Author Topic: Rubio: I'm willing to speak for Trump at the convention  (Read 3845 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio: I'm willing to speak for Trump at the convention
« on: May 26, 2016, 09:23:24 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/marco-rubio-republican-national-convention-223627

By Nolan D. McCaskill

05/26/16 04:48 PM EDT
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Marco Rubio is willing to go above and beyond supporting Donald Trump, exceeding the requirements of the loyalty pledge he signed last fall to support the eventual nominee.

In an excerpt of an interview published Thursday with CNN’s Jake Tapper, the Florida senator said he will attend the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, where he’s willing to have a speaking role and expects his delegates to be released.

“Yeah, my sense is I’m gonna go to the convention,” Rubio said. “And I don’t know if I’ll have a role in the convention, but I have a lot of people going there that are supporters.”

“Yeah,” Rubio responded when asked if he would speak on Trump’s behalf at the convention. “I wanna be helpful. I don’t wanna be harmful because I don’t want Hillary Clinton to be president.”

Since suspending his campaign following a home-state loss in the March 15 Florida primary, Rubio has maintained that he still has policy disagreements with Trump but indicated earlier this month that he would vote for the real estate mogul over Hillary Clinton, later explaining that he was honoring his pledge.

“Look, my policy differences with Donald Trump — I spent 11 months talking about them so I think they’re well understood. That said, I don’t want Hillary Clinton to be president,” he continued. “If there’s something I can do to help that from happening and it’s helpful to the cause, I most certainly would be honored to be considered for that.”

The Florida senator also said he would release his delegates, though his campaign “basically, technically” has already done so, he explained, “because Donald is gonna have a majority number and at that point it’ll be irrelevant.”

“So if we haven’t done so already, we will,” he said.

Despite how far he’s willing to go to support the billionaire, it stops at joining his ticket. “In my view, that wouldn’t be the right choice for him,” Rubio said of being chosen as Trump’s running mate. “He’s earned the nomination and deserves to have a running mate that more fully embraces the things he stands for.”

Rubio’s 2016 campaign is over, but he agreed that it’s “a safe assumption” that his failed bid for president won’t be his final run for public office.

“But I don’t know where I’m gonna be in two years. I don’t know,” he said. “I can tell you I enjoy public service. If there’s an opportunity to serve again in a way that I feel passionate about, I most certainly think I’d explore it. But I don’t know where I’m gonna be in two years. I don’t know what my life will look like then.”

Though he has deemed it "unlikely," Rubio could return to the U.S. Senate. He faces a June 24 filing deadline to run for reelection, and Republican senators are warm to another term for Rubio, especially because there's fear that the five-person GOP primary in Florida could flip his seat to Democrats.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Rubio: I'm willing to speak for Trump at the convention
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:31:28 pm »
Put Rubio in the Hall of Shame as well. 

You're gonna get fleas Marco.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:31:45 pm »
More Party Over Principles from the usual Comrades

If Hillary changed parties, she'd get the same supporters

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »
If he does it will end his political career.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:35:25 pm »
If he does it will end his political career.

He'll give one of those speeches blasting Hillary and the Democrats, but barely mentioning Trump.  Nothing wrong with that.

Offline American Patriot

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:45:59 am »
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we later find that Rubio gets the VP slot...

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 02:05:54 am »

Sounds like his released delegates will be given the nod by Rubio to support Trump.

Good for him.  This is how adults behave in a political party looking forward to victory in November.   :patriot:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:13:29 am »
Sounds like his released delegates will be given the nod by Rubio to support Trump.

Good for him.  This is how adults behave in a political party looking forward to victory in November.   :patriot:

What kind of man says "Trump simply can't represent us as the nominee" then turns around and endorses him?

A man who will compromise his deepest principles, that's who. 

What made Trump suddenly acceptable?  That he's not Hillary?

What a sorry reason to support a political candidate, especially when, as I believe, Trump is no better than Hillary.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 02:33:07 am »
Put Rubio in the Hall of Shame as well. 

You're gonna get fleas Marco.

He will speak of supporting the party because he intends to run again in 2020.  We will see how strongly he campaigns for Trump.  I doubt it will be energetic.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:15 am »
Just STFU and go away, Rubio. Nobody likes you.
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 02:51:41 am »
Really, "little Marco"?

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:58:46 am »
Rubio's campaign for 2020 has already started. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 04:06:09 am »
Little Marco will come to regret this. I think it is possible he is angling for VP since he is very ambitious.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 01:40:52 pm »
He'll give one of those speeches blasting Hillary and the Democrats, but barely mentioning Trump.  Nothing wrong with that.

No, there is nothing wrong with Rubio blasting Hillary.  However, if he comes in defense of Trump or supports him he again loses credibility. He stated that #1 he was leaving politics and #2 he stated he could not rally behind him.  Now Trump is asking Marco to run for the Senate to keep a GOP majority.  What the heck is Trump smokin'?  Marco stated he's leaving and doesn't like his job in the Senate in the first place. Marco lost his home state in the primaries.  He would lose big time, especially to Ron DeSantis.

https://www.desantis2016.com/

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-urges-marco-rubio-to-reconsider-a-senate-bid-2016-5
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 01:57:25 pm »
No, there is nothing wrong with Rubio blasting Hillary.  However, if he comes in defense of Trump or supports him he again loses credibility. He stated that #1 he was leaving politics and #2 he stated he could not rally behind him.  Now Trump is asking Marco to run for the Senate to keep a GOP majority.  What the heck is Trump smokin'?  Marco stated he's leaving and doesn't like his job in the Senate in the first place. Marco lost his home state in the primaries.  He would lose big time, especially to Ron DeSantis.

https://www.desantis2016.com/

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-urges-marco-rubio-to-reconsider-a-senate-bid-2016-5

I want that seat to stay Republican because every single seat is going to be critical in attempting to hold a Senate majority.  If the polling shows that DeSantis will beat Rubio, then I don't think Rubio will enter the race.  Otherwise, I want whichever guy has the best chance of holding on to that seat.  If that's DeSantis, fine by me.  From the polls I've seen, as things stand right now, DeSantis is still polling in single digits in the GOP primary.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/poll-no-front-runner-in-florida-senate-race-120647
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:00:13 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:09 pm »
Rubio can try to claim his differences with Trump were only about policy, but it's simply not true.  He said that Donald was a con artist, an erratic individual, and a lunatic....also that he was wholly unprepared to be president, and that he would bring about chaos.

His Rick Perryesque 180-degree flip means that he's just one more who doesn't have a shred of credibility left in him.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 02:48:58 pm »
Rubio can try to claim his differences with Trump were only about policy, but it's simply not true.  He said that Donald was a con artist, an erratic individual, and a lunatic....also that he was wholly unprepared to be president, and that he would bring about chaos.

His Rick Perryesque 180-degree flip means that he's just one more who doesn't have a shred of credibility left in him.

Again, if he starts singing Trump's praises like Perry or Christie, I'd agree.  If he just does it by attacking Hillary and saying that Trump is the preferable option, I personally can respect that.  I understand those people who don't like Trump, but think he'll do less damage than Hillary.  Maybe that's because I'm personally still torn as to whether or not I'm going to vote for him, or just sit this one out.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 02:50:23 pm »
Rubio's endorsement means nothing to Trump:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 02:52:49 pm »
Good to see Rubio coming into the light and honoring his obligations as a member of the GOP and more importantly, as an American.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 03:29:22 pm »
More evidence that the GOP Establishment is A-OK with Donald Trump as the party nominee.   10294
Let it burn.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 03:32:45 pm »
I want that seat to stay Republican because every single seat is going to be critical in attempting to hold a Senate majority.  If the polling shows that DeSantis will beat Rubio, then I don't think Rubio will enter the race.  Otherwise, I want whichever guy has the best chance of holding on to that seat.  If that's DeSantis, fine by me.  From the polls I've seen, as things stand right now, DeSantis is still polling in single digits in the GOP primary.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/poll-no-front-runner-in-florida-senate-race-120647

The polls don't indicate Rubio -- Rubio has stated that he is going to resign his Senate seat.  The GOP nominee will be voted on in August.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 03:40:13 pm »
The polls don't indicate Rubio -- Rubio has stated that he is going to resign his Senate seat.  The GOP nominee will be voted on in August.

The polls don't indicate Rubio because he's not an announced candidate, and therefore doesn't appear in the polls.  But if he does enter the race, I think it's unlikely that a guy currently polling third, at 9%, becomes the favorite to beat him.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 04:51:29 pm »
What kind of man says "Trump simply can't represent us as the nominee" then turns around and endorses him?

A man who will compromise his deepest principles, that's who. 

What made Trump suddenly acceptable?  That he's not Hillary?

What a sorry reason to support a political candidate, eis specially when, as I believe, Trump is no better than Hillary.
Rubio is looking out for Rubio. I know it part of the act to go along with the party's nominee (Harry Truman despised JFK, but endorsed him anyway), but at some point you have to act on principle.
Rubio is almost saying "yeah...I know he's an a..hole, but I have to do this." He doesn't have to do it. But he wants another shot at the presidency. In this case principle is taking a beating.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »
More evidence that the GOP Establishment is A-OK with Donald Trump as the party nominee.   10294
It seems odd that Trump and the Trumpsters are now willing to accept endorsements from the hated "establishment"?? Shouldn't Donald and the Trumpsters be telling Rubio and others like him to take a hike, they don't need their stinking endorsements? What gives? :shrug:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 05:06:29 pm »

All that it shows, is that he is a politician. Be rid of unrealistic expectations for these types, and it is more simple to understand.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln