Author Topic: Trump support is bringing family and friends to a breaking point  (Read 714 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Creating a permanent split in the Republican party. I wonder when Trump will pull out a Mission Accomplished banner?

Five months ago, I wrote “Why You Should End Friendships With Trump Supporters.” The response was mostly what I expected: alt-right Donald Trump-loving trolls calling me a “vile Jew” (I’m not Jewish) and lots of mainstream liberals and conservatives denouncing my lack of respect for different political viewpoints. Never mind that I explicitly addressed the question of diverse ideas and how tolerance is meant to function in a democracy. I fully expect a huge portion of commenters will only read the headline, not attempt to explain why the believe my line of reasoning is mistaken. The heavier and more unexpected level of response, however, came from friends who told me the piece resonated with them because Trump support from within their immediate families was putting a strain on their conscience.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/301047/trump-support-bringing-family-friends-breaking-point/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Trump support is bringing family and friends to a breaking point
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:18:28 pm »
Exchanges like these seem to strike at the heart of the communication impasse many are experiencing as they discuss the election with loved ones. “You’re supporting a dangerous racist” sounds extreme to someone who has been indulging daily in the mental habit of re-interpreting Trump’s hideous statements as sarcasm, innocuous misspeaking, or the political equivalent of shock rock. (“He’s just saying that stuff to get people’s attention. He won’t do any of it.”)
We've seen this kind of talk here for months. How many times has the NeverTrump caucus been called drama queens for pointing out his past statements and the threats of him and his followers—the only public record we have of him?

You're also seeing this a lot on the Hillary side of the argument; to her lackeys, every argument against her is no big deal, part of some vast right-wing conspiracy. People have become so set in their mindsets lately that no amount of discussion, argument or presentation of facts can move them. It is the literal Age of Ignorance.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:27:08 pm »
No split amongst me and my family and friends.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:43:54 pm »
It can be very stressful to find out that someone you are related to is a....

a...

*gasp*

Trumpkin....

Mental illness is always tough on a family

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:23 pm »
No split amongst me and my family and friends.

None here either over Trump.

I take that back. At least two people have defriended me over Trump, but on the other hand, I have defriended no one over Trump.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:51:31 pm by Machiavelli »