Author Topic: Will Donald Trump try to weasel out of the presidential debates?  (Read 5172 times)

Wingnut

Will Donald Trump try to weasel out of the presidential debates? On the one hand, he has verbally committed to three joint appearances with Hillary Clinton this fall. On the other, he seeks to renegotiate the terms under which the matches will take place. At some point, and soon, Trump will have to decide which matters more: having his conditions met, or stepping into the spotlight as a presidential debater before the largest audience of his career.

During the primary season Trump wielded substantial influence over how the Republican debates were staged, particularly after the kick-off event in Cleveland broke viewership records. Those 24 million people weren’t tuning in for Jeb Bush, a reality that handed Trump the leverage to make demands. Some of the demands were met—shorter program lengths, the inclusion of opening and closing statements, while others were ignored—like the suggestion that the networks contribute their debate profits to charity.

But enormous differences separate primary debates from general election debates, not the least of which is that primary debates fall under the guise of commercial programming, while general election debates are classic examples of public service TV. Trump got away with making demands during the primaries because the cable news networks that sponsored the debates needed his participation to boost ratings. General election match-ups do not include commercials, and haven’t since their inception in 1960. The ratings for presidential debates, huge as they are, cannot be monetized. Debates are pure civic virtue—that’s one of their attractions.

Over the past year the Commission on Presidential Debates has announced the dates, locations and formats of the 2016 general election debates. The Clinton campaign recently accepted these terms, without fanfare and without conditions. Trump, by contrast, is positioning himself as the programs’ would-be executive producer, the type who steps in at the last minute and starts making troublesome changes.

Specifically, Trump has complained about the scheduling of debates against NFL games, ignoring the fact that presidential debates routinely compete with professional sporting events. The commission’s carefully chosen dates were announced almost a year ago, and the host institutions—college campuses across the U.S.—have spent millions of dollars preparing around that calendar. Furthermore, in an age when viewers are adept at juggling multiple screens, such programming conflicts may be irrelevant.

Trump says he wants a voice in choosing debate moderators. In early rounds of presidential debates, from Kennedy-Nixon through the 1980s, this was standard practice. But over the past few cycles the debate commission has made a point of announcing the slate of moderators before the campaigns dive into the nitty-gritty of debate planning. Effectively this has cut candidates and handlers out of the process — that was the commission’s goal, and it’s a laudable one.

Because Trump sees himself as a television maestro, someone with fabulous ideas, we can expect him to weigh in on matters of format and production. Will he ask for a more self-serving structure than the one that’s being proposed? Under the current plan, two of the three debates involve several rounds of 15-minute open discussion periods — hardly Trump’s thing. It is conceivable that he may lobby for a repeat of the Sarah Palin format in her 2008 debate with Joe Biden: ultra-short response times that favor memorized sound bites over sustained arguments. Against Hillary Clinton, this may be Trump’s best hope.

More

http://time.com/4446776/donald-trump-debates/

Offline sinkspur

Re: Will Donald Trump try to weasel out of the presidential debates?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:11:27 am »
By the end of September, Trump will be firmly 10 points down, and the debates will be the only thing he could count on to pull his butt out of the ditch.

He'll accept the terms without a whimper, OR he'll skip the debates.

In which case, he'll drop another three points.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:15:06 am »
A better question to ask is, can the Hildebeest participate in a live debate without a major circuit breaker tripping off in her head??

Seriously.  Can she even stand up on her own for that length of time??

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 03:16:48 am »
A better question to ask is, can the Hildebeest participate in a live debate without a major circuit breaker tripping off in her head??

She did very well against Bernie, in every debate.

Don't buy into Hannity's bullshit about Hillary being sick. It's a diversion from Trump's ineptitude.

Offline unknown

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 03:19:36 am »

"Will Donald Trump try to weasel out of the presidential debates?"

What a stupid question. I can't believe someone would even post this drivel.

He loves to debate. He thinks he is the best debater. And he has done extremely well in the primary debates. He is very much looking forward to ripping into Hillary directly. He has every right to determine and negotiate the rules under which he will debate.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 03:20:00 am »

Vegas odds puts her at 70/30  and that is at a trump book.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 04:47:37 am »
He loves to debate. He thinks he is the best debater. And he has done extremely well in the primary debates. He is very much looking forward to ripping into Hillary directly. He has every right to determine and negotiate the rules under which he will debate.

He was a terrible debater, he brought it down to the gutter level and he even skipped one since he loves it so much.

Offline unknown

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 04:52:17 am »
He was a terrible debater, he brought it down to the gutter level and he even skipped one since he loves it so much.

Is that why he skipped it? Try again.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 04:59:45 am »
Is that why he skipped it? Try again.

It is a given We will concede that Trump is a masterbater.

Offline unknown

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 05:03:16 am »
It is a given We will concede that Trump is a masterbater.

And you?

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 12:09:56 pm »
At this point I believe he will debate.  It will be the best platform to do as much damage, as quickly as possible to his campaign.

There will be more negative soundbites available to Hillary than she can use.

Hillary supporters will be in the audience goading him into predictable bouts of apoplectic frenzy.

It will not only be "must see TV" but it will also put the final few nails into the coffin of this sham campaign.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 12:18:06 pm »
Will he weasel out?  Of course; it's what The Donald does.

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 02:48:56 pm »

He ran from Ted Cruz's debate challenge because he knew Cruz would destroy him one-on-one.  I expect he'll do the same again.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 03:05:22 pm »
He ran from Ted Cruz's debate challenge because he knew Cruz would destroy him one-on-one.  I expect he'll do the same again.

Trump was happy to debate when there were lots of candidates on stage where he could flip off a few insults and mindless answers to fill up 20 seconds at a time. When it got down to Trump Kasich and Cruz, Trump didn't want to debate anymore because he couldn't bait Cruz and Kasich with his childish behavior. He would have been forced to give actual serious answers to things and proved what a simpleton he really is.

In a debate with Clinton he won't be able to talk about his genitalia and get away with it. He'll be asked to explain his comments about wanting American citizens tried by military commissions and locked up at Guantanamo bay.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 03:10:45 pm »
Exactly.  Trump lost every single debate except one and that one he didn't win.  He simply managed to not hurt himself.  In one of the debates, his insanity became glaringly obvious to anyone with half a brain.  The man is an embarrassment.

I think the only debate he didn't lose was the one where he didn't show up.

In the history of televised debates, there has never been a worse debater than Donald J. Trump.

And if and when he appears on the national stage in a debate, he will prove he is an ignorant, insane fool, and will lose.

Which, IMO, is his plan, since he's been in this for Hillary from Day 1.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 03:18:57 pm »

LOL!!  The only people who thought Trump did "well" in primary debates were those who answered those phony Drudge polls.   He showed a profound ignorance and he will show even more ignorance if he has to give more than a one or two sentence response to a question without 16 other people on the stage.

As for negotiating the rules, no he doesn't get a say. The rules are the rules, nobody's objected since 1996, and he will accept the rules or not debate, which will sink him even further in the polls.

Trump is in serious trouble. Quibbling about debate rules and thundering over "rigged" results is just flop sweat from Big Orange.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 03:23:23 pm »
LOL!!  The only people who thought Trump did "well" in primary debates were those who answered those phony Drudge polls.   

No kidding, He was at 80% no matter how many times I voted.  :silly:

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 03:30:52 pm »
Exactly.  Trump lost every single debate except one and that one he didn't win.  He simply managed to not hurt himself.  In one of the debates, his insanity became glaringly obvious to anyone with half a brain.  The man is an embarrassment.

Yes, and I would say that the moment the fool bragged about the size of his genitals was the moment he should have been led offstage and barred from subsequent debates.

He was able to get away with his ineffectual flailing as long as he could stand amidst the camouflage of a line of candidates.  But when it's down to one on one, Trump's ignorance will be on glaring display, and he knows that.

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 03:33:13 pm »
Trump was happy to debate when there were lots of candidates on stage where he could flip off a few insults and mindless answers to fill up 20 seconds at a time. When it got down to Trump Kasich and Cruz, Trump didn't want to debate anymore because he couldn't bait Cruz and Kasich with his childish behavior. He would have been forced to give actual serious answers to things and proved what a simpleton he really is.

In a debate with Clinton he won't be able to talk about his genitalia and get away with it. He'll be asked to explain his comments about wanting American citizens tried by military commissions and locked up at Guantanamo bay.

Omg, CC, I should have read this before I typed my previous post, LOL.   

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 03:52:53 pm »
Omg, CC, I should have read this before I typed my previous post, LOL.

Actually, I enjoyed reading the same thought twice.    ^-^

It's the absolute truth.  Trump could just stick in a brain dead zinger once in a while,  giving his fans the vapors, and never say a single thing of substance, simply because there were so many people on stage.

He doesn't have enough in his head to debate one-on-one for even a half hour let alone the entire time of the debate.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »
Actually, I enjoyed reading the same thought twice.    ^-^

It's the absolute truth.  Trump could just stick in a brain dead zinger once in a while,  giving his fans the vapors, and never say a single thing of substance, simply because there were so many people on stage.

He doesn't have enough in his head to debate one-on-one for even a half hour let alone the entire time of the debate.

That's true.  If he does make it to the debates, I expect Clinton will cream him, and she isn't much of a debater to begin with. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 04:07:58 pm »
That's true.  If he does make it to the debates, I expect Clinton will cream him, and she isn't much of a debater to begin with.

She will.  And she's one of the most distasteful, nastiest human beings on the face of the earth.

Just think of where we would be if the GOP had chosen a REAL nominee, and not this bone-headed charlatan!   **nononono*

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »
Will he weasel out?  Of course; it's what The Donald does.

Trump is the Frank Burns of the GOP.  Old  ferret face!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 04:12:31 pm »
She will.  And she's one of the most distasteful, nastiest human beings on the face of the earth.

Just think of where we would be if the GOP had chosen a REAL nominee, and not this bone-headed charlatan!   **nononono*

A debate champion with some actual policy chops and an awareness of the world around him would have been good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 04:18:54 pm »
Will Donald Trump try to weasel out of the presidential debates?

Is water wet?

Is a pig's but pork?

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien