Author Topic: The Nuclear Option: Ted Cruz Loves Himself More Than Our Country  (Read 9015 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: The Nuclear Option: Ted Cruz Loves Himself More Than Our Country
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2016, 02:26:14 pm »
I haven't read all four pages of posts yet so maybe this was addressed, but where in Cruz's speech did he make it about himself? Can someone cite the line or statement?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2016, 02:27:31 pm »
So, Skeeter says Rubio endorsed Trump, Cruz did not and one can not compare the two Senators.

Okay, this logic should be seen by all.

Incidentally, once this is all over I would love to know how much of Trump's campaign focused on social media was outsourced to non-english speaking countries.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ted Cruz and the Trump Takeover - Patrick J. Buchanan
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »
Ted Cruz and the Trump Takeover by Patrick J. Buchanan

The self-righteousness and smugness of Ted Cruz in refusing to endorse Donald Trump, then walking off stage in Cleveland, smirking amidst the boos, takes the mind back in time.

At the Cow Palace in San Francisco in July of 1964, Gov. Nelson Rockefeller, having been defeated by Barry Goldwater, took the podium to introduce a platform plank denouncing “extremism.”

Implication: Goldwater’s campaign is saturated with extremists.

Purpose: Advertise Rocky’s superior morality.

Smug and self-righteous, Rocky brayed at the curses and insults, “It’s a free country, ladies and gentlemen.”

Rocky was finished. He would never win the nomination.

More At: http://buchanan.org/blog/ted-cruz-trump-takeover-125466

I will go with Nixon and Reagan speechwriter, advisor Pat Buchanan. He must have some sort of expertise in this.

Cruz won't be coming back, many Cruz supporters don't understand people vote for candidates with accomplishments, action, not just words like Rand Paul or Ted Cruz, DC Senators.

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Ted Cruz and the Trump Takeover - Patrick J. Buchanan
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »

Cruz won't be coming back, many Cruz supporters don't understand people vote for candidates with accomplishments, action, not just words like Rand Paul or Ted Cruz, DC Senators.

Exactly how much can you accomplish when:

1) You don't have much support from the leaders of your own party, who all want to get along with the other side.

2) Obama has the veto pen.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »
I haven't read all four pages of posts yet so maybe this was addressed, but where in Cruz's speech did he make it about himself? Can someone cite the line or statement?
Start with one of the Texas delegates, she/he confronted Cruz as saying this matter was bigger than just Ted, Heidi and his family.  Cruz agreed it was bigger than his own family and then went through a discourse.

Huckabee Denounces Cruz As ‘Self-Absorbed Politician’ For RNC Speech

http://www.westernjournalism.com/huckabee-denounces-cruz-self-absorbed-politician/

That's for starters, those are the facts, a number of Cruz supporters like a wolfpack can then, attack Huckabee, call him a RINO or whatever, I'm just stating the facts that it has been in the news.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Ted Cruz and the Trump Takeover - Patrick J. Buchanan
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
I will go with Nixon and Reagan speechwriter, advisor Pat Buchanan. He must have some sort of expertise in this.

Pat Buchanan is an anti-semitic white nationalist.  THAT is his only expertise.  Cruz will win his reelection in Texas in 2018 and is perfectly positioned to run in the GOP primary after Trump crashes and burns in November.

Oh, and don't change the subject of the post.  It screws up the whole thread.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:38:09 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2016, 02:39:21 pm »
Meh, political campaigns are dirty and I'm not going to whine about who was meaner. It's part of the game. However, the Trump tweet comparing Heidi to Melina told me a lot about Trump and how he would govern. Not because he was picking on poor lil Heidi. But the way he responded was his first instinct. It's a pattern if how he responds to any slight. Be it how he responds to Megan Kelly, the handicapped journalist who dared write a negative article, threats to federalize libel laws against critical press ect ect

Based on that pattern, what would a President Trump do when he has access to various government agencies and someone is critical of him?

So far, all we have heard is we need to vote for him to keep Hillary out of the WH. Fair enough. I don't think anyone is under any illusion regarding Hillary. But should Trump win, and he becomes what many of us have fretted over, are we really ahead? Is simply slowing down Tyranny a better option? Is tyranny  coming from the GOP president better than one coming from a Democrat one?

If he should win, and becomes a Coolidge/Reagan/Goldwater clone, many of us who don't support him will gleefully admit our error in judgement. But I see nothing to indicate that would even remotely be the case.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline TomSea

« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2016, 02:44:42 pm »
Yes, Cruz, Paul are minority senators,

Let's see, Walker, Perry, Pence, Christie and virtually any other governor accomplish because they had supporting legislatures.

So, for all of the words, "Constitution" and if one is saying they are the only ones that follow it, they are mistaken,

These governors above worked it out with Team Work, TEAM WORK, obviously Rubio is taking one for the team;  he obviously does not love Trump's views.

I'm just mentioning Rubio, don't jump on me Cruz supporters, I'm not making a comparison, we know we can't make any comparisons to Cruz unless it is Reagan or Mark Levin.

Offline bilo

« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2016, 02:46:24 pm »
Plenty of rational reasons to still oppose Trump.  Most importantly, to send the message that America rejects fascism.  But also to lay the groundwork for re-claiming the GOP.   Trumpism is going to be repudiated this fall, and those who supported him exposed as shills, cynics or fools.   Cruz and Kasich have put their asses on the line for liberty and the Constitution.  I, in my small way as a patriotic ordinary American, will proudly do the same.

I will not be a good German.   

Likewise!

I will write in Ted Cruz on my ballot. There was nothing said last night that promotes individual liberty, limited govt, and respect for the Judeo-Christian values that were the foundation of this country. Instead we saw the take over of the GOP by the left. Govt will control wages so we will have "wage equality". We will have the fed govt provide national child care. We saw the GOP embrace as reported at Red State;

...a preacher pray for acceptance of gay marriage and suggest all gods are the same, while marginal Christians bowed their heads in agreement, rather than walking out or bursting into flames....

I see there is no place for me with these people. I believe social issues do matter. I won't embrace evil for the sake of power.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2016, 02:50:07 pm »
Yes, Cruz, Paul are minority senators,

These governors above worked it out with Team Work, TEAM WORK, obviously Rubio is taking one for the team;  he obviously does not love Trump's views.

I've always been very curious about the words -- TEAM WORK.

Many of us are frustrated at the fact that we gave Both houses of Congress to the Republicans yet we still have Obamacare, a record debt that has more than DOUBLED in 8 years, an economy that can't get off the ground and taxes as high as the eye can see...

Now let's ignore the other issues for the meantime and just take as one example ---  the promise of most of those who got elected to repeal and replace Obamacare.... Congress has the power of the purse strings, Cruz did his darned best to stop Obamacare up to and including shutting down the government.

I take it that this is NOT TEAM WORK and you don't like what he did. Fine, What would you have done if you were the Junior Senator of Texas instead?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:51:14 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »
Unvetted? The story lies three words into it. Trump himself said he read it first, as did the Trump team.

Mech I have to ask you, are you on the Hillary payroll and only posing as a Trump supporter? Because he needs us Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and even Bush fans desperately to vote for him at the end of the day, and YOU, yes you are playing the part of the Hillary shill and making sure that never happens. Think about it. Wouldn't your time be better served trying to convince us that Trump is not the boogie man? If I was a Trump supporter, I would be hoping you would shut the hell up, or change your approach, because you are not helping Trump here.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2016, 02:53:26 pm »
Start with one of the Texas delegates, she/he confronted Cruz as saying this matter was bigger than just Ted, Heidi and his family.  Cruz agreed it was bigger than his own family and then went through a discourse.
That's for starters, those are the facts, a number of Cruz supporters like a wolfpack can then, attack Huckabee, call him a RINO or whatever, I'm just stating the facts that it has been in the news.

That a Texas delegate and Mike Huckabee both challenged Cruz demonstrates precisely zero evidence that Cruz's speech was about himself.  One must reference specific items from the speech in order to make a point about the speech.  Meaningful evidence would include the number of times Cruz spoke his own name in the speech, or talked about his own experience in the speech, or contrasted his individual ideas with the ideas of others, or how many times he said "I think...".

The speech I heard Cruz give was not about himself, it was about the principles that Republicans once stood for.  I heard a rallying cry to beliefs, not to a person.  And that difference explains fundamentally the issue which prevents Republican unity in this campaign.  Notwithstanding the slogan he has put on ball caps, Trump's campaign is not about ideals or about America, it is about Trump.  Accusing Cruz of self-reference in his speech is absurd beyond the point of any serious consideration, and demonstrates the Trump camp projecting onto one who will not genuflect what it knows to be true, but cannot admit, about itself.
James 1:20

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2016, 02:55:57 pm »
That a Texas delegate and Mike Huckabee both challenged Cruz demonstrates precisely zero evidence that Cruz's speech was about himself. 

If Cruz's speech was about himself, I would like every one to point to me how many times he referred to himself in his speech. Words like "I", "Me", "My".

Those are words that Obama uses very often. So, let's have a go at it.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »
That a Texas delegate and Mike Huckabee both challenged Cruz demonstrates precisely zero evidence that Cruz's speech was about himself.  One must reference specific items from the speech in order to make a point about the speech.  Meaningful evidence would include the number of times Cruz spoke his own name in the speech, or talked about his own experience in the speech, or contrasted his individual ideas with the ideas of others, or how many times he said "I think...".

The speech I heard Cruz give was not about himself, it was about the principles that Republicans once stood for.  I heard a rallying cry to beliefs, not to a person.  And that difference explains fundamentally the issue which prevents Republican unity in this campaign.  Notwithstanding the slogan he has put on ball caps, Trump's campaign is not about ideals or about America, it is about Trump.  Accusing Cruz of self-reference in his speech is absurd beyond the point of any serious consideration, and demonstrates the Trump camp projecting onto one who will not genuflect what it knows to be true, but cannot admit, about itself.

Facts be damned.  This was a well orchestrated planned political hit, by the most despicable person in history ever to call themselves a republican.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline bilo

« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2016, 02:58:15 pm »
Cruz also voluntarily removed his name from the convention ballot, where he could have raised far more of a stink and perhaps embarrassed Trump, similarly to how Trump and the GOPe attempted to embarrass him.

For me this entire campaign season has only served to highlight how few allies we have in the cause of returning this messed up nation to the Constitutional based system we once had. And its pretty demoralizing.

It is demoralizing. I remember the carter years. At times it seemed we were doomed and would have to learn to settle for less. Then Ronald Reagan was elected.

I think regardless of who gets elected we will see a recession. We are due for one and there is nothing going on to stop it. I think this next recession will be particularly tough because the central banks can't do anything to stimulate growth and the fed govt won't be led by anyone capable of getting anything done. IOW, tough times are coming but if history holds true good times will follow.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2016, 03:02:00 pm »
Trump is speaking now and it is unbelievable- attacking Ted Cruz, talking about Melania being an elegant model - talking about Cruz's father having breakfast with Lee Harvey Oswald- this is a display of his verbal diarrhea and disorganized mind. I now believe he has gone over the bend with his narcissism. He is utterly inappropriate to be president. He is rambling like I've never seen. He needs therapy.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »
Facts be damned.  This was a well orchestrated planned political hit, by the most despicable person in history ever to call themselves a republican.

Quoting a friend from FB:

"If you stand up for your principles you will have few friends in politics."

He is right as rain!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2016, 03:04:31 pm »
Trump is speaking now and it is unbelievable- attacking Ted Cruz, talking about Melania being an elegant model - talking about Cruz's father having breakfast with Lee Harvey Oswald- this is a display of his verbal diarrhea and disorganized mind. I now believe he has gone over the bend with his narcissism. He is utterly inappropriate to be president. He is rambling like I've never seen. He needs therapy.

Right now?  Are you kidding?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2016, 03:05:20 pm »

STILL running interference for Hillary!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2016, 03:06:14 pm »
Unvetted? The story lies three words into it. Trump himself said he read it first, as did the Trump team.

Mech I have to ask you, are you on the Hillary payroll and only posing as a Trump supporter? Because he needs us Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and even Bush fans desperately to vote for him at the end of the day, and YOU, yes you are playing the part of the Hillary shill and making sure that never happens. Think about it. Wouldn't your time be better served trying to convince us that Trump is not the boogie man? If I was a Trump supporter, I would be hoping you would shut the hell up, or change your approach, because you are not helping Trump here.

We're back to the same, tired reason for voting for the GOP candidate: he's not as bad as the Democrat.

It didn't work for McCain, it didn't work for Romney, lather, Reince, repeat.

May the grass roots, the base, be damned.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2016, 03:06:39 pm »
Right now?  Are you kidding?

Exactly the words I was about to post.  Is Trump actually talking about this NOW, the day after accepting the nomination?
James 1:20

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2016, 03:06:54 pm »
  Meaningful evidence would include the number of times Cruz spoke his own name in the speech, or talked about his own experience in the speech, or contrasted his individual ideas with the ideas of others, or how many times he said "I think...".

I would love to see data that extracted first person pronouns from last night's speech and also other speeches from other people. I'll bet only Obama would be anywhere close to Trump. Or maybe professional wrasslers. And rappers.

Offline bilo

« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2016, 03:08:02 pm »
Cruz ran a dirty campaign?  vs. your slimey Orange SOB?

You just can't make this shit up.

FWIW, I have the TV on for background noise and Trump just spent 5 minutes talking about Sen. Cruz's father being involved with Lee Harvey Oswald. At some point Trump supporters have to start wondering "is this guy nuts".

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »
STILL running interference for Hillary!

A POTUS candidate attacking someone else in his own party the day after nomination?.  Someone forgot to tell the stupid orange bastard that the primaries are over.

Trump is beyond stupid.

I hope Cruz keeps piling on.    DJT can go to hell.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:09:53 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »

THIS, exactly.  Trump and his supporters can't seem to grasp this idea.  Putting down a man whose character we admire and telling us Hillary is the anti-Christ will not make us vote for Trump. Trump had the perfect chance to get our vote on Wednesday night, but orchestrating a slam on Ted Cruz and getting revenge for some perceived wrong was more important. THAT showed us Trump's character in a nutshell.  Ya'll need to just throw away your broken record of Cruz hate and boogeyman Hillary.  I wasn't a firm never trump until after Wednesday night. I'm more scared of Trump and his syncophants running this country in the false name of conservatism than I am of Hillary right now.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan