Author Topic: FLASHBACK — Bill Kristol’s Candidate: It’s ‘Important to Say’ White Working Class Communities ‘Deserve to Die’  (Read 1710 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/06/01/flashback-kristols-candidate-white-working-class-communities-deserve-to-die/

According to new reports, The Weekly Standard’s Bill Kristol wants fellow professional Republican and National Review staff writer, David French, to run an independent presidential campaign.

The prospect of a French run has received some support via Twitter from professional Republicans who oppose the candidate selected by the voters. However, French’s prior controversial writings could alienate a core constituency of the American electorate— namely, white working-class voters.

While Donald Trump has called on the GOP to become a “worker’s party”— a development Sen. Jeff Sessions called for two years ago, ironically, in the pages of the National Review— French has defended the idea that white working-class communities “deserve to die.”

Specifically, French wrote a piece in support of Kevin D. Williamson, who had said:

The truth about these dysfunctional, downscale communities is that they deserve to die. Economically, they are negative assets. Morally, they are indefensible. Forget all your cheap theatrical Bruce Springsteen crap. Forget your sanctimony about struggling Rust Belt factory towns and your conspiracy theories about the wily Orientals stealing our jobs. Forget your goddamned gypsum, and, if he has a problem with that, forget Ed Burke, too. The white American underclass is in thrall to a vicious, selfish culture whose main products are misery and used heroin needles. Donald Trump’s speeches make them feel good. So does OxyContin. What they need isn’t analgesics, literal or political. They need real opportunity, which means that they need real change, which means that they need U-Haul.

French described Williamson’s piece as “excellent” and said that Williamson’s words were “fundamentally true and important to say.”

French went on to dismiss the struggles white working class Americans endure.

“Citizens of the world’s most prosperous nation, they face challenges — of course — but no true calamities,” French wrote.

While French suggests that the decline of America’s middle class and manufacturing power is no true calamity, others could argue that the greater a nation or culture, the more sorrowful it is to witness its decline — much the same way that history would mourn the destruction of the Palace of Versailles more than the totaling of Justin Bieber’s car.

French insists that the devastation of the working-class’ livelihoods is unrelated to failed federal policies such as mass immigration:

have seen the challenges of the white working-class first-hand. Simply put, Americans are killing themselves and destroying their families at an alarming rate. No one is making them do it. The economy isn’t putting a bottle in their hand. Immigrants aren’t making them cheat on their wives or snort OxyContin. Obama isn’t walking them into the lawyer’s office to force them to file a bogus disability claim.

French, instead, suggests that the decimation of these communities is due to the laziness of the American worker:

Millions of Americans aren’t doing their best. Indeed, they’re barely trying. My church in Kentucky made a determined attempt to reach kids and families that were falling between the cracks, and it was consistently astounding how little effort most parents and their teen children made to improve their lives. If they couldn’t find a job in a few days — or perhaps even as little as a few hours — they’d stop looking. If they got angry at teachers or coaches, they’d drop out of school. If they fought with their wife, they had sex with a neighbor. And always — always — there was a sense of entitlement. And that’s where disability or other government programs kicked in. They were there, beckoning, giving men and women alternatives to gainful employment. You don’t have to do any work (your disability lawyer does all the heavy lifting), you make money, and you get drugs.

Mr. French’s blame-the-victim approach is notable for two reasons. First, it presents a novel view of human sociology in which people can lose their cultural pride, their means of economic survival, their sense of identity, their self-worth, and even suffer direct discrimination with no corresponding fallout. Second, it underscores one of the unique aspects of professional Republicanism. While professional Democrats advocate for the use of government power on behalf of their base, professional Republicans like Mr. French seem to argue that their own base deserves what’s coming and, as penance, should be left defenseless.

When readers responded with outrage to French’s piece, French doubled down in a post entitled “The Great White Working-Class Debate: Just Because I’m ‘Nasty’ Doesn’t Mean I’m Wrong.”

In recent decades, these white working class communities — and their inhabitants — have been economically devastated and are quite literally dying off. A study by Princeton economists revealed that white, middle-aged working-class Americans without a college degree are experiencing a rapid rise in morbidity. The report found that the rise in their death rates was tied to, what The New York Times described as the “pessimistic outlook among whites about their financial futures.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Info to mull over for certain.  Pretty radical.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Whatever worthwhile points there may have been in the article were deservedly lost in the ridiculous overgeneralizations.

Offline sinkspur

Trump, after all, is promising to give all these down-and-outers jobs, so it's no wonder Trumpbart is telling them to just stay where they are and wait for their Messiah to bring work to their dead communities.

Yes, French supported Williamson's contention that the best thing to do for these people is to give them a U-Haul and tell them to move. That is, after all, what my parents did and millions of people have done throughout the years.

But, if you're on the dole, the Democrats promise to keep you there, and Trump promises to get you off by giving you a job.

Meanwhile, these sad sacks stay on the dole.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
French and Williamson speak the hard truth.   Lots of lazy white folks think their problems come from the immigrants that Trump savages on their behalf,  but the reality is poor motivation and bad choices have a lot to do with it.   

Donald Trump’s speeches make them feel good. So does OxyContin. What they need isn’t analgesics, literal or political. They need real opportunity, which means that they need real change, which means that they need U-Haul.

I remember reading Williamson's piece when it first came out,  and cheering it.   What the nation needs is for government to create the conditions for economic growth.   What lazy folks used to the welfare and recreational drug lifestyle choose to do with such opportunity is up to them.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Hit piece form Trumpbart- cobbled together with hand-picked quotes not attributable to French himself. For example: French wrote a piece in support of Kevin D. Williamson, who had said:...."

Misleading and dishonest article. It sounds as if French is a proponent of - gasp!- hard work and personal responsibility. How awful/s.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline MBB1984

That's going to leave a mark.

Most people will remember Mr. French as a great butler on Family Affair.  LOL!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

French and Williamson speak the hard truth.   Lots of lazy white folks think their problems come from the immigrants that Trump savages on their behalf,  but the reality is poor motivation and bad choices have a lot to do with it.   

I wish you conservatives would stop seeing everything through the prism of race.   **nononono*

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
At the same time, the National Review had an article on how immigration is hurting the GOP. I think that has been more of the concern.

Offline RoosGirl

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432796/working-class-whites-have-moral-responsibilities-defense-kevin-williamson

This is the link to the actual article that the Breitbart article is talking about.  French is right; he is responding to another article that specifically talks about the failures of whites and so French addresses that directly.  But I think he makes it clear that whites are not the only ones that have that responsibility of always doing their best and not allowing any excuses for why they have not.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
  But I think he makes it clear that whites are not the only ones that have that responsibility of always doing their best and not allowing any excuses for why they have not.

Of course.  Laziness and shiftlessness are not confined to any one race.   Conservatives advocate a hand up, not a handout.   

I . . . have seen the challenges of the white working-class first-hand. Simply put, Americans are killing themselves and destroying their families at an alarming rate. No one is making them do it. The economy isn’t putting a bottle in their hand. Immigrants aren’t making them cheat on their wives or snort OxyContin. Obama isn’t walking them into the lawyer’s office to force them to file a bogus disability claim.

Gotta get off your butt and live right.   You can't be in thrall to opiates - including the opiate of Donald Trump assuring you that your lack of prosperity is someone else's fault. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:02:57 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I read both the original article, French's commentary, and his subsequent article.  The problem is that his article was written specifically to be provocative from an academic perspective, and therefore doesn't include the kind of bet-hedging that someone concerned about blowback might include.  In essence, he rather broadly condemns a large group of people without every really noting that those folks have any legitimate complaints at all.  A hard-working coal miner in West Virginia out of work because of Obama's regulations, and facing Hillary's threat to destroy their jobs permanently, is not going to take too kindly to being called a meth-head, who beats his kids and cheats on his wife.  Essentially, French bought into the stereotype.   The only thing missing was that he didn't make fun of people who shop at Walmart and watch NASCAR.

I suppose the original author and French both though it was funny to be over the top, and frankly, probably could have cared less if they offended white, working class people anyway.  They're not part of their target subscribers. 

It's the kind of article you might write to start a discussion at National Review or the Weekly Standard.  But it's not the type of article you'd like to have on your resume if you're going to be asking for the votes of white, working class Republicans.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:56:55 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline RoosGirl

I read both the original article, French's commentary, and his subsequent article.  The problem is that his article was written specifically to be provocative from an academic perspective, and therefore doesn't include the kind of bet-hedging that someone concerned about blowback might include.  In essence, he rather broadly condemns a large group of people without every really noting that those folks have any legitimate complaints at all.  A hard-working coal miner in West Virginia out of work because of Obama's regulations, and facing Hillary's threat to destroy their jobs permanently, is not going to take too kindly to being called a meth-head, who beats his kids and cheats on his wife.  Essentially, French bought into the stereotype.   The only thing missing was that he didn't make fun of people who shop at Walmart and watch NASCAR.

I suppose the original author and French both though it was funny to be over the top, and frankly, probably could have cared less if they offended white, working class people anyway.  They're not part of their target subscribers. 

It's the kind of article you might write to start a discussion at National Review or the Weekly Standard.  But it's not the type of article you'd like to have on your resume if you're going to be asking for the votes of white, working class Republicans.

I didn't take it all that he was talking about your average out of work miner, in your example, that are actively trying to improve their situation.  He's talking about the people who make the decision to give up, let the gov't take care of them/fraudulently take gov't handouts or head down the road of substance, and find many excuses for why they cannot get ahead in the world.

Silver Pines

I didn't take it all that he was talking about your average out of work miner, in your example, that are actively trying to improve their situation.  He's talking about the people who make the decision to give up, let the gov't take care of them/fraudulently take gov't handouts or head down the road of substance, and find many excuses for why they cannot get ahead in the world.

That was my take, as well.  Also, he seemed to be writing from firsthand experience...said he was, in fact.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Exactly right. French is advocating for personal responsibility.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Norm Lenhart

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/06/01/flashback-kristols-candidate-white-working-class-communities-deserve-to-die/

And he's 100% correct.  Every one of those rust bet Apalachian disasters is a disaster because they are run by Democrats pandering rather than governing. The correct thing to do is leave.

White, brown, purple, leave. And let the special snowflakes of whatever race devolve into Roadwarrior scenarios. People staying there only hurt themselves and their kids, condemning them to their own cycle of poverty.

Offline RoosGirl

I will also add, for me the coal miners are a horrible example to use to get me to feel sorry for an entire industry.  They allowed their union to endorse Obama who stood there and told them he was going to bankrupt them.  They're getting what they endorsed.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Right_in_Virginia opines:
"I wish you conservatives would stop seeing everything through the prism of race."

The problem is, almost everything these days (as seen by non-whites) IS "seen through the prism of race". And even the leftist whites be jumpin' on that bandwagon.

That's what happens when diversity becomes the meme.
It's what happens when nations admit so many who are unlike themselves.
It's what happens when we enact laws that grant special status to certain groups based on their race or ethnicity.

The moment someone says "this isn't about race" -- it becomes that.
The minute someone blurts out, "I'm not a racist" -- he is surrendering to the other side.

Sometimes I think that Eric Holder was right, when he made his "Nation of Cowards" comment regarding race in America.

The minute the subject is raised, conservative whites become....  cowards -- and then try to change the subject.

Offline sinkspur

Right_in_Virginia opines:
"I wish you conservatives would stop seeing everything through the prism of race."

The problem is, almost everything these days (as seen by non-whites) IS "seen through the prism of race". And even the leftist whites be jumpin' on that bandwagon.

That's what happens when diversity becomes the meme.
It's what happens when nations admit so many who are unlike themselves.
It's what happens when we enact laws that grant special status to certain groups based on their race or ethnicity.

The moment someone says "this isn't about race" -- it becomes that.
The minute someone blurts out, "I'm not a racist" -- he is surrendering to the other side.

Sometimes I think that Eric Holder was right, when he made his "Nation of Cowards" comment regarding race in America.

The minute the subject is raised, conservative whites become....  cowards -- and then try to change the subject.

What are you going to do about me, big boy? I'm white, born in America, and I am IN NO WAY LIKE YOU in the way you view other races.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.