Author Topic: As Donald Trump Self-Destructs, Ted Cruz Is Probably One Of The Few Republicans Smiling Right Now  (Read 6942 times)

Offline aligncare

Can you explain that correction?  There were rules set up for the primary were established ahead of time.  Trump won a majority of delegates under those rules because of the plurality of votes he received during the primary season.  How do you twist that into it being "the elites" who selected him?

And if your claimed hang-up is on "elites" doing the selection, how much worse is it to cast away the guy who got the most votes, and having the elites decide to replace him with someone who got even less?

You must have combat experience, major. Nothing focuses the attention and keeps one attuned to the surrounding realities quite like combat, eh? :patriot:

Except combat is a bit more straightforward than politics.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Of COURSE I am seeing that.

Now.  Who benefits from this crude, ham-fisted attempt at chopping away Trump's support?  Does Trump benefit?

Does Cruz benefit?  IS CRUZ ON THE BALLOT?

No, and no.  It is, as I said, an attempt to chop away at Trump's support - such as it is.  Just do a little more, to help seal the deal.

If anyone reading this Huffinggas comPost screed thinks they're really lauding Cruz...they're gullible beyond measure.

The inside the beltway Washington elites benefit! That's who!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Sure! Be happy to!

The elites threw the rules out the window at the convention both in the rules committee to make sure only the rules they wanted were put forth to the body and on the convention floor in order to make sure Donald J. Trump was selected as the nominee and to make sure the rules they wanted were adopted!

But he still won the plurality of votes, and the majority of delegates under the rules as they were at the time the voters cast those votes.

What you are advocating is that the elites at the convention should have been permitted to change the rules, ignore the votes that were cast by voters, and elect someone else of their own choosing instead.  If you want to take that position, fine, but then to cast yourself as an opponent of "the elites" running things is simply absurd.

But okay, who do you think the Convention should have selected as the nominee rather than Trump?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You must have combat experience, major. Nothing focuses the attention and keeps one attuned to the surrounding realities quite like combat, eh? :patriot:

Actually, I do, although I got out before making Major.  My screenname is just a very interesting historical figure (check my sig. link)

Combat, and military service in general, requires you to focus on and recognize things as they are, not as you wish they were. 

Offline JustPassinThru

The inside the beltway Washington elites benefit! That's who!

They've won no matter what.

Deal with it.  You can't undo what's done.  Trump is a moron but he does understand charisma; he's done a brilliant job of crafting a Cult of Personality.  And that is how this choice came to be framed the way it is - the cultists, and the cult, and the cult leader, overwhelmed party opposition.

Make your plans.  State secession, or whatever you think might be better.  But de Nile is not a river in Egypt.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
But he still won the plurality of votes, and the majority of delegates under the rules as they were at the time the voters cast those votes.

What you are advocating is that the elites at the convention should have been permitted to change the rules, ignore the votes that were cast by voters, and elect someone else of their own choosing instead.  If you want to take that position, fine, but then to cast yourself as an opponent of "the elites" running things is simply absurd.

But okay, who do you think the Convention should have selected as the nominee rather than Trump?

I think that the convention should have been run according to the rules, that the rules committee should have been allowed to do it's work without interference from the party bosses, and that the nominee should be the person selected by the convention under the rules of the convention!   That is NOT what happened!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:16:28 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Typical of the Huffing and Puffington post. I doubt Cruz is pleased to see the party split like it did.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline libertybele

I think that the convention should have been run according to the rules, that the rules committee should have been allowed to do it's work without interference from the party bosses, and that the nominee should be the person selected by the convention under the rules of the convention!   That is NOT what happened!

:amen:   Most people weren't paying attention to what actually happened.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bolobaby

No.  Senator Cruz loves America far too much to be enjoying the disaster that is DT.

Exactly.

Smiling? No. Shaking his head in disappointment? Oh yeah.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

HonestJohn

What a load that is!  Ted Cruz isn't smiling right now! He is, like most patriots, weeping over the fact that this once great republic is self destructing before our eyes!

I read it as 'vindicated'.

HonestJohn

No, but most of us are resigned to the reality that Trump is the Republican nominee.

If you "pull the plug" on Trump after he's already been officially selected by delegates as the nominee (assuming that is even possible), you are going to see his supporters sit home en masse, which will guarantee an even larger Hillary victory.  Hell, I hate the guy, and I'd probably sit home at that point as well simply because I think the will of the voters and the agreed-upon party rules have to be followed.  Otherwise, rather than temporary incapacitated by this one nominee, the party will be permanently destroyed.

He won, we lost.  That's just how it is.

What? Sit home and not vote for a new party candidate?

Well... THAT puts paid the notion that Trump supporters are just voting party line (and so should you).

Offline EtX

• Ready for Trump
True. But there is something to say for Karma. Don't forget Karma
Win or lose, I am convinced that this DJTrump experience is "our" collective karma.

geronl

It's going to be a network not a show.

who's putting up the money? It won't be Trump. Soros maybe, Putin?

geronl

Yes.

But the Huffing-gas crowd does not come forward out of benevolence.

But like a Trumper they can be right now and then.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
No.  Senator Cruz loves America far too much to be enjoying the disaster that is DT.

Exactly!   I seriously doubt Cruz takes any joy from seeing what's happening right now with this election.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:35:17 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Minus the weapons involved...at times they can be quite similar actually.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Karma comedian.   That was Culture Club, right?

@Just_Victor  @Freya

Didn't Boy Jorge Bush sing that one?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline CSM

Ted Cruz must be a happy camper these days.

I don't think any Conservative is "happy" or "smiling" these days.  The author seems to have the perspective that this is nothing more than a sporting event.  The reality is that we all know that it is much more than that.  Some are supporting Trump with all their gusto, others like me are in mourning but can't vote for him.  Either way, I don't think any Conservative has the countenance reflected in this article.

Offline Night Hides Not

I dunno, the Clintons have killed more Americans than the Taliban.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

I don't think any Conservative is "happy" or "smiling" these days.  The author seems to have the perspective that this is nothing more than a sporting event.  The reality is that we all know that it is much more than that.  Some are supporting Trump with all their gusto, others like me are in mourning but can't vote for him.  Either way, I don't think any Conservative has the countenance reflected in this article.

Not at all Smaj...I've never found saying "I told you so" to be an uplifting exercise.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline JustPassinThru

Exactly.  What's happening now is a deepening tragedy.

Cruz is being proven right to withhold approval of Trump; but there is no joy in that.  All he stands for; all that conservatives have worked for, is being washed away by the ignorant and impulsive and emotion-driven demands and choices of an apparent majority.

These are bad times for liberty and for American founding principles.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Exactly.  What's happening now is a deepening tragedy.

Cruz is being proven right to withhold approval of Trump; but there is no joy in that.  All he stands for; all that conservatives have worked for, is being washed away by the ignorant and impulsive and emotion-driven demands and choices of an apparent majority.

These are bad times for liberty and for American founding principles.

Sam Houston all over again.

He spoke a hard truth that people didn't want to hear so they threw him out of the governor's mansion. He was eventually vindicated but it cost a half million lives including his son.

Vindication does not mean joy.

Offline CSM

No, but most of us are resigned to the reality that Trump is the Republican nominee.

If you "pull the plug" on Trump after he's already been officially selected by delegates as the nominee (assuming that is even possible), you are going to see his supporters sit home en masse, which will guarantee an even larger Hillary victory.  Hell, I hate the guy, and I'd probably sit home at that point as well simply because I think the will of the voters and the agreed-upon party rules have to be followed.  Otherwise, rather than temporary incapacitated by this one nominee, the party will be permanently destroyed.

He won, we lost.  That's just how it is.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one.  Any attempt to remove Trump and "install" an alternate at this late stage would probably be MORE dangerous than a Trump or Hillary Presidency.  I say this as a Cruz supporter who is very likely not participating in this election...I won't ever say never!  That is a lesson I learned in elementary school.

Offline JustPassinThru

To the Left, it's all about POWER.  Personal power; then, power to the Party; and for the masses, vicarious enjoyment of power.

A Leftist of the same party as a Leftist melting down as Trump is, would be delighted.

Conservatives are driven by something other than power.  TRUE conservatives are, anyway; and that's probably why Trump does not understand them and why he's so angry that Cruz doesn't kiss the ring.

Because true conservatives have a political philosophy and uphold principles derived from that guiding philosophy.  Pretend-conservatives like Trump, do not.  And Leftist journalists, do not even so pretend.  To them it IS all about power and the Team Jersey.