Author Topic: Trump accepts Cruz endorsement after saying he wouldn't  (Read 3184 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump accepts Cruz endorsement after saying he wouldn't
« on: September 23, 2016, 09:01:20 pm »
September 23, 2016, 04:48 pm

By Ben Kamisar

Donald Trump on Friday accepted Sen. Ted Cruz's (R-Texas) endorsement, despite promising in July not to.

After Cruz was booed at the Republican National Convention for refusing to endorse Trump, the GOP presidential nominee tore into his formal rival.

Trump predicted at the time that Cruz would eventually endorse, but said that “if he gives it, I will not accept it.”

"He'll come and endorse in the next little while because he has no choice. … I don't want his endorsement. Ted, stay home, relax, enjoy yourself."

But when Cruz’s endorsement came Friday in the form of a lengthy Facebook post, Trump accepted it with open arms.

"I am greatly honored by the endorsement of Senator Cruz. We have fought the battle and he was a tough and brilliant opponent," the businessman said in a statement released by his campaign.

"I look forward to working with him for many years to come in order to make America great again."

The two battled fiercely in a GOP presidential primary that occasionally turned personal.

Trump frequently called Cruz "Lyin' Ted,” shared an unflattering picture of his wife making fun of her appearance and questioned whether his father was involved in President John F. Kennedy's assassination.

Cruz argued the day after his convention speech that his pledge to support the eventual GOP nominee was “abrogated” by Trump’s personal attacks.

"Neither he nor his campaign has taken back a word of what they said about my family," he said.

"That pledge was not a blanket commitment that if you go and slander and attack Heidi, that I'm going to nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say thank you very much for maligning my wife and maligning my father."

The former rivals had signaled a thawing in relations in recent days. Trump on Thursday blessed a Cruz-led push to prevent the Obama administration from ceding oversight of a key internet function come October.

And on Friday, his campaign released additions to his list of potential Supreme Court nominees that included Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), a close Cruz confidante who himself has not yet endorsed Trump.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/297531-trump-accepts-cruz-endorsement-after-saying-he-wouldnt

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Trump accepts Cruz endorsement after saying he wouldn't
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:03:49 pm »
no comment.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 09:04:08 pm »

If I were Heidi Cruz I would get myself to a divorce attorney right about now.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:11:39 pm »
What else is new?  Trump changes his mind, flip flops and outright lies all the time.  I recall him saying early on in the primaries that he didn't need a unified party (and everyone's vote) to win the presidency.  Lied about that too.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:17 pm »
September 23, 2016, 04:48 pm

By Ben Kamisar

Donald Trump on Friday accepted Sen. Ted Cruz's (R-Texas) endorsement, despite promising in July not to.

After Cruz was booed at the Republican National Convention for refusing to endorse Trump, the GOP presidential nominee tore into his formal rival.

Trump predicted at the time that Cruz would eventually endorse, but said that “if he gives it, I will not accept it.”

"He'll come and endorse in the next little while because he has no choice. … I don't want his endorsement. Ted, stay home, relax, enjoy yourself."

But when Cruz’s endorsement came Friday in the form of a lengthy Facebook post, Trump accepted it with open arms.

"I am greatly honored by the endorsement of Senator Cruz. We have fought the battle and he was a tough and brilliant opponent," the businessman said in a statement released by his campaign.

"I look forward to working with him for many years to come in order to make America great again."

The two battled fiercely in a GOP presidential primary that occasionally turned personal.

Trump frequently called Cruz "Lyin' Ted,” shared an unflattering picture of his wife making fun of her appearance and questioned whether his father was involved in President John F. Kennedy's assassination.

Cruz argued the day after his convention speech that his pledge to support the eventual GOP nominee was “abrogated” by Trump’s personal attacks.

"Neither he nor his campaign has taken back a word of what they said about my family," he said.

"That pledge was not a blanket commitment that if you go and slander and attack Heidi, that I'm going to nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say thank you very much for maligning my wife and maligning my father."

The former rivals had signaled a thawing in relations in recent days. Trump on Thursday blessed a Cruz-led push to prevent the Obama administration from ceding oversight of a key internet function come October.

And on Friday, his campaign released additions to his list of potential Supreme Court nominees that included Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), a close Cruz confidante who himself has not yet endorsed Trump.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/297531-trump-accepts-cruz-endorsement-after-saying-he-wouldnt
Doesn't matter to me. My reluctance to support Trump had nothing to do with Cruz's reluctance. Cruz deciding to endorse will not affect me one iota. I would vote for Cruz but his endorsement is like any other political or celebrity endorsement. Means nada.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 09:27:42 pm »
There's a few threads on this, and it is both sad and fascinating that it has actually made things uglier here.

He's in the same boat as many of the rest of us -- faced with a difficult decision to support a guy he does not like, so as to try to prevent someone worse from taking office.  He loves his country, and sees the risk from Hillary -- particularly with regards to the Court -- as something he wishes to oppose as much as possible.  I can understand people not agreeing with that decision, but I truly believe that he made the decision he sees as the most moral.  He judged his personal feelings and emotions about his wife and father to be less important than what he saw as the better course for the country.  And he did it with as much dignity as anyone could.  In a sense, it's a pretty noble sacrifice.

Good for him.

I truly don't understand those who condemn him for this, nor do I understand some of the Trump supporters who see this as an opportunity to gloat/rub it in the faces of others.   It seems some thrive on conflict and ill-will.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:31:07 pm »
If I were Heidi Cruz I would get myself to a divorce attorney right about now.
No tears for her. She got her Goldman Sachs job back. She was a willing co-conspirator.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 09:40:55 pm »
It isn't really an endorsement.  it's a conquest.  Trump wins.

how is accepting and endorsement he claimed he wouldn't Winning anything? 

the 12 million plus democrats that helped The Proven Loser get nominated thanks to those inane open primaries wont be VOTING for him in the REAL ELECTION.

given the number of times he lost to the clinton harridan in the  head to head polls.....hes already a guaranteed loser!

He knows that..Ted Cruz most certainly knows that.. and I know that!!

this endorsement wont change anything of any significance exception the MINDS of the Conny and his Devotees!   

hes HER STALKING HORSE the guy the democrats PICKED knowing that he could Not BEAT their  candidate!!

Mark my word. Bookmark this message and get back to re read it on November 9th!
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 10:02:52 pm »
It isn't really an endorsement.  it's a conquest.  Trump wins.

I see it as Trump getting desperate and sent Pence over to the Cruz camp to deliver a back door apology and to negotiate (beg) for some kind of support from Cruz.  I also think that Cruz then forced Trump into releasing the new/current list of conservative nominees for the vacant SCOTUS seat.

All in all, Trump lost

Offline RedHead

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 10:05:06 pm »
Is there anything that Trump won't flip-flop on?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:06:08 pm »
Is there anything that Trump won't flip-flop on?
I don't see him calling Ivanka ugly any time soon.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 02:42:53 am »
It was wise of Mr. Cruz to endorse Mr. Trump.

It was also wise of Mr. Trump to accept said endorsement gracefully.

that is all...

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 02:43:51 am »
no comment.

Here's one. "Trump lies. Here's yet more proof."

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 02:47:32 am »

I truly don't understand those who condemn him for this, nor do I understand some of the Trump supporters who see this as an opportunity to gloat/rub it in the faces of others.   It seems some thrive on conflict and ill-will.

Pretty simple to understand for anyone that actually believes in something. He had one job. To stand on his stated principles. He didn't fail. He sold out.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 03:02:03 am »
Trump is just as big a liar as Hillary and anyone who trusts that he will do anything he promises to do while campaigning after he is in office is a damned fool IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 03:19:51 am »
Doesn't matter to me. My reluctance to support Trump had nothing to do with Cruz's reluctance. Cruz deciding to endorse will not affect me one iota. I would vote for Cruz but his endorsement is like any other political or celebrity endorsement. Means nada.
@starstruck
@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon
@Bigun

This is the second thread I see on here about Cruz endorsing Trump and there may be others.  Cruz chooses for whom he will vote and I determine for whom I will vote.  I won't vote for either presidential candidate and I care not for whom others vote, including Cruz.  There is no reason to argue about this and I read one member after another on this board attacking each other just because Cruz announced he will vote for Trump and why he is doing it.

I don't get this angry fighting back and forth on here.  There is no purpose to it.  You vote for whomever you want, or don't vote for either, and that is that.  I won't see it if the agitating Trumpers post to me as they are on Ignore and that is super fine with me.  Posting facts is one thing, but snipping at each other for voting for "x" or not voting, is ridiculous.  Perhaps writing angry messages to each other, calling people names, is a "high" for some people and they enjoy it.  Sitting with a drink and tapping on the computer keys does not make one a knight with a sword.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:20:34 am by Victoria33 »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 03:35:14 am »
Mostly I agree with that but I see Ted Cruz as a special case.  He is so representative of all the dirty, slimy tactics of Trump -- all the bullying and slander are represented in Cruz.  So he is a special case.  I feel like his endorsement gives power to that sort of tactic.  In the end, Trump's rotten mode of operation beat Cruz down.  I am deeply disappointed.  Cruz could have voted for Trump in silence, never endorsing him.  That would have been true to his own conscience without validating and rewarding Trump's thug methods.

I understand that and sympathize with it but I also know that the pressure on Cruz to do what he did was enormous! More than anyone her can even imagine!

The question that remains is WHY was it so important for them to force Cruz to do that?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 03:36:05 am »
@starstruck
@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon
@Bigun

This is the second thread I see on here about Cruz endorsing Trump and there may be others.  Cruz chooses for whom he will vote and I determine for whom I will vote.  I won't vote for either presidential candidate and I care not for whom others vote, including Cruz.  There is no reason to argue about this and I read one member after another on this board attacking each other just because Cruz announced he will vote for Trump and why he is doing it.

I don't get this angry fighting back and forth on here.  There is no purpose to it.  You vote for whomever you want, or don't vote for either, and that is that.  I won't see it if the agitating Trumpers post to me as they are on Ignore and that is super fine with me.  Posting facts is one thing, but snipping at each other for voting for "x" or not voting, is ridiculous.  Perhaps writing angry messages to each other, calling people names, is a "high" for some people and they enjoy it.  Sitting with a drink and tapping on the computer keys does not make one a knight with a sword.

@Victoria33, I'm not going to lie to you, and besides, you've seen my posts.  Cruz is a disappointment, IMO.  He can't claim the principled road anymore---he'll be laughed out of DC or wherever he is at the time, should he attempt it.  I've been checking twitter today, and his supporters are not happy, to put it very mildly.
I understand that some are okay with what he did, but I'm not one of them.

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 03:39:39 am »
I understand that and sympathize with it but I also know that the pressure on Cruz to do what he did was enormous! More than anyone her can even imagine!

The question that remains is WHY was it so important for them to force Cruz to do that?

@Bigun

Because he was largely viewed as the last principled man in Washington...except maybe for Mike Lee.  He was the leader of the conservative movement.  Trump, vengeful as he is, wanted to destroy him for his own ego gratification, and the GOP has always wanted to neuter him.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 03:41:47 am »
Good question.  I think it is about power.  Trump needs to dominate people in order to feed his over inflated ego.  It does not matter what it means to anyone else.  Trump must conquer people.

I think it's bigger than that! MUCH bigger!  I think the establishment in Washington sees in Trump someone they can roll on a daily basis and that is what they must have!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 03:43:50 am »
I am/was a Cruz supporter...I am not upset with his endorsement today..I think we all knew he was going to do it before the election, it was just a matter of when...we have no idea what went on behind the scenes for Trump to get this endorsement...I am sure some deal was struck.

This is politics and it is not for the feint of heart as they say...this is the least of our worries right now.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 03:51:50 am »

Lots to think about certainly.  My immediate thought was that his support continued to grow even though the media would have us believe otherwise and that needed to end.  I anticipate that Cruz will soon step down and won't seek re-election in 2018.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 04:25:27 am »
@Victoria33, I'm not going to lie to you, and besides, you've seen my posts.  Cruz is a disappointment, IMO.  He can't claim the principled road anymore---he'll be laughed out of DC or wherever he is at the time, should he attempt it.  I've been checking twitter today, and his supporters are not happy, to put it very mildly.
I understand that some are okay with what he did, but I'm not one of them.
@CatherineofAragon

I thought you would be one to throw Cruz under the bus. Every time Cruz made a decision to do "x" in the Senate, he had a good reason although some or most couldn't understand it. His mind is sharper than most people's mind and he knows what he is doing.  I don't second guess what he does because I don't know what his plan is - I just know the plan is the right one and we don't yet know it. 

If he were of normal intelligence I might question what he does, but he is brilliant and thinks on a higher plane than most.  I am giving him freedom in my mind to do what he must to carry out his plan for now and in the future.  Perhaps later when you understand what he is doing, you can drag him out from under the bus.   :patriot:

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 04:31:12 am »
“if he gives it, I will not accept it.”

Well.....everyone was supposed to understand ...and should know (by now)....

that what Trump said was:

1) Just a suggestion,
2) Sarcasm,
3) A joke,
4) Perhaps all of the above, simultaneously.

That's Trump for ya.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline Axel

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 04:33:23 am »
There's a few threads on this, and it is both sad and fascinating that it has actually made things uglier here.

He's in the same boat as many of the rest of us -- faced with a difficult decision to support a guy he does not like, so as to try to prevent someone worse from taking office.  He loves his country, and sees the risk from Hillary -- particularly with regards to the Court -- as something he wishes to oppose as much as possible.  I can understand people not agreeing with that decision, but I truly believe that he made the decision he sees as the most moral.  He judged his personal feelings and emotions about his wife and father to be less important than what he saw as the better course for the country.  And he did it with as much dignity as anyone could.  In a sense, it's a pretty noble sacrifice.

Good for him.

I couldn't agree more. I'm a Trump supporter, but I don't see this as an opportunity to gloat. While I've always felt Cruz would eventually come around, I think its because of exactly the reasons you mentioned. Cruz and Trump both love America, and that's what should unite us all.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election