Author Topic: Laura Ingraham Successfully Persuades Me Not To Vote For Donald Trump  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Laura Ingraham Successfully Persuades Me Not To Vote For Donald Trump
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2016, 02:33:54 am »
As I pointed out to a liberal (Canadian) friend of mine a couple months ago, Trump has thoroughly destroyed the ability for a rational conservative to argue in favor of much tighter (and enforced) immigration laws, probably for the next generation. Winning the nomination has, for all intents and purposes, married the Republican party to his damned loudmouth, no-nothing alt-right rhetoric. Your average, apolitical "undecided" (I leave off the hardcore leftists here, they're a lost cause anyway) hears that rhetoric spewing from Trump's mouth and assumes that this is what real conservatives think since for the last hundred or more years Republican = conservative. We're tarred with the same brush.

There was a rational, sane way to approach the immigration debate from the right. Heck, I've heard Krauthammer hint at it numerous times on Special Report.  There are articles and books from luminaries like Thomas Sowell that outline the problem with a lack of assimilation, all of which could have been simplified and presented in a rational way for the masses.  Did the Republican Party embrace them? No, they chose Trump's empty-headed rants instead.  And coming back from that is going to be a long, hard road for conservatives.
There is no reason the United States can't impose restrictions on the number and country of origin of immigrants, other than the will to do so. That those people who want to come here have to pass certain health, education/skill, or other limitations. The entire "refugee" thing needs to be revamped, too, as Christians in critical areas where they are subject to beheading aren't considered "refugees" because they aren't being persecuted by their government but nongovernmental forces.

There are reasonable ways to handle all this, which don't include orchestrating invasions of children on trains, or the wholesale admission of people who live in a war zone without any effective screening for those who might wish this nation harm.

We need to assimilate people, too, and that doesn't include printing every government form in any language other than English. Encourage people to learn the language. Those who emigrated here in the early 20th century were anxious to learn English and to become American, to be a part of this nation, to seize opportunity and earn their way, not merely to exploit its largess.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2016, 02:34:37 am »

Romney is head and shoulders above trump. Many despise Romney and held their noses voting for him or didn't vote for him at all. I have no problem with that. If it cost Romney the election (I don't think it did) then I don't blame them. It is what it is. Obama still had the mystique of being the first African American president and many didn't want him to be a one term president. He had the hurricane and the praise from Christie that gave him a last minute boost. Many possibilities on why Romney lost. But that doesn't change that he was a decent man and you don't call those who didn't vote for him traitors.

Shilling for Romney   :pondering: :pondering: :pondering:  Right now I am shilling for McMulling:  McMullin Heading To Des Moines
https://www.evanmcmullin.com/heading_to_des_moines

I  even started to give him my financial support. :laugh: :laugh:

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:44 am »

Right now I am shilling for McMulling:  McMullin Heading To Des Moines
https://www.evanmcmullin.com/heading_to_des_moines

I  even started to give him my financial support. :laugh: :laugh:
Start a thread for him in the Third Party section of the forum, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2016, 03:21:18 am »
Romney is head and shoulders above trump. Many despise Romney and held their noses voting for him or didn't vote for him at all. I have no problem with that. If it cost Romney the election (I don't think it did) then I don't blame them. It is what it is. Obama still had the mystique of being the first African American president and many didn't want him to be a one term president. He had the hurricane and the praise from Christie that gave him a last minute boost. Many possibilities on why Romney lost. But that doesn't change that he was a decent man and you don't call those who didn't vote for him traitors.

Mitt was one of the classiest, most knowledgeable politicians we've had in a long time.  The people who worked alongside him always had glowing reviews.  He took a lot of heat for the Trump speech, but should be applauded for trying to prevent the catastrophe we now face.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2016, 03:29:48 am »
Sorry Ben Shapiro, obviously, you don't want to elect someone who doesn't invade countries and see Christian persecution afterwards as your boy Bush did.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2016, 03:30:43 am »
At the very least Romney had some genuine Republican bonifides!  Trump has exactly NONE!

@Bigun
Nearly every reason and on every issue the mindless bots at TOS rejected Romney they readily accept and defend the same in Trump.  And that includes the Fresno grifter.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2016, 03:50:00 am »
Back to Bush bashing.  Seems to me he kept us pretty safe after 9-11.  Seems to me that all intel said Iraq had WMD's. Seems to me everyone wanted us to take down Afghanistan.
You don't like the attacks on a supposed Republican trump, who oozes with corruption, greed, deceit and narcissism. Yet, you attack the last Republican president who epitomizes decency
in the face of withering attacks and back stabs from his own people. I guess trump showed you how to do that in the debates when he said Bush lied about WMDs.
It has always been the Democrat mode of attack.....just blame Bush.

Great post, cuky.

The more I see the postings of the guy above, the more I realize he's not "one of us."

He not only bashes Bush incessantly (and in a completely irrelevant manner which doesn't prove a thing about Trump), but he's also bashed Reagan in favor of Trump, and there's not a conservative in the world who would do that.

He's a poseur.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2016, 04:25:37 am »
It has always been the Democrat mode of attack.....just blame Bush.

I hate to bust your bubble but it wasn't just Democrats who saw flaws in Mr. Bush. And those on the right (there were more than
you may remember) who dared challenge Bush and his Republican Congresses for their floutings of the Constitution---which did
as much as anything to pave the way for the Obama era---got assaulted in language at least as vile as that flung back and forth
by some supporters and some critics of Donaldus Minimus. ("Bush bashing" was one of the more benign epithets. "Bush derange-
ment syndrome," anyone?)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2016, 05:29:35 am »
Sorry, but there is no bubble to bust, my deep respect for Bush not withstanding. 
What floutings are you referring to that paved the way for the Obama era? The NSA spying? or are you referring to the increase in government spending which I oppose but is
not flouting the Constitution.

The spending doesn't, the spying does, and among other things that do we can cite Bush's signing of McCain-Feingold---a bill which
he knew to be unconstitutional, and had said as much in the months before the final version reached his desk, but which he
signed anyway---was a flagrant violation of his oath of office. No Child Left Behind flew in the face of the Tenth Amendment. Like
only a couple too many of his predecessors, he failed to procure a proper declaration of war from Congress regarding the Iraq War.
And, like a couple too many of his predecessors and his immediate successor, he all but admitted that there were times when
the Constitution was just a little too inconvenient when it came to getting done what he wanted or "needed" to be done.

And if you consider the thesis of Mr. Tanner's book, and concur that further metastasising big government indeed flies in the face
of the Constitution, it is impossible to deny that Mr. Bush and his Republican Congresses flouted the Constitution. As did the
first Clinton Administration before them; as did His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow Dr. Barack Obama Dada, COD, RIP,
LSMFT, Would-Have-Been Life President of the Republic Formerly Known as the United States, to follow them. As will either
Donaldus Minimus or Hilarious Rodent Clinton---neither of whom has been known heretofore to have construed the Constitution
reasonably (and it's an open debate as to how much either of them really knows the Constitution)---to come.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2016, 07:01:08 am »
McCain-Feingold...Bush had deep reservations about the bill and he should have followed those reservations and not signed the bill.
The Iraq war....Bush did get congressional approval for use of Military force. The US has not declared war since WWII including military actions by both
Dems and Republicans including Reagan. NLCB was a disaster. However, it only applied to schools wanting federal funding (which of course is all schools).
The desire was to improve education for those who generally did not do well in school. Noble idea but very wrong approach and thankfully it has been
gradually dismantled. I have never like NLCB. As i previously mentioned I am no fan of big government spending and Bush generally disappointed me there.

As I said before, there is no bubble to burst concerning GWB. I still admire the man and am thankful for his leadership during his Presidency, especially after 9/11.
I appreciate the respect he showed for the office and the heartfelt thanks he showed for those that sacrificed for this country.  He is a model of how to leave office
without having to attack those that criticize him.

With any president one could go through and pick out items with which one disagrees. Even Ronald Reagan disappointed me with how he handled Lebanon while in office.
But there was no doubt with Reagan or with Bush that their actions were guided by one thought only...what would be the best for our country. Both were men of good hearts.
Bush had his shortcomings. But, I hold him in high esteem. I understand that you do not and I have no desire to litigate the Bush years. Hindsight is always better as the immediate
concerns of the times are forgotten as policies are analyzed for their failures. Again, I have no desire to litigate the Bush years and I do not mean this as a slight to you or your point of view.
You have some very legitimate arguments.   :beer:

It ought to prove very interesting to have the same debate after 2017-2020. Assuming there is anything left
of what remains of the republic to debate. (The U.S. may not have had a formal Congressional declaration of
war since World War II, but a) that doesn't make it properly constitutional; and, more chillingly, b) the country
is about to choose between two candidates whose illiteracy about geopolitics, diplomacy, and war just might
make what's come before this century and its predecessor seem like short-term bad dreams.)

But somehow I also fear that Satayana's Law---not yet repealed, and barely understood by the present
White House challengers---will impose dire consequences upon us all. I just hope the beer we hoist at
the end of that period won't prove flat!

geronl

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:03 am »
Sorry, but there is no bubble to bust, my deep respect for Bush not withstanding. 
What floutings are you referring to that paved the way for the Obama era? The NSA spying? or are you referring to the increase in government spending which I oppose but is
not flouting the Constitution.

There was the Bush amnesty attempt IIRC. A great outcry by conservatives helped prevent it from passing.