Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20  (Read 37346 times)

Offline sinkspur

OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:35:14 pm »
OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20

Let's rock n' roll.  Ted Cruz coming up tonight.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 01:38:49 pm »
I'm in.

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 01:41:29 pm »
"When Ted Cruz takes the stage here on Wednesday evening, what he doesn’t say will be as important as what he does: Though he accepted a primetime speaking spot at the convention that officially nominated Donald Trump on Tuesday, Cruz will not endorse the Republican nominee, according to two sources familiar with his plans."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438086/ted-cruz-republican-convention-speech-high-stakes-2020

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 01:43:33 pm »
Nothing like that new thread smell!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 01:46:52 pm »
The Cruz speech is the only thing I'll be watching.

While its exceedingly unlikely that he will endorse Trump, it wouldn't be enough to win my vote for Trump anyway. Ted Cruz himself has said that his endorsement wouldn't really make any difference because people still have to make up their own minds.

I have.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:47:09 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 01:51:28 pm »
This is soooooo much better than the Pro-Trump sanitized echo chamber.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 01:59:54 pm »

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 02:01:44 pm »
"When Ted Cruz takes the stage here on Wednesday evening, what he doesn’t say will be as important as what he does: Though he accepted a primetime speaking spot at the convention that officially nominated Donald Trump on Tuesday, Cruz will not endorse the Republican nominee, according to two sources familiar with his plans."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438086/ted-cruz-republican-convention-speech-high-stakes-2020

Personally, I'd love it if he could use the five seconds he'd need before they cut off his mic to announce a new party and invite delegates to walk out, resulting in hundreds of delegates leaving.

We have to come to the reality that the party is NOT unified - it is completely and irrevocably fractured. The primary voters who insisted on choosing Trump drove a stake into the heart of a unified party. The funny thing is, many of them said things ahead of time like, "I'm voting for Trump, but I'd be OK with [X]."

Think about that. They would have been OK with [one of the other candidates]. #NeverTrump said, "I'm voting for [X], but I will never, ever support Trump."

And yet, here we are. The Trump crowd blindly led us down this path. We have no unified party anymore. Even while we swallowed hard and pulled the lever for Romney, we were unified.

Now what? Where do true conservatives go? What happens to the GOP in the aftermath? My guess is that team Trump's spite will be so strong (as witnessed on the other thread) that they will never come to the light. My guess is that the fractured party ensures liberal rule for decades to come.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 02:01:58 pm »
The Cruz speech is the only thing I'll be watching.

While its exceedingly unlikely that he will endorse Trump, it wouldn't be enough to win my vote for Trump anyway. Ted Cruz himself has said that his endorsement wouldn't really make any difference because people still have to make up their own minds.

I have.

I agree with all of that.  I wouldn't vote for Trump if my husband endorsed him, lol  (my husband detests him).

I'll keep an eye on the speakers here, and when Cruz is up, I'll DVR his speech and turn it off.

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 02:02:51 pm »
Thank you for that news.  If he holds strong, I'm voting for him as a write in vote.

Sounds like a plan to me. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 02:03:53 pm »
Josh Barro ‏@jbarro  17m17 minutes ago
Donald Trump wanted a VP to whom he could outsource "domestic and foreign policy" -- that is, the entire job.

Josh Barro ‏@jbarro  17m17 minutes ago
Maybe Donald Trump would be too lazy to start a nuclear war?

Hopefully it's button that only works if you press it hard.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 02:04:54 pm »

Where the heck is that from? Is that serious?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 02:07:08 pm »
Nothing like that new thread smell!

Yep someone cut the cheese toward the end of that last one....

Offline sinkspur

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 02:17:44 pm »
Yep someone cut the cheese toward the end of that last one....

Looks like the Trump supporters don't want to play on their own thread.  And everything here was great until the wayward conservatives started showing up and being,... well,... conservative.
 :2barf:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 02:25:15 pm »
It came from this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/magazine/how-donald-trump-picked-his-running-mate.html?_r=2

Its what Trump does. The bulk of the properties with his name on them aren't owned by him. He sells the rights to his name and puts it up in gold letters. This is essentially the same thing.

If this is true the GOP would just about have to be in on it for some reason. It makes me wonder if this isn't a last ditch attempt to put their own people in power. After all, Trump has also said he might get bored with being president and decide to quit. That makes Pence the president and Trump's newfound friend Mitch McConnell the most likely to ascend to VP slot.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 02:27:32 pm »
Looks like the Trump supporters don't want to play on their own thread.  And everything here was great until the wayward conservatives started showing up and being,... well,... conservative.

You may as well get ready.  After the Convention, the Trumpsters are going to be all over the forum insisting that we support Trump or leave.  "Can't have a divided forum. Looks bad."

I think Myst wants everybody to stick around, but it's going to be a real challenge to manage a forum that's as divided as the party. 

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 02:33:13 pm »
Hijacked in 3, 2, 1...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 02:36:30 pm »
Hijacked in 3, 2, 1...

So how 'bout them Astros, huh?

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 02:40:02 pm »
You may as well get ready.  After the Convention, the Trumpsters are going to be all over the forum insisting that we support Trump or leave.  "Can't have a divided forum. Looks bad."

I think Myst wants everybody to stick around, but it's going to be a real challenge to manage a forum that's as divided as the party.

In reality if one side or the other here managed to convince their opposition to join them, the 1500 or so votes won't make a hill of beans of difference in the election.  Getting worked up over a few people that you cannot convince to join your side is frankly childish.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 02:40:37 pm »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 02:40:46 pm »
Quote from: Just_Victor on Today at 10:17:44 AM

8detect8

Touche, looks like the anti-Democracy bots have to likewise, keep up the personal attacks.

A dedicated thread really shouldn't be a problem for a website that has GOP in its name.

But the anti-Unity, anti-Democracy bots now talk of freedom?  Their freedom at personal attacks is more like it.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »
@RAT Patrol

You should have chosen the name RAT Petrol then we could have called you Rat Gas.  :silly:

Carry on.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »
8detect8

Touche, looks like the anti-Democracy bots have to likewise, keep up the personal attacks.

A dedicated thread really shouldn't be a problem for a website that has GOP in its name.

But the anti-Unity, anti-Democracy bots now talk of freedom?  Their freedom at personal attacks is more like it.

Your side (with, what 10 or 12 supporters) is the one that insisted there be no negative comments about Trump on the LIVE thread. 

Thus, this thread.  I didn't intend for it to be divisive. I intended it to be a place for me and a few others to make our own comments about the Convention. 

Now, the OPEN thread has been invaded by Trump supporters telling us what a bunch of neanderthals we are.   

If I said the stuff you just said on the LIVE thread, it would get deleted.   But you know it won't get deleted here.

The only personal attacks are against public figures, which we are allowed to do.   No posters are being attacked over here.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 03:01:24 pm »
8detect8

I'm not seeing where referring to a group of people (such as Trumpers or Cruzers etc.) is a personal attack. If people take it as such, they probably shouldn't engage in political debate. As far as rhetoric against the candidates themselves go, that is a time honored tradition.
As far as unity is concerned, that is something the nominee has to earn. This particular nominee ran a scorched earth campaign to get there. Unity will be very difficult.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington