Author Topic: Unconventional #18: Inside the new book that details how GOP delegates could wriggle out of nominating Trump (and more!)  (Read 7741 times)

Offline Leto

Republicans HAVE voted in the Primary. They are the only relevant Sub Set of The People at issue here.  They have Voted for Trump to be the winner of this Primary in Historic record breaking Numbers. You know this. The Primary happened you cannot erase it pretending The People did not Pick Trump.

THe convention delegates have no obligation to certify a suicide pact/
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
If Trump continues on the way he’s been…he might lose a good portion of his support and it might be enough to convince delegates to withhold their vote on the first round of voting, so that he can’t get the 1237, and it will go to a 2nd vote.  Then if that happens, the chances of Cruz getting the delegates votes is pretty good.  So, IMO, there’s still a chance Cruz could get nominated.  It’s happened before, a couple times, in history.   

Please, Dear Lord, help our country; allow [the above to] happen :0001: ..

America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Please, Dear Lord, help our country; allow [the above to] happen :0001: ..

I'm afraid the time for chastisement has come.  50+million innocents murdered, and still no repentance.   A generation has passed and God held back.  Perhaps, now is the time for vengeance.
Former Republican.

Offline Mesaclone

The level of delusion here is just...astounding.

Trump has more than enough delegates....BOUND delegates...and the rules on the first ballot have zero chance of being changed. Its such a weak pipe dream, its almost embarrassing to see people hoping for it...it has exactly no chance whatsoever of happening.

The time to be in denial is long past.

Donald Trump is the GOP nominee, and Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee. Your actions will determine which becomes the next president...and by "your" I refer to every one of us.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Trump has more than enough delegates....BOUND delegates...and the rules on the first ballot have zero chance of being changed. Its such a weak pipe dream, its almost embarrassing to see people hoping for it...it has exactly no chance whatsoever of happening.

Donald Trump is the GOP nominee, and Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee. Your actions will determine which becomes the next president...and by "your" I refer to every one of us.

You're the one in denial.   Trump WILL be defeated.   The only question is whether he will be defeated at the convention, or defeated in November.

If you support Trump, you're enabling Clinton.     

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?

Just as embarrassing to see people hoping Trump is their savior.....like they did with Obama....it has exactly no chance whatsoever of being true.

I think those believing in Trump, in what he says he'll do, in how great HE will make America, are the delusional ones, in reality.

And should Hillary become the next president...that's all on YOU.  It's YOU and your ilk who have chosen to support and endorse a SERIOUSLY flawed candidate.  We've told you from the beginning, we won't support him and we've given tons of logical, rational, reasonable reasons why.

It's not on us, that you continue on with your "pipe dream" of making him your savior.

Offline Mesaclone

You're the one in denial.   Trump WILL be defeated.   The only question is whether he will be defeated at the convention, or defeated in November.

If you support Trump, you're enabling Clinton.   

Like you...despite your delusions of foresight...I have no crystal ball and cannot declare a winner in the general election. As of today, the two candidates are in a virtual tie, within the margin of error in the RCP average of polls.

As for the primary, Trump has already won. I know you don't want or like that, but no amount of wishing is going to change that fact. Its...confulish :laugh: to continue with this "how can we stop him" stuff when its simply not in the realm of possibility.

As to the general election, as I said...the winner will be one of the two party nominees who are now essentially tied in the polls. What ALL of us do moving forward will determine if its Hillary or Trump...so you have to ask yourself, how YOUR actions will effect that dichotomous choice.

Offline Mesaclone

Just as embarrassing to see people hoping Trump is their savior.....like they did with Obama....it has exactly no chance whatsoever of being true.

I think those believing in Trump, in what he says he'll do, in how great HE will make America, are the delusional ones, in reality.

And should Hillary become the next president...that's all on YOU.  It's YOU and your ilk who have chosen to support and endorse a SERIOUSLY flawed candidate.  We've told you from the beginning, we won't support him and we've given tons of logical, rational, reasonable reasons why.

It's not on us, that you continue on with your "pipe dream" of making him your savior.

But nobody hopes he's a savior. Like you with Cruz, his supporters believe he is the best man to turn the nation around and fix as much of what's broken as is feasibly possible. That's it.

Whether Hillary becomes president...and the polls show her tied with our GOP nominee...will depend on what WE all do moving forward. So we are ALL accountable for how WE impact the outcome via our actions from now till then. But quit fooling yourself that there are more than two choices...one of the party nominees WILL be president. Its Trump or its Clinton. That's it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 05:55:34 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Mechanicos

Nope.   Being a GOP delegate doesn't obligate one to join a political suicide pact.  Trump is toxic, not only because he'll ensure Hillary's presidency, but because he'll take down the GOP House and Senate with him.

What you need to understand about the NeverTrumps is that we, too, want to defeat Hillary Clinton.   To do that, we need a candidate other than Trump.   It CAN'T BE DONE with Trump - he's too effing crazy.   

Seriously,  what we should be talking about to Trump supporters - at least those who want to defeat Clinton - is what changes would they want to see in the GOP platform in order to accept a compromise candidate who can win.   I think that's a viable way ahead - acknowledge the concerns that have driven the Trump movement but understand that the man himself is too flawed and dangerous to be President.   

Actually it does obligate them to do their agreed duty. They are representatives of their State, not free agents per their own State rules. Bound means Bound. Any funny business with Bound gets voided and the ones doing it replaced since its not a representative republic anymore.

You better look up what BOUND means and the obligations that imposes with respect to the people of the State they represent.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Mechanicos

THe convention delegates have no obligation to certify a suicide pact/
The Bound delegates do - they are under their State Party rules and the RNC can enforce those rules at the convention by removing and replacing and sanctioning all the ones who violate their obligation.  You will not be allowed to destroy the party.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Actually it does obligate them to do their agreed duty. They are representatives of their State, not free agents per their own State rules. Bound means Bound. Any funny business with Bound gets voided and the ones doing it replaced since its not a representative republic anymore.

You better look up what BOUND means and the obligations that imposes with respect to the people of the State they represent.

@Jazzhead  The delegates are representatives of their party.  Their only obligation is to comply with their state party rules.   In most states it is tradition for the delegate to vote as the election went, but its not required.   They certainly aren't State representatives nor does their activities change or impact the representative republic. 

It is the candidates DUTY to earn the nomination.  Something Trump is ignoring as he tries to bully his way into office.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

The Bound delegates do - they are under their State Party rules and the RNC can enforce those rules at the convention by removing and replacing and sanctioning all the ones who violate their obligation.  You will not be allowed to destroy the party.

Trump is the one seeking to destroy the Republican party.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
As for the primary, Trump has already won.

He has won primaries, he has not yet won the nomination. Since Indiana, Trump's been behaving like a buffoon - a racist buffoon.   The delegates must still vote, and they can vote their consciences.   

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I knew there had been contested conventions, but I didn't think there had ever been a time when a nominee had won the popular vote and not ended up as the final nominee.  Looks like maybe just one, Teddy Roosevelt, and even then since most of the states did not have primaries I don't know if I would compare it to this year.  Or did I miss one?

We've also had two president who lost the popular vote. It don't mean much.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
<Dukes of Hazzard Voice>

Well looks like 'ol Donald got himself railroaded and hogtied!

</Dukes of Hazzard Voice>

Offline driftdiver

He has won primaries, he has not yet won the nomination. Since Indiana, Trump's been behaving like a buffoon - a racist buffoon.   The delegates must still vote, and they can vote their consciences.

How anyone can still support Trump is amazing.   After all of the screaming, insults, and boorish behavior any rational person should be looking for a way out of this mess before November.

Offline Mechanicos

@Jazzhead  The delegates are representatives of their party.  Their only obligation is to comply with their state party rules.   In most states it is tradition for the delegate to vote as the election went, but its not required.   They certainly aren't State representatives nor does their activities change or impact the representative republic. 

It is the candidates DUTY to earn the nomination.  Something Trump is ignoring as he tries to bully his way into office.
No they are Representatives of their State Party, That is who put them there to represent the State party's interests under contract. But for their State they would not be a Delegate. Bound means Bound and its under State rules not convention rules. The only free agents are the Unbound. So your little conspiracy cannot win and will cause problems for those who try to implement it.

Offline Mechanicos

Mexican is not a race. Only dishonest Bigots claim what he said was racial.

Offline driftdiver

No they are Representatives of their State Party, That is who put them there to represent the State party's interests under contract. But for their State they would not be a Delegate. Bound means Bound and its under State rules not convention rules. The only free agents are the Unbound. So your little conspiracy cannot win and will cause problems for those who try to implement it.

You keep using state with a capital S.   The parties can do just about anything they want within their party.  The candidate just has to comply with State election laws.   Which pretty much means our alternatives are limited to those who have already filed in each of the States.

Offline RoosGirl

You better look up the law and already ruled upon court cases, including SCOTUS rulings, that say there are no bound delegates.

Offline Mechanicos

You better look up the law and already ruled upon court cases, including SCOTUS rulings, that say there are no bound delegates.
And you better look up enforceable agreements which they all have obligating them to the State they represent.Most took money for the trip, thus its a contract.  They can vote however they want (not really, the RNC will remove them and put on an alternate) and they will suffer from their State for breaching the Agreement. Besides, there are so few of the Cruz people willing to risk it and Trump has a 300 Plus delegate cushion. I would not want to be a Cruz Cult Rules committee delegate angering over a thousand Trump supporters there inside with them at the Convention.

Oh the law is not what you think. The actual Ruling was a Party has the  right to refuse to seat delegates that are not in  compliance with the national party's rules.  Democratic Party v. La Follette. The RNC has already made it clear Trump is the Nominee. In effect this means that the RNC can void any funny business there, remove the offending delegates and use an alternate. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:46:09 pm by Mechanicos »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Mexican is not a race. Only dishonest Bigots claim what he said was racial.

Paul Ryan said it clearly enough -  Trump's statement that Judge Curiel cannot be impartial merely because of his ethnicity is a textbook racist comment.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I would not want to be a Cruz Cult Rules committee delegate angering over a thousand Trump supporters there inside with them at the Convention.

I get your drift - Trump's a mobster and his minions are thugs ready to do his bidding.   You should be ashamed of yourself.