Author Topic: What forms of taxation are justified if any?  (Read 14915 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
What forms of taxation are justified if any?
« on: August 03, 2016, 07:07:44 pm »
Do you believe there should be no taxes? Some taxes? What's ideal? How do we balance it with needing a military, infrastructure and a working government? Even without corruption public schools and education will still cost a lot of money. What about science and space exploration? Is there any room for those?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:11:25 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: What forms of taxation are justified if any?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:40 pm »
Do you believe there should be no taxes? Some taxes? What's ideal? How do we balance it with needing a military, infrastructure and a working government? Even without corruption public schools and education will still cost a lot of money. What about science and space exploration? Is there any room for those?

IMO...  just enough funds to cover....

Military
Treasury for currency, and nothing more.
State
Create one single Inter-state Department to manage (1) inter-state disputes (2) Exceptions like Air Traffic Control, and a few other possibilities

Absolutely everything else delegated to the states

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:18 pm »
I'm all for the Fair Tax, minus the prebate nonsense.

Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:24:57 pm »
ideally no taxes
detail: no direct taxes

better: extremely low income tax rate to cover the very basic functions of government while laving all else to the states.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:30:12 pm »
Best option? Just taxing my nerves.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:32:30 pm »
Taxes on articles of consumption only!  As our founders universally endorsed!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »
ideally no taxes
detail: no direct taxes

better: extremely low income tax rate to cover the very basic functions of government while laving all else to the states.

I vehemently oppose income taxes.  Taxing the very idea of obtaining wealth and improving the capital of the nation.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:35:59 pm »
I vehemently oppose income taxes.  Taxing the very idea of obtaining wealth and improving the capital of the nation.

PSSSST!  Don't tell anyone but the cottage industry inside the beltway Washington DEPENDS on their being able to continually redefine just exactly what that one little word "income" means!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 08:46:34 pm »
With respect to the federal government -

A flat income tax on personal wages and capital gains, with minimal deductions to keep the rate as low as possible.

No corporate income tax.

No federal estate tax.   

Tariffs (or a VAT) on imported goods

Taxes on certain commodities such as gas or electricity

The federal government should be barred from taxing sales or consumption;  these should be the exclusive province of the states.   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:48:37 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 08:52:37 pm »
I would stop at the sales tax. I would phase out most of the departments and allow private enterprise to get more involved. The military would come home to protect our borders, and much would devolve to the states.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 09:06:55 pm »
I would say history is far and away the most useful reference.  Go back to see what taxes were collected during the very early days of this country.  One would find very little in the way of taxes, with these two chiefly to fund the federal govt.

1. Tariffs(the largest source of federal revenue for its first 150 years)
2. Excise taxes on American products (led to the Whisky Rebellion)

These should be enough to run this country, as the states can fund whatever they need.

And let the individual states raise and lower taxes as they see fit.  Those who wish to punish their citizens with, say an income tax, will find people flocking away to more hospitable domains.  And those that remain will ultimately punish those in power who made those taxes.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »
I would stop at the sales tax. I would phase out most of the departments and allow private enterprise to get more involved. The military would come home to protect our borders, and much would devolve to the states.

I very much like the way you think!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:22:13 pm »
I would say history is far and away the most useful reference.  Go back to see what taxes were collected during the very early days of this country.  One would find very little in the way of taxes, with these two chiefly to fund the federal govt.

More complicated society today. Everything you needed back then you bought locally.

Back in the founders days we did not buy presciption drugs from China or do commerce with numerous countries. We did not buy cows from other countries that may have mad cow disease.

We need  a federal USDA and other groups to keep and eye out for the American people.

And before you say let the states do it my wife and own 3 companies and we live right on the border of another state and the state regulation between the two are  nearly totally different.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:23:43 pm »

We need to be mindful of the reality that most of the states primarily depend on the sales tax for the bulk of their revenue.  That's why I oppose federal sales or consumption taxes -  to give the states room to not be crowded out.  At current levels of spending,  a national sales/consumption tax might have to be set at close to 50% of the cost of the item (and would require the application of a messy "prebate" to counter the natural regressivity of a sales/consumption tax).

The problem with the income tax is that it has become a tool of social policy.   That's why I like a broad-based but flat income tax with minimal deductions  (I'd allow deductions for charitable contributions and contributions to retirement savings accounts only.)   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

geronl

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 09:25:47 pm »
If the government was limited to sales taxes, it'd be 1,000% right now.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 09:32:10 pm »
Taxes on articles of consumption only!  As our founders universally endorsed!

There YA' go.  :beer:

Want roads.... tax fuel. But only for what it is used for.

Want Airports.. tax each ticket.

Same for every government endeavor. Tax those who use it.

Military/social.. a national sales tax.

No income tax, no business tax, no death tax and NO property tax.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 09:33:12 pm »
If the government was limited to sales taxes, it'd be 1,000% right now.

And we would have the size of gubberment we would get from that rate.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »
We need to be mindful of the reality that most of the states primarily depend on the sales tax for the bulk of their revenue.  That's why I oppose federal sales or consumption taxes -  to give the states room to not be crowded out.  At current levels of spending,  a national sales/consumption tax might have to be set at close to 50% of the cost of the item (and would require the application of a messy "prebate" to counter the natural regressivity of a sales/consumption tax).

The problem with the income tax is that it has become a tool of social policy.   That's why I like a broad-based but flat income tax with minimal deductions  (I'd allow deductions for charitable contributions and contributions to retirement savings accounts only.)

Let it be shown what government costs, and let that cost be born by all.

I prefer that income taxes be totally done away with.

Use taxes, that is paying for infrastructure by those who use is best. Next is the most broad taxation, which is a sales tax. No pre-bate, exclude basic items... basic foods. Want a coke..sales tax, need baby formula..no sales tax.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:15 pm »
More complicated society today. Everything you needed back then you bought locally.

We need  a federal USDA and other groups to keep and eye out for the American people.

@IsailedawayfromFR

How about both, you say we need USDA.. well how about those who think so, pay for it by paying $10.00 a pound for steak carrying a USDA label. And those of us who do not think we need it can buy our steak at $3.00 a pound for steak not carrying a USDA label.. Or however it sorts out in a truly free market.

I notice that there are plenty of USDA labeled product recalled and which kill people all the time.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:54:43 pm by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 10:27:31 pm »

I notice that there are plenty of USDA labeled product recalled and which kill people all the time.

And there would be tens of thousands more killed without it.

The free market does not always work. I lived in an area that was strip mined. Everyone hated the orange water and leftover high walls but it was the EPA that stopped both and made the coal companies reclaim (though the EPA has gone to far) .

Child labor was common at the turn of the century and it was not the free market which stopped it but  gov't rules and laws.

@Fantom

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:27:54 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 10:34:55 pm »

You're right, I would throw the Feds a bone and allow tariffs, leaving sales tax to the states.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:36 pm »
And there would be tens of thousands more killed without it.

The free market does not always work. I lived in an area that was strip mined. Everyone hated the orange water and leftover high walls but it was the EPA that stopped both and made the coal companies reclaim (though the EPA has gone to far) .

Child labor was common at the turn of the century and it was not the free market which stopped it but  gov't rules and laws.

@Fantom

Seems the world is overflowing with people the USDA does not protect.

That alone speaks to it's efficacy.

In fact...https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html

Death rate USA 8.15 deaths/1,000 population (2015 est.)   Death Rate India 7.32 deaths/1,000 population (2015 est.)

Does not seem that massive overreaching government does much.

But that was not my point. My point is that I am fine with you needing the USDA.. you should pay for it however in the goods you purchase.

I am fine with freedom. I should have the choice, in a free country, to not be tied to you.

Now the rest of your rant about ..child labor. Get a chill pill.

Frederick Douglass

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 11:25:01 pm »

Death rate USA 8.15 deaths/1,000 population (2015 est.)   Death Rate India 7.32 deaths/1,000 population (2015 est.)

LOL show the specifics of that article. I clicked on the link and it just went to the home page..something your sentance is not saying or left out.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 11:33:12 pm »
LOL show the specifics of that article. I clicked on the link and it just went to the home page..something your sentance is not saying or left out.

Wow, you're a progressive right? Moveon.org troll maybe?

Learn to be independent, like a Conservative.. a Tea party , founder of this nation conservative.

Let me walk you thru it. Go to the link provided. Click on the country you wish to see it's info... then click  on Population, then come back here and ....sheesh.

No wonder you need government.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:35:21 pm by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 11:39:58 pm »
Wow, you're a progressive right? Moveon.org troll maybe?

Learn to be independent, like a Conservative.. a Tea party , founder of this nation conservative.

Let me walk you thru it. Go to the link provided. Click on the country you wish to see it's info... then click  on Population, then come back here and ....sheesh.

I lean right but I' m also a realist conservative on some things but liberal on others. ..you anti gov't folks crack me up.. want to disband nearly every gov';t agency. You are the one who needs to take the chill pill.  Thank God you are just a small segment  of the population. This is no longer 1784.

Here is what limited gov't get's you. A friend on FB just came back  from India doing missionary work for 8 weeks. This is what much of the country looks like or nearly like.. A small segment of society is doing fine..the rest..just well sucks. (not her photo). Sorry I will stick to a larger gov't like we have  in the US rather than helter skelter though I think many gov't agnecies could be downsized and less laws.

@Fantom