Author Topic: The Manafort Dossier: Close ties between Trump’s campaign chairman and Kremlin cronies in Ukraine  (Read 942 times)

Wingnut

A New York Times report sheds new light on the close ties between Donald Trump’s campaign chairman and Kremlin cronies in Ukraine and elsewhere.

Rick Wilking / Reuters
Subscribe to The Atlantic’s Politics & Policy Daily, a roundup of ideas and events in American politics.
Email
Donald Trump is scheduled to deliver what aides are billing as a major foreign-policy speech Monday afternoon, but his campaign is, yet again, already playing defense.

In a major piece published Sunday evening, The New York Times delves into the work of Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort in Ukraine. For years, Manafort worked for Viktor Yanukovych, a Kremlin protege who was deposed as president amid widespread demonstrations in 2014. Trump has been unusually positive about Russian President Vladimir Putin throughout the campaign, raising questions about why he would seek to reverse decades of American policy toward Moscow, and while the newest reports about Manafort do not answer those questions, they do demonstrate close links between a Putin ally and one of Trump’s top advisers.

The Times reports on handwritten ledgers that list $12.7 million in cash payments to Manafort from Yanukovych’s political party between 2007 and 2012. While it isn’t clear from the records whether Manafort actually received the money, the documents, obtained by the Ukrainian National Anti-Corruption Bureau, sketch out some of Manafort’s many ties in the region:

Investigators assert that the disbursements were part of an illegal off-the-books system whose recipients also included election officials. In addition, criminal prosecutors are investigating a group of offshore shell companies that helped members of Mr. Yanukovych’s inner circle finance their lavish lifestyles, including a palatial presidential residence with a private zoo, golf course and tennis court. Among the hundreds of murky transactions these companies engaged in was an $18 million deal to sell Ukrainian cable television assets to a partnership put together by Mr. Manafort and a Russian oligarch, Oleg Deripaska, a close ally of President Vladimir V. Putin.

Manafort’s work for Yanukovych is not a revelation, but the $12.7 million figure is. The ledgers reportedly do not offer explanations for the payments, simply numbers. While Manafort declined to answer the newspaper’s questions, he gave a statement to CBS’s Major Garrett in which he said, “The simplest answer is the truth: I am a political professional.” He said he had never worked for the governments of either Ukraine or Russia, that all of his payments had been above board, and that money went to compensate his large team of employees.

Being associated with unsavory leaders whose interests run counter to U.S. policy, or who have been involved in repression against citizens, is a professional risk of Manafort’s brand of political consulting. His company formerly worked for Filipino dictator Feridinand Marcos, among others.

But the Times story suggest there may have been more to Manafort’s work in Ukraine than simple electioneering. Prosecutors allege that Yanukovych and his allies, including Oleg Deripaska, an oligarch close to Putin, set up a network of offshore companies based in tax shelters like the Cayman Islands, which they used to launder money stolen from public coffers.

In 2007, Manafort co-founded an investment fund called Pericles Emerging Markets, whose major backer was Deripaska. The Russian planned to buy a series of assets, including a telecom company called Black Sea Cable, through Pericles. Black Sea Cable, in turn, was controlled by Yanukovych cronies. It’s unclear, though, exactly what happened next:

More:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/08/the-manafort-dossier/495851/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I'm old enough to remember when Bill Ayers and his friends wanted Russia to take over the USA.
I never dreamed I would be expected to support it.

Offline dfwgator

Offline LadyLiberty

I bet Putin is having the best time watching this election.

Offline dfwgator

But no mention of Kaine having dinner with George Soros' kid.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:32:49 pm by dfwgator »

Offline LadyLiberty

Also no mention of Ivanka palling around in Croatia with Wendi Deng, who is rumored to be Putin's girlfriend.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ivanka-trump-spends-day-croatia-vacay-wendi-deng-murdoch-article-1.2751749

Offline Cripplecreek

Also no mention of Ivanka palling around in Croatia with Wendi Deng, who is rumored to be Putin's girlfriend.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ivanka-trump-spends-day-croatia-vacay-wendi-deng-murdoch-article-1.2751749

The whole bunch have pretty unsavory relations that is starting to look like the royalty that led Europe into WWI.

Wingnut

Her Dad sent her over to scout out a potential new wife for after the election.  She knows what Daddy likes in a new wife.

Offline LadyLiberty

Her Dad sent her over to scout out a potential new wife for after the election.  She knows what Daddy likes in a new wife.

He does seem to have a thing for eastern Europeans.

HonestJohn

But no mention of Kaine having dinner with George Soros' kid.

The two actions are equal in your eyes?

How?

Offline Cripplecreek

The two actions are equal in your eyes?

How?

Well Trump did spend Christmas with Soros a few years back.

Offline LadyLiberty

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Well Trump did spend Christmas with Soros a few years back.

Not to mention, Soros is a big financier and partner in Trump's projects.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=174477.0

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I wonder what it is about Wendi Deng. Don't get me wrong, she is attractive, but she is no Kate Upton or Alessandra Ambrosio, yet she is on the arms and in the beds of the richest and most powerful men in the world. She must have some :cough: unique skills :cough:.

Offline Cripplecreek

I wonder what it is about Wendi Deng. Don't get me wrong, she is attractive, but she is no Kate Upton or Alessandra Ambrosio, yet she is on the arms and in the beds of the richest and most powerful men in the world. She must have some :cough: unique skills :cough:.

I think she's from a wealthy and powerful family.

Global royalty.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

I think she's from a wealthy and powerful family.

Global royalty.

I think she has a sister named Wheng...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Looks like Paul "Shooter" Manafort took off a few toes with this one.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.