Author Topic: Huelskamp Loses [The GOP-E Strikes Back!]  (Read 847 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Huelskamp Loses [The GOP-E Strikes Back!]
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:49:55 am »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438625/huelskamp-loses

Representative Tim Huelskamp lost his seat Tuesday evening, falling to Dr. Roger Marshall in the Republican primary in Kansas’ 1st District. In this deep red western Kansas district, the winner of the primary is almost certain to win the seat in November.

The outcome is remarkable for its reversal of traditional roles in Republican politics: For the first time, the incumbent is the fire-breathing conservative, and the challenger who ousted him is has the backing of the establishment. The race was a blowout. Many Republicans saw the race as a dead heat heading into primary day, but Marshall held a 57 percent to 43 percent lead over Huelskamp when the Associated Press called the race with 72 percent of precincts reporting.

Huelskamp’s imminent demise had become evident much earlier in the evening: Various groups backing Marshall claimed victory, and Huelskamp, according to the AP, kicked reporters out of his election night watch party around 8 p.m. central time. Certainly, the result is a warning shot to the Freedom Caucus and other conservatives in congress: A primary challenge can cut both ways.

But as I wrote earlier today, Huelskamp was a target for a lot of reasons unique to him.  His vote against the Farm Bill for ideological reasons might have won another representative points for conservatism, but it did not play well in his heavily agricultural district. Many Republican voters like to see their representatives bucking House leadership, but Huelskamp lost his spot on the Agriculture Committee as a result, leaving his district without representation on a crucial committee.

Some people, quite simply, disliked him. And the insider versus outsider, conservative versus establishment dynamic is not so clear cut these days. As recently as April, the Club for Growth and the Ricketts family, for instance, were on the same team backing Ted Cruz against Donald Trump. This Kansas primary split them: the Club spent heavily for Huelskamp, while Ending Spending Action Fund — to which the Ricketts’ are major donors — backed Marshall.

Huelskamp, in an interview Monday, attacked House GOP leadership, alleging that “Never before…has a conservative been taken on by folks that are tied closely to leadership in the House and Senate,” and predicted that his primary would “make it more difficult” for House leadership moving forward. Former Virginia representative and National Republican Congressional Committee chairman Tom Davis had a similar take Monday, saying he “wouldn’t be surprised to see some retaliation” from the Freedom Caucus and their allies if Huelskamp lost.

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Huelskamp Loses [The GOP-E Strikes Back!]
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:14 am »
This was the GOP establishment sending a warning to anyone else who does not bow and kiss their ring.  They will outspend you by millions and crush you with slander.  They've learned well from their guy Trump.

We need a new party.

Mean while the Trumper who challenged Tim Walberg in my district got crushed.

Another story nodding toward Ted Cruz as coming out on top when all is said and done.

The Trump-Khan fight might not be good for Republicans. But it could be good for one Republican.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/01/the-trump-khan-fight-may-not-be-good-for-republicans-but-it-might-be-good-for-one-republican/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:10:50 am »
Instead of blaming the GOPe could it be that the people of his district wasn't happy with him?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:12:54 am »
Instead of blaming the GOPe could it be that the people of his district wasn't happy with him?

No, Ryan and McCarthy went after Huelskamp with a vengeance for helping oust Boehner.  This is clear payback.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 11:24:28 am »
No.  He was outspent 10 to 1 or worse.  Ads were taken out that completely misrepresented him.  He was targeted by the GOP leadership.

Sorry, I'm a bit older fashion. I blame the candidate for not winning.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:56 pm »

That's certainly been true over the last few elections as it will with this one.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »
That's certainly been true over the last few elections as it will with this one.

Exactly. To me it is the candidate that has to get the vote. People here can blame Paul Ryan or the 'GOPe' but in reality the people in his district didn't like the work he did. Therefore he was voted out.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:59:36 pm »
Huelskamp's always been a cry-baby.  Maybe his constituents decided to elect a grown-up:

Huelskamp blames "outside money" for loss

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Huelskamp-blames-outside-money-for-loss-389041152.html
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 01:00:03 pm »

Exactly. To me it is the candidate that has to get the vote. People here can blame Paul Ryan or the 'GOPe' but in reality the people in his district didn't like the work he did. Therefore he was voted out.

Right...that's the way it's suppose to work.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »
Right...that's the way it's suppose to work.

That is why Eric Cantor lost..  I'm find with it.. Just because a person is a leader in Congress or part of special caucus doesn't mean they special privilege.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 01:08:59 pm »
Huelskamp's always been a cry-baby.  Maybe his constituents decided to elect a grown-up:

Huelskamp blames "outside money" for loss

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Huelskamp-blames-outside-money-for-loss-389041152.html

To be honest the Cry baby act is getting old.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 01:47:21 pm »
That's good.  Still, I'm beginning to think no more of the GOP than I do of the Democrats, except for a shrinking few.  With Huelskamp gone, there will be one less Republican in the House that I can trust and respect.  The leadership thugs are the enemy of conservatives.  They won't fight the democrats, but they will fight the conservatives in their own party.

Great observation. The UniParty continues to reign supreme inside the Beltway.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 05:07:39 pm »
No, Ryan and McCarthy went after Huelskamp with a vengeance for helping oust Boehner.  This is clear payback.

While this is true, the Trump fanatics on various fora are celebrating and rejoicing that this is 'payback' for endorsing Cruz over Trump - and they eagerly hope and work to ensure anyone who supported Cruz and not Trump is "punished", some unhinged nuts even going as far as suggesting that their homes should be firebombed as a warning to all Republicans who will not support Trump.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 05:17:07 pm »
Once again the anti-conservative GOP demonstrates they don't want constitutional conservatives in their midst.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 05:18:00 pm »

Unfortunately old fashioned has no place in modern politics. You can have the best, smartest, most able and hard working candidate in the world, and they will still live and die by the advertising. You don't go out and 'get' votes today, you get it thru the persona that's projected in the media advertising. And unless you are very lucky, that advertising will be very expensive.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 05:18:36 pm »
There's a lot in the news about whether Dr. Marshall, an obstetrician, is indeed pro-life. One source only below, one finds contrary write-ups as well.  Of course, he claims he is very pro-life.

Dear Pro-Life Voters in the Big 1st--

According to Trust Women, a PAC connected to the clinic that was once Kansas' most notorious third-trimester abortion house of horrors, physician Roger Marshall is NOT pro life.

Marshall campaigns otherwise. On a campaign website, Marshall lists himself as a staunchly pro-life candidate who "will oppose any efforts ever to use taxpayer funding for abortions."

That's not the story Trust Women is selling. The clinic's foundation, according to its website is a "leading pro-choice and reproductive justice foundation based in Wichita, Kansas." It's "about us" section is signed by Dr. Julie Burkhard, the abortion provider who replaced the late Dr. George Tiller.

The organization boasts a network of physicians across the country willing to perform abortions.

"Many clinics in smaller or hostile markets rely on doctors who travel to clinics to provide care...We help clinics and physicians fight legal challenges, provide them with messaging, communications and advertising support and help with administrative staff support... We use a door-to-door program to identify supporters in our area. One of our biggest challenges is finding new voices in these communities. Face-to-face outreach is the most effective way to garner new support...we create and implement a community outreach through events, phone banking and canvassing in all the communities in which we do work."

http://www.insideksgop.com/2016/07/is-dr-marshall-pro-abortion-this-clinic_29.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 05:23:33 pm »
One poll from a few weeks ago showed Huelskamp down by 10 percentage points or so.

Marshall said he and his wife were gearing up for a late night Tuesday after polling showed the race between himself and Huelskamp to be close. Instead, the margin of victory was 13 percentage points and 13,500 votes.

“I’m shocked,” Marshall said. “All of our internal polling had us up one or two percent.”

http://cjonline.com/news/2016-08-02/roger-marshall-unseats-rep-tim-huelskamp-bitter-republican-primary

That's quite a margin of victory.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 05:41:51 pm »
It might have come down to farmer subsidies; as much as one doesn't like those things, it may be important to voters.

In Kansas, where farm subsidies are key, you don’t mess with agriculture.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2016/0803/In-Kansas-Republican-romance-with-tea-party-sours

Yes, we want a strict constitutionalist; but at times, just that doesn't work in the real world.

They said the two basically had the same outlook on virtually every issue.

At that, I'm sorry Huelskamp was on the losing end.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:43:06 pm by TomSea »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 05:48:07 pm »
Unfortunately old fashioned has no place in modern politics. You can have the best, smartest, most able and hard working candidate in the world, and they will still live and die by the advertising. You don't go out and 'get' votes today, you get it thru the persona that's projected in the media advertising. And unless you are very lucky, that advertising will be very expensive.

Sorry it has happened before the candidates with the most money does lose.. It could be that the people in his district didn't like him anymore, therefore they gave him the boot. I thought we Conservatives believed in personal responsibility...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 06:01:28 pm »

Sorry it has happened before the candidates with the most money does lose.. It could be that the people in his district didn't like him anymore, therefore they gave him the boot. I thought we Conservatives believed in personal responsibility...

Huelskamp didn't sound like he had the most money, by a longshot. And those with the most money rarely lose, that's why incumbents return to office at such a high percentage, when they aren't outspent themselves that is.

Money can create whatever perception you want, and manipulate people into thinking that they don't like that candidate.

If a tornado comes along and destroys my house, should I sit down and blow my brains out because it's obviously my fault and I should take personal responsibility for it?
The Republic is lost.

geronl

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 06:05:41 pm »
Trump has been terrible for conservatives in the primary

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »
Huelskamp didn't sound like he had the most money, by a longshot. And those with the most money rarely lose, that's why incumbents return to office at such a high percentage, when they aren't outspent themselves that is.

Money can create whatever perception you want, and manipulate people into thinking that they don't like that candidate.

If a tornado comes along and destroys my house, should I sit down and blow my brains out because it's obviously my fault and I should take personal responsibility for it?

Well maybe if he spent more time representing his district and less time stabbing fellow party members in the back he would have won..

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 06:21:01 pm »

Well maybe if he spent more time representing his district and less time stabbing fellow party members in the back he would have won..

I'm not sure there's a causal connection there.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:59 pm »
https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/08/rock-bottom-establishment-money-and-lies-beats-conservative-warrior-in-kansas

Not only has every incumbent RINO been reelected in this “year of the outsider.” Not only has almost every open seat gone to the yes-men for K Street and GOP leadership. One of the few brave conservative incumbents in the House has just been defeated by a shill for the big government lobbyists who lied to voters and ran as a conservative. Thus, the only incumbent to be defeated this year was Tim Huelskamp, R-Ks. (A, 91%) in Kansas’s First District. You read that right: the only incumbent to go down in this glorious “populist” revolution is one of the fiercest fighters against this rigged political system.

While everyone is a big hero now and ridicules John Boehner as a failure, Huelskamp was literally the first member to stand up to him. Now the lobbyists know how to pick our lock and will pick off the few remaining members who dare to defy those in the party who want to do nothing more than play interference for Democrats...

Folks, at some point we need to stop exemplifying the definition of insanity. What we are doing is not working. The party runs candidates with tons of money who lie about who they are and smear our people as political insiders who are anything but true conservatives. The waters are so muddied that the candidate with the most money and lobbyist support wins.

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/08/rock-bottom-establishment-money-and-lies-beats-conservative-warrior-in-kansas#sthash.idqjsHpT.dpuf

^^^THIS!^^^

Marshall beat a Huelskamp with the exact type of dishonest message that Trump used to beat Cruz!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:28:22 pm by Eowyn »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:29 pm »
Chamber of Commerce chairman promised during a speech to the Freshman class Huelskamp was part of that his organization would work to defeat any Representative who didn't support their agenda.

Looks like Tom Donahue is making good on that promise.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!