Author Topic: Trump makes a joke about shooting.........somebody.  (Read 14289 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: Trump makes a joke about shooting.........somebody.
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2016, 07:28:21 pm »
Rush is getting frustrating. It is one thing supporting the candidate. It is another thing to be a propagandist for him. The last time I heard this many 'what he really meant to say was....' with a candidate, was the other orange candidate, John Kerry.

The other thing that is a bit frustrating is he keeps repeating the lie that Trump just speaks 'off the cuff' and likes to joke around. Sorry, but that's BS. That is the image that the 'character' of Trump is playing, but he has a full staff of writers and marketing people who are parsing his words to paint a very specific image they want.

..and anyway, even if that were true, the job of Commander in Chief of the United States Armed Forces is not something to joke about. This isn't a dumb reality show.

I expect this kind of stuff from Hannity, but I was hoping for a bit more intellectual honesty from Rush.

..and there is the answer. Rush is projecting his own wishes and what he hopes Trump meant, not what he actually says or believes.

There was a thread on FR a few weeks ago where members were posing 'What Trump would do as President' and they were projecting all their desires on him- 90% of which were issues Trump never addressed or actually took a different position than they were projecting.

In this way, he is like Obama, people are projecting their own hopes on him.
"In this way, he is like Obama, people are projecting their own hopes on him."

It is exceptionally dismaying to read comments by Trump supporters who sincerely believe Trump would solve every national problem in his first term....maybe his first year.
Many of these people were probably the same ones who ridiculed Obama supporters for believing King Barack would fix every problem in their lives.
How can supposedly sane conservatives believe some elected pol can solve every last problem afflicting the country? This year has caused me to question whether there actually is  a large movement of committed conservatives with allegiance to the constitution and conservative principles or just a very small one.
If that many millions of conservatives are willing to throw their principles into the garbage for the Orange Toad, this country is sunk. I certainly can't look at many erstwhile conservative talk show hosts like Limbaugh, Hannity, and a bunch of others ever the same again.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2016, 07:33:21 pm »
Elizabeth Landers ‏@ElizLanders  54m54 minutes ago
Just in from @jimsciutto: Secret Service official confirms to @CNN that agency has spoken to Trump campaign regarding 2nd Amendment comments
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2016, 07:48:03 pm »
GOP Rep. Defending Trump: He’s Not a Very Articulate Person

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gop-rep-defending-trump-hes-not-a-very-articulate-person/

“You’re treating Donald Trump’s words,” Duncan Hunter said, “like he is the most articulate person who’s ever graced our ears with his words, and that’s not true. He is not a politician. He is not a person like you who’s very articulate, very well-spoken. He’s a businessperson who’s running for president.”

:chairbang:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2016, 08:00:03 pm »
That's an understatement
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Longmire

« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2016, 08:10:08 pm »
Just in from @jimsciutto: Secret Service official confirms to @CNN that agency has spoken to Trump campaign regarding 2nd Amendment comments
Hmm...I wonder if anyone has spoken to the Secret Service about not letting people under investigation for terrorism into political events.

Good thing Pappa Mateen wasn't wearing one of his son's vests.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »
Hmm...I wonder if anyone has spoken to the Secret Service about not letting people under investigation for terrorism into political events.

Good thing Pappa Mateen wasn't wearing one of his son's vests.
Laws are for little people. It's like when those reporters get to break gun laws on live TV and get away with it.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline musiclady

« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2016, 08:22:57 pm »

Good.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2016, 08:29:31 pm »

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gop-rep-defending-trump-hes-not-a-very-articulate-person/

My 1st grader isn't articulate either,  but the crap that comes out of his mouth is infinitely more intelligent than Trump. 

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2016, 08:31:31 pm »
Good.

Remember when the SS went to visit Beck for his stabbing statement and the Trumpkins went nuts?  Yea....

Somehow,  I'm guessing this case will be different to them. 

Wingnut

« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2016, 08:43:55 pm »

Secret Service Has Spoken With Donald Trump Campaign: Report
http://time.com/4447144/donald-trump-second-amendment-people-secret-service/

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2016, 08:49:33 pm »
The same people now saying Trump was just joking and it's absurd to read anything nefarious into his comments, were thrashing about and gnashing their teeth over this:
http://www.dangerandplay.com/2016/05/25/brad-thor-and-glenn-beck-advocate-assassination-of-trump/

Remember that?  Ah....hypocrisy.  Ain't it a bitch. :whistle:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »

:beer:
Looks like a 'Trigger' event....Sorry Mr. Rogers...Maybe you could open a fast food stand.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2016, 09:36:17 pm »
My 1st grader isn't articulate either,  but the crap that comes out of his mouth is infinitely more intelligent than Trump.
I have carried on far more intelligent conversations with 5 year old children, whose sentence structure and coherent communication run rings around some of the babble Trump spews. 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2016, 09:37:31 pm »
Or was a joke?  Hmmmm

You can not leave out the next line he said for the context.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2016, 09:42:38 pm »
Secret Service Has Spoken With Donald Trump Campaign: Report
http://time.com/4447144/donald-trump-second-amendment-people-secret-service/
Well, maybe... From that link:

The agency would neither confirm nor deny the report to TIME.

“Those statements did not come from our public affairs office,” said Joseph Casey, a spokesperson for the Secret Service. He added he could not confirm the Secret Service reached out to the Trump campaign.

Trump tweeted late Wednesday that the report was inaccurate.

The best we get is an interpretation of what was said:

“The Secret Service saying, ‘We are aware of this,’ I hear that as saying, ‘We really are concerned about this,'” said Stephen Saltzburg, a law professor at George Washington University who has worked at various levels of federal law enforcement. “They’re gonna say, ‘We’re aware.’ That’s a code word for, ‘We’re really concerned.'”

"A code word"?

Either they did or they didn't. Otherwise, is there some website or book we can look up all the code words in? My Funk & Wagnall's should have been enough. Ingles solamente, por favor!

C S Lewis

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2016, 10:16:52 pm »
You can not leave out the next line he said for the context.

I actually meant to say IT was a joke?  (Like I don't believe it).

And yes I heard the next line,  which led me to believe he wasn't referring to taking care of things at the ballot box. 

HonestJohn

« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2016, 10:17:08 pm »
Or was a joke?  Hmmmm

Considering it presupposes a situation were Hillary is already in office, his supporter's claim that Trump meant that gun-rights activists would stop it by voting is ludicrious, for there would be nothing for them to vote on until 2018.

HonestJohn

« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2016, 10:20:11 pm »

Trump says he has the best words.  Yuuuuge words.

Words like.... deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp.  Yuge, that is.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2016, 10:50:56 pm »

Offline Longmire

« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2016, 12:21:19 am »
...and it turns out the story about the SS talking to the Trump campaign about his remarks was false.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-secretservice-idUSKCN10L29W

No word about whether anyone is going to talk to the SS about allowing terrorist suspects to attend political events.

Wingnut

« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2016, 12:33:45 am »
...and it turns out the story about the SS talking to the Trump campaign about his remarks was false.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-secretservice-idUSKCN10L29W

No word about whether anyone is going to talk to the SS about allowing terrorist suspects to attend political events.

From the book of Trump....It really doesn't matter.  Say it. Live it. Move from it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2016, 12:42:22 am »

Wondering if @sinkspur is there.     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2016, 12:44:24 am »

Most negative stories about Trump posted here (by the usual suspects) are either overwrought or turn out false.

#NeverTrump has a 100 percent failure rate in predictions and/or in actions, but score a 100 percent useful-to-DNC quotient. How it must feel to be useful to a political endgame! I heard the Hillary campaign sent a sincerest form letter thanking neverTrumpers.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:48:32 am by aligncare »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2016, 12:46:45 am »

Or sexual predators like Mark Foley:

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HonestJohn

« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2016, 02:42:29 am »
As of 08:30 PM, CNN still stands by the news.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/10/politics/trump-second-amendment/