Author Topic: TRUMP SEALS THE DEAL Unbound delegates put campaign over threshold for GOP nomination  (Read 20380 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

My heartfelt thanks to you both.

The majority of our elected officials are in it for themselves.  My father-in-law recently confronted our congressman about some of the things he said he planned to do, but never even tried.  FIL said," I gave you a large sum of money to help get you elected, but now it looks like you're one of those who were in it for the lifetime health care and $150K pension.  What do you say to that?"

The congresscritter just shrugged and walked away.
People in elected offices would have a whole different perspective of life if they have to serve in the military or as a first responder before they could hold office. It would also weed out those whimpy goody two shoes who think THEY know what's right for everyone else.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Mesaclone

People in elected offices would have a whole different perspective of life if they have to serve in the military or as a first responder before they could hold office. It would also weed out those whimpy goody two shoes who think THEY know what's right for everyone else.

Solution...constitutional amendment granting two votes in all elections to those who've completed honorable Military Service and/or Law Enforcement service.

A kind of "super" citizenship.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline RoosGirl

I'd rather it go back to being just property owners.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There was a little bit of it with Romney, but nothing like this year.
I remember being one of the last holdouts on Romney here. Never was I subjected to as much harassment over it then as I and others are now over Trump—although fortunately I'm not alone this time around.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline RetBobbyMI

Solution...constitutional amendment granting two votes in all elections to those who've completed honorable Military Service and/or Law Enforcement service.

A kind of "super" citizenship.
There you go. I'm all in for that. I could just hear the liberals howl at that for being discrimitory.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'd rather it go back to being just property owners.

Me too.  No skin in the game, no vote.  We used to complain "No taxation without representation!"  Well, representation without taxation ain't no great shakes either.  It's a formula for rampant looting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Mesaclone

Me too.  No skin in the game, no vote.  We used to complain "No taxation without representation!"  Well, representation without taxation ain't no great shakes either.  It's a formula for rampant looting.

Problem with that is that its too complicated trying to define "property". For example, does intellectual property count? Are we talking real estate only?

Offline RoosGirl

Real property that is personally inhabited 183 days of the year.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:25:02 am by RoosGirl »

Offline RetBobbyMI

Problem with that is that its too complicated trying to define "property". For example, does intellectual property count? Are we talking real estate only?
[sarc] yeah but...
It will disenfranchise all those too lazy.
It will disenfranchise all those illegals in this country illegally [stated this way purposefully].
It will disenfranchise all those poor illiterate uneducated voters who only vote DemRat.
Could go on and on...

Offline Mesaclone

Real property that is personally inhabited 183 days of the year.

Does that mean I have to ditch my beach house and live ONLY in the mountain cabin and my Desert retreat?

Offline RoosGirl

Does that mean I have to ditch my beach house and live ONLY in the mountain cabin and my Desert retreat?
Yes. :|

I meant as opposed to living outside of the US.

geronl

Unless you are arguing that people not voting for their own party's nominee

The party's nominee identifies with the other party. Not that I care anymore.

The party has lost me.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes. :|

I meant as opposed to living outside of the US.

Property owners are the only people I'm sure are paying taxes.  I don't want people who don't pay anything to vote on how tax money gets spent.  Parse that any way desired.   :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The party's nominee identifies with the other party. Not that I care anymore.

The party has lost me.

What party?  /s
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

Amendment XIV, Section 2 is what messes all this up.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv#Section_2

But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the executive and judicial officers of a state, or the members of the legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such state, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such state.

This means that if a state were to limit its voters only to people who pay taxes, for instance, then their representation in Congress would decrease.  That is one of the reasons why states do not police their voter rolls.  The more voters, the more Congressmen.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the executive and judicial officers of a state, or the members of the legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such state, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such state.

This means that if a state were to limit its voters only to people who pay taxes, for instance, then their representation in Congress would decrease.  That is one of the reasons why states do not police their voter rolls.  The more voters, the more Congressmen.

Sadly true.  The people tasked with running this thing are incentivized to run it improperly.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RetBobbyMI

But this can be easily offset with the repeal of the 16th Amendment on the power to tax individuals, and put the tax on the states, proportionally to its population.  That would sure cut off the sanctuary city syndrome.