Author Topic: Ted Cruz Warns Democrats Could Have ‘Massive Wins’ in Texas  (Read 10068 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Ted Cruz Warns Democrats Could Have ‘Massive Wins’ in Texas
« on: September 18, 2016, 12:51:43 pm »
Ted Cruz Warns Democrats Could Have ‘Massive Wins’ in Texas
Breitbart, 9/17/2016, LANA SHADWICK

Senator Ted Cruz warned patriots gathered for a Constitution Day gathering that Democrats could have “massive wins” in the large urban counties in Texas “if one, two, or three percent stay home.” Cruz also called Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton “manifestly unfit” to be president.

“It would not take that many to have an enormous impact on this election,” he said. He warned of the effect that staying home would have on judicial, Texas state representative and senate races, and other races in down-ballot elections.

The Texas senator and former GOP presidential candidate also cautioned about the impact outside of Texas saying the U.S. Senate was “hanging by a thread.” Cruz said, “Whatever happens, we need a check of a Republican Senate to check the executive and protect our liberty.” He created quite a reaction from the crowd, including loud Boos, when he raised the possibility of “Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.” Cruz urged everyone to come out and “defend the Constitution of the United States.”

When speaking of the race for president, he noted that three of the justices on the U.S. Supreme Court are quite advanced in years and the next president will have the opportunity to select the justices to replace them. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 83-years-old, Justice Anthony Kennedy is 80, and Justice Stephen Breyer is 78-years-old.

Senator Cruz said that the Second Amendment, free speech, state’s rights, individual liberty, and U.S. sovereignty, hangs in the balance because of the presidential judicial appointment power. Other countries “are buying our nation” and want to take away our freedoms, he said. “Hillary Clinton is manifestly unfit to represent the United States,” he charged, and he delighted the crowd when he added, “I have some government housing in mind for her, but it’s a little smaller and has fewer windows.”

Read more:
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/09/17/ted-cruz-warns-democrats-massive-wins-texas/

Offline Longmire

Re: Ted Cruz Warns Democrats Could Have ‘Massive Wins’ in Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 01:25:46 pm »
Sen. Cruz, any comment on your former campaign chairman going to work for the Trump campaign?  :shrug:

Offline beandog

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:09 pm »
Sen. Cruz, any comment on your former campaign chairman going to work for the Trump campaign?  :shrug:

Some people will do anything for the almighty dollary. ****sheep****

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »
Senator Ted Cruz warned patriots gathered for a Constitution Day gathering that Democrats could have “massive wins” in the large urban counties in Texas “if one, two, or three percent stay home.” Cruz also called Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton “manifestly unfit” to be president.

Could the Senator be feeling political vulnerability for his decree?   I bet he's wishing he had just skipped the convention.   ^-^

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 03:11:11 pm »
Could the Senator be feeling political vulnerability for his decree?   I bet he's wishing he had just skipped the convention.   ^-^

Only in the fevered mind of a Trump cultist would an appeal to conscious be considered outrageously controversial. Your liege must have his revenge.

Thank God Cruz'll be around for years - we need at least one voice in Washington.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:17:24 pm by skeeter »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:24:41 pm »

You're reduced to grasping at straws, RIV.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 03:26:04 pm »

People need jobs to pay their bills.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:26:28 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 03:36:04 pm »
You're reduced to grasping at straws, RIV.

Nice spin @Sanguine.  But a Trump loss will splatter all over Rafael's political career.  He knows it, I know it, and now you know it, too.

Welcome to the real world.   888high58888

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 03:39:20 pm »
Nice spin @Sanguine.  But a Trump loss will splatter all over Rafael's political career.  He knows it, I know it, and now you know it, too.

You sound pretty convinced, aren't you? So who knocks Ted out of his seat, assuming he wants to run for reelection.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »
At the convention, Ted Cruz begged the conservatives not to stay home.  Hopefully, they will heed his call.  Otherwise, Schumer-Pelosi will serve up one stinker after another for a NY authoritarian to sign into law.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 03:47:16 pm »
Sounds like he's making an end-around endorsement of Trump? Am I reading this wrong?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 03:53:21 pm »
Sounds like he's making an end-around endorsement of Trump? Am I reading this wrong?

Ted said "vote your conscience." He's elaborated on that by saying Hillary must be defeated. That's given a bit more wiggle room to Levin, the Limbaughs, and thousands more.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 03:57:52 pm »
At the convention, Ted Cruz begged the conservatives not to stay home.  Hopefully, they will heed his call.  Otherwise, Schumer-Pelosi will serve up one stinker after another for a NY authoritarian to sign into law.

I've seen it written many times that a Hillary win would unite conservatives better than a Trump win. That's probably true but there is a danger in assuming that by then letting Hillary win, the country will be able to see the folly of her progressive ideology and rush to the conservatives. That assumption was made in 2008 by some and BHO got re elected in 2012 anyways.

OTOH, as we saw during the GWB era pre 2006 election, it will be harder for Republicans in Congress to oppose their own president. Carter got in many budget battles with the Tip O'Neils in his own party and it was another cause of many that brought his presidency down. I don't doubt that some GOP House members will oppose Trump's attempts to expand the size and scope of the federal government. But will there be enough of them and how much pressure will they get from party bosses to cave?

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »
You sound pretty convinced, aren't you? So who knocks Ted out of his seat, assuming he wants to run for reelection.

He may keep his Senate seat.  In fact, he could go on to be he next Jesse Helms.  Bless his heart.   ^-^

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 04:02:36 pm »
I've seen it written many times that a Hillary win would unite conservatives better than a Trump win. That's probably true but there is a danger in assuming that by then letting Hillary win, the country will be able to see the folly of her progressive ideology and rush to the conservatives. That assumption was made in 2008 by some and BHO got re elected in 2012 anyways.

OTOH, as we saw during the GWB era pre 2006 election, it will be harder for Republicans in Congress to oppose their own president. Carter got in many budget battles with the Tip O'Neils in his own party and it was another cause of many that brought his presidency down. I don't doubt that some GOP House members will oppose Trump's attempts to expand the size and scope of the federal government. But will there be enough of them and how much pressure will they get from party bosses to cave?

Obama's judicial appointments will haunt the country for years. Hillary's won't be any better, and I believe will tip the scales of the USSC to the left, maybe permanently.

If that doesn't scare you it should.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 04:12:27 pm »
Ted said "vote your conscience." He's elaborated on that by saying Hillary must be defeated. That's given a bit more wiggle room to Levin, the Limbaughs, and thousands more.

Agree. Hitlery must be defeated. The blatant corruption of the entire national government is on full display and allowed to stand. She would accelerate the death of the Republic which is on life support as it is.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »
Obama's judicial appointments will haunt the country for years. Hillary's won't be any better, and I believe will tip the scales of the USSC to the left, maybe permanently.

If that doesn't scare you it should.

This is the conflict conservatives are having this election. Neither Trump's nor Hillary's brand of statism is good for the country.

We have nothing but Trump's word that he would appoint conservative judges. We all know how valuable his word is, but for now, that's all we got and no one can say with certainty at this point he's being dishonest. I have no doubt the kind of justices Hillary will appoint, however

But whether one is a committed NeverTrumper, a Soft or Reluctant NeverTrumper, a ReluctantTrumper, or a committed Trumper, it is vital that conservatives follow what Cruz said at the convention and vote down ticket candidates that are committed to Constitutional, Conservative principles

I think we will all be in agreement here that, regardless of what one thinks of Trump, the House and Senate cannot and must not go Democrat
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:18:21 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 04:18:48 pm »

Why on earth would you want that, @Right_in_Virginia?  You want to destroy one of the few conservatives in Congress?  Why?

Oh, and as for "spin" that word doesn't mean what you seem to feel it means.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:21:25 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Axel

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 04:27:20 pm »
This is the conflict conservatives are having this election. Neither Trump's nor Hillary's brand of statism is good for the country.

We have nothing but Trump's word that he would appoint conservative judges. We all know how valuable his word is, but for now, that's all we got and no one can say with certainty at this point he's being dishonest. I have no doubt the kind of justices Hillary will appoint, however

But whether one is a committed NeverTrumper, a Soft or Reluctant NeverTrumper, a ReluctantTrumper, or a committed Trumper, it is vital that conservatives follow what Cruz said at the convention and vote down ticket candidates that are committed to Constitutional, Conservative principles

I think we will all be in agreement here that, regardless of what one thinks of Trump, the House and Senate cannot and must not go Democrat

I'm sure what more Trump can do. All campaigns are "just words" until the President has an opportunity to follow through (or not). What I don't get is this notion that Trump is "destroying conservatism" while at the same time he's expanding the electoral map. We have states in play that haven't been in my life time. If he just rubber stamps everything the (hopefully) GOP senate and house passes, we're already far better off than if Hillary Clinton takes office.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline Axel

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 04:30:24 pm »
Why on earth would you want that, @Right_in_Virginia?  You want to destroy one of the few conservatives in Congress?  Why?

Oh, and as for "spin" that word doesn't mean what you seem to feel it means.

Probably the same reason you and many others dislike Trump. Cruz has a massive ego (like all politicians) and cannot bring himself to openly endorsing Trump as next POTUS. I believe the word frequently used to describe Trump... petty.... applies here. This is way bigger than you, Ted.

FWIW, I'm happy to have Cruz advocating for the constitution in the Senate and would hate to see him politically ruined. But if it happens, its of his own doing.

"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:10 pm »
Probably the same reason you and many others dislike Trump. Cruz has a massive ego (like all politicians) and cannot bring himself to openly endorsing Trump as next POTUS. I believe the word frequently used to describe Trump... petty.... applies here. This is way bigger than you, Ted.

FWIW, I'm happy to have Cruz advocating for the constitution in the Senate and would hate to see him politically ruined. But if it happens, its of his own doing.

You seem to be addressing some comment other than mine, @Axel, or you are answering with talking points that don't relate to my question. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:28 pm »

You hope.  Likely it will not.  Cruz is going to win reelection in 2018 and will be viable in 2018 against Hillary.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 04:34:29 pm »

I don't @Sanguine 

Ted Cruz made a cold, hard political calculation in not supporting Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for POTUS, at the RNC Convention, in prime time.   He chose it, he owns it.  His calculation says he will live politially larger because of it, the political reality says the opposite. 

So, if you want to know about the political destruction of one of the few conservatives in Congress, you'll need to ask Ted Cruz.  All his wounds resulting from his (mis)calculation are self-inflicted. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 04:41:18 pm »
I'm sure what more Trump can do. All campaigns are "just words" until the President has an opportunity to follow through (or not). What I don't get is this notion that Trump is "destroying conservatism" while at the same time he's expanding the electoral map. We have states in play that haven't been in my life time. If he just rubber stamps everything the (hopefully) GOP senate and house passes, we're already far better off than if Hillary Clinton takes office.

But you know he won't do that.  Trump's already pushing a brand new entitlement and will put his Democrat daughter in charge of that effort.  He is intently anti-1st amendment when it comes to the press.  He wants to allow the military to murder the families of terrorists and to go beyond waterboarding when interrogating suspects.

Richard Nixon won in 1968, partly by advocating he'd appoint better SC justices, then promptly nominated William Brennan, the author of Roe v. Wade.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 04:48:23 pm »
I don't @Sanguine 

Ted Cruz made a cold, hard political calculation in not supporting Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for POTUS, at the RNC Convention, in prime time.   He chose it, he owns it.  His calculation says he will live politially larger because of it, the political reality says the opposite. 

So, if you want to know about the political destruction of one of the few conservatives in Congress, you'll need to ask Ted Cruz.  All his wounds resulting from his (mis)calculation are self-inflicted.

Thanks for answering.  You have made the divide very clear. 

If Cruz were making calculations based on his furthering his political future, he would have jumped on the Trump bandwagon as have so many others. But, sometimes people act out of courage and with integrity, even if in doing so they are perceived badly by those who want them to "get with the program" and "take one for the team". 

Your answer however is all about "calculation" and "political reality".

So - it comes down to politics vs being a good, upright person.