Author Topic: Trump Interview - The Transcript (Cal Thomas and Trump discuss worldview, America, religion and more)  (Read 4082 times)

Offline mountaineer

by Cal Thomas Wed, 6/8/2016 | Tribune Content Agency, LLC
Interview with Donald Trump
By Cal Thomas
Tribune Content Agency
EXCERPTED
CT: My grandparents used to play a parlor game. It went like this: Tell me who you are without telling me your name or what you do. We have seen your tough exterior, but who are you at your core and what is your basic philosophy and worldview?

DT: I am a person who grew up with two wonderful parents and a wonderful family and a person who has done well in life. I went to great schools. Wharton School, a lot of great places. Education is very important. I think I understand education. I think I can straighten out our mess in education. And I’m a person who has, to a certain extent, redefined where I should be. I started off in Brooklyn and Queens and I wasn’t supposed to come to Manhattan. My father didn’t want to go to Manhattan for me, and I came to Manhattan and I have done a great job in Manhattan. And then I wrote a best-seller and I wrote numerous best-sellers. I wrote ‘The Art of the Deal’ and numerous other books. Some were number one best-sellers. I guess ‘The Art of the Deal’ is the best-selling business book of all time. I had a TV show called ‘The Apprentice’ and it’s one of the most successful reality shows in the history of television. And now I’m doing something else.

CT: President Obama has said America is not exceptional. I know you hold another view. A lot of people would like to know why you love America, besides the opportunity it has given you to be successful and make money. What is it about this country that, as president, you would seek to preserve, protect and defend, in the words of the oath of office?

DT: President Obama has been an unbelievable divider of this country, whether it’s rich and poor; white and black. One thing I had hoped Obama would be is a good cheerleader for the country. He’s really brought the opposite in spirit to the country. He’s been a very negative force. I think you see this when you see the tremendous division in the country, when you see Baltimore, when you see Ferguson and St. Louis. As far as the country is concerned, we have tremendous potential, but we’re not using it. I get the biggest rallies by far, much bigger than Bernie (Sanders), much bigger than anybody else. And the people are phenomenal. You know my theme is ‘Make America Great Again’ and I think it can be greater than ever before. But if we have four years of Hillary (Clinton), I don’t know if we can ever come back.   ...

CT: Yes, I know that. You have said you never felt the need to ask for God’s forgiveness, and yet repentance for one’s sins is a precondition to salvation. I ask you the question Jesus asked of Peter: Who do you say He is?

DT: I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won’t have to be asking for much forgiveness. As you know, I am Presbyterian and Protestant. I’ve had great relationships and developed even greater relationships with ministers. We have tremendous support from the clergy. I think I will be doing very well during the election with evangelicals and with Christians. In the Middle East — and this is prior to the migration — you had almost no chance of coming into the United States. Christians from Syria, of which there were many, many of their heads … chopped off. If you were a Muslim from Syria, it was one of the easiest places to come in (to the U.S.). I thought that was deplorable. I’m going to treat my religion, which is Christian, with great respect and care.

CT: Who do you say Jesus is?

DT: Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence. Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind.
FULL TRANSCRIPT
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

DT: Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence. Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind.

This must be some kind of Presbyterian thing.   Jesus as a Marine.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline RedHead

As you know, I am Presbyterian and Protestant.

Isn't that like saying, "As you know I'm a man and a human?"

Offline RedHead

Also did you notice that Trump didn't answer any of the questions?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

As you know, I am Presbyterian and Protestant.

Isn't that like saying, "As you know I'm a man and a human?"

Who cares?

Offline mountaineer

This must be some kind of Presbyterian thing.   Jesus as a Marine.
Actually, it's not very close at all to Presbyterian doctrine.  :shrug:

Offline RedHead

Who cares?

Certainly not Trump who's Presbyterianism goes back a whole 8 months or so. 

Offline sinkspur

Actually, it's not very close at all to Presbyterian doctrine.  :shrug:

I know.  I was attempting to make light of Trump, who likely couldn't spell Presbyterian if asked.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

I know.  I was attempting to make light of Trump, who likely couldn't spell Presbyterian if asked.
Indeed. I fear you are correct.

What struck me more from this interview was how he skit-skats around, never really answering the question, going off on tangents. Thomas asks, "Who do you say he (Jesus) is?" and Trump goes off on how much support he has from clergy. He's asked about preserving and protecting the Constitution, and responds that his rallies are bigger than Bernie's.    :thud:

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Reading his blather is more mind numbing than listening to it.

Offline Mechanicos

Some Calvinists believe Jesus did it all and there is nothing they have to do for salvation other then believe in Jesus.  So Security and Comfort are accurate for that. Not all Sects of Christianity teach a work requirement.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
New Category is open for discussion here on TBR

Worldview formation / Anthropology

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/board,116.0.html

Focus on ideas more than current events.
Check it out.

Offline mountaineer

Some Calvinists believe Jesus did it all and there is nothing they have to do for salvation other then believe in Jesus.  So Security and Comfort are accurate for that. Not all Sects of Christianity teach a work requirement.
In my 50 years or so in the Presbyterian Church (PCUSA, PCA and EPC), I've never heard any teaching resembling what appears to be  Mr. Trump's beliefs or understanding of scripture.

This is not the place to discuss Christian doctrine, however - the owners have asked that we not get into arguments over religion at the Briefing Room. My point was not that I disagree with his interpretation of "what is Christianity" or "who is Jesus," it's that he didn't answer any of Thomas's questions coherently or cogently.

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CHRISTIAN POST

URL: http://www.christianpost.com/news/donald-trump-ready-to-ask-god-for-forgiveness-but-not-much-of-it-164986/

by: Stoyan Zaimov

Republican presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump said in a recent interview that he is ready to ask God for forgiveness in his life, but hopes that he won't have to do it often.

Trump made the remarks in an interview with political columnist Cal Thomas on Wednesday, where he followed up on past comments when he had said he's unsure if he's ever asked God for forgiveness.

"I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won't have to be asking for much forgiveness. As you know, I am Presbyterian and Protestant. I've had great relationships and developed even greater relationships with ministers," Trump said.

"We have tremendous support from the clergy. I think I will be doing very well during the election with evangelicals and with Christians."

Back in July 2015 the billionaire businessman had said that "I try not make mistakes where I have to ask forgiveness."

He later followed that up by stating: "I go to communion and that's asking forgiveness, you know, it's a form of asking forgiveness."

Trump is scheduled to meet with 500 of the top evangelical and social conservative leaders in America on June 21 in New York City.

Some of those conservatives, including Family Research Council President Tony Perkins, revealed that the purpose of the meeting is to ascertain what Trump has to offer the country.

"I want to be actively supportive of a candidate who can help turn this nation around. With Trump – I'm not there yet. I hope to be there – but I'm not there right now," Perkins said back in May.

The Republican candidate has butted heads with some notable Evangelicals, however, such as Russell Moore, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, who has been highly critical of his campaign.

Trump tweeted back in May: "@drmoore Russell Moore is truly a terrible representative of Evangelicals and all of the good they stand for. A nasty guy with no heart!" after Moore had warned that supporting Trump is an "embrace of the very kind of moral and cultural decadence that conservatives have been saying for a long time is the problem."

In his interview with Thomas, Trump was asked to explain who Jesus Christ is to him, to which he answered:

"Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence," Trump said.

He added: "Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind."

The GOP candidate criticized Democratic presidential rival Hillary Clinton on a number of topics, and suggested he would be better suited to address ongoing persecution of Christians around the world.

"I have a strong temperament, but our country needs a strong temperament. You have people chopping off heads of Christians and others," Trump pointed out.

"Not since medieval times has anyone seen anything like this. I couldn't have built the great companies I've built if I didn't have a strong temperament. And she's (Clinton) got a weak temperament. She's a weak person. I think she would make a horrible president."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:45:07 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

The headline distorts his actual words, which is not uncommon.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SirLinksALot

Trump said this:

"I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won't have to be asking for much forgiveness."

How should the headline be re-worded so as not to distort what he said?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
"I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won't have to be asking for much forgiveness. As you know, I am Presbyterian and Protestant. I've had great relationships and developed even greater relationships with ministers," Trump said."

No distortion.  He said it.

But then notice how he immediately launches into himself and all the 'great relationships' he has with men.  Not his relationship with God, which he was asked point-blank about. 

Not a shred of humility in this guy, just unmitigated hubris on a level that makes Obama look like an amateur narcissist.

By their fruits we shall know them.

Trump will be worse than Obama if he gets in the WH.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Offline Idiot

Airtight reply.
Trump got misquoted AGAIN!....lololol

Seriously, the man needs our prayers.  He has no idea what salvation through Jesus Christ is.

Offline chae

when he said he never asked for forgiveness a few months ago, I had someone on TOS say "How do you know he's ever done anythings he needs forgiveness for?"

Wingnut

Trump got misquoted AGAIN!....lololol

Seriously, the man needs our prayers.  He has no idea what salvation through Jesus Christ is.

Trump always asks WWTJD before he does anything.

geronl

Trump doesn't know the first thing about Christianity

Offline Mod1

Two threads on the same topic merged.

Oceander

Trump doesn't need to; he knows he only has to pray to himself and he's the font of all wisdom.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace

He tries to fudge it and looks foolish, but.......... many evangelicals have voted for the man, so I guess they forgive his ignorance.  :shrug:
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta