Author Topic: #NeverTrump Delegate Rebels ‘Defeated’ at the RNC Rules Committee  (Read 8862 times)

Offline Mechanicos

#NeverTrump Delegate Rebels ‘Defeated’ at the RNC Rules Committee
by Patrick Howley14 Jul 2016

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The #NeverTrump movement suffered a punishing blow Thursday night at the Rules Committee in Cleveland ahead of the 2016 Republican convention.

A last-minute plot to push a “conscience” voting provision through the RNC Rules Committee failed, virtually eliminating any options for the “Free the Delegates” movement to go forward and stop Donald Trump from getting the nomination on the convention floor next week. The rebels were trying to unbind pledged delegates for Trump to allow them to vote their “conscience” in defiance of state party rules.

“The Rules Committee has been going all day long,” Trump surrogate Scottie Nell Hughes told Breitbart News just moments after the Committee adjourned before midnight in Ohio. “They all got along and we are going to wake up in the morning to a unified Republican Party.”

An intense day of committee speeches brought out the remaining #NeverTrump heavyweights including Utah Sen. Mike Lee, delegate-revolt rebel leader Kendal Unruh of Colorado, Curly Haugland of North Dakota, and also former Virginia gubernatorial candidate and Ted Cruz-backer Ken Cuccinelli. Breitbart News can confirm that Cuccinelli spoke in favor of the “conscience” exemption.

But the conscience exemption failed to such a degree that the rebels are left with seemingly no options to go forward.

“That actually failed 87 to 12,” Hughes said. “So people are still going to be bound by their state party laws.”

#NeverTrump could still try to get 28 signatures from Rules Committee members to force the “conscience” provision onto the floor for a full vote by delegates — where it would need 1,237 votes or more to pass — but that seems unlikely. Only 12 committee members voted for it, so why would 28 suddenly sign a petition?

Hughes described the day’s process as “like Robert’s Rules of Order on steroids” and noted that “in the end the Trump campaign and the RNC had their game.”

Hughes noted that after about seven amendment proposals failed, the #NeverTrumpers “just started withdrawing their amendments.”

“They are feeling defeated tonight,” Hughes concluded.

Republicans are beginning to arrive in Cleveland ahead of Friday’s planned “Day of Rage” by left-wing protesters around the country, including in Cleveland. As the city braces itself for the historic political event, Donald Trump can now rest easier ahead of his own arrival.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/07/14/nevertrump-delegate-rebels-defeated-rnc-rules-committee/

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Trumpies love their fascist pig. What does that make them???
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Mechanicos

“That actually failed 87 to 12,” Hughes said. “So people are still going to be bound by their state party laws.”

We watched it. There was debate, proposal, 2nd etc. All of the 23 rebels for the other anti-RNC amendments were there, only 12 voted for it. Twelve... Been telling you guys #neverTrump was created by Democrats/Establishment, funded by them and run by them while only using emotional traumatized republicans who could not accept their guy lost. There never were many of you. That was the media playing you. A fiction to try to increase your numbers.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

More to the point, what does that make the rest of us?   I submit that we cannot merely withhold our votes from Donald Trump, but to actively work and vote to defeat him.   This is no time for conscientious objection.  We must stand up to fascism and defeat it, no matter the short-term cost.   

The whole world is watching.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Mechanicos

More to the point, what does that make the rest of us?   I submit that we cannot merely withhold our votes from Donald Trump, but to actively work and vote to defeat him.   This is no time for conscientious objection.  We must stand up to fascism and defeat it, no matter the short-term cost.   

To clarify.Since voting 3rd party will not defeat him are are you supporting voting for Hillary to defeat Trump?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

I think this is somewhat "over the top."  Trump may not be the best standard-bearer but he is not worse than Hitlery, and he is not likely to be a fascist. 

Personally I think the NeverTrump position is too extreme.  Maybe we can have a MaybeTrump movement and do what we can to shape his agenda before we decide how to vote.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:36:31 pm by massadvj »

Offline LMAO

I think this is somewhat "over the top."  Trump may not be the best standard-bearer but he is not worse than Hitlery, and he is not likely to be a fascist

The term "fascist" has been tossed around as easily as the "racist" charge.

But from what I have heard from Trump thus far, he will absolutely be another big government Republican.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

The GOPe wins again.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline MACVSOG68

I think this is somewhat "over the top."  Trump may not be the best standard-bearer but he is not worse than Hitlery, and he is not likely to be a fascist. 

Personally I think the NeverTrump position is too extreme.  Maybe we can have a MaybeTrump movement and do what we can to shape his agenda before we decide how to vote.

Let's hope for some voices of moderation during and after the convention.  Yours always has been.  It will be a tough sell, but I do think his ultimate agenda will be molded by those around him, and less by his critics or in the rhetoric he's noted for.   :0001:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline bolobaby

Trumpettes show their colors: they are not interested in winning over or convincing conservatives, only bringing more liberal democrats into the voting block. They just want conservatives to shut up. Therefore, Trump and Trumpettes are liberals.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:59:35 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: #NeverTrump Delegate Rebels ‘Defeated’ at the RNC Rules Committee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 12:55:14 pm »
To clarify.Since voting 3rd party will not defeat him are are you supporting voting for Hillary to defeat Trump?

Hasn't Myst already slapped you down for personal attacks like this?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 12:57:05 pm »
The GOPe wins again.
Have you looked at who is on your side, funds your movement and is leading you? Trump people are the grass roots here, not you.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 12:59:34 pm »
“The Rules Committee has been going all day long,” Trump surrogate Scottie Nell Hughes told Breitbart News just moments after the Committee adjourned before midnight in Ohio. “They all got along and we are going to wake up in the morning to a unified Republican Party.”

Uh, no, Scottie.  The GOP is no more unified than it was two days ago.  And it won't be. 

Trump is simply unacceptable.  For me, #NeverTrump has ALWAYS been about not voting for Trump, under any circumstances.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »
Have you looked at who is on your side, funds your movement and is leading you? Trump people are the grass roots here, not you.

Yeah.  Grassroots people like Sheldon Adelson and Newt Gingrich.

You're the establishment now, buddy.  Get used to towing the line.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 01:01:57 pm »
Premature. Some of my ancestors fought a war that lasted 100 years. This is only a skirmish in a far greater conflict.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 01:03:20 pm »

Have you looked at who sits on the rules committee?  Have you looked at who seated Trump's delegates at the state conventions?  The GOP establishment.  There are a scarce few Trump delegates sprinkled among them primarily because Trump's people didn't bother to show up during the delegate selection process.   Trump is now the GOPe candidate while Conservatives sit on the sidelines.  I see now why Trump was so helpful to GOPe candidates two years ago in defeating TEA Party challengers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 01:05:29 pm »
Uh, no, Scottie.  The GOP is no more unified than it was two days ago.  And it won't be. 

Trump is simply unacceptable.  For me, #NeverTrump has ALWAYS been about not voting for Trump, under any circumstances.
#neverTrump is never more. Actual voting where its concentration was the strongest was 12 out of 112 @10% and shrinking. Predictions were that by November it would be down to under 5% are holding true. Because the ones still in it can be seen as supporting what will happen if Hillary gets in. More of the NICE attacks, More days of Rage, More Christian persecution by government. etc.   

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 01:07:33 pm »

But from what I have heard from Trump thus far, he will absolutely be another big government Republican.

I agree with you.

And I refuse to vote for Hillary, even though I know that will help Trump.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 01:08:25 pm »

I've actually tried to be careful not to label Trump a "racist".   I think he attracts and exploits the support of racists and bigots, and other thugs of various ignorant sorts,  but I cannot say that Trump himself is a racist.

But, yeah, I submit he's a strongman/fascist in the mold of Mussolini, Chavez and others, who will override the Constitution when it suits his purposes.   He's far more dangerous than what you label "another big government Republican".     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Silver Pines

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »
Mechanicos, if you'll recall, I told you he would probably be the nominee.

But he's going to lose. 

I saw a TV ad this morning which showed him mocking the disabled journalist for the pleasure of the yahoos in his audience; talking about blood coming out of Megyn Kelly's "wherever"; and yelling "tell them to go f--- themselves."

You had to have your dumpster fire candidate, and now you've got him.  It's all downhill from here.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 01:10:04 pm »
#neverTrump is never more. Actual voting where its concentration was the strongest was 12 out of 112 @10% and shrinking. Predictions were that by November it would be down to under 5% are holding true. Because the ones still in it can be seen as supporting what will happen if Hillary gets in. More of the NICE attacks, More days of Rage, More Christian persecution by government. etc.

Eat this:

Marist/NBC/WSJ polls (released today)

FL
Clinton 44%
Trump 37%

VA
Clinton 44%
Trump 35%

CO
Clinton 43%
Trump 35%

NC
Clinton 44%
Trump 38%

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 01:11:57 pm »

But he's going to lose. 

I saw a TV ad this morning which showed him mocking the disabled journalist for the pleasure of the yahoos in his audience; talking about blood coming out of Megyn Kelly's "wherever"; and yelling "tell them to go f--- themselves."

You had to have your dumpster fire candidate, and now you've got him.  It's all downhill from here.

Academia will use the Trump campaign as a text book example of how to lose an election in the easiest manner possible.

Over half of what has come out his mouth could be used for campaign ad cannon fodder.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »

But he's going to lose. 

You read it wrong. Those issues even if taken at full spin value prove hes anti Politically Correct. Both of those are victim classes of people who most Americans are getting sick of being afraid to offend. 

What matters in this election is things like NICE Attacks, days of rage, and Establishment being above the law. That is what is driving the turn out for Trump and depressing the turn out for Hilary.

Forests vs trees. Democrats need it to to be about social issues. They always attack GOP the same way. Trump has changed the paradigm of this election to being about National Security, Economy, and Bringing peace to the nation undoing the divisions created by the Uni-party.

Silver Pines

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:04 pm »
Academia will use the Trump campaign as a text book example of how to lose an election in the easiest manner possible.

Over half of what has come out his mouth could be used for campaign ad cannon fodder.

Yep, and it will be...it already is.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »

What little campaign Trump is running is focused on defeating the small contingent of #NeverTrumpers.

He's hardly running against his friend Hillary at all, when that would be the best way to rally the party.

Put two and two together people.