Author Topic: Wah-Hoo!...Ted Cruz to speak at Republican National Convention after all....  (Read 13769 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Very predictable.  Win-Win for both Trump and Cruz.

It certainly is a win-win for everyone ... us included!   ^-^

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
At "Free Republic" the vast majority of posters here would be banned after being reamed out by the Trump Gestapo roaming the grounds.

Vive TBR!  :patriot:

Well, yeah.  Hundreds have arrived since the Great FReeper Migration of 2016 started.  They've wiped out our supply of coffee and donuts at the lifeboat receiving facility several times.  Never been so proud to see so many posters clocking in at less than 1,000 posts on their profile, yet none can really be called "nOOb".  We probably have more Class of '98 here than there now.  :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Wondering if Cruz will maybe be on Levin's program tonight. Everyone would be wanting to get more on this interesting development.

Look for a lot of the mud that Trump threw on Ted and his family to be repeated by the media in large chunks.

The Memory Hole, after all, is still not operational.

Offline skeeter

Well, yeah.  Hundreds have arrived since the Great FReeper Migration of 2016 started.  They've wiped out our supply of coffee and donuts at the lifeboat receiving facility several times.  Never been so proud to see so many posters clocking in at less than 1,000 posts on their profile, yet none can really be called "nOOb".  We probably have more Class of '98 here than there now.  :beer:

June 28, 1998 here.

Dunno why, but I'm still proud of that.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump asked for the meeting not Cruz.

That means Trump is worried.   

Who give a flying fig who asked who ....  Trump has the most to gain ... the gold ring... the oval office--- so it make sense that he reach out.

Stop, in the name of all that is rational, with the drama.    **nononono*

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
June 28, 1998 here.

Dunno why, but I'm still proud of that.

April 23, 1998 here.  Ya nOObie!   :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

Wondering if Cruz will maybe be on Levin's program tonight. Everyone would be wanting to get more on this interesting development.

Look for a lot of the mud that Trump threw on Ted and his family to be repeated by the media in large chunks.

The Memory Hole, after all, is still not operational.

I sincerely hope Trump takes concrete steps towards undoing the damage he's done to Cruz's personal and political reputation - as in 'I'm very very sorry I lied about Ted and his family'.

We need Cruz badly.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I sincerely hope Trump takes concrete steps towards undoing the damage he's done to Cruz's personal and political reputation - as in 'I'm very very sorry I lied about Ted and his family'.

We need Cruz badly.

Yes, we do.  This one fights.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Yay!  :patriot:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Crazieman

I doubt he will. Trump never apologizes.

Meanwhile the TOSsers are foaming at the mouth over this development.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

I am shocked! Shocked I say. Next you're gonna tell me water is wet??

Offline skeeter

Pluck the knuckle dragging cretins.

I noticed there are a few reasonable posters trying steer the place back to normalcy, but the mouth breathers keep dragging them back.

I'd add one more thing about the alleged Trump/Cruz detente - it would also help a great deal if Trump would make a solid, very public, irrevocable promise - with something to make it credible -  to allow Cruz latitude in selecting SCOTUS nominees, or something.

In spite of who or who doesn't speak at the convention many of us still have no affirmative reason to vote for him.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:55:02 pm by skeeter »

Offline musiclady

And we are THRILLED to have you here! 

I'm glad you left that (literally) God-forsaken place to come to a place where the air is clean and fresh, and the flowers are always blooming.   :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Donald Trump won't invite former rivals Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Ohio Gov. John Kasich to speak at the Republican National Convention without endorsements from both, he told The New York Times.

"If there's no endorsement, then I would not invite them to speak," Trump said.

Trump's comments come as his campaign and the Republican National Committee work to ensure next month's convention goes as smoothly as possible.

Dated June 26  http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284956-trump-wont-invite-cruz-kasich-to-speak-at-convention

Offline GrouchoTex

Yes, we do.  This one fights.

Quoting Lincoln, I like it!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Were I Trump, I'd not have done this.

Cruz is one hell of a speaker. He'll be speaking at least two days before Donny. And there is absolutely no way at all that Trump, the RNC, or the Devil himself can dictate what Cruz will say.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Yesterday I was chastised by a Trump church lady here for referring to TOS.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Yesterday I was chastised by a Trump church lady here for referring to TOS.

The obsession some of y'all continue to have for that place is tiresome. The owners here do allow you to have threads about it;  why not do your venting there?

Silver Pines

Former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz will speak at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, the Texas senator's office announced Thursday, after the presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump asked him to.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/politics/donald-trump-meets-with-ted-cruz-reince-priebus/

WAC, I understand you're very excited because you were desperately looking for some kind of justification for supporting Trump, but I have news for you.  Ted Cruz isn't Jesus, and he isn't the world's moral arbiter.  I have my own moral compass, and it isn't informed by politicians.

Trump hasn't changed.  All this serves to do is diminish Cruz.  All over social media and on TV, it's being portrayed as an endorsement, as a Cruz cave despite the fact that Trump trashed his wife and his father.  And of course, due to the optics, that's the way it would have always been portrayed.

My husband believes this could be a repeat of 1976, when Ford invited Reagan to speak and he brought the house down and made the people understand "I'm the guy you should have nominated."  Husband also reminded me that, since Cruz is already planning his 2020 run according to National Review, he can't afford to seem like a sore loser, and must keep himself and conservative principles front and center.  I don't know.  Maybe Cruz will bring the house down, but I don't think this is a good move. 

But, WAC...you just called yourself a "Trumpkin?"  Really, lol?  After the things you've said about Trump?

SMH

Offline Gov Bean Counter

The obsession some of y'all continue to have for that place is tiresome. The owners here do allow you to have threads about it;  why not do your venting there?

I will from now on. At the time I didn't know that option was available. I do now.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

WAC, I understand you're very excited because you were desperately looking for some kind of justification for supporting Trump, but I have news for you.  Ted Cruz isn't Jesus, and he isn't the world's moral arbiter.  I have my own moral compass, and it isn't informed by politicians.

Trump hasn't changed.  All this serves to do is diminish Cruz.  All over social media and on TV, it's being portrayed as an endorsement, as a Cruz cave despite the fact that Trump trashed his wife and his father.  And of course, due to the optics, that's the way it would have always been portrayed.

My husband believes this could be a repeat of 1976, when Ford invited Reagan to speak and he brought the house down and made the people understand "I'm the guy you should have nominated."  Husband also reminded me that, since Cruz is already planning his 2020 run according to National Review, he can't afford to seem like a sore loser, and must keep himself and conservative principles front and center.  I don't know.  Maybe Cruz will bring the house down, but I don't think this is a good move. 

But, WAC...you just called yourself a "Trumpkin?"  Really, lol?  After the things you've said about Trump?

SMH

CBS did Cruz a favor by showing him saying that no endorsements were discussed. The Trump bed wetters should probably wait and watch his speech before running a victory lap.

Offline Leto

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437580/breaking-cruz-accepts-trump-offer-speak-cleveland

Ted Cruz will speak at the Republican convention after all. Presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump offered Cruz a speaking slot during a meeting Thursday morning in Washington, and the Texas senator accepted on the spot, according to sources in the room. There was no talk of an endorsement: Trump did not ask for Cruz’s support, nor did Cruz offer it. A Trump source, who described the meeting as a “mending of fences,” said the former rivals agreed to a rhetorical cease-fire and promised to work together on issues they agree on. One such area is the courts: Trump asked Cruz to assist in cultivating a longer list of conservative judicial appointees, and once more, the Texas senator obliged him.

In addition to the two principals, the meeting was attended by Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus; RNC chief of staff Katie Walsh; former Cruz campaign manager Jeff Roe; Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort; and Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, as well as her husband, Jared Kushner.

Cruz and his team were already planning to visit Cleveland during the convention, even if only to speak with the Texas delegation and meet with officials from early nominating states. They had no expectation of Trump offering a speaking slot without an endorsement in return.

Crux getting a speaking slot w/o an endorsement is a good thing. Cruz getting input on court appointments is better. I expect Ted's speech to concern conservative principles. Cruz is a student of history see Reagan's speech in 76.

"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline skeeter

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437580/breaking-cruz-accepts-trump-offer-speak-cleveland

Crux getting a speaking slot w/o an endorsement is a good thing. Cruz getting input on court appointments is better. I expect Ted's speech to concern conservative principles. Cruz is a student of history see Reagan's speech in 76.

I agree its a good thing.

Someone has to remind the nation that this race isn't about a personality but principles and values that have sustained us for 250 years, and that if we lose sight of them completely we're finished.

Silver Pines

CBS did Cruz a favor by showing him saying that no endorsements were discussed. The Trump bed wetters should probably wait and watch his speech before running a victory lap.

Even though there won't be an endorsement, the media will portray it as one...in fact, they already are.    That will be the narrative going forward.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Even though there won't be an endorsement, the media will portray it as one...in fact, they already are.    That will be the narrative going forward.

I am just going to see how this plays out.