Author Topic: Why people like Donald.  (Read 22839 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Why people like Donald.
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2016, 06:13:43 pm »
I can agree with some of this. At least Trumps faults were out there. The Tea Party got co opted, went to washington and did nothing but turn people away from the republican party. They were are fraud at the end, and it lead to Trump.

What else can he do? How can he attack Hillary then?
It wasn't the TEA party who got co-opted. In some jurisdictions the candidates probably never intended to do the things they paid lip service to to get elected. In others, after the votes were counted, it was TEA who? Still others settled in with the good ol' boys and sold out. Disappointments all. With a couple of exceptions, and Cruz was definitely one of the exceptions.

So, if you were banking on the TEA party movement getting anywhere, well it sure was easy to be disappointed. Especially if you expected change from the GOPe status quo, and even more so if it was your guy who sold out, if he wasn't already gone when he got on the ballot.  But not all did sell out. Sure, the anger was genuine, but the guy who should have had support got upstaged by a reality Teevee star who played the media like a tin whistle. Every time he blew hard, they made noise.

My most fundamental disappointment is that after seeing the promises broken by a large number of the TEA party candidates, people fell for Trump.

Unreal.  As I said,
The TEA party people did not so much fail as they were betrayed, with rare exception.
Millions of us.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:16:00 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2016, 08:59:38 pm »
@roamer_1

I don't know about that.  A couple of years ago I was in the grocery store, and a man, navigating his shopping cart between mine and that of the woman on the opposite side of the aisle, excused himself and wished us a good afternoon.  The woman looked after him and yelled (and I do mean yelled), "Who cares!  You're just a man anyway.  No one wants to hear from you."  I almost fell out.  She looked at me and laughed as though she expected I'd get the joke, or whatever it was.

@mirraflake

I was about 25 miles west of town, and saw a woman standing by her broken down car. As is customary here, I pulled off to see if I could lend a hand. The ENTIRE time, while I am cheerfully changing her tire for her, she never stopped insulting me...

For some reason, she had to make sure I knew that she was so much better than me, and that I am nothing more than a dirty, stupid redneck with a dirty, crappy truck - nothing near the cultured people of the city, and that I should be embarrassed of myself as a man. She made it perfectly clear that she didn't need me for anything, and that I was lucky to even be in her presence... And she assured me with all certitude that she didn't need my help at all, and that she was a strong woman.

Of course, she was talking out her butt the whole dang time - She was helpless, hopeless, and wholly unprepared. And she hadn't a clue how to change a tire. When I got it done, she told me in a way that it was 'about time', got in her car, and off she went, without as much as a thank you.

Now, put that in contrast with a country gal I helped out:

Same sort of circumstance, except it was night, and late fall... The woman's car had an electrical fire under the dash, and I came up on it as it was happening... I got the fire out, but the car was uninhabitable from the smoke, and wasn't going to run, no how... I got her and her kids calmed down... stuffed them in my truck where it was warm, broke out some blankets...

I got on the CB (cell doesn't work very well in the mountains) and got a guy to land-line her husband... By this nebulous means, I informed him of her plight, and him being in a spot where he couldn't afford a tow-truck, we figured out that he would go get my son to fetch my trailer and the two of them would head on up. We stayed in contact till it was sure, and then it was all about waiting.

I stayed out in the cold rain for an hour and better (not enough room in the truck). That girl felt SO bad that I was out in the rain while she and her kids were warm and dry in the cab of my truck. She came out several times to help me bear it (which I really didn't need, as I had donned my winter gear and a slicker from out of my saw-box) staying out in it with me to cheer me up till I insisted she get back in the heat.

My boy showed up with her old man and the trailer. After that, it was short work with the three of us winching the car up and getting it tied down. My boy hauled them home, with me following with those that didn't fit in his truck. Of course, after a cup of hot coffee, the old man offered to pay, and of course we turned it down, as such things are considered 'paying it forward', and we went on home, with their many thanks ringing in our ears...

A few days later, there was a knock on my door, and there they are. The woman was so very appreciative, and thanked me for my service with a glorious home-made apple pie, a beautiful hand written note, and her old man threw in a quart of applejack (maybe y'all call it 'apple pie'). And my son got the very same. And while not entirely due to that incident (we got to know that family some) we were invited to a do they throw at the end of the next summer, and many summers thereafter..

That woman right there - and her folks - she's the salt-of-the-earth. And the comparison between the two should be readily evident. But as I said upthread, it is for the latter that I put up with the former. And while I know nothing of the menfolk of the former, I am absolutely certain the old man of the latter is much like me, and will always stop and do his level best to help folks out, and especially women in need.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2016, 09:13:41 pm »
@roamer_1

I don't know about that.  A couple of years ago I was in the grocery store, and a man, navigating his shopping cart between mine and that of the woman on the opposite side of the aisle, excused himself and wished us a good afternoon.  The woman looked after him and yelled (and I do mean yelled), "Who cares!  You're just a man anyway.  No one wants to hear from you."  I almost fell out.  She looked at me and laughed as though she expected I'd get the joke, or whatever it was.

Never had it happen to me.

I helped 3 bohemian looking  college age women at my local gas station last year to change their flat tire. They could not remove the lug nuts because someone torqued them on like a gorilla.  I used the 4 way lug wrench I carry in my trunk and they thanked me over and over...and I was dressed in jeans, clod hoppers  and a cut off t shirt  and my trusty New Holland Ag hat- I was 100% opposite of what they represented.

Never had a woman yell at me for opening a door or helping her carry a heavy package and I lived in large urban area nearly all my life. aka femimist central.

@CatherineofAragon

@roamer_1

Offline LMAO

« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2016, 10:52:19 am »

What else can he do? How can he attack Hillary then?

Ask the public if they feel things are better now than 8 years ago. Tell the public if they are happy with the direction of the country, then vote Hillary. IOW, run a change campaign.

The public already is aware of Clinton's history of corruption of epic proportions. And that's already factored in these polls

However, without a unite base behind him, he won't win. He will not replace the conservative base with Bernie voters and independents. So far, little to no attempt has been made by him
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:09:15 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2016, 01:55:01 pm »
Ask the public if they feel things are better now than 8 years ago. Tell the public if they are happy with the direction of the country, then vote Hillary. IOW, run a change campaign.

The public already is aware of Clinton's history of corruption of epic proportions. And that's already factored in these polls

However, without a unite base behind him, he won't win. He will not replace the conservative base with Bernie voters and independents. So far, little to no attempt has been made by him

Those are great points.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »
Do people like Trump?

I don't see much evidence of that. Excepting GOP primary voters that is.

Silver Pines

« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2016, 08:50:55 pm »
No kidding!  The kind of thing where the eyewitness says: "and, then the gentleman hits the other gentleman over the head with a beer bottle for saying _)(*(&^&% about his momma".   What do they think "gentleman" means or is that just too much thinking?

@Sanguine

The only thing I can figure is that it's political correctness and wanting to massage everyone's delicate little feelings.

I heard someone on the radio refer to the Florida nightclub bomber as "that gentleman."  I'm just done.

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2016, 04:05:06 am »
@Sanguine

The only thing I can figure is that it's political correctness and wanting to massage everyone's delicate little feelings.

I heard someone on the radio refer to the Florida nightclub bomber as "that gentleman."  I'm just done.

No Mr Nice Guy attitude will  beat back the bizarre tide f Leftist NONSENSE in ANY REALM

The Donny;s looking forward to Buying a TV News Network.....he cant run that as President....   thus has been reported on multiple news sites.

I posted a thread on TOS....Challenging him to DO just that....last september!! 

Hes not a serious candidate !!!

WE WILL SURVIVE and THRIVE!!
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2016, 12:44:27 am »
Of course Trump is coarse and dumb.

Once upon a time, a U.S. Senator spoke on behalf of an unqualified Supreme Court nominee
by saying, "Even if he were mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers.
They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all
Brandeises, Frankfurters and Cardozos."

Surely you are not trying to tell us, in effect, "Even if he's coarse and dumb, there are a lot of
coarse and dumb businessmen and people and politicians. They are entitled to a little
representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all Washingtons, Madisons,
Lincolns, Roosevelts, or Reagans."

I suppose we can't have all Washingtons, Madisons, Lincolns, Roosevelts, or Reagans,
never mind Brandeises, Frankfurters, Cardozos, or Antonin Scalias, for that matter. But
a country that couldn't do any better than to set up a likely race (barring, of course, some
miracle
at the Republican National Convention) between
Donaldus Minimus and Hilarious Rodent Clinton---two utter vulgarians neither of whom has
ever stood to even one degree against the contintuing metastasis of government, however
distinct their details---is a country that's going to make H.L. Mencken's maxim come even
more true than ever: Democracy---That system whereby the common people know what
they want and deserve to get it, good and hard
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:45:23 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

geronl

« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2016, 01:45:31 am »
Trump is the Benny Hinn of the GOP