Author Topic: How Not To Waste Your Vote: A Mathematical Analysis  (Read 1383 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
How Not To Waste Your Vote: A Mathematical Analysis
« on: October 04, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
A very interesting read and a deeper mathematical dive into something I've been saying for a while- voting  your values, even if it is a third party, is not a wasted vote. At that, analyzing the math behind it, your vote is actually more powerful if you do this. So don't play the game, stick with your values, wherever that may take you.  (just excerpting the final summary below because all the detailed information needs to be taken in as a whole).

....The Value of Your Vote

The value of your vote is what you give it. Should you spend it on a candidate you don’t believe in? Should it be an exercise in fear? It’s up to you. It is my hope that these mathematical calculations will bring you freedom from the idea that only majority party votes matter. A vote is a statement, a vote is personal, a vote is an expression of your citizenship in this country. If enough people vote their conscience and vote for what they believe in, things can change.

If you are already a staunch supporter of a major party, then you should vote that way. This paper is not against the major parties at all – but rather against the concept that votes somehow “belong” to only Democrats or Republicans. Votes belong to the voter. There has never been a more important time to vote your conscience.

https://fee.org/articles/how-not-to-waste-your-vote-a-mathematical-analysis/

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: How Not To Waste Your Vote: A Mathematical Analysis
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 05:59:26 pm »
"None of These Candidates" is still going to be my vote.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:15:33 pm »
"None of These Candidates" is still going to be my vote.
It's down ticket only for me, even if there was an actual Conservative running this year it would make no difference if I voted because California is going to the demonrat.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 07:21:16 pm »
It's down ticket only for me, even if there was an actual Conservative running this year it would make no difference if I voted because California is going to the demonrat.

You still have a write-in vote in California, no? Nevada doesn't; it has only "None of These Candidates."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:29:24 pm »

I would still recommend for President, finding the candidate available on your ballot that most closely matches your values, even if it is third party or write-in versus leaving that blank.

This article specifically uses California as an example and they show the mathematical weight of your one vote in California for that candidate is far more powerful than a vote for a major party candidate.

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 10:01:34 pm »
I vote in a swing state.

I'll be maximizing my power to oppose Trump.