Author Topic: ABC: RNC Considering Options If Trump Drops Out  (Read 26485 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: ABC: RNC Considering Options If Trump Drops Out
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2016, 12:57:37 am »
I disagree with Jeb on some issues important to me.  He is not all bad, though.  Regardless, he was not even close to the top of my choices if for no other reason that I didn't want another Bush or another Clinton vs Bush contest.  Been there.  Don't that.  Jeb was unlucky in birth order I guess.  I just do not like the idea of a dynasty.  Still, Jeb is a respectful and decent man of good character.  I do think he is honest and speaks the truth to voters no matter the cost.  That I greatly respect.  As a person, he is one thousand times a better man than Trump.

Completely agree with you on this @RAT Patrol
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:26 am »
Ted Cruz is looking better and better as time goes by, and the "Republican Faithful" who went along with Trump are looking more and more compromised.  The only question at this point is whether Trump is going to hang in there, continue doing what he is doing, and bring the whole GOP down with him.  Wish I could say I am sorry about it, but truthfully, the party deserves this.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2016, 01:37:00 am »
Ted Cruz is looking better and better as time goes by

"Looking better and better" is a pretty low bar these days....  ;-)

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2016, 01:44:53 am »
"Looking better and better" is a pretty low bar these days....  ;-)

It's far better than looking worse and worse, as is the New York liberal.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2016, 02:17:12 am »
Jeb Bush governed Florida as a conservative. A strong conservative.

People didn't want him because of his last name.

Not voting for someone solely because of their last name is as idiotic as voting for someone solely because of their skin color or their gender.

Since we have now elected an unqualified man because of his skin color, rejected a highly qualified one because of his last name and are about to elect a crook because of her gender, what we know know is that the electorate is made up of idiots.

Triple Amen to your post.  Well stated.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:53 am »
You're an ignorant individual.

People like you are the reason why we're in the mess we're in.

Jeb is pro-life.

Jed is pro 2A.

Jeb cut taxes in Florida more times than any other Governor, including first a reduction and then a repeal of the state's tax on personal assets such as investments, a rollback of a school property tax, a bigger property tax break for veterans, and a property tax exemption for child
 care facilities. Jeb cut taxes every year that he was a Governor.

He reduced the size of government by reducing the government workforce by 13,000+ workers, with most of those jobs being either privatized, or cut altogether.

Jeb led the nation in the fight for school choice, and won. Florida's first-in-the-nation school choice program set the standard for school choice for the rest of the States. Jeb fought and defeated the unions and administrators that wanted to keep the status quo in place, and because of Jeb's fight Florida students benefited.

How did Jeb's governorship impact education in Florida?

-- In 1998, Florida’s fourth-graders scored at the bottom nationally in NAEP scores in reading and math. By 2009, they had scored above the national average in both categories.

-- Florida’s fourth-grade Hispanic students equaled or surpassed the performance of all students in 31 states.

-- Fourth-grade African American students in Florida outperform African American students in all but three states in NAEP math tests.

-- Low-income Florida elementary school students of all races rank near the top nationally in math.

-- High school graduation rates increased 21 percent, even as the requirements got tougher.

-- The number of African American and Latino students passing AP tests increased 365 percent.

Jeb is stridently pro life . In fact, on the issue of abortion, Jeb has the most conservative record of all candidates vying for the Republican nomination in 2016.

Jeb signed into law was legislation requiring that parents be notified before a minor's abortion, a bill prohibiting partial-birth abortion and a bill regulating the safety of abortion centers. Bush also championed "Choose Life" specialty license plates, the proceeds from which went to pro-life pregnancy centers in the state.

Bush opposed a ballot initiative that would have amended the state's constitution to provide $200 million over 10 years for embryonic stem cell research. And he pushed through a parental consent measure for contraception in school-based health centers. He also expanded funding for abstinence education.

Wow !! Just great ... some actual facts about Jeb Bush.  I cannot understand why some nevertrumpers fell for trump's lies about Jeb Bush and the other Presidents Bush. Trump's not fit to tie their shoelaces.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2016, 02:29:19 am »
Wow !! Just great ... some actual facts about Jeb Bush.  I cannot understand why some nevertrumpers fell for trump's lies about Jeb Bush and the other Presidents Bush. Trump's not fit to tie their shoelaces.

Correlation is not causation.

The sun shined during Hussein's presidency, too.  Doesn't mean he had much to do with it.

There were few states that were NOT doing well during the years that Bush was Florida governor.  And "place-holders" generally do not prove competency, one way or another.

There are great mayors, governors, Presidents.  There are incompetent and destructive mayors, governors, Presidents.  And then there are placeholders.  Things were in good shape when they got in and they did little to wreck it.

Bubba, for example, was a placeholder.  With Reagan four years earlier having set a solid course, and with the Republican Congress...there was little for him to do, other than play with cigars.  When he got bored with that and had his DoJ sue Microsoft...that sent serious ripples through the dot-com sector; and THAT sent ripples through all the economy.

Until then, Clinton basically kept the seat warm.  There were good things going on; but he had next to nothing to do with them.

JEB! also.

geronl

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2016, 02:55:52 am »
Jeb Bush launched his campaign saying he didn't need conservatives.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2016, 03:00:20 am »

A "placeholder" that led the fight for school choice and broke the teachers union hold in Florida.

A "placeholder" that cut nearly $20 billion in taxes and reduced the size of the State government by 10%.

A "placeholder" that banned late term abortions in the State, championed and passed the "Parental Notification Act" mandating doctors to notify parents of a minor at least 48 hours before terminating a pregnancy.

A "placeholder" that ended Affirmative Action in government contracts and college admissions in the State.

A " placeholder" championed and signed the nation's first "stand your ground" law and received top ratings from the NRA.

Do we need more placeholders like that in government, or less?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:50:18 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2016, 03:04:37 am »
I respectfully disagree. Pence did not participate during the primary process. If Trump drops out, Cruz is the man. RNC members have put themselves in an untenable position, and it started over a year ago. Their support of open primaries and not taking control of debates led to the position they're in now.
Logically, when the first place person is disqualified, or can't perform, the second place person should get the title.

Unfortunately, the poison pills shotgunned at Cruz by the Trump campaign and his supporters may be words too vicious and vitriolic for them to eat. Many of that crowd are virulently anti-Cruz, having drunk deeply at the Kool-aid concession.

What all that will have done, in the event that someone else is chosen, will be to have robbed Cruz, first through lies and slander, and then out of the viciousness generated thereby, of the nomination--twice in one year.

As for the GOP, I expect massive defections to be official by the end of the year.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2016, 03:05:01 am »
Hi fellas! what're ya talking about?

@skeeter

ROFLMAO! Good one!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2016, 03:05:55 am »
Jeb Bush launched his campaign saying he didn't need conservatives.

Same as Trump did.

Why is it so many Americans are in want of a monarchy with a bloodline dynasty? 

I guess scripture already tells us that human nature desires a king of men to rule them.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2016, 03:06:59 am »
My hunch is he will drop out in late October, just weeks before the election.

@libertybele

I agree. He will want to make damn sure there is no chance of anyone taking his place and having enough time to mount a campaign and win.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2016, 03:08:18 am »
I could live with Pence at the top of the ticket. I wouldn't even need to hold my nose.

@AbaraXas

If the RNC gets to do the picking,get ready to say "Hello and welcome back,JEB!'

geronl

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2016, 03:15:00 am »
Jeb distanced himself from conservatives from the start and spent $140 million of other peoples money to end up with a used brown Pinto and an "Please applaud" sign from an old TV game show.

He got 4 delegates. 1 in Iowa and 3 in New Hampshire. He only got 7.8% in South Carolina, barely coming in fourth place ahead of Kasich.

4!

:silly:

Unless he wants to run for Governor again his elective career is probably over.

geronl

« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2016, 03:15:55 am »
@AbaraXas

If the RNC gets to do the picking,get ready to say "Hello and welcome back,JEB!'

"Welcome Back, Jeb" could be an old sit-com theme song....

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2016, 05:41:46 am »
A "placeholder" that led the fight for school choice and broke the teachers union hold in Florida.

"Led the fight?"  What's that mean?  What did he DO?  Governors don't rule by whim, like kings.  They're executives of state law and administration.

A "placeholder" that cut nearly $20 billion in taxes and reduced the size of the State government by 10%.

Governors don't raise or lower taxes and State offices are determined by the Legislative.

A "placeholder" that banned late term abortions in the State, championed and passed the "Parental Notification Act" mandating doctors to notify parents of a minor at least 48 hours before terminating a pregnancy.

The State Legislature did that.  Did JEB! in fact ask for this?  Or was he, in typical Shrub fashion, rushing to the head of the stampede and claiming that made him the leader?

A "placeholder" that ended Affirmative Action in government contracts and college admissions in the State.

State Legislature action.

A " placeholder" championed and signed the nation's first "stand your ground" law and received top ratings from the NRA.

Signed it.  Good boy.  Was an election coming up?

Do we need more placeholders like that in government, or less?

LESS.  We don't need a political elite from a family of political elites - and not one who rejects his party base, the realities of the need for secure borders; the danger of CENTRAL GOVERNMENT'S CONTROL of neighborhood schools.

This is so obvious I cannot believe I'm discussing this.  Are you paid by the House of Shrub?  Or looking to get a paid gig there?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2016, 06:08:02 am »
The Republican National Committee is weighing its options in the event Donald Trump drops out of the presidential race, ABC News' Jonathan Karl reported Wednesday.

The only options the RNC would be weighing is how far to go to keep Ted Cruz out of the picture.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:06 am »
The only options the RNC would be weighing is how far to go to keep Ted Cruz out of the picture.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
@Hoodat

I honestly believe in a fair and just world, if the first place candidate drops out, the second place person should get the nomination.

Provided, of course, that he would accept.

I can think of a couple reasons he might not. First, the campaign has seriously poisoned the well. By that, I mean that for every #nevertrump person out here, there is at least one cruzhater.

Looking at the vitriol on TOS, the vehement spew that characterizes that extreme, I question if Cruz would be able to overcome that and pull together a win, under the circumstances. By no means is that level of hatred reserved to a website or two on the internet; Donny's marketing department did a bang-up job of character assassination, and there are many as indoctrinated as the 13 year old troops ours encountered shortly before VE day. It is as if they had known nothing else, even though many were in support of the man (allegedly) before the Primary season, and if there is any veracity to the numerous but dubious statements by Trump supporters, had also considered Cruz to be a viable choice.

There would be those who asserted loudly that Cruz only got the nod through "dirty tricks", that the MSM was in league with the GOPe and this was the plan all along, and other wild theories of sweeping conspiracy, despite the fact that the GOPe said early on that they could make deals with Trump, but not so Cruz, who stood on principle even to the point of having a one-man filibuster.

That sounds certifiably nuts, but then, so does a lot of what is already being repeated by those who are on the 'Trump Train' stoking the firebox and making steam toward perdition.

Who then for the nominee? If Pence were to get the nod, he who was not even in the Primaries would not sit well with a significant group who felt Cruz (and/or Trump) had been robbed. Oops. That won't work.

Jeb? Not unless the GOPe really wants to lose. But in third place was Kasich. He didn't drop out early, hung in there late, had the next most delegates. If Cruz didn't take the slot (for whatever reason), and Kasich did, as uninspiring as most might find that choice, they could live with themselves voting for him over Hillary. Whether Pence would stay on as veep candidate is questionable, imho he is stained Orange and it will take a while for that to wear off, if ever, despite breaking ranks to endorse the quintessential GOPe guy, Ryan.  Likely he would be replaced.

Anyway, that's how I see things developing if Trump drops out any time soon. Whether that happens or not, the GOP would be wise to have a plan in place for contingencies. If Trump waits until the 11th hour, as some of us have speculated (my bet is on Halloween--Orange, Trick-or-Treat!) they'll need it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:55:55 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2016, 07:49:12 am »
@Hoodat But in third place was Kasich. He didn't drop out early, hung in there late, had the next most delegates. If Cruz didn't take the slot (for whatever reason), and Kasich did, as uninspiring as most might find that choice, they could live with themselves voting for him over Hillary.

Kasich is a liberal too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2016, 08:14:50 am »
Kasich is a liberal too.
Yep, but he would be better accepted out of ignorance and fatigue, especially by establishment GOPe types, and the rest would be standard 'lesser evil' shtick. After the fracas so far, people might buy it, especially against her Hindness.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2016, 08:45:38 am »
Ted Cruz is looking better and better as time goes by, and the "Republican Faithful" who went along with Trump are looking more and more compromised.  The only question at this point is whether Trump is going to hang in there, continue doing what he is doing, and bring the whole GOP down with him.  Wish I could say I am sorry about it, but truthfully, the party deserves this.

Trump is the GOP presidential nominee. He's on the ballot. Cruz tried to warn everyone and that is why he made the statement; don't stay home, vote down ballot.  All these rumors and speculation are just that. There should be no question or doubt at this point of Trump's true intention.  He has been in this from the very beginning to destroy the conservative movement, destroy the GOP and give Hillary the oval office.  Of course Trump is going to hang in there and he is going to bring the whole GOP down with him.  With Hillary in office we will see the Supreme Court tilted very heavily to the left and with amnesty granted it is going to be nearly impossible for a very, very long time before we see a Republican (or whatever replaces the party) in the oval office.

RIP GOP.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2016, 08:52:54 am »
Trump is the GOP presidential nominee. He's on the ballot. Cruz tried to warn everyone and that is why he made the statement; don't stay home, vote down ballot.  All these rumors and speculation are just that. There should be no question or doubt at this point of Trump's true intention.  He has been in this from the very beginning to destroy the conservative movement, destroy the GOP and give Hillary the oval office.  Of course Trump is going to hang in there and he is going to bring the whole GOP down with him.  With Hillary in office we will see the Supreme Court tilted very heavily to the left and with amnesty granted it is going to be nearly impossible for a very, very long time before we see a Republican (or whatever replaces the party) in the oval office.

RIP GOP.
I will grant that anything but Trump remaining in for the duration is pure speculation.
As for what happens, I reckon we're going to find out.

Still, I am a contingency planner, always with a 'plan b', 'plan c', etc. It cuts down on panic in difficult situations, and no matter how remote a possibility that seems, I try to work a plan in for the worst case scenario, too. (The worst case being without a plan at all).

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2016, 09:37:19 am »
It is called sandbagging. He is sabatoging his own campaign while pretending to be a victim so he can keep his new followers loyal to his brand for his next venture... Ie, protect the downside. Right out of The Art of the Deal. He doesn't mind failing at all if it builds his brand.

@CatherineofAragon
Had you considered the very real likelihood that the GOP had this planned all along along with their even more liberal counterparts?

I've said all along that Romney was going to be called in to be the White Knight...and then fail as intended.... leaving the GOP able to look at America and say "Hey we tried" and the illusion of two parties continues on.

Because most Americans are functionally incapable of a principled vote or an intelligent decision.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2016, 12:13:51 pm »

@CatherineofAragon
Had you considered the very real likelihood that the GOP had this planned all along along with their even more liberal counterparts?

I've said all along that Romney was going to be called in to be the White Knight...and then fail as intended.... leaving the GOP able to look at America and say "Hey we tried" and the illusion of two parties continues on.

Because most Americans are functionally incapable of a principled vote or an intelligent decision.

@Norm Lenhart

I just don't see any way for the GOP to survive beyond this presidential election. You can bet you bippy there will be massive desertions immediately after this election,and chaos as different alliances try to form as former Republicans try to organize a new party.

The "new" Republican Party that emerges won't be any better than the one we have now,though. Chances are it will even be worse because the entire power structure will be composed of the same globalist asshats that control it now. Anybody that thinks the groups like the Bush Crime Family will just fold their tents and go back home are insane. Not only won't they do it,neither will their family "retainers" that have attached themselves to the power centers like some sort of dependent pilot fish who owe their very existence on picking up dropped crumbs. Their whole lives and all their power comes from their allegiance to their masters.

And this ain't even talking about all the alleged Republicans that will suddenly show up as Dims after switching parties. AGAIN.

What *I* see happening is one of two possibilities. The most likely one being the political elite in this country just quits pretending and takes over as the ONE party running our nation. Which is essentially where the nation has been going since Reagan stepped down and that evil bastard Poppy took office. Establishing a formal One Party Nation along Union Lines with Union/voter cards handed out to trustworthy voters (loyal serfs) is the logical next step.

The other possibility,which I see as VERY remote is the long-overdue revolution,where people who still believe in a system where the people control the government and live free,takes place,and we have a "French Revolution" where the people take over and hang the bastards where they find them,and establish a new Republic based on the one the Founding Fathers left us that we pissed away.

The biggest and most interesting coups will be within our own military,as the brass that still take their oaths to the Constitution seriously and the many,many political opportunists within the military like that asshat USMC General that supports Bubbette! butt heads for control  over the military. IF the traditionalists win,the military will safeguard their weapons,but mostly remain on their bases and stay out of any political maneuvering. If the current turds floating to the top of the cesspool created by Bush and Clinton Crime family appointments and promotions,followed by those put in charge by Bathhouse Barry,the military will end up fighting each other,and all bets are off. Hard to say what China and Russia would do in such a situation,with nobody knowing who is really in charge of the nukes and foreign policy. Unless some strong union of senior officers can step up in front  of the cameras and say that THEY are in charge of our offensive weapons,not anyone from any of the various political factions,it could get really ugly really quickly.

Which may even be what the international bankers behind all this hope for because chaos and worldwide panic would give them the authority they need to take over and establish World Wide Government,Inc,to "make us all safer".

Regardless of what happens,we are entering a new era of government. The "game" will change even if most of the "players" remain the same. HOW it changes depends on nobody but us. IF we citizens stick together and demand a new government be formed adhering to Constitutional Principles,that is what we will get and the New American Republic will rise up out of the ashes. If we do what most of us have done all our lives and "go along to get along",there will be no more Republics or individual freedoms,and we will all be cogs in the new feudal machine under World Wide Government,Inc.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:17:52 pm by sneakypete »