Author Topic: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump  (Read 127565 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 10:27:22 pm »
What an utterly classless thing to write.

@mystery-ak

That is all they are going to be known for, classlessness.  Just like their prince.

It's 1934 Germany folks.  Just watch.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:01 pm »
What an utterly classless thing to write.

@mystery-ak

Give align a bit of a break...you may not have been here when certain members of the Nevertrump were at their worst. It was very bitter, and what we're seeing in this thread is a microcosm of the healing that's needed among both elements of the party (the Cruz and Trump groups). The truth is, we can never win without each other's support...and we should all be mindful of that moving forward.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline bilo

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:30 pm »
Battle lines being defined. Bush comes out saying he will vote for Hillary Rodham. Cruz comes out with a vote for Trump.

This is the entrenched establishment vs. the rebel upstarts. Old blood against new blood. Time to choose a side like Ted did.

Are you for Trump? Or are you for Hillary? You can stand on the sidelines if you want to, but this is the decision everyone else is making.

Thanks for posting a view I hadn't considered. It takes away some of the disappointment I feel. I've been a strong Sen Cruz supporter for a long time and regularly contributed to his campaigns. I really believed he would stay out of the race and I think he knows he's now done for any future POTUS run. I probably will contribute to him in the future, but right now my answer would be no.

I won't vote for Trump or hillary. I've had my fill of "lesser of two evils". If one of the major parties runs a conservative I'll support and contribute to them, other wise don't count on me.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline aligncare

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:32 pm »

Gee, with such big news today you think we'd be on page 800 by now. But, for some reason only crickets have shown up here in place of NeverTrump. Humph. Or, should that be, tRrump?

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:35 pm »
I respect you Mesa, you're one of the bright and articulate ones, just like the major.

But I'm sick and tired of hearing, well "he's not as bad as Hillary." No no no. Donald Trump is and always has been far superior to Hillary and to the rest of the republican field. I recognized early on Donald Trump's incredible credentials and performance history preparing him for this job as president of the United States.

Donald Trump doesn't have to take a backseat to any of them.
How does anyone say this with a straight face?

Incredible credentials? He has the fewest credentials of literally any candidate ever nominated by a major political party in United States history. (Actually, yeah, if by "incredible," you mean its original meaning of "not credible," then yes, you could say his credentials are incredible.) He's never been elected to office or even served in a Cabinet. He's never served in the military or militia like other non-politician Presidents did. He has zero performance history to speak of, only a record of parlaying his pun-worthy last name and family connections into the appearance of billions of dollars in net worth, most locked in non-liquid real estate and notoriously difficult to measure "brand value."

Only in Cloud Cuckoo Land could anyone truly believe that Donald Trump is even close to the best we could do. Hell, I'd be a better President than Donald Trump if I were of legal age!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline unknown

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2016, 10:31:09 pm »
That is all they are going to be known for, classlessness.  Just like their prince.

I don't see Trump throwing Jews and Christians in the slammer.

Hillary has said she would use the state to do just that, and Obama has been doing it. So, you are right, if Hillary wins, it will happen. Are you planning for that? Desiring that? What exactly is your take on wanting us to be just like 1934 Germany?

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2016, 10:35:11 pm »
Most of us feel the same...but I will add that I detest him but it won't be the first time I've had to vote for a person I hate.
My wife has been badgering me  the whole year because I was vacillating about voting for Trump or a write-in. She is holding me to my promise of always voting for the least worst option, but always voting.  I am now leaning to voting for Trump, but the idea of voting for this skunk makes me shudder.

Offline bilo

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 10:35:15 pm »
Align, you are not wrong...we all witnessed the lynch mob mentality and the "shouting down" that Trump voters faced here. But now is the time to follow Cruz's lead and try to welcome people...acknowledging that they had MANY justified concerns about Mr. Trump. Heck, I'm a clear supporter of him and I still have reservations...it just has taken time for some to accept that Trump with his many warts is a far better option than Clinton. Let me add that the Major, in all my interactions with him, was fair and reasonable.

Does this mean that Trump is all of a sudden develop character?

He is a low life. If you want to throw your support to a low life because his opponent is even more of a low life that's your choice. I'm not drinking the kool aid. Whe a person of character and conservative values runs I'll support them. No more "lesser of two evils".

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2016, 10:36:17 pm »
As a Trump guy, I'm fine with that deal. Though I never seriously doubted he'd pick form the list anyway...also...he added Lee to the list at Cruz's request, and that's a good thing as well.
agree on both counts, mesa
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 10:37:44 pm »

Now THAT is a classless thing to say. Worse, it shows a complete failure to understand history and how its lessons are relevant to the modern American political venue. Mr Trump is calling for a society that is ethnically and racially neutral...color blind in a sense...in which individual merit is the only discriminator. He wants to reduce taxation on corporations from 35 down to 15 percent...a huge reduction in governmental interference in the free market. He has virtually nothing in common with any element in 1934 Germany...nor does our current economic, social, and political situation bear even a remote commonality with the Germany of that era.

You could make a better comparison to late Republican Rome...in which wealthy and powerful individuals rose to near absolute power by promising to restore order and traditional values vs land reformers like the Grachii. But even that borders on the absurd is a direct analogy...while still be far more apt than silly references to 1934 Germany. Honestly, read a book.

Offline unknown

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2016, 10:38:26 pm »
My wife has been badgering me  the whole year because I was vacillating about voting for Trump or a write-in. She is holding me to my promise of always voting for the least worst option, but always voting.  I am now leaning to voting for Trump, but the idea of voting for this skunk makes me shudder.

That is where I am. I am going to vote for the skunk. This year, as Cruz points out, is a very unique election year. So, skunk it is.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »
How does anyone say this with a straight face?

Incredible credentials? He has the fewest credentials of literally any candidate ever nominated by a major political party in United States history. (Actually, yeah, if by "incredible," you mean its original meaning of "not credible," then yes, you could say his credentials are incredible.) He's never been elected to office or even served in a Cabinet. He's never served in the military or militia like other non-politician Presidents did. He has zero performance history to speak of, only a record of parlaying his pun-worthy last name and family connections into the appearance of billions of dollars in net worth, most locked in non-liquid real estate and notoriously difficult to measure "brand value."

Only in Cloud Cuckoo Land could anyone truly believe that Donald Trump is even close to the best we could do. Hell, I'd be a better President than Donald Trump if I were of legal age!
I would be proud to vote for you sir, but one correction......the loudmouth  drunk at the end of the bar would  make a better candidate than Trump. Which is what Trump resembles most.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2016, 10:41:16 pm »

How classy of you to compare us to Nazi's

Are you going to tell this guy to knock it off Nancy. No you won't do that, will you?  You'll ban Donald Trump supporters (A-lert among others), you'll suspend them for 24 hours when they respond to attacks (me).

But you wouldn't want to upset the Cruzers, now, would you?

Offline bilo

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2016, 10:46:37 pm »

My wife and I have also had some discussions this year. She has come around though and will not vote for Trump. I think we will vote Constitution Party this year.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2016, 10:47:30 pm »
I don't see Trump throwing Jews and Christians in the slammer.

Hillary has said she would use the state to do just that, and Obama has been doing it. So, you are right, if Hillary wins, it will happen. Are you planning for that? Desiring that? What exactly is your take on wanting us to be just like 1934 Germany?

Nah he just lets them rot there in deference to the liberal dems and gay lobby.

Offline Truthsearcher

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:13 pm »
Most of us feel the same...but I will add that I detest him but it won't be the first time I've had to vote for a person I hate.

I would go so far to say I hate Trump, I am very weary of him, however.   But he is still well above where I'd place Hillary.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:21 pm »
How classy of you to compare us to Nazi's

Are you going to tell this guy to knock it off Nancy. No you won't do that, will you?  You'll ban Donald Trump supporters (A-lert among others), you'll suspend them for 24 hours when they respond to attacks (me).

But you wouldn't want to upset the Cruzers, now, would you?

Dont act like a Brownshirt and you won't have that problem.

Offline unknown

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2016, 10:50:11 pm »
Nah he just lets them rot there in deference to the liberal dems and gay lobby.

Ok, and what do you propose that he do? Be specific now, no arm waving and generalities.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:06 pm »
Does this mean that Trump is all of a sudden develop character?

He is a low life. If you want to throw your support to a low life because his opponent is even more of a low life that's your choice. I'm not drinking the kool aid. Whe a person of character and conservative values runs I'll support them. No more "lesser of two evils".

I'm throwing my support to the man who will stop the Obama/Hillary train...the only one who now can do that. I am also throwing my support behind a man who I believe DOES have character and DOES support conservatism (no, he's not as conservative as I'd like, but in comparison to Hillary he's a raging reactionary...and that matters in terms of the health of the nation). I see his flaws, I understand he is a bit of a blowhard and has an unhealthy arrogance about him...if we had a candidate without flaws I'd be glad to vote for him instead. EVERY vote we cast is a vote for a lesser evil...because no one man is either "perfect" or "perfectly aligned" with our views on every issue. So the lesser evil argument is a canard.

What we are doing is voting for one of the two candidates in this race (and there are no other candidates that matter)...and choosing the one that will be better for the nation as we move forward. That is, in my opinion, Donald Trump. Nobody is telling you what your opinion should be...but on a discussion board, we are certainly going to give you our view of what the consequences of your actions are likely to be.

Offline unknown

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2016, 10:54:22 pm »
Bullies Win!  Wimps Lose!

Bow and kiss the T-rump ring.

Butt hurt much?

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2016, 10:54:31 pm »
Exactly.  And Republicans will not fight Trump.  They would at least potentially fight Hillary.  A traitor does more damage than an outside enemy, especially one in a position of authority who rules with an iron/abusive fist.

So you guys are reduced to terms like "traitor" and using Nazi analogies. Are you surprised your arguments lack the ability to persuade...or even to make you seem like a "reasonable" opposition?

Offline bilo

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2016, 10:55:14 pm »
That is where I am. I am going to vote for the skunk. This year, as Cruz points out, is a very unique election year. So, skunk it is.

I disagree. It seems like it, but the turning point was probably 2012. Regardless of who wins obamacare will be replaced with a national healthcare program run under medicaid. Insurance companies will support this because they will keep their group plans and the more expensive individual plans will be laid off on the govt, just like what they did with Medicare and seniors.

If Trump wins the Pubs will fall in line and do whatever he wants even if it is the opposite of what they claim to believe in. If hillary wins they at least would gain some support from fighting her. The argument about the courts really is much ado about nothing. The SCOTUs has a majority of judges nominated by Pubs and it validated obamacare. They are no better than a bucket of warm spit.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2016, 10:55:40 pm »
Give align a bit of a break...you may not have been here when certain members of the Nevertrump were at their worst. It was very bitter, and what we're seeing in this thread is a microcosm of the healing that's needed among both elements of the party (the Cruz and Trump groups). The truth is, we can never win without each other's support...and we should all be mindful of that moving forward.

Good post ... and good to see you @Mescalone   :beer:

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2016, 10:56:49 pm »
Bullies Win!  Wimps Lose!

Bow and kiss the T-rump ring.

The irony of you calling others Bullies. Rich.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2016, 10:56:51 pm »
Exactly.  And Republicans will not fight Trump.  They would at least potentially fight Hillary.  A traitor does more damage than an outside enemy.

I'm actually not worried about it long term. Short term, it's over. I have long believed we were going to crash because history is what it is. the important thing is to keep the light of actual conservatism and constitutional governance alive so that when the trump and and their official dem cohorts drive the final nails in, our kids will have something to rebuild with after the destroyers are gone.

the day after Ronmey threw the election i predicted and sent an email to a few people doing the post mortem on the election. in it, i predicted that this election would see a mass exodus to the left by so called conservatives because there weren't enough good people left in America to fill Yankee stadium.

I stand wholly vindicated. Catherine? How's my statue coming along?
@CatherineofAragon