Author Topic: The Nuclear Option: Ted Cruz Loves Himself More Than Our Country  (Read 8961 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: The Nuclear Option: Ted Cruz Loves Himself More Than Our Country
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 01:10:02 pm »
The fact is the "nevers" are going away. There is nothing to fight for anymore. It maybe be weeks or even months but there is no rational reason remaining to try to sabotage Trump anymore unless they are really working for the democrats.

Plenty of rational reasons to still oppose Trump.  Most importantly, to send the message that America rejects fascism.  But also to lay the groundwork for re-claiming the GOP.   Trumpism is going to be repudiated this fall, and those who supported him exposed as shills, cynics or fools.   Cruz and Kasich have put their asses on the line for liberty and the Constitution.  I, in my small way as a patriotic ordinary American, will proudly do the same.

I will not be a good German.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 01:10:27 pm »
It is not Cruz.  It is simply conscience.  Conservatism practiced accurately, is conscience.

Cruz simply reiterated it.

The yelping and mewling only come from the ones that feel the pain of disobedience to their own, oft stated values.

And all of this is philosophical thought,

This is why I prefer Governors as candidates, like Perry, Walker, Pence, they are men in action.

All of this other talk is more down Washington DC Senator's alleys, sit around in committee rooms, and make statements.

Words are good, the Constitution needs to be followed but the practical use is limited.

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 01:14:04 pm »
Words are good, the Constitution needs to be followed but the practical use is limited.

Everyone with a classical education will immediately latch on to this and facepalm or shake their head.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 01:14:18 pm »
Plenty of rational reasons to still oppose Trump.  Most importantly, to send the message that America rejects fascism.  But also to lay the groundwork for re-claiming the GOP.   Trumpism is going to be repudiated this fall, and those who supported him exposed as shills, cynics or fools.   Cruz and Kasich have put their asses on the line for liberty and the Constitution.  I, in my small way as a patriotic ordinary American, will proudly do the same.

Trumpism will be repudiated this fall just like Romneyism.  Similar situation.

I admire a Rubio who is being loyal to the party.

Calling people fascists is just calling them bad words, no proof, not an iota, if you have crazy followers, you have them in all camps. If Trump didn't win the nomination and Cruz did, he would get the same kind of followers, anyone with secured borders will have some of those.

This also says people like Pence, Palin, Buchanan, Huckabee, the many supporting Trump do not know better.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 01:14:59 pm »
Everyone with a classical education will immediately latch on to this and facepalm or shake their head.

Thanks for the one-liner. That explains a lot.

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 01:15:06 pm »
The very first line is a lie. Trump said in a tweet that he vetted the speech.  Why should anyone read any further?

Nice catch, LilLamb!
Mixed-race Mutt.

Online Mod2

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »
Is everyone following the venerable internet suggestion of counting to ten (or 20 or....) before hitting "Post"?

Let's try that.

Online LMAO

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 01:19:17 pm »
Anywere, beyond the primary season, were he has fought the establishment regardless of success or failure in doing such. Great deals with Schumer and Pelosi and liking the ObamaCare mandate is hardly anti establishment.

Yet, still no answer :shrug:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 01:21:12 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »
Mine is fine, I support the American.

Funny, likely coming from an offshore contractor working for the Trump campaign.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:05 pm »
Several facts you got wrong.
1 it was way more then NY, it was Texas booing him too as well as all the others.

Let's say you are right, that still does not answer my question --- if Trump meets the criteria Cruz outlined, why should it not be considered an indirect endorsement of Trump?
Why the boo?

2. The time for petty vindictive vetting is over. There is no end game possible where it matters other then to help Hilary.

Cruz was NOT being vindictive by appearing on stage, congratulating Trump and not saying anything bad about him. I see the speech as an exhortation to everyone ( Trump inclued ) not to forget conservative principles.

If (God forbid) Trump loses to Hillary, it will not be because of Cruz, it will be because of Trump himself.

3. Your saw what you wanted to see. People versed in Lawyer/politician games saw a self centered politician trying to set himself up to run for president in 2020 and trying to sabotage the nominee. He went way beyond his 7 min speech. Several People there tweeted he was off his speech. He was campaigning again and then tried to stick a knife in with a dog-whistle to people like you. Deny it all you want. The fact even his own delegates there saw it should wake you up.

Nope, what I saw is correct and these so called "well-versed" people are wrong.

The facts are:

1) Cruz's speech was submitted long before he appeared
2) Trump and the RNC approved and cleared the speech
3) Cruz graciously congratulated Trump
4) Cruz spoke about conservative principles
5) Cruz exhorted the Republicans to vote for these principles.

IF Trump truly met those Principles, the right response should be to say to yourself (if you are a Trump supporter ) "Yes, that's Donald Trump he is talking about."

That they booed him instead tells me what a large number of Republicans have become.

That the crowd would later applaud Paypal Co-funder Peter Thiel, who openly declared that he was gay ( why the heck do you have to tell the world what your bedroom preferences are? ) and whose company abandoned plans to open a facility in North Carolina because the governor signed a reasonable Transgender bathroom law, tells me EVEN MORE what the Republican Party has become. The boo's simply cemented my suspicion.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:27:28 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:20 pm »
Is everyone following the venerable internet suggestion of counting to ten (or 20 or....) before hitting "Post"?

Let's try that.

Directed at who?  This has been one of the more cordial threads.

I've already been cursed at by an admin, I've already given this place a second chance.
Mixed-race Mutt.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:34 pm »

On my morning drive to work, I was listening to Mark Davis on AM 660, The (Wrong) Answer.

His stance has been for weeks that it's all about beating Hillary. Ok, I can understand that, but when that's your main premise for supporting Trump, I'm not convinced.

While trying to hedge his position with his audience that remains firmly with Cruz, Mark unwittingly gave Hillary the most cogent and simple reason for keeping Trump out of the White House. Mark's own words: Trump has a 9 YO boy trapped inside of him.

Do we really want a 9YO boy so close to the nuclear football?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2016, 01:27:16 pm »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2016, 01:29:43 pm »

I've already been cursed at by an admin, I've already given this place a second chance.

Okay, well, if we are telling our stories, I have come under numerous personal attacks just for being loyal to the party and not even being a strict Trump backer, so touche.

"Everyone with a classical education will immediately latch on to this and facepalm or shake their head."

This statement is just a put down as well.

Debate with maybe 25% of the anti-Trumpsters is an invitation to insult.

So, again, it be me or whomever, let's not ride on our high horses.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2016, 01:35:01 pm »

:amen:  Very well stated.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2016, 01:35:09 pm »
Let's say you are right, that still does not answer my question --- if Trump meets the criteria Cruz outlined, why should it not be considered an indirect endorsement of Trump?
Why the boo?

Cruz was NOT being vindictive by appearing on stage, congratulating Trump and not saying anything bad about him. I see the speech as an exhortation to everyone ( Trump inclued ) not to forget conservative principles.

If (God forbid) Trump loses to Hillary, it will not be because of Cruz, it will be because of Trump himself.

Nope, what I saw is correct and these so called "well-versed" people are wrong.

The facts are:

1) Cruz's speech was submitted long before he appeared
2) Trump and the RNC approved and cleared the speech
3) Cruz graciously congratulated Trump
4) Cruz spoke about conservative principles
5) Cruz exhorted the Republicans to vote for these principles.

IF Trump truly met those Principles, the right response should be to say to yourself (if you are a Trump supporter ) "Yes, that's Donald Trump he is talking about."

That they booed him instead tells me what a large number of Republicans have become.

That the crowd would later applaud Paypal Co-funder Peter Thiel, who openly declared that he was gay ( why the heck do you have to tell the world what your bedroom preferences are? ) and whose company abandoned plans to open a facility in North Carolina because the governor signed a reasonable Transgender bathroom law, tells me EVEN MORE what the Republican Party has become. The boo's simply cemented my suspicion.

Cruz also voluntarily removed his name from the convention ballot, where he could have raised far more of a stink and perhaps embarrassed Trump, similarly to how Trump and the GOPe attempted to embarrass him.

For me this entire campaign season has only served to highlight how few allies we have in the cause of returning this messed up nation to the Constitutional based system we once had. And its pretty demoralizing.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2016, 01:36:49 pm »
Don't be sucked in by what is just self-centered, smug, self-righteousness a la Nelson Rockefeller. More similar to what happened in 1964.

That would be the comparison to Cruz, vs. someone being loyal to the party like Rubio.

Like the Senators who mainly have words as their accomplishments; engage in moral platitudes.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:38:18 pm by TomSea »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:52 pm »
Don't be sucked in by what is just self-centered, smug, self-righteousness a la Nelson Rockefeller. More similar to what happened in 1964.

Like the Senators who mainly have words as their accomplishments; engage in moral platitudes.

Please. Anyone who knows anything about Nelson Rockefeller, his politics and his place within the GOP establishment understands just how utterly ridiculous your comparing Cruz to him is.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2016, 01:43:21 pm »

Exactly how are you rejecting fascism by helping the democrats defeat the GOP ticket? And what alternate reality are you living in that you think we can reclaim anything after 4 more years of Obama and liberal as hell Supreme Court with open borders and Islamic terrorists in the millions inside our borders?

Here's a fact for ya, Trump supporters voted for Liberty and the Constitution.  So did the Delegates at the Convention. What angers us is people like you claiming we did not vote our conscious for the Constitution and for Liberty in voting for Trump. The fact is its your side with the 100% record of being wrong so far yet you still push the lies about Trump and insult the Americans who have supported Trump.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »
This whole thing is beginning to piss me off.

It is as if I've gone on the family vacation and the 2 little boys, named Trump and Cruz, are in the back seat, and they start picking on one another.

I have to pull the car over and say,"Don't make me come back there!"

Inevitably, the will point to one another and say "He started it", and I will have to say, "you'd better knock it off, or I'm going to finish it".

If they don't, they both will get the outcome nobody wants, an HRC presidency.

Brietbart ain't helping.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:47:42 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2016, 01:49:37 pm »
Please. Anyone who knows anything about Nelson Rockefeller, his politics and his place within the GOP establishment understands just how utterly ridiculous your comparing Cruz to him is.

Well, when people are comparing whether Reagan endorsed Ford, I did not see everyone raising their voices and saying "you can't compare Reagan to Cruz", comparisons happen.

COMPARISON IS 1964 to 2016 as some compared 2016 to 1976, "Did Reagan endorse Ford",
so are we saying this is a comparison of Reagan to Cruz? I'll make sure I raise an objection everytime that is done.

This just quells the conversation and I'm sorry, comparisons happen, Trump vs. Hillary, Trump to Cruz, when people compare Trump to Cruz, where is the chorus saying "You can't compare Trump to Cruz", this is silliness and a cheap response.

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2016, 01:50:34 pm »
Okay, well, if we are telling our stories, I have come under numerous personal attacks just for being loyal to the party and not even being a strict Trump backer, so touche.

Arguments with individuals that have no power equals threats and swearing from administration.

Once again proving Trumpists have no grasp of reality.
Mixed-race Mutt.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2016, 01:52:05 pm »

This is aggravating, I'm sorry, I don't see everytime someone said "Did Reagan endorse Ford in 1976" as saying "How dare you compare Cruz to Reagan".

It's a way to get out of a conversation. I'm saying this twice but it truly is contemptible to have to continuously address this.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2016, 01:52:58 pm »

Yeah. I hear that. There was a very unfortunate, no, shameful (THERE! I SAID IT!) episode and that toothpaste cannot be put back in the tube. My take is that was the polar opposite of the culture that is supposed to define this place.

istm that things have settled down and hopefully that was a one off. I sure hope so. Because I will not be returning to FR and I do feel I have a home here.

Peace out.