Author Topic: Protests backfire as anti-American images push undecided voters to Trump  (Read 2698 times)

Offline markomalley

From the Washington Times:

The ugly protest scenes outside Donald Trump’s rallies are doing more damage to the protesters than to Mr. Trump’s political chances, according to analysts who say the violence and anti-American sentiments are backfiring.

Protesters in Albuquerque, New Mexico, last week toted Mexican flags, burned American flags and clashed with police, racking up $50,000 in damage to the neighborhood.

Perhaps even worse for the rioters, they are likely chasing undecided voters toward the side of the man they are protesting.

“When people show up throwing bottles and waving the Mexican flag, you have had a lot of people who may have not been willing to support Trump who see this and say the enemy of my enemy is my friend,” said former Rep. Tom Davis, who ran House Republicans’ campaign committee for two cycles a decade ago. “There is no question these are helping Trump, and Democrats know that.”

(remainder snipped)

Sadly, I would imagine that this analysis is exactly correct.

Offline sinkspur

They are helping Trump until Trump turns on Susana Martinez and mocks her.

This ain't 1968.    If Trump were a sympathetic figure, I'd agree with these analysts.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.

This ain't 1968.    If Trump were a sympathetic figure, I'd agree with these analysts.

I agree with these analysts, because these protesters push me toward casting a vote for Trump.

Offline sinkspur

I agree with these analysts, because these protesters push me toward casting a vote for Trump.

So Trump is a fit president because he gets protesters.

Got it.

Offline Mesaclone

Got it.

A man's enemies are often a better guide to his character than who his friends are...so yes, the protesters "demonstrate" his fitness rather than "make" him fit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:07:31 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Got it.
To be honest Sink, the actions and words of Trump's supporters push me away from Trump almost as much as Trump himself...and protesters who burn the flag and throw rocks at cops make me feel embarrassed.  I bet some uncommitted voters are turned off by the Trump protesters. 

Oceander

A man's enemies are often a better guide to his character than who his friends are...so yes, the protesters "demonstrate" his fitness rather than "make" him fit.

:baby:

Bwaaa!  Sinky won't vote for my "Daddy" Twump.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Nixon won in 1968, and won again in 1972 and a significant part of his appeal was "law and order" against protestors, demonstrators and rioters.

National Guardsmen shot several students in May 1970. If you look at our nation today, and it troubles you, perhaps makes you fearful, it is nothing compared to those years.

In 1980 part of Reagan's appeal was to that same "law and order" mind set.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I bet some uncommitted voters are turned off by the Trump protesters.

I have seen it. I know people who would never ever vote for Trump as a choice, who now support him, or at least say they support him, because of the Mexican protests.

The most common thing you will hear around almost any water cooler in the country is, "Why are they waving the Mexican flag!? Why not just go back to Mexico?" This is not said as a racist comment. This is people of all races expressing genuine confusion.

What do they want? Are they saying that they love Mexico? Then go back? Are they saying that they hate America? Are they saying that they want America to be Mexico? There does not seem to be a specific rational goal to their protests. I don't understand...

Es muy loco. No comprendo. It doesn't make any logical sense.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

There is never an excuse for violence at protests or burning the flag. Bu that should not translate into support for the psychopath targeted by the protesters. Just as anti-abortionists taking violent actions is wrong but should not translate into support for the abortionists.
Your right that it shouldn't, but it does. Your example of abortion clinic bombs and doctor assassinations is a good one.  The extreme actions of those right to life zealots hurt their cause and strengthened the resolve of pro-abortion enthusiasts.

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
From the Washington Times:

Sadly, I would imagine that this analysis is exactly correct.

George Soros may be a lot of things.... but he knows where to invest his money to get what he wants!! 

what he wants is another Democrat President...and he knows "his" way around covert political action
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
To be honest Sink, the actions and words of Trump's supporters push me away from Trump almost as much as Trump himself...and protesters who burn the flag and throw rocks at cops make me feel embarrassed.  I bet some uncommitted voters are turned off by the Trump protesters.

nothing is what it seems in the trump campaign...neither he nor his "protestors " 
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline Norm Lenhart

Well Granny never steered me wrong telling me you are who you associate with. So when I see crazy people like those animals over on FR posting pictires of Jesus Christ with Trump's head and face photoshopped on, I think back to just how right Granny was about such things.

I believe it was Alexander Hamilton who said that the enemy was better in their camp than yours. Cesar learned that lesson the hard way. Unfortunately the American voter seems to 'know better' every time such a situation arises. Then they get the knife in their back and blame the people that warned them it was coming.

Personally I think Hamilton was a lot smarter than Trump voters.

Offline Norm Lenhart

I have seen it. I know people who would never ever vote for Trump as a choice, who now support him, or at least say they support him, because of the Mexican protests.

The most common thing you will hear around almost any water cooler in the country is, "Why are they waving the Mexican flag!? Why not just go back to Mexico?" This is not said as a racist comment. This is people of all races expressing genuine confusion.

What do they want? Are they saying that they love Mexico? Then go back? Are they saying that they hate America? Are they saying that they want America to be Mexico? There does not seem to be a specific rational goal to their protests. I don't understand...

Es muy loco. No comprendo. It doesn't make any logical sense.

You should read up on Reconquista. There is no Southwest "America" at least to them. There is Atzlan and it belongs to Mexico. Those of us here are the invaders.

They 'ARE" in their Mexico. It's 'us' that is the problem.

Offline Mesaclone

You should read up on Reconquista. There is no Southwest "America" at least to them. There is Atzlan and it belongs to Mexico. Those of us here are the invaders.

They 'ARE" in their Mexico. It's 'us' that is the problem.

You are correct on the growing "Reconquista" movement here in the Southwest, and this is another part of why Trump's immigration approach including the wall is so critical in this election. Groups like MECHA and their affiliates are literally pervading our scholastic system and teaching segregated classes about the theft of the Southwest and how everyone must work to reclaim it for Mexico. This sounds absurd when you first hear of it, and many are quick to consider opposition to it to be hyperbolic and even bigoted...but this "Movimiento" is all too real and is gaining momentum. Amongst Hispanic youth in California and across the Southwest is simply becoming accepted that the Southwest is stolen territory taken  by a racist and imperialist power from Mexico...and that it is the responsibility of Hispanics to reverse this theft by "all means possible".

The Aztlan, Reconquista agenda of Mecha and others is a genuinely seditious and dangerous movement...and nobody at the national political level has the weil to oppose it...other than Mr. Trump.

Offline sinkspur

That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I think you're right that Trump's comments against Martinez hurt his cause, but I think you're wrong that the protestors don't help him.  Hell, for me, this election may be coming down to casting a vote out of spite, and if it does, it may be a matter of who I'd like to spite the most.  And people waving the Mexican flag and burning the American are quickly moving up the list.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

You are correct on the growing "Reconquista" movement here in the Southwest, and this is another part of why Trump's immigration approach including the wall is so critical in this election. Groups like MECHA and their affiliates are literally pervading our scholastic system and teaching segregated classes about the theft of the Southwest and how everyone must work to reclaim it for Mexico. This sounds absurd when you first hear of it, and many are quick to consider opposition to it to be hyperbolic and even bigoted...but this "Movimiento" is all too real and is gaining momentum. Amongst Hispanic youth in California and across the Southwest is simply becoming accepted that the Southwest is stolen territory taken  by a racist and imperialist power from Mexico...and that it is the responsibility of Hispanics to reverse this theft by "all means possible".

The Aztlan, Reconquista agenda of Mecha and others is a genuinely seditious and dangerous movement...and nobody at the national political level has the weil to oppose it...other than Mr. Trump.

I agree with this completely.  It is the single biggest reason -- along with the Supreme Court -- that I may be able to hold my bile and vote for Trump.

I would actually go a bit further.  I would modify your last sentence to say "nobody at the national political level has the will even to state openly that the movement/mindset exists."

Offline Mesaclone

That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read.

You might want to review your posting history before making such an assertion. You won't need to look too deeply so should only take you a few minutes.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I'd agree with the first part of your statement because of "often".  I'd just say that just as often, that's not true, so drawing any conclusions based just on who the opponents are is taking things too far.

The Communists hated the Nazis, but that didn't make the Nazis any better.  Nor the reverse.  Likewise, the violent student demonstrations that took place in 1968 happened at the Democratic Convention -- does that mean we should have supported Humphrey?  For that matter, the BLM protestors went after Bernie and O'Malley.  So does that make Bernie and O'Malley good guys?

Offline Mesaclone

I agree with this completely.  It is the single biggest reason -- along with the Supreme Court -- that I may be able to hold my bile and vote for Trump.

I would actually go a bit further.  I would modify your last sentence to say "nobody at the national political level has the will even to state openly that the movement/mindset exists."

It is astounding, Majorbill, and I must admit I was flabbergasted when I first moved here to AZ back in the late 90's. And things have gotten far worse since that time. MECHA and AZTLAN are not even especially controversial any more, particularly in parts of California and areas such as Tucson. I could not believe that public schools would be allowed to hold segregated classes (Hispanics only) with little to no outcry. Here in Phoenix there is still some opposition and the state AG and governors have been fighting this thing, but the courts have thwarted them repeatedly (9th circuit, as liberal as it gets).

A controversy blew up in Tucson a couple years ago when the regular MECHA teacher was out sick and a sub showed up to teach the class...and the sub was a white liberal. The students literally boycotted the poor man because he "couldn't understand the Hispanic experience of oppression". So this movement makes even standard liberalism look likes its arch conservative...this is literally a large and popular movement (particularly among Hispanic youth) that is seditious, calls for the use of force and routinely defines anyone white as an evil oppressor. Its just incredible, and yet nobody is talking about it outside of the border states. Except Mr. Trump, and I wish he would even more directly address these kinds of secession movements.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:06:38 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It is astounding, Majorbill, and I must admit I was flabbergasted when I first moved here to AZ back in the late 90's. And things have gotten far worse since that time. MECHA and AZTLAN are not even especially controversial any more, particularly in parts of California and areas such as Tucson. I could not believe that public schools would be allowed to hold segregated classes (Hispanics only) with little to no outcry. Here in Phoenix there is still some opposition and the state AG and governors have been fighting this thing, but the courts have thwarted them repeatedly (9th circuit, as liberal as it gets).

A controversy blew up in Tucson a couple years ago when the regular MECHA teacher was out sick and a sub showed up to teach the class...and the sub was a white liberal. The students literally boycotted the poor man because he "couldn't understand the Hispanic experience of oppression". So this movement makes even standard liberalism look likes its arch conservative...this is literally a large and popular movement (particularly among Hispanic youth) that is seditious, calls for the use of force and routinely defines anyone white as an evil oppressor. Its just incredible, and yet nobody is talking about it outside of the border states. Except Mr. Trump, and I wish he would even more directly address these kinds of secession movements.

To be honest, I'd like to hear Trump call this out more than he does.  The protestors are out there, and that does send a message at some level.  But to have him call out the Reconquista movement, MECHA, etc.., and talk about not being allowed to fly the American flag, etc....that's the kind of thing that bothers a lot of people.  But you have to be somewhat clever about how you say it -- stick to the facts about those radical movements while making it very clear how much we welcome and accept those Latinos who are patriotic Americans.

Hadn't thought of this is a long time, but I had a corporal in the 80's -- Mexican descent -- who was great.  And he complained about those kinds of radical, even way back then.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
I think you're right that Trump's comments against Martinez hurt his cause, but I think you're wrong that the protestors don't help him. Hell, for me, this election may be coming down to casting a vote out of spite, and if it does, it may be a matter of who I'd like to spite the most.  And people waving the Mexican flag and burning the American are quickly moving up the list.

Exactly. 

Offline Mesaclone

To be honest, I'd like to hear Trump call this out more than he does.  The protestors are out there, and that does send a message at some level.  But to have him call out the Reconquista movement, MECHA, etc.., and talk about not being allowed to fly the American flag, etc....that's the kind of thing that bothers a lot of people.  But you have to be somewhat clever about how you say it -- stick to the facts about those radical movements while making it very clear how much we welcome and accept those Latinos who are patriotic Americans.

Hadn't thought of this is a long time, but I had a corporal in the 80's -- Mexican descent -- who was great.  And he complained about those kinds of radical, even way back then.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I have a Mexican-American colleague at work (fellow bomb dog guy) who's family dates back to the 19th century in California. He and his family members are adamantly pro-Trump and anti-illegal immigration...and are disgusted by the flag burning, pro Mexico crap that has been happening at
Trump's rally's. I've found that a lot of the older, traditional Mexican families who've been here for generations have a very patriotic, strongly pro-church, and adamantly pro law and order attitude that newer immigrants seem to lack. So my point is not to lump all Hispanics into one big group as the media tends to do...but also to point out that this new immigrant wave is radically anti-American to the point of seditious. And I'm with you that this has to become a clear centerpoint of this election. And it has to be brought out skillfully. Nobody is targeting legal immigrants or even those who genuinely want to become American, but we will not stand for those who hate America but come here to suck from our teat while disregarding our laws and freedoms. It really is an under the radar outrage, and it amazes me that its not being spoken of every day by our GOP leadership (OK, not amazed...more like disgusted).

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It really is an under the radar outrage, and it amazes me that its not being spoken of every day by our GOP leadership (OK, not amazed...more like disgusted).

They're scared.  They're intimidated by the PC media, and scared about what will be said about them if they say it.  It's too bad, really, because I think it is one of those "Emperors New Clothes" subjects where once it is broached properly, there will be a lot more people willing to agree publicly.  The left is ripe for a massive PC counter-attack on the issue of what it means to be Americans -- they're the ones endorsing dividing Americans from each other in terms of that whole Reconquista issue, BLM, etc....

And it has to be brought out skillfully.

And, well....that's kind of the problem.  We do have a guy who is willing to do it, but the "skillfully" part....

Dammit.