian values and religious liberty in the U.S.

No one can objectively argue the USSC doesn't impact Christian values and religious liberty in the United States.

One need look no further than Engel v. Vitale to rebut that nonsense.  :nono:

Offline r9etb

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2016, 05:20:56 pm »
No one can objectively argue the USSC doesn't impact Christian values and religious liberty in the United States.

One need look no further than Engel v. Vitale to rebut that nonsense.

So you're saying that Christians should look to the Supreme Court as the last bastion of Christian values.

Silver Pines

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2016, 06:09:16 pm »
But she spoke the truth. You just don't like the truth.

@Norm Lenhart

While we're at it, let me congratulate you on being a conservative man who has genuine respect for women.  Many of them have thrown us under the bus in their zeal to support a candidate with a history of sexual assault.

The next time some feminist starts in on our men not caring about women, I won't offer any defense of them.  I'll  say, "Yep, in a lot of cases, you're right."

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2016, 06:18:00 pm »
@Norm Lenhart

While we're at it, let me congratulate you on being a conservative man who has genuine respect for women.  Many of them have thrown us under the bus in their zeal to support a candidate with a history of sexual assault.

The next time some feminist starts in on our men not caring about women, I won't offer any defense of them.  I'll  say, "Yep, in a lot of cases, you're right."

Don't feel bad about it either. Most males couldn't qualify as men if you handed them the answers to the test.

As for respecting women, it's pretty much a no brainer. You don't get through life happy and successful otherwise. You may be a Trumper and get through life happy, but without success and vice versa. NO male has both when 50% of the planet lacks a penis. Simple math. Trump proves it. He's a walking anger issue despite all his supposed wealth.

Besides, Lydia made me say that. And since she carries my burdens, I owed her.

Now fix my sammich woman!

(Tries vainly to duck skillet.)

Offline Longmire

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2016, 07:58:34 pm »
So you're saying that Christians should look to the Supreme Court as the last bastion of Christian values.

Last bastion = your words.

Offline DB

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2016, 08:01:41 pm »

That appears to have gone right over your head.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2016, 08:03:05 pm »

So you tell me what other terms might suffice to describe your statement:

Clearly Falwell and other Evangelical leaders around the country see the future of the Supreme Court as an overriding issue in deciding who to vote for in this election.  It is precisely because they fear the erosion of Christian values and loss of religious liberty

Future of the Supreme Court is the overriding issue with regard to the erosion of Christian values and loss of religious liberty.

Does not "last bastion" accurately describe this view of the Supreme Court?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2016, 09:14:45 pm »

That seems to me a very odd sort of position for any Christian to take.
If the future of that court overrides Christian Values, what values will that future court have? If those who would lead their flocks lead them away from The Lord, where does that leave The Almighty's sheep?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2016, 09:28:05 pm »
If the future of that court overrides Christian Values, what values will that future court have? If those who would lead their flocks lead them away from The Lord, where does that leave The Almighty's sheep?

Liberals are upset that people that actually try to follow their faith are rejecting the idiocy of setting aside that faith. Shows you how corrupted anyone that would suggest such a thing actually is. And they don't like the exposure one bit.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2016, 09:47:24 pm »
Well hello, @don-o  !  Sure nice to see you.

That is always a good question, but it is not the only question. Another one to ask is, "What is the most likely outcome of my of my decision and action?"

Indeed. One of the reasons I will not vote for Trump is the danger of him winning with a mandate, thus further empowering him...

I also fear, more than any other thing, the specter of one who obfuscates the true Conservative vision, and overlays it with his own, but still doing all in our name.

I  have taken a break from politics and even looking at this board, but have kept up generally with the highlights of events. I see nothing that changes my certainty that one of two people will be elected President. So I make my decision on my vote by answering two questions.

1. Which of the two is more likely to bring more damage and destruction upon the Republic?
2. Which of the two is less likely to be blocked by Constitutional restraints on executive power.
For a time, I was attached to the no "lesser evil" concept. But that is, at its base, an abandonment of my responsibility to the next generation.

As far as who I am "following", it is not a relevant question to pose. Politics is the realm of man.

I plan to vote for Trump.

I know you haven't been around... Happy to see you back, even if for a bit.

I have yet to see a valid argument for voting for lesser evil. I have yet to see a valid reason to endorse Trump. His impulsive lying and changing positions have left him with no credibility whatsoever. Hence, the only argument left to his defenders, is that he is somehow 'better than Hillary'. I do not find that argument to be necessarily true, or particularly compelling.

Thus I remain precisely where you left me - I will be voting for Castle, or, if he has a chance to win the state, perhaps McMullin. Either one is more Conservative than anything else out there, Either one will guarantee a Conservative platform. I like Castle better, because he has more record to go by.

Since there are valid Conservatives on the ballot, and since I am Conservative, no other choice makes a lick of sense. I am doing precisely as the forefathers require. I am endorsing that which I believe in.

I will do no other.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:48:22 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Longmire

« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2016, 10:00:59 pm »
So you tell me what other terms might suffice to describe your statement:

Future of the Supreme Court is the overriding issue with regard to the erosion of Christian values and loss of religious liberty.

Other terms aren't required...unless your intention is to twist and distort Falwell's meaning.

Fortunately the vast majority of evangelicals don't share your warped views.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2016, 10:05:06 pm »
Other terms aren't required...unless your intention is to twist and distort Falwell's meaning.

Fortunately the vast majority of evangelicals don't share your warped views.
Matt 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Longmire

« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »
Matt 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen...

You're all special snowflakes...I get that.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2016, 10:28:48 pm »
You're all special snowflakes...I get that.
Some don't melt in the fire.

C S Lewis