Author Topic: The Disgusting Breitbart Smear Campaign Against the Immigrant Owner of Chobani  (Read 4386 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/02/the-disgusting-breitbart-smear-campaign-against-the-immigrant-owner-of-chobani.html

The Disgusting Breitbart Smear Campaign Against the Immigrant Owner of Chobani

Chobani yogurt head Hamdi Ulukaya is a wildly successful capitalist. So what did he do wrong, by alt-right standards? He hires Muslim refugees.

JAMES KIRCHICK

09.02.16 12:13 AM ET

Hamdi Ulukaya is the model American immigrant success story.

In 2005, the Turkish-born Kurdish entrepreneur purchased a defunct Kraft foods plant in upstate New York with an $800,000 loan from the Small Business Administration. In just a few years, his Chobani yogurt went from selling a few containers at a Long Island kosher grocery to being the No. 1 selling yogurt brand in the country with annual revenue topping $1.5 billion. In addition to employing more than 2,000 people directly—all of whom earn above minimum wage and enjoy generous benefits—the company purchases 4 million pounds of milk from American farmers every day.

Ulukaya dotes on his employees like a parent. “To me, there are two kinds of people in this world,” he told The New York Times. “The people who work at Chobani and the people who don’t.” Earlier this year, he gave shares amounting to 10 percent of Chobani to his workers; a rare move for a CEO to make after the value of his highly profitable company has been established. Chobani is also a corporate sponsor of the U.S. Olympic Team. Not bad for a Turkish guy selling Greek yogurt—that in itself a subtle rebuke to centuries of enmity between the two countries.

In addition to earning a raft of honorary Ph.Ds., Ulukaya has been named a World Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young, is the recipient of the United Nations Global Leadership Award, and has committed himself to Warren Buffett’s “Giving Pledge,” promising to donate at least half of his wealth to charity. To that end, Ulukaya founded an organization called Tent, which assists refugees in achieving new lives. Ulukaya, who grew up in a town near the Syrian border, says he was inspired in his activism by the plight of the some 2 million Syrians now living in Turkish refugee camps.

And that’s where the nativist forces supporting Donald Trump’s presidential campaign enter the picture. In 2012, Chobani opened the world’s biggest yogurt plant, in Twin Falls, Idaho. In addition to being one of the country’s largest milk-producing states, Idaho also happens to be one of the five highest refugee-absorbing states per capita, due to its low cost of living and 3.9 percent unemployment rate. About 30 percent of Chobani’s Twin Falls work force is composed of refugees, a hiring practice that originated with the company’s first factory in upstate New York, where many members of the community had been resettled from places like Vietnam, Burma, and Nepal. Ulukaya has written of the “growing need for the private sector to step up and help use its innovation, voice, and resources to address the global forced migration crisis,” and hiring refugees to work in Chobani’s factories has been his way of putting his money where his mouth is.

For his humanitarianism and thinking outside the traditional corporate box, Ulukaya now stands at the center of a vicious smear campaign. Earlier this year, in a piece originally headlined “American Yogurt Tycoon Vows to Choke U.S. With Muslims,” a writer for the far-right conspiracy-mongering website World Net Daily falsely claimed that refugees were being sent to Twin Falls specifically for the purpose of working at the Chobani plant and that Ulukaya was “call[ing] on [the] biggest American companies to join [an] Islamic surge.” (That line was later removed from the piece, as was the headline, since changed to the slightly less inflammatory “U.S. Yogurt Billionaire Asks Businesses to Hire More Foreign Refugees.”) The allegations have since migrated to the similarly paranoid precincts of Breitbart.com, the “alt-right” repository of white nationalism and xenophobia whose former executive chairman, Steve Bannon, recently merged seamlessly into the Trump campaign as its CEO. At Breitbart, the story of Chobani’s refugee employees has taken on new life as the centerpiece of a broader intrigue. For the past month, Breitbart reporter Lee Stranahan has been filing dispatch after dispatch from the Idaho town alleging a nexus of disease, rape, and jihad—all with Chobani and Ulukaya at its center.

In breathless tones, Stranahan, who according to his Twitter bio recently relocated to Twin Falls, attacks Ulukaya as a “globalist corporatist,” two epithets that, in the newfangled dialect of Breitbartian-Trumpian nationalism, signify one’s dubious, non-American loyalties. According to Stranahan, Idaho has “been a popular destination for refugees in recent years… in large part due to Ulukaya’s efforts to import refugees to work in his yogurt factory,” Ulukaya is himself “a figure of controversy for his decision to fill his yogurt plants with foreign refugees rather than unemployed Americans,” and refugee resettlement in Twin Falls is “a situation connected to the drive for cheap labor by the local food processing industry that Chobani is a major part of.”

But Idaho’s status as a destination for refugees dates back to the arrival of Vietnamese boat people in the late 1970s, long before the Chobani plant broke ground in 2011. Since then, the state has welcomed about 30,000 refugees from more than 50 countries. Falsely accusing Chobani and its CEO of “importing” foreign labor conflates a long-standing federal refugee resettlement program with the relatively recent hiring decisions of a private company.

This isn’t Breitbart’s only conflation with respect to the yogurt plant. Another story, under the non sequitur headline “TB spiked 500 percent in Twin Falls during 2012, as Chobani Yogurt Opened Plant,” insinuates that the company is somehow responsible for a tuberculosis epidemic in the Idaho hamlet. Never mind that the increase in TB cases exclusively ascribed to Twin Falls actually occurred across an eight-county public health district; there exists no evidence that any of the TB cases in Twin Falls were Chobani employees, or even refugees, for that matter. Furthermore, the “500 percent” “spike” consists of an increase from one case in 2011 to six in 2012, back down to a single case last year.

The most sensational component of Breitbart’s “special report” concerns an inappropriate sexual encounter, misleadingly labeled a “gang rape,” involving three refugee minors and a 5-year-old Twin Falls girl in June. Local anti-Muslim activists seized upon the incident, which is under investigation by authorities, and launched a campaign to discredit the entire refugee resettlement program, which Stranahan ominously labels “Idaho’s Globalist Devil’s Bargain.” Last month, a white nationalist organization called the American Freedom Party issued robocalls across Idaho informing listeners that the “nonwhite invasion of their state and all white areas constitutes white genocide.” (This is the same racist outfit that endorsed Trump, calling him the “Great White Hope,” and paid for robocalls on his behalf in the run-up to the Iowa caucuses.)

In a piece headlined “Twin Falls Refugee Rape Special Report: Why are the Refugees Moving In?” Stranahan writes that the use of refugee labor by Chobani and other food companies in southern Idaho has led to unspecified “civic consequences,” the insinuation being that these businesses are somehow responsible for the June incident and that the entire refugee resettlement program should be scrapped on account of the behavior of three refugee children.

Given how much Trump and Breitbart bemoan the loss of manufacturing to overseas competition and extol America’s rural values, one might have expected the populist website to applaud Chobani’s employing thousands of Americans in well-paid jobs and support for the country’s agricultural sector. “This has been a shot in the arm,” the head of a Twin Falls paving company said back in 2011, when Chobani broke ground on its plant.

“The kind of success that Chobani is experiencing in the Magic Valley is setting a great example of regional collaboration between employers and community leaders throughout Idaho,” Republican Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter enthused earlier this year, after the company announced a $100 million expansion to build a global research and development center in Twin Falls. “And it has economic development leaders all over America standing up and taking notice of what Idaho has to offer.”

Ultimately, however, the unfounded and hysterical attacks on Chobani, its employees, and its visionary founder are a perfect distillation of Breitbart and the presidential campaign onto which it has so shamelessly hitched itself. A toxic mix of lies, innuendo, xenophobia, and resentment, these screeds exemplify a zero-sum worldview in which gains made by the foreign-born must, somehow, come at the expense of “real” Americans, who, by the way, don’t need your stinking, healthy, low-sugar, gluten-free, kosher, halal, foreign yogurt.

Hamdi Ulukaya’s business ethics—fair, compassionate, cosmopolitan—are a direct repudiation of Donald Trump’s cutthroat, selfish, racist greed. And perhaps that’s what grates Breitbart most about this green card-holding, tax-paying Turkish immigrant and the business he built from scratch. For at its heart, the Trump phenomenon is a revolt of the thuggishly second-rate, a collection of mediocrities and opportunists for whom dragging down their betters provides a fillip to wallowing alone in self-pity.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:58:56 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Trumpbart is the toilet bowl of racist journalism.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
It is apparently an alt-right tacit to pick Idaho as their target for smear.

Remember the giant Chinese city in the desert south of Boise. {It was a taxing thing not cities no walls no invading China men hiding in Kuna}
Or the Syrian refugees that stabbed gang raped and murdered a girl in Twin. {Wasn't stabbed, wasn't rape, wasn't murder, the suspects weren't from Syria, and the police apprehended them.}

Why pick on Idaho? **nononono*
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
It is apparently an alt-right tacit to pick Idaho as their target for smear.

Remember the giant Chinese city in the desert south of Boise. {It was a taxing thing not cities no walls no invading China men hiding in Kuna}
Or the Syrian refugees that stabbed gang raped and murdered a girl in Twin. {Wasn't stabbed, wasn't rape, wasn't murder, the suspects weren't from Syria, and the police apprehended them.}

Why pick on Idaho? **nononono*

Kinda like the idiots who post pictures of a middle eastern bazaar on dirt streets and declare it to be Dearborn Michigan. The reality is that Dearborn is a modern middle to upper middle class city and home to HQs of such companies as Ford, Lear, and Visteon. There are definitely issues to be addressed there but lying about them in  an attempt to inspire panic is self defeating in the long run.

Those are the people who cry about that "Muslim writing" on the buildings in Dearborn while ignoring the fact that many of those buildings are churches full of middle eastern Christians.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Donny....You are a vedy vedy vedy vedy vedy bad man!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:25:04 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline CSM

Kinda like the idiots who post pictures of a middle eastern bazaar on dirt streets and declare it to be Dearborn Michigan. The reality is that Dearborn is a modern middle to upper middle class city and home to HQs of such companies as Ford, Lear, and Visteon. There are definitely issues to be addressed there but lying about them in  an attempt to inspire panic is self defeating in the long run.

Those are the people who cry about that "Muslim writing" on the buildings in Dearborn while ignoring the fact that many of those buildings are churches full of middle eastern Christians.

Thank you for your support of my home!

Offline Cripplecreek

Thank you for your support of my home!

Dearborn is safer than inner city Detroit by about a million miles. I think its right on par with the national average which is low for an urban area.

Last time I was over that way I didn't see any goats being herded down any dirt streets.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Did you ever see that film of the muslim people of Dearborn pelting those christian protesters at a festival?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

Did you ever see that film of the muslim people of Dearborn pelting those christian protesters at a festival?

Yes I saw it and I know that local middle eastern Christians weren't overjoyed with outsiders coming into their neighborhood and stirring up trouble while they were trying to enjoy the festival.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline Axel

I'm addicted to Chobani yogurt, so I'm going to conveniently ignore the allegations against them.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Just because I am being told I'm supposed to hate Chobani, tonight I think I'll buy some when I head to the store later.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:23:42 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm addicted to Chobani yogurt, so I'm going to conveniently ignore the allegations against them.

Greek Gods Yogurt is so much better.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Greek Gods Yogurt is so much better.
http://maplehillcreamery.com/
If you can find it Maple Hill Creamery makes the best yogurt. Love the drinkable stuff on fruit. Grass fed really adds a lot more flavor and it's better for you and the cows.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

HonestJohn

This was a good example of Trump and his ideological buddies.

And how easy it is to lead people with propaganda, in this case.. the alt-right propaganda from Breitbart steering Trump supporters and conservatives in general.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:47:35 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Just because I am being told I'm supposed to hate Chobani, tonight I think I'll buy some when I head to the store later.
I found Chobani to be kind of dry and pasty compared to the sweeter store-brand Greek yogurt.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline rodamala

Quote from: sinkspur
Hamdi Ulukaya’s business ethics—fair, compassionate, cosmopolitan—are a direct repudiation of Donald Trump’s cutthroat, selfish, racist greed.
... here is yet another write-in candidate better than Trump.

Offline Bunny Watson

I found Chobani to be kind of dry and pasty compared to the sweeter store-brand Greek yogurt.

I cannot stand the smell of Chobani, it reeks. I can't even get to the taste because the smell is so abominable. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I am confident the voters of Idaho would prove they don't need or want muslim refugees.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

I am confident the voters of Idaho would prove they don't need or want muslim refugees.

And I'm sure Chobani can do without places with a small labor pool.  Fortunately, everything worked out well for the community and company and economy.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Idaho: Muslim migrants hold knife to throat of little girl, rape her, urinate on her

Now what we have been seeing in Europe is coming to the United States, courtesy of Obama’s policies regarding Muslim migrants.

The seizure of Infidel girls and their use as sex slaves is sanctioned in the Qur’an. According to Islamic law, Muslim men can take “captives of the right hand” (Qur’an 4:3, 4:24, 33:50). The Qur’an says: “O Prophet! Lo! We have made lawful to you your wives to whom you have paid their dowries, and those whom your right hand possesses of those whom Allah has given you as spoils of war” (33:50). 4:3 and 4:24 extend this privilege to Muslim men in general. The Qur’an says that a man may have sex with his wives and with these slave girls: “The believers must win through, those who humble themselves in their prayers; who avoid vain talk; who are active in deeds of charity; who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or whom their right hands possess, for they are free from blame.” (Qur’an 23:1-6)

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/06/idaho-muslim-migrants-hold-knife-to-throat-of-little-girl-rape-her-urinate-on-her
3 Muslim refugees rape and sodomize 5-year old American girl in Idaho. Naturally the vile and cucked beyond hope MSM ignores the case.
Submitted by IWB, on August 28th, 2016

TWIN FALLS, IDAHO – In a shocking and exclusive interview with Breitbart News, the father of a five-year-old girl that was allegedly raped by refugee children reveals that he watched 30 seconds of a video of the assault taken by one of the three boys charged with the crime. The father also revealed that the parents of the refugee children had urged him not to call the police when he first learned of the attack.

Additionally, new allegations against a ten-year-old boy who was involved in the June 2 attack were revealed in court on Thursday afternoon, alleging the boy both anally and orally penetrated the five-year-old, in addition to urinating on her, as revealed by the father in the clip below. Previously, it had only been known that a seven-year-old boy had orally penetrated the girl and urinated on her.

The little girl’s parents, concerned about biased media coverage as well as their own personal safety and that of their daughter, have not been interviewed on videotape until this Thursday’s interview with Breitbart News….

http://investmentwatchblog.com/3-muslim-refugees-rape-and-sodomize-5-year-old-american-girl-in-idaho-naturally-the-vile-and-cucked-beyond-hope-msm-ignores-the-case/

Shame on Breitbart. What threat do these refugees hold?
 888ohnoes

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/06/cops-media-hide-idaho-girls-sex-assault-by-muslim-migrants

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:17:23 pm by TomSea »

geronl

Yes I saw it and I know that local middle eastern Christians weren't overjoyed with outsiders coming into their neighborhood and stirring up trouble while they were trying to enjoy the festival.

neighborhood jihad

I guess tourism to Muslim 'hoods will get you stitches these days

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Shame on Breitbart. What threat do these refugees hold?
 888ohnoes

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/06/cops-media-hide-idaho-girls-sex-assault-by-muslim-migrants
As mentioned in my earlier post these reports were wrong on almost all counts.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article84829787.html

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
As mentioned in my earlier post these reports were wrong on almost all counts.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article84829787.html
From the article, which corrects mistakes.

"An incident did occur, Loebs said, and two juveniles have been charged after authorities obtained video shot on a cellphone. But the details of the case don’t match what’s being reported by anti-refugee groups, the prosecutor said.

The criminal cases against those juveniles have been sealed, as is customary when children are charged. Although prosecutors and police are barred from discussing certain details in sealed juvenile cases, Loebs laid out the basics in an interview Monday with the Times-News. And Twin Falls Police Chief Craig Kingsbury briefed the public on the incident at a City Council meeting later in the evening, saying he wanted to clear up falsehoods circulating on social media.

According to those officials, three boys were involved, ages 7, 10 and 14, and the alleged victim was a 5-year-old girl. The boys are from Sudan and Iraq; none are Syrian. They are being held at a juvenile detention facility. Officials suspect the boys have been in the Uniteds States fewer than two years, but their refugee status wasn’t immediately clear to the police chief.

There were no adults involved, Loebs said, the boys didn’t have a knife, and the incident wasn’t a “gang-rape” instigated by the oldest boy."

The substantive meaning is not changed. Muslim immigrants raped a 5 year old in Idaho. To say otherwise is Clintonesque word parsing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

From the article, which corrects mistakes.

"An incident did occur, Loebs said, and two juveniles have been charged after authorities obtained video shot on a cellphone. But the details of the case don’t match what’s being reported by anti-refugee groups, the prosecutor said.

The criminal cases against those juveniles have been sealed, as is customary when children are charged. Although prosecutors and police are barred from discussing certain details in sealed juvenile cases, Loebs laid out the basics in an interview Monday with the Times-News. And Twin Falls Police Chief Craig Kingsbury briefed the public on the incident at a City Council meeting later in the evening, saying he wanted to clear up falsehoods circulating on social media.

According to those officials, three boys were involved, ages 7, 10 and 14, and the alleged victim was a 5-year-old girl. The boys are from Sudan and Iraq; none are Syrian. They are being held at a juvenile detention facility. Officials suspect the boys have been in the Uniteds States fewer than two years, but their refugee status wasn’t immediately clear to the police chief.

There were no adults involved, Loebs said, the boys didn’t have a knife, and the incident wasn’t a “gang-rape” instigated by the oldest boy."

The substantive meaning is not changed. Muslim immigrants raped a 5 year old in Idaho. To say otherwise is Clintonesque word parsing.
Are you capable of reading what you posted??  :thud:

Don't get me wrong here folks. I don't want American anywhere to become home to a Syrian refugee women and children who all strangely seem to be young men. However, if we let the narrative guide the facts that get reported, we will be as believable as the FEMA/Walmart death camp/ black helicopter crowd. It's a matter of crying wolf when there isn't a wolf. There's plenty of legitimate news out there to make the point without having to make things up.