Author Topic: Americans can choose better than Trump  (Read 2154 times)

Offline thatcher

Americans can choose better than Trump
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:00:33 pm »
Yes, the party of Lincoln and Reagan deserves better...

Americans can choose better than Trump

Marc Racicot is a former governor of Montana and former chairman of the Republican National Committee.

As our beloved country marks its 240th birthday, I’m not alone in feeling that we occupy a moment of great turmoil and testing as a nation. Maybe we’ve taken the wonders and blessings of our country for granted, never thinking the grand experiment of our Founding Fathers, so dependent for its endurance upon mutual decency, respect and self-discipline, could ever really fall into disrepair.

Throughout history our republic has faced other extraordinary threats to our freedom, our existence as a nation and our system of self-government. But in those times, by the grace of God, the nation has been blessed with the emergence of good and courageous men and women of character and fortitude who have led “this last best hope of man on Earth” through harm’s way.

One of the most profound examples of such leadership was provided by Abraham Lincoln, the father of the Republican Party and, many would say, our most distinguished president. But Lincoln was not always perceived that way.

Although he served several terms in the Illinois state legislature and one term in Congress, Lincoln was also defeated in U.S. Senate campaigns in 1854 and 1858. Nonetheless, he became one of four presidential candidates in 1860, representing a new party that formed during some of the most fractious moments in our history. Lincoln was elected our 16th president with only 40 percent of the popular vote.

How is it that, in the darkest of times, the nation invested its confidence in a man who had failed in business and had lost almost as many elections as he had won, a man who had no significant administrative experience, a man who represented a new political party that had never seen the inside of the White House, and a man who was not even the first choice of his party on either of the first two ballots of that party’s political convention in 1860?

There appears but one conclusion. The collective whole of our citizenry, like a jury, has always had the capacity, if the evidence was before them, to discern those best qualified by virtue of their character and capacity, to lead us through perilous times.

As responsible, though admittedly not perfect, citizens, we are obliged, before automatic commitments to political parties, ideologies or candidates, to give consideration to those timeless and eternal qualities of genuine leadership that transcend ever-changing political charters, programs and affiliations. Rarely stopping to inventory them, we all know them when we see them.

It is inescapable that every decision made by every leader reflects the character of the man or woman making the decision. Character is the lens through which a leader perceives the path to be followed. It conceives and shapes every thought and is inextricably interwoven into every word spoken, every policy envisioned and every action taken.

Persistent seriousness, solemn and honest commitment to the interests of others, exhaustive study and detailed proposals, sincerity, humility, empathy, dignity, fairness, patience, genuine respect for all of God’s children, durability, modesty and the absence of self-interest are those qualities of principled leadership absolutely essential to presidential decision-making.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/americans-can-choose-better-than-trump/2016/06/30/1db143c0-3efc-11e6-84e8-1580c7db5275_story.html?postshare=7411467401251445&tid=ss_tw

Offline Mechanicos

Re: Americans can choose better than Trump
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:03:15 pm »
Its interesting how the Democrats at Washington Post tell the #neverTrumps what to think, how to think and lead them around.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:22:05 pm »
Its interesting how the Democrats at Washington Post tell the #neverTrumps what to think, how to think and lead them around.

The author, Marc Racicot, is a Republican.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:24:00 pm »
The author, Marc Racicot, is a Republican.
So what, hes writing Democrat for democrats. You really think the label means a lot with them?
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

geronl

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 09:24:27 pm »
teliing someone what to think and teaching them how to think are totally opposite things.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:38:14 pm »
So what, hes writing Democrat for democrats. You really think the label means a lot with them?

The label obviously doesn't mean a lot to you.  But I think most of us have already figured that out.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 09:46:21 pm »
The label obviously doesn't mean a lot to you.  But I think most of us have already figured that out.
I'm not the one doing the work of Democrats trying to get Hillary elected as president. I have yet to see any one of you explain how your hoped for end game with attacking Trump day after day does not result in Hilary winning?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:48:54 pm »
I'm not the one doing the work of Democrats trying to get Hillary elected as president. I have yet to see any one of you explain how your hoped for end game with attacking Trump day after day does not result in Hilary winning?

Hey @mystery-ak,

Here's yet ANOTHER example of Mechanicos lying about us.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 09:58:36 pm »

I guess I'm a bit confused. Are you saying, because he was being grammatically correct in capitalizing a proper noun, that makes him a Democrat?

Wellallrightythen.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 10:03:37 pm »

Well I have yet to see any of you Trump people explain what conservative/republican cause Trump has ever worked toward, and given that there is no explanation because it has never happened, I have never seen any reason to vote for Trump other than "he's not Hillary".  Sorry about your low standards.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 10:21:12 pm »
Well I have yet to see any of you Trump people explain what conservative/republican cause Trump has ever worked toward, and given that there is no explanation because it has never happened, I have never seen any reason to vote for Trump other than "he's not Hillary".  Sorry about your low standards.

Oh Really?

Build the wall.
Enforce the law.
Deport them all.
End sanctuary cities.
End anchor babies.
Slap a moratorium on muslim immigration.
Cut the taxes.
Cut the spending.
Cut the regulations.
Cut the government.
Cut the debt.
Cut the EPA.
Repeal ObamaCare.
Get the feds out and allow health insurance to be sold over state lines.
Send education back to states.
Get a handle on trade.
Make trade deals in our own best interests.
Bring back capital.
Bring back manufacturing.
Bring back jobs.
Strengthen the economy.
Defend the second amendment.
Defend religious freedom.
Appoint constitutional conservative judges.
Rebuild our military.
Bomb the hell out of ISIS (and take their oil).

End political correctness.
Take the GOPe head-on.
Take the media head-on.
Take the liberals head-on.
And win, baby, win.

What’s democrat about any of the above?
What’s not conservative?
What’s not to like?

And I’ll add a few more:

Redo the horrid Iran deal.
Take a serious look at NATO.
Require our allies to pay more for their defense.

Rebuild the Reagan Coalition and attract blue collar workers by making America first again on manufacturing, trade, secure borders, economy and jobs, jobs, jobs!

Make America Great Again!

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 10:23:42 pm »
Oh Really?

Build the wall.
Enforce the law.
Deport them all.
End sanctuary cities.
End anchor babies.
Cut the taxes.
Cut the spending.
Cut the regulations.
Cut the government.
Cut the debt.
Cut the EPA.
Repeal ObamaCare.
Get a handle on trade.
Bring back capital.
Bring back jobs.
Strengthen the economy.
Rebuild our military.

Take the GOPe head-on.
Take the media head-on.
And win, baby, win.

What’s not conservative?
What’s not to like?

And I’ll add a few more:

Rebuild the Reagan Coalition and attract blue collar workers by making America first again on manufacturing, trade, secure borders, economy and jobs, jobs, jobs!

He already backtracked most of that list. You won't accept the fact of it but America does. Which is why he's lost so much support.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 10:27:50 pm »
Oh Really?

Build the wall.
Enforce the law.
Deport them all.
End sanctuary cities.
End anchor babies.
Cut the taxes.
Cut the spending.
Cut the regulations.
Cut the government.
Cut the debt.
Cut the EPA.
Repeal ObamaCare.
Get a handle on trade.
Bring back capital.
Bring back jobs.
Strengthen the economy.
Rebuild our military.

Take the GOPe head-on.
Take the media head-on.
And win, baby, win.

What’s not conservative?
What’s not to like?

And I’ll add a few more:

Reread the question.  You did not answer it.  Trump has done nothing to work towards these things.  All he has done is talk.  And changed his position on about every topic you listed.  All hat, no cattle.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 10:31:34 pm »
He already backtracked most of that list. You won't accept the fact of it but America does. Which is why he's lost so much support.
Problem is all the claims of walk back are BS. They are media lies, twisting what he said, omitting parts of what he said, taking statements out of context, etc. The Favorite walk back claim one of the #nevertrumps is where the media attributes words to Trump that were only spoken by a member of the media.

Its sad to see people so easily taken in by the Democrats this way...

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 10:33:06 pm »

"Send education back to states."

I've seen this twice today.  What does this mean?  Florida makes its own education policy.  It chose to follow common core.  No state was forced to adopt common core. I think there are about 8 states that opted not to follow common core.  I haven't seen any explanation.  Are we supposed to believe that the feds forced common core on the states?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 10:35:33 pm »
Problem is all the claims of walk back are BS. They are media lies, twisting what he said, omitting parts of what he said, taking statements out of context, etc. The Favorite walk back claim one of the #nevertrumps is where the media attributes words to Trump that were only spoken by a member of the media.

Its sad to see people so easily taken in by the Democrats this way...

Another lie.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 10:35:40 pm »
Reread the question.  You did not answer it.  Trump has done nothing to work towards these things.  All he has done is talk.  And changed his position on about every topic you listed.  All hat, no cattle.
The claims hes changed his position are pretty much the classic example of all hat no cattle. No matter how many times its shown to you guys it never sinks in.

This is a clear example of the Democrat Media with help of Establishment shills controlling your thoughts with science derived manipulation techniques. One of the most common examples is where the media person is the only one who made the walk back statement but its attributed to Trump even tho he is not the one to have said it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 10:38:11 pm »
The claims hes changed his position are pretty much the classic example of all hat no cattle. No matter how many times its shown to you guys it never sinks in.

This is a clear example of the Democrat Media with help of Establishment shills controlling your thoughts with science derived manipulation techniques. One of the most common examples is where the media person is the only one who made the walk back statement but its attributed to Trump even tho he is not the one to have said it.

Just admit the question cannot be answered.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:28 pm »
Another lie.
Its no lie. When I challenge Antis to produce Trump himself saying the claimed walk back words its never been proven. So far in every case its a Democrat reporter playing leading questions games trying to put the words in Trumps mouth.

Proof of a walk back will have to have Trump saying the a position and then Trump himself saying the opposite. Not your Liberal Media opining he did. Not Erick the PAC presstitute. Trump has to say both parts.

I can wait.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 10:46:56 pm »

This post is not in reply to Mech. As I really do not care what Mech says or thinks. Usually I do old school ignore and skip Mech's posts.

To the rest.

Ya' know... I strive for a reason to vote for trump.

I hold out that those I walk beside.. Ted Cruz, Mike Lee... and others will give me a reason to vote against Hillary. I have held my nose and voted before, last time I did not was for Romney, not that it mattered in my State as every county voted for him.

But aside that I see trump as a Charlatan.. amongst even worse traits , I do not  hold that as the reason to not vote for trump.

Nay by the Rod it is the very trump supporters them selves.. as well their very unsavory  candidate HIS Own Precious... it is they who put me off.

Just when I think I could maybe... I go to FR, and find out why I cannot s'port trump.  Yes there are one or two trump s'porters here who are the same as FR, but many here make a cogent argument .. even if they are not willing to be called trump.. they go by #neverhillary....... and this is fair.

The point of this ramble.. is ..My candidate is out.. I do not need to argue/ask for their vote. They need mine.. well Scam Wow says they don't.. but we know trump is a liar.  But I digress... the trump voters continue to attack instead of winning over votes.

Good job there trump supporters... makes it easy for me to not vote the top of the ticket again.

Just sayin'.. to reiterate... my/i candidate no longer needs you or your vote. Keep trashing Ted and see if you get my vote.. that includes Scam Wow.. just keep trashing.... and you are saying you do not need my vote.

Anyways... That is how this Simple Bricklayer sees it.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 11:04:08 pm »
Its no lie. When I challenge Antis to produce Trump himself saying the claimed walk back words its never been proven. So far in every case its a Democrat reporter playing leading questions games trying to put the words in Trumps mouth.

Proof of a walk back will have to have Trump saying the a position and then Trump himself saying the opposite. Not your Liberal Media opining he did. Not Erick the PAC presstitute. Trump has to say both parts.

I can wait.

Yes it is.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 11:06:35 pm »

I can wait.

Trying to shift away from my question because it cannot be answered.  Why not just say you can't answer it and explain why it doesn't bother you that you can't answer it.  You would regain some integrity doing that; you've got a lot to make up for.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 11:17:00 pm »

I can wait.

Well, I thought you more capable..... guess not..
....Fantom picking up first floating Yellow Donald Duck on the Mid-Way.. shoulders young boy out of the way..

...Get away from me kid Ya' Bother Me

Anywho with no more ado..

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban/

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump, who issued a December press release "calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States," said Wednesday such a ban "hasn't been called for yet" and it was "only a suggestion."

Quack Quack

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 11:21:58 pm »
Well, I thought you more capable..... guess not..
....Fantom picking up first floating Yellow Donald Duck on the Mid-Way.. shoulders young boy out of the way..

...Get away from me kid Ya' Bother Me

Anywho with no more ado..

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban/

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump, who issued a December press release "calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States," said Wednesday such a ban "hasn't been called for yet" and it was "only a suggestion."

Quack Quack
Suggestion is a proper term here. For one hes not the President, so until and unless he is elected all he can do is suggest. Which by the way means to propose, put forth etc all terms used normally by candidates. For example all of Cruz's Campaign proposals are now nothing more then suggestions...

Offline Fantom

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 11:25:08 pm »
Suggestion is a proper term here. For one hes not the President, so until and unless he is elected all he can do is suggest. Which by the way means to propose, put forth etc all terms used normally by candidates. For example all of Cruz's Campaign proposals are now nothing more then suggestions...

LOL... Kudos... you have proven Denial is not a river in Egypt.

#LOL@trumpnutters.

When you wake up, try reality.

Frederick Douglass