Author Topic: A Latino’s Case For Trump  (Read 311 times)

HAPPY2BME

A Latino’s Case For Trump
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:36:32 pm »
http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/07/a-latinos-case-for-trump/

While Trump’s words sting, he has succeeded in placing comprehensive immigration reform at the top of the national consciousness for the first time since George W. Bush faced Al Gore 16 years ago. Ironically, we have Donald Trump to thank that the need for reform is front and center in the minds of Americans.

The further irony is that Donald Trump may be the only candidate in either party who can bridge the emotionally charged divisions that are the real obstacle to reform.

Just as it took a well-established anti-communist like Richard Nixon to take the first steps toward normalizing relations with the People’s Republic of China, it might require a Donald Trump to negotiate an immigration reform bill that can satisfy both sides. Few others have Trump’s credibility with the most virulent “nativist” forces to bring them to the table — and clearly, Trump is not concerned with consistency.

A President Trump would be a lot more likely to steer a compromise reform through a Republican-controlled House of Representatives than a President Hillary Clinton, even if she were inclined to do so. Donald Trump is not the perfect candidate, but he does have a record in business of bringing differing people together, and of being flexible enough to get things done.

While he wasn’t my first or even my second choice, I will take Donald Trump over a politician with a record of sitting on the sidelines and of playing cynical games with the lives of immigrant families.

Oceander

Re: A Latino’s Case For Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:38:46 pm »
Sorry, ain't buying.  No koolaid for me, thanks.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:42:39 pm »

=========================

You're going to need at least something to wash down all those sandwiches.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 03:15:59 pm »
The further irony is that Donald Trump may be the only candidate in either party who can bridge the emotionally charged divisions that are the real obstacle to reform.

Say what?  Trump is on the record that no Hispanic judge can fairly try his lawsuit because he wants to build a wall. He has said that Mexicans are murders, rapists and drug dealers, though he remains open the possibility that some might be good people.  He has complete and total lack of respect for Hispanics.  And he is the bridge?  Really?

Just as it took a well-established anti-communist like Richard Nixon to take the first steps toward normalizing relations with the People’s Republic of China, it might require a Donald Trump to negotiate an immigration reform bill that can satisfy both sides. Few others have Trump’s credibility with the most virulent “nativist” forces to bring them to the table — and clearly, Trump is not concerned with consistency.

As far as the "nativist" forces are concerned, Trump is their king.  What will there be to negotiate?

A President Trump would be a lot more likely to steer a compromise reform through a Republican-controlled House of Representatives than a President Hillary Clinton, even if she were inclined to do so. Donald Trump is not the perfect candidate, but he does have a record in business of bringing differing people together, and of being flexible enough to get things done.

Trump is on record as saying he will build a law and make Mexico pay for it.  He will round up and expel all 11 million illegals within three or four years.  Hispanic judges cannot judge him fairly.  Where is the compromise in all that?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 03:21:08 pm »

No one cares what you drink, ocean. Unless it's the Clinton chamomile tea? That could raise a few eyebrows among the Republican rank-and-file.