General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

After Sleeping On It, My Morning After Thoughts of Cruz's Endorsement of Trump

(1/2) > >>

Silver Pines:

After Sleeping On It, My Morning After Thoughts of Cruz's Endorsement of Trump

by Steve Deace
09/24/2016

The toughest part about what I do for a living is I have to constantly make a choice between being a shill or being honest. This business leaves you little room in between (it does love its flawed, binary choices after all), and isn't much for distinctions.

Yet, I keep trying to draw them anyway, thus ticking off nearly everybody in the process.

This becomes particularly problematic when you develop relationships with people. Which is unavoidable unless you're Vulcan, and then even in that case Spock made friends after a 5-year mission on the Enterprise.  However, relationships are complicated. For they both cloud things and provide clarity simultaneously. On the one hand, they allow you to know more than the average person does because of the access. But they also cause you to project on the other, because you see what you want to see more so than what actually is.

Here's what that means in the context of Cruz's decision to endorse Trump yesterday.

Read more at:

https://www.facebook.com/stevedeace/posts/635786053268104

Silver Pines:
This is a thoughtful, very fair piece, IMO.

Deace linked to it on his twitter timeline; the title is the caption he used for the link.  If it isn't within TBR posting rules, mods please remove it.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: CatherineofAragon on September 24, 2016, 04:06:57 pm ---

This becomes particularly problematic when you develop relationships with people. Which is unavoidable unless you're Vulcan, and then even in that case Spock made friends after a 5-year mission on the Enterprise.  However, relationships are complicated. For they both cloud things and provide clarity simultaneously.

Read more at:

https://www.facebook.com/stevedeace/posts/635786053268104

--- End quote ---

Sorry Captain.......Supporting Trump would be utterly illogical......

Silver Pines:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on September 24, 2016, 04:19:40 pm ---Sorry Captain.......Supporting Trump would be utterly illogical......

--- End quote ---

Lol, the lips *shudder*

Cripplecreek:
I think there is probably a lot more going on behind the scenes that we don't know. After all we know how quickly the GOPe will work to screw the American people over.

In this case I suspect there is a hostage situation with us being the hostages. Ted Cruz has been virtually alone in his fight to save the internet from Obama giving it away. Barely a peep has come out of the Trump camp till yesterday when his surrogates started chattering about what a great patriot Ted Cruz has been in fighting to save the internet. I don't doubt for a second that the GOPe would threaten to allow the internet giveaway if Trump didn't get a Cruz endorsement. If so, we'll find out sooner or later. If Cruz took a bullet for our Freedoms, he'll get a political purple heart for it eventually. Ted Cruz is still a 95%+ conservative by all legitimate standards. What are we supposed to do, replace him with a 50%er like McCaul?

As far as the "endorsement" is concerned, I'm disappointed but hardly suicidal about it. For us to be suicidal or enraged at Cruz is exactly what the Trump crowd wants. As you can see here, Trumpers are behind their usual cowering rock attacking Cruz and those of us who supported him with glee. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,226513.0.html

At the end of the day they've managed to force Ted Cruz to absolve himself from blame when Trump loses. I'm looking forward to watching them figure out that NeverTrump had nothing to do with Ted Cruz. And second, it will become clear that the rage against Cruz was never about an endorsement. As you can see from the above link that they've only doubled down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version