Author Topic: Latest NBC poll: Clinton has largest lead of the race nationally  (Read 3595 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR.COM

URL: http://hotair.com/archives/2016/06/28/nbc-poll-clinton-has-largest-lead-of-the-race/

by: Ed Morrissey

It’s not just NBC’s tracking poll showing this, either, but it’s as good place to start as any, as you’ll see. The latest iteration of the NBC/Survey Monkey tracking poll shows Hillary Clinton near a majority with an eight-point lead over Donald Trump, 49/41, her largest lead in this series. Two significant changes in demographics undermine key arguments from Team Trump about their prospects:

Hillary Clinton now leads Donald Trump by 8 points, her highest advantage since the general election match-up question was first asked on May 2, according to the latest NBC News|SurveyMonkey Weekly Election Tracking Poll.

This week, Clinton enjoys 49 percent support of registered voters to Trump’s 41 percent. Her 8-point margin over Trump grew from 6 points in last week’s poll.

The lead goes down to six points in a three- or four-way race with Libertarians and Greens, but that’s not exactly good news for Trump or Clinton. He drops to 36% in those matchups, down five while Hillary drops seven to 42%. That split isn’t uneven enough to help Republicans in the presidential race, and suggests that the other two options will pull support from disgusted voters in both parties proportionally.

The good news for Hillary is that young voters appear to be coming home to the Democratic nominee. The NBC survey shows Hillary narrowing the gap among white voters from -12 to -8, a difference outside the ±1.8% margin of error. Another demo shows a much more dramatic change. With Bernie Sanders out of the race and offering support to Clinton, she picked up twelve points among college-age voters:

EXCERPT ONLY, CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Just_Victor

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Latest NBC poll: Clinton has largest lead of the race nationally
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:43:35 pm »
REALCLEARPOLITICS AVERAGE FOR THE LAST THREE MONTHS

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »
Rasmussen has an interesting — if depressing — projection of the Electoral College based on current polling. This in particular bears watching:

SEE HERE:

http://www.rasmussenmediagroup.com/rasmussen-electoral-college-projection-clintons-lead-a-bit-more-solid/

Here's what he concludes:

Trump is not projected ahead in any states that Barack Obama won in 2012. However, eight Obama states with 109 Electoral College votes are only leaning in Clinton’s direction (Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin). If Trump is to pull off an upset, it would most likely come from winning many of these states.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 06:51:10 pm »
Hillary just adds to that lead every single day.

This was once a winnable election, folks.   I still cannot believe how fatally stupid 40% of GOP voters were in the primary, to select the monumentally worst possible candidate.  Trump has no chance of winning in November.. not "infinitesimally small," not "minuscule," not "minimal," but nonexistent.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »

This was once a winnable election, folks.   I still cannot believe how fatally stupid 40% of GOP voters were in the primary, to select the monumentally worst possible candidate.  Trump has no chance of winning in November.. not "infinitesimally small," not "minuscule," not "minimal," but nonexistent.

Looks like those cross over voters in the Primary that Trump's supporters were bragging about are crossing back over. Although I will disagree Trump has no chance. It's still early

She chooses Warren and promises student loan forgiveness and the millennials are her's.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:57:51 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 07:08:58 pm »
Looks like those cross over voters in the Primary that Trump's supporters were bragging about are crossing back over. Although I will disagree Trump has no chance. It's still early

A normal candidate would have time to stage a comeback.  Trump has no campaign, and no intention of appealing to the Republicans he alienated.  The vast majority of the country considers him unfairly biased towards minorities, and unqualified to serve as president. 

This nomination was an unbelievably stupid move, which is why I left the Republican party.  I don't like stupid.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 08:39:01 pm »
A normal candidate would have time to stage a comeback.  Trump has no campaign, and no intention of appealing to the Republicans he alienated.  The vast majority of the country considers him unfairly biased towards minorities, and unqualified to serve as president. 

This nomination was an unbelievably stupid move, which is why I left the Republican party.  I don't like stupid.

The delegates haven't voted yet.   Jussayin'   :coffee:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:39:18 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:10:18 pm »

His supporters don't want to win.  They wanted to destroy the GOP.  His supporters were quite vocal about that.  Destruction was their aim... and they've gotten *EXACTLY* what they set out for.

But for some reason, that made them unhappy.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 09:24:50 pm »
Much like the earlier Wapo poll, this poll is HEAVILY weighted towards Dems. There is nearly 34% of the sample that are Dems and just 27% GOP...which isn't quite as absurd as the Wapo's 36-24 gap. All that said, the difference between the candidates is just 6% when all candidates are included. So far from dismissing this poll, I'd support its validity...because what it is really showing is that the race is extremely tight. Were the samples weighted more reasonably you could expect its outcome to show the race within the margin of error....and keep in mind, this is a registered voter poll not a Likely voter one. If it were a LIkely voter poll, the results would be tighter still...perhaps showing a slight Trump advantage.

Worse, the poll is a self-selecting sample meaning sampling error is incalculable...which the pollster acknowledges in his methodology statement.

So we should never dismiss polls like this, but you have to be smart enough to dig down into the methodology and see what the poll is really telling you...and its not telling you what the deceptive headline of the article or this thread asserts. It IS telling you that the presidential race is very tight. The difference, small though it may be, is that a small percentage of Republicans are failing to rally to their nominee...while more Democrats ARE rallying.

So you can directly attribute nearly all of Hillary's lead to the NeverTrump voters...congrats. Most likely you'll be receiving thank you notes from the Hillary campaign when this is all over....and later, from her numerous Supreme Court Appointees.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:44:27 pm »
Much like the earlier Wapo poll, this poll is HEAVILY weighted towards Dems. There is nearly 34% of the sample that are Dems and just 27% GOP...which isn't quite as absurd as the Wapo's 36-24 gap. All that said, the difference between the candidates is just 6% when all candidates are included. So far from dismissing this poll, I'd support its validity...because what it is really showing is that the race is extremely tight. Were the samples weighted more reasonably you could expect its outcome to show the race within the margin of error....and keep in mind, this is a registered voter poll not a Likely voter one. If it were a LIkely voter poll, the results would be tighter still...perhaps showing a slight Trump advantage.

Worse, the poll is a self-selecting sample meaning sampling error is incalculable...which the pollster acknowledges in his methodology statement.

So we should never dismiss polls like this, but you have to be smart enough to dig down into the methodology and see what the poll is really telling you...and its not telling you what the deceptive headline of the article or this thread asserts. It IS telling you that the presidential race is very tight. The difference, small though it may be, is that a small percentage of Republicans are failing to rally to their nominee...while more Democrats ARE rallying.

So you can directly attribute nearly all of Hillary's lead to the NeverTrump voters...congrats. Most likely you'll be receiving thank you notes from the Hillary campaign when this is all over....and later, from her numerous Supreme Court Appointees.

It's the logical, consequential, practical effect of #NeverTrump. It's in their mission statement: No Trump. Well, what does that mean "no Trump?" It means madam president.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:55:52 pm »
The delegates haven't voted yet.   Jussayin'   :coffee:

The national and state GOP is cracking down on the anti-Trump delegates as we speak.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 10:32:56 pm »
But wait....those polls aren't real :thud:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3444519/posts

I knew someone would throw that out there...but they are real. They just don't mean what you think they mean.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 10:35:17 pm »
It's the logical, consequential, practical effect of #NeverTrump. It's in their mission statement: No Trump. Well, what does that mean "no Trump?" It means madam president.

Bullcrap.  What results in "madam president" is foisting upon the rest of us a detestable, despised and unelectable candidate on the wild hope that he -- for the first time -- would actually hold fast to a policy stance.  You Trump backers FUBAR'd the chances for stopping the progressivist tide in this country by nominating that candidate, and somehow you want others to help clean it up?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:37:55 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 10:39:41 pm »
The national and state GOP is cracking down on the anti-Trump delegates as we speak.

Good. They are simply cracking down on stupidity and futility...the voters have spoken and the nominee is set as Mr. Trump, so there's little point in fractious battles over the fact.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:46 pm »
Bullcrap.  What results in "madam president" is foisting upon the rest of us a detestable, despised and unelectable candidate on the wild hope that he -- for the first time -- would actually hold fast to a policy stance.  You Trump backers FUBAR'd the chances for stopping the progressivist tide in this country by nominating that candidate, and somehow you want others to help clean it up?

Detestable, despised and unelectable are the lead paragraphs on Ted Cruz's resume'...not Donald Trumps. So you are a bit confused. As for policy stances, they are clear and set in place...I'd be glad to lay his positions for you one by one if you'd like.

Hillary or Donald will be president. ALL of us will have a part in which, but none of us get to pretend we are not responsible...for my part, I will work day and night to ensure it is not Hillary. Many, including yourself, are choosing to actively help her or to do nothing to stop her. That's your choice and you've every right to it, just quit pretending its something other than that.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 10:48:42 pm »
It wasn't Ted Cruz who had 70% unfavorables; 77% among women.  You don't win with numbers like that, and Trump "accomplished" that all by himself.  Trump is getting schwacked in poll after poll after poll, and no projection or excuse-manufacturing will undo that undeniable fact.

And do not deign to assign one shred of responsibility for this debacle to me or anyone else who had the good sense not to back that orange-headed carnival barker. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:52:47 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline bilo

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 10:59:54 pm »
His supporters don't want to win.  They wanted to destroy the GOP.  His supporters were quite vocal about that.  Destruction was their aim... and they've gotten *EXACTLY* what they set out for.

But for some reason, that made them unhappy.

I'm not so sure a "big" win for hillary will be a disaster for the GOP. I don't believe she is going to generate any excitement down the ticket. She is just spouting the old liberal lines, there's nothing "new" and exciting about her. I think it will be a brutal defeat for conservatives within the GOP because Trump will be blamed on the angry Tea Party types. I would bet the Pubs keep the House and maybe have a 40% chance of keeping the Senate. The problem with this is that it will be the GOPe will be in control.   
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »
Some numbers for consideration (via Steve Deace/Real Clear Politics):

Trump trails Clinton by about 6 points in National polling average. That's almost exactly where McCain was, at this same point.  Romney trailed Obama by about 2 points in 2012, at this point.

AZ - Trump trailing outside the margin of error.  AZ has gone D only once since 1948, that was in 1996 for Clinton.  Romney won state by 7 points.

TX - Trump leads by 7 points.  But it's his numbers that count - he's at 37 to 30 in TX.  1/3 voters undecided.  TX has gone Dem only once in 1976.

FL - Trump has trailed in 5 of the 6 polls.   Last R to win Presidency w/out FL was Taft.

OH - Trump trails by 3 points.  No R has ever won the WH w/out Ohio.

VA - Trump trails by 4 points.   Last R to win WH w/out VA was Coolidge.

GA - listed as swing state.   Only gone D once, since Jimmy Carter was running in 1996.

PA - Trump is in statistical tie.   State hasn't gone R since 1988.

NV - Trump has no campaign offices there.

NH - Trump only has 1 staffer member there.

NC - Trump only leads by 1 point.

Record high unfavorables, higher than Clintons.

Trump will have to win TX and majority of states listed above, to get to 270 electoral votes.  He trails in all those states.

Trump has to almost run the table, in all swing states (75%) to get to 270.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 11:16:36 pm »
Then you should have worked day and night to make sure trump wasn't the nominee.  But you didn't.  A look at all the different polls shows a pattern of a widening Hillary lead over trump. No amount of deep analysis of the polls that cultists are throwing out will change that fact.  Finally, trump must be prevented at all costs from occupying the White House.

The polls really haven't moved much...though the last couple have come out with terrible sampling methodologies, creating a false impression of movement. I'd hope most conservatives would be smart enough to examine the samples in such polls, but apparently I was wrong.

As for Steve Deace, believe it or not I've had first hand experience with the man and he is a complete bumbling buffoon. As an Iowan, former Iowan at least, his reputation in state for self interest and dishonesty is commonly held...and yes, that's based on anecdotal experience. Now, I realize that does not address the specifics of his polling analysis but at the moment I don't have time to go through the validity...or lack thereof...of his assertions in that long list. Suffice it to say his analysis in each case is heavily subjective, later I will take the time to go over his data set but I'm guessing its highly selective. We shall see.

Finally, polling in pre-convention time frames is notoriously non-predictive...that's a rather large elephant that many in the room seem all too willing to ignore.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:17:59 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 11:48:55 pm »
As for Steve Deace, believe it or not I've had first hand experience with the man and he is a complete bumbling buffoon.

Well of course that's your opinion.  Anyone who disses your messiah...MUST be a bumbling buffoon. :whistle:

Never mind, that the numbers I listed above are ALL from Real Clear Politics, not Steve Deace himself...and all he did was report them. :tongue2:

Typical Trumpette, attack the messenger, ignore the message. :chairbang:

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 12:33:02 am »
Well of course that's your opinion.  Anyone who disses your messiah...MUST be a bumbling buffoon. :whistle:

Never mind, that the numbers I listed above are ALL from Real Clear Politics, not Steve Deace himself...and all he did was report them. :tongue2:

Typical Trumpette, attack the messenger, ignore the message. :chairbang:

Many who don't like Mr. Trump are fine people. George Will for one. Steve Deace, however, is not fine people.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 12:34:53 am »
Mesaclone - President Romney would like to remind you what happens when you "unskew" polls. Or don't you remember that particular debacle?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 12:38:10 am »
Detestable, despised and unelectable are the lead paragraphs on Ted Cruz's resume'...not Donald Trumps.
So Trump and his supporters trashed every candidate on the way to victory and continue to do so. You shouldn't be surprised at the lack of support from people who backed those other guys and gal.

Trump is going to lose in November because he decided on a scorched earth policy during the primaries. He has his 35 to 45 percent hardcore support from voters in the primaries, but little enthusiasm from anyone else.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington