Author Topic: PROOF: @MegynKelly Caught Lying About Judge Gonzalo Curiel’s La Raza Membership to Bash @RealDonaldTrump  (Read 7374 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I don't know how much you know about foreign languages and the danger of trying to do direct translations word by word.....It never ever works!!

This is the groups own definition of the terminology:

What does the term “La Raza” mean?

The term “La Raza” has its origins in early 20th century Latin American literature and translates into English most closely as “the people” or, according to some scholars, “the Hispanic people of the New World.”  The term was coined by Mexican scholar José Vasconcelos to reflect the fact that the people of Latin America are a mixture of many of the world’s races, cultures, and religions.  Some people have mistranslated “La Raza” to mean “the race,” implying that it is a term meant to exclude others.  In fact, the full term coined by Vasconcelos, “la raza cósmica,” meaning “the cosmic people,” was developed to reflect not purity but the mixture inherent in the Hispanic people.  This is an inclusive concept, meaning that Hispanics share with all other peoples of the world a common heritage and destiny.

http://www.nclr.org/about-us/

Most of those with a knowledge of the Latin American culture understand the term La Raza as stated above. At least those without an agenda. La Raza is used in many other contexts also.  In Spain and the Americas Columbus Day is called Día de la Raza.

Sorry, I don't buy it.   The leaders of this organization aren't out there lobbying for the advancement of all people.  They are pushing for hispanics to the exclusion of anyone black, white or asian.   They are pushing for the "return" of the South West United States to Mexico and openly advocate for the current state of border lawlessness.

Its a racist organization whatever kind of frilly language is used.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline markomalley

It's *a* point, not *the* point.

A poorly-chosen organization title does not excuse Trump's supporters who intentionally distort that title to pursue their own defense of Trump.

I think the La Raza legal associations should choose some other name for themselves, and I think Trump's supporters are cynical and dishonest in their attempt to defame those organizations as a tactic to defame the judge.  The latter item is far worse than the former in my opinion.

Agreed, unless somebody does some research to show that officers of the group (or the group itself) supports the Chicano movement through their writings (op-eds etc) or actions (e.g., cases they take pro bono, etc).

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sorry, I don't buy it.   The leaders of this organization aren't out there lobbying for the advancement of all people.  They are pushing for hispanics to the exclusion of anyone black, white or asian.   They are pushing for the "return" of the South West United States to Mexico and openly advocate for the current state of border lawlessness.

Its a racist organization whatever kind of frilly language is used.

It's "The Race" not because of the name (that we're not supposed to parse, according to the bright fellow that chastised me for doing so), but because of their deeds.

All that said and done, I think it's irrelevant.  Trump should not have called the Judge's family history into question.  It does nothing to enlighten anybody on his relative guilt or innocence, it just inflames people, which is what Trump seems to be all about anyway.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
It's "The Race" not because of the name (that we're not supposed to parse, according to the bright fellow that chastised me for doing so), but because of their deeds.

All that said and done, I think it's irrelevant.  Trump should not have called the Judge's family history into question.  It does nothing to enlighten anybody on his relative guilt or innocence, it just inflames people, which is what Trump seems to be all about anyway.

I'd have to agree Trumps actions show poor judgement.  Something which is not entirely surprising.   It does show us more about who he is and how he will act as President.   

La Raza is a racist organization and anyone who is a member should be treated with the same disdain as David Duke.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
La Raza is a racist organization and anyone who is a member should be treated with the same disdain as David Duke.

:thumbsup:

(I live in AZ aka "Aztlán".  I ought to know.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:42:42 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: