Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - THURSDAY, JULY 21  (Read 42095 times)

Offline politicalwit

• MedRecruiterUSA, LLC
Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - THURSDAY, JULY 21
« Reply #775 on: July 22, 2016, 05:33:16 am »
He said he was going to outline his plan for America.  How long must I wait for that?

The "Plan" will be presented in hardback in January 2017. Entitled "The Art of the Plan" will be $35,000 per volume (shipping and handling excluded) and will include a bogus signature of the King as will as a pull-out diploma (suitable for framing). Just like healthcare insurance, purchase is mandatory.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #776 on: July 22, 2016, 05:44:36 am »
        Dana Loesch Verified account @DLoesch

Who is doing the music at the RNC? Stones’s “You Can’t Always Get What You Want?”

Awkward?
Actually I think they played that so that when the acolytes start wondering what happened when Trump doesn't deliver on his promises he can say but weren't you listening I told you right up front at the convention!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #777 on: July 22, 2016, 05:45:08 am »
Try #2 or something between #1 and #2.

Really. 

Your last line about not warranted, inflammatory and intended to cause aggravation is exactly what I read into the vast majority of posters on this thread who whined for three nights about Trump.

But then I don't take people who act like this to seriously.
seriously? where is that---oh, you meant "too seriously". Silly me, I get it.

Actually, personal insults here should be kept to a minimum, candidates and public figures are fair game.
As for "whining", no, but I guess you can't hear my tone of voice--nor, for that matter, that of the other posters. Many of us are aggravated, even disappointed, in the way events have come to pass. It is no secret that of the 16 candidates on the list, the fellow who got the nomination was not very high on our list as a rule, and falling fast as the primaries progressed. Not all here feel that way, by any means, but that is no reason to attack those who do, and not on a personal level. Feel free to contest facts (preferably with facts and sources). It makes for much more fulfilling discussion.

Bill, "I know you are but what am I?" arguments don't play well here.

I could recommend a site where they do, but they are all in the bag for the orange comb over, and I doubt you would have as much fun trying to provoke anyone over there--unless, of course, you said something bad about Trump or said something nice about Cruz, but they'd likely summarily ban you for that.

We have been having a conversation about someone we feel only warrants our contempt, and not our vote (who is only one of those many of us do not feel is appropriate for the job of POTUS), and who has repeatedly evinced a tendency toward, if not actually participated in what we consider "foul play".
That same person has given numerous indications that they wish for more government, will implement foreign policies which will piss off our allies, has leaned toward support for those who support our enemies, and a host of other behaviours we find unsavory. This person's veracity in matters of domestic policy is in question, and the campaign conduct of that individual only increased that level of distrust. You need not join in the discussion if you find it offensive.

There are 'safe spaces' on this forum set aside for all the manly Trump supporters who are upset by dissent.  On the official convention thread, you could have been free of any angst which you may have experienced by that dissent, and by our reiteration of the (at least to us) glaring foibles, sins, and misconceptions about conservative policy harbored by the GOP nominee this year.

In keeping with forum rules, we lambaste that candidate whenever we feel inclined, and that, I must warn you, is often.

Especially on the "open" convention threads, which you have had the joy of experiencing these last three nights. We, out of a fine sense of compromise, generally avoid posting on the "official" (Trump supporter) convention threads, for the sake of not pissing each other off. It works, even if it has some Jim Crow undertones. At least we can all drink from the same water fountain.

There are also other areas of interest, not just politics, and feel free to check them out. I noticed your sign up date, but relative lack of posts, so I have a suspicion you signed up but just haven't been around all that much. Correct me if I'm wrong, some folks like to lurk a while before they engage in posting, but maybe you have just been doing other things.

Have a nice evening. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #778 on: July 22, 2016, 05:47:36 am »
The speech and delivery both stunk.
I think Ted is living in his head, rent free.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #779 on: July 22, 2016, 05:48:00 am »
Roughly 700 posts here from 50-60 posters and 30-plus guests...

...versus 250 posts from about 8-12 posters and less than ten guests.

:tongue2:

We winz!

We do indeed!  Really, how many times can people say stuff like 'he hit it out of the park' over and over again.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #780 on: July 22, 2016, 05:49:41 am »
Ah such pain you are in.  You know I am in the 3rd grade, that's kind of silly don't you think?

As to lies you need to ask Ben Carson what he thinks of lying Ted.

And as the other poster asked you, do you read your own stuff?

Why don't you ask Ben what he thought about Trump calling him psychotic and comparing him to a child molester?

Huh, huh?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #781 on: July 22, 2016, 06:01:48 am »

BzzzzT.  Trick question.  They both did.

Or rather, Trump was quoting Benito..

Kelo = Corporatism
Benito said it first! :tongue2:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #782 on: July 22, 2016, 06:02:36 am »
Is this for real???

Trump boinking Pence or is it supposed to be Pence carrying Trump?  WTF?  They couldn't come up with a better logo than this?
I thought it was a reach around. I understand they changed it.

C S Lewis

Offline politicalwit

• MedRecruiterUSA, LLC
« Reply #783 on: July 22, 2016, 06:04:20 am »
Oh hurts so bad, no my mommy doesn't know I am on the computer.  She has been dead for over 10 years and would be 113 years old a little later this year.

How about yours?

That means she can vote for the Democrat...wait, it means she can vote for one of the two democrats on the ticket.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #784 on: July 22, 2016, 06:32:54 am »
I got home from work late.  I read this whole thread, then I decided to dive into a video of Ivanka's speech. Ya'll that speech was bizarre. Even what ya'll had written didn't prepare me for seeing that train wreck. How was she not booed off the stage from the start with that I'm not a Republican or a Democrat crap?  It was a Democrat's speech for Democrats. Seriously, Chelsea can just plagiarize that sucker and read it for Mom next week and get the same cheers from the Rat convention crowd. 

I just can't face the Donald's speech tonight.  This is the twilight zone. I spent the day arguing with my brothers who have turned into pod people because they are so skeered of Hilary. Well, I'm here to tell you I'm more skeered of what my brothers have turned into than I could ever be of Hilary. Good night all.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #785 on: July 22, 2016, 06:56:24 am »
Trump's Castro-like manifesto tonight made it very certain that there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between the GOP, the Democrats OR Hillary.

That HE ALONE can fix the country - and HE can stop corporations from moving out of the country and firing their employees is every bit a Fascist and dictatorial as Benito Mussolini's prescription for Italy in 1922 was.

Now because the historical reference is offensive to the snowflakes who worship the Orange One - I imagine that they will report it and I will again be forced to edit the comment.

However, when you compare some of the speeches of Benito in the early 20s with what we heard tonight from Trump - and your hair should stand on end.

Little difference, as I suspected - from when Trumpy went all Nixonian on us and started with the character assassinations.  The more I looked, the more HE looks like a fake, a fraud, a political Kim Kardashian.  Supported by others; in his case, by legitimate developers who used Donnie as an interface with Tammany.

Being a bagman can pay very well, apparently.  I give Donnie props for being able to make his fortune out of it and even put a respectable veneer on it.

But, THIS.  Not only does Trump not have Secret Answers that the rest of us don't; he doesn't even know what most educated conservatives DO know.  The secret to getting the economy back on track is THE INDIVIDUAL.

The economy is stagnant, is retracting, because millions of individuals are unsure about their future and cannot plan - logical expectations of what will come, can be weighed, when the variables are known.  Such as technological progress or political unrest.

What can NOT be planned for, is the caprices of government commissars who can ORDER products banned or subsidized, or redesigned to fit the emotional needs of the commissar or the one he works for.

So the economy is paralyzed. 

Because the political situation is that of a creeping tyranny - property rights, including the rights to keep the results of one's labor, are no longer protected.  Extralegal action by elected officials, yes and ESPECIALLY social-engineer fake-judges, is the norm now.  Rights are a political football - some rights are more protected than others, which are ignored and trampled on.

Donnie, in the end...his mouth is writing a check his knowledge and future options cannot cash.  I have believed for awhile that the next President may well be the last, at least in this form...and whoever he/she is, he may wind up with his head on a pike.

Donnie, with his big yap and his empty cranium, is making that idea not-so-unpalatable.

Invar...good to find you again.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #786 on: July 22, 2016, 07:25:31 am »
Little difference, as I suspected - from when Trumpy went all Nixonian on us and started with the character assassinations.  The more I looked, the more HE looks like a fake, a fraud, a political Kim Kardashian.  Supported by others; in his case, by legitimate developers who used Donnie as an interface with Tammany.

Being a bagman can pay very well, apparently.  I give Donnie props for being able to make his fortune out of it and even put a respectable veneer on it.

But, THIS.  Not only does Trump not have Secret Answers that the rest of us don't; he doesn't even know what most educated conservatives DO know.  The secret to getting the economy back on track is THE INDIVIDUAL.

The economy is stagnant, is retracting, because millions of individuals are unsure about their future and cannot plan - logical expectations of what will come, can be weighed, when the variables are known.  Such as technological progress or political unrest.

What can NOT be planned for, is the caprices of government commissars who can ORDER products banned or subsidized, or redesigned to fit the emotional needs of the commissar or the one he works for.

So the economy is paralyzed. 

Because the political situation is that of a creeping tyranny - property rights, including the rights to keep the results of one's labor, are no longer protected.  Extralegal action by elected officials, yes and ESPECIALLY social-engineer fake-judges, is the norm now.  Rights are a political football - some rights are more protected than others, which are ignored and trampled on.

Donnie, in the end...his mouth is writing a check his knowledge and future options cannot cash.  I have believed for awhile that the next President may well be the last, at least in this form...and whoever he/she is, he may wind up with his head on a pike.

Donnie, with his big yap and his empty cranium, is making that idea not-so-unpalatable.

Invar...good to find you again.

From which board have we sojourned together?  I've been on quite a few.

You analysis is not only prescient but frightening in it's contemplation and it brought to mind a thought about what Trump would actually run the office of president like. 

It's a dictatorship, not one that starts with ill intent - but a dictatorship that exists as it does ala a CEO/Sole Proprietor would run his own enterprise.  While some might think that's just groovy and peachy for a presidency - a Republic cannot be run like a private business.   Trump's speech last night indicated that doesn't matter at all, he is going to run the country as if he were sole owner of one of his corporations, ala a Dictatorship.

The scary thing is that such corporate management with absolute power will go nearly instantaneously totalitarian in terms of dealing with any opposition.  "You're fired" will be more than just a termination of employment - it will be termination of everything from private property rights, to due process to physical termination given the way his rabid supporters are behaving.

After all, in a corporation as an employee - you have no "rights" - when management tells you that you will perform this or do that or lose this, you comply or find yourself out of a job.

In Trump's Amerika - when the beast tells you that you will perform this, or do that, or you will lose this and that - we find ourselves without a country and without due process because management at the top says so.  Trump will see us as his employees and not as sovereign citizens of a republic where he is employed by US. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #787 on: July 22, 2016, 10:23:17 am »
Must have been the way they spelled "honer" that threw him.  :tongue2:

Word clouds from the Covention minus last night.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #788 on: July 22, 2016, 11:07:21 am »
Kevin D. Williamson ‏@KevinNR  1m1 minute ago
NATO is obsolete, eh? I'll bet you $100 Trump doesn't know how NATO actually is funded.

I'll say, "Things Paid For By The United States While Everybody Else Expects A Free Ride", Link!!      :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #789 on: July 22, 2016, 11:32:04 am »
I'll say, "Things Paid For By The United States While Everybody Else Expects A Free Ride", Link!!      :whistle:

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #790 on: July 22, 2016, 11:33:52 am »

Your post is a hate crime to Orange Glorious.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #791 on: July 22, 2016, 11:41:07 am »
I can deal with a commissar or two paying a visit.

Plenty of room in one of the flower beds still.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #792 on: July 22, 2016, 11:47:20 am »
The prime factors

2*31^2

not

7^2*11

@don-o

@sinkspur

Iam bad at math. I do know what a prime number is. What are those symbols?

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #793 on: July 22, 2016, 11:49:42 am »
Iam bad at math. I do know what a prime number is. What are those symbols?

Two times 31 to the second power

Seven to the second power times 11.

Edit: And a Prime number is one only divisible by 1 and itself.  Period.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:50:39 am by Crazieman »
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #794 on: July 22, 2016, 11:50:23 am »
Your post is a hate crime to Orange Glorious.

:silly: :silly:

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #795 on: July 22, 2016, 11:52:14 am »
Benito said it first! :tongue2:

Indeed he did.  My attempt last night at a little levity and jocularity ...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:52:38 am by LonestarDream »
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #796 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »
Just dont have the emotional energy to both watch the speeches and see our community split.  From FR and now into two camps here.

I think I am the only Trump realist left on the site.  Trump and his supporters have now pushed some budding realists ( healthy) or even maybes into Nevers.

Conventions are supposed to do the opposite.

Perhaps, in this bizzarro world, Hillary will push some nevers into being realists......

I listened to all I could endure of the speech. I was first distracted by the delivery. He obviously did not do the work to disguise the fact that he was reading. Then I got distracted by the yelling. Most politicians do this. They think that volume = passion and intensity.

All along, I have waited/hoped for Trump to  give me a reason. July 5 did move me to Trump realism; but Trump had nothing to do with that.

I thought July 22 might give me something to solidify that. Perhaps a line or two of humility. Perhaps just a tad bit less egocentric. Perhaps a solid and detailed plan on spending. Perhaps a specific condemnation of the Republican controlled Congress (McConnell / Ryan).  I could go on.

I'll be listening and reading reports to see what I missed. I do want to keep an open mind.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #797 on: July 22, 2016, 12:16:52 pm »
Is he done talking yet?

Tha GOD it's FINALLY over!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #798 on: July 22, 2016, 12:19:39 pm »
And a lot of people will also be stupid enough to believe your ridiculous analysis of Trump.  But then others who think clearly would rather have someone who has had two divorces than those whose marriages are a sham and have multiple affairs that are hidden.  Also to understand that business bankruptcies are much different than personal bankruptcies.  It's a red herring you are throwing out.

But then on this thread that is exactly what the mob here demands for their feeding frenzy. 

Truly sad.

What's truly SAD is what's happened to the Republican party and the American electorate dumb enough to follow this clown!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #799 on: July 22, 2016, 12:23:18 pm »
I think you've been hitting the crack pipe pretty heavy tonight.

If I had one I would have had to hit it watching that fiasco!

- J. R. R. Tolkien